Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do people think TCD is snobby?

Options
  • 13-06-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

do people think TCD is snobby?
    just wondering because a few of our departments/lecturers are a bit snotty, but most are okay, especially in the newer faculties eg engineering ect

90% of students here aren't snobby, and are just normal college plebs.

any funny storiesguys......??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭SherryD

I'd definitely say a lot of Arts students are snobby!

Most of the more science orientated students are grand, "normal students" as you said but after spending 4 years surrounded by them in the Arts block I'd say 90% of them are snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yes, but solely because it's a preconceived judgement (i.e. all NUIG people are crusties, all UCD are D4 heads, all UL people are alcoholics etc...).
    You get snobs and arseholes everywhere, there does seem to be a large contingent of them alright in the arts block but that's to be expected they're "thinkers" and "academics".;)
    It's funny you mention lecturers because I've come across some of the soundest lecturers in Trinity than in some other places I've been. Two lecturers I had would still talk to me even though I had them for a very brief period of time. But you do get your arrogant types.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ehhh the percentage of snobby Arts students would probably be closer to 25%. 90%, as if! English, History and BESS would have high snob counts, not much else though.

Ehhh the percentage of snobby Arts students would probably be closer to 25%. 90%, as if! English, History and BESS would have high snob counts, not much else though.

Let's not forget philosophy!;) I remember two years ago listening to philosophy students talk about other disciplines, "oh Science is too objective, commerce are driven by money etc... so we're the most rounded students".:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

There are at least 5 types of TCD student:

1) HACKS - You may have heard me talk about this before. Altogether they constitute SU heads, SOC heads, student journalists, Student reps, 'Campaigners' etc. etc.

2) ARTS GIRLS - Wear silly clothes and say silly things.

3) HAMILTONIANS - A strange lot but generally the average TCD student, indistinguisable to students in most other colleges.

4) TWATS - These are male students who wear suit jackets, talk in a strange accent and like to read Byron underneath a tree in Stephens Green, hoping and praying someone nearby recognises their genius. (Un-necessary walking cane optional)

5) THE REST - faintly amused and entertained by the ragtag assortment of caricatures above.

P.S- I'm a snobby prick online but I'm only living up to my arts persona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Denerick wrote: »
    There are at least 5 types of TCD student:

1) HACKS - You may have heard me talk about this before. Altogether they constitute SU heads, SOC heads, student journalists, Student reps, 'Campaigners' etc. etc.

2) ARTS GIRLS - Wear silly clothes and say silly things.

3) HAMILTONIANS - A strange lot but generally the average TCD student, indistinguisable to students in most other colleges.

4) TWATS - These are male students who wear suit jackets, talk in a strange accent and like to read Byron underneath a tree in Stephens Green, hoping and praying someone nearby recognises their genius. (Un-necessary walking cane optional)

5) THE REST - faintly amused and entertained by the ragtag assortment of caricatures above.

P.S- I'm a snobby prick online but I'm only living up to my arts persona.

I think i love you............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I think i love you............:)

Get in line darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I worked there during the ball for M*D.

Found them a bit snobby in general.

come 3am

I have never seen a bigger bunch of ejjets in my whole life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

It's usually Eliot, actually. ;)

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote: »

Even worse, the knob-head's knob-head!;)

dan719 wrote: »

Eliot, that old lezzer. Its got to be Kipling, at the very least.

Eliot, that old lezzer. Its got to be Kipling, at the very least.

Don't know about that, might be too contraversial for them...;)

Ah, but this might change their tune somewhat. Such drama, such power! Arts students wet dream:

http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_if.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

El Siglo wrote: »
    (i.e. all NUIG people are crusties

Really? The most I've heard about NUIG is snobby too, or as one girl I know put it "those fcukin snotty NUIG b**ches!"

I'll admit had this generalisation about TCD people but I've met a few people from there and obviously I was wrong.

As life goes on, my ignorant ability to build stereotypes and prejudices is slowly waning. Or at least I hope it is!

Ah, but this might change their tune somewhat. Such drama, such power! Arts students wet dream:

True, but as Orwell said he was "a prophet of British Imperialism". I suppose these knobs find Shakespeare to be a plagarist and refrain quoting this (line 541 on) instead of Kipling.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Whether people in Trinity are snobby or not, people do think it anyways.

So many (especially non-Dublin) people ya talk to, will react with "ooooooooooh Trinnnity eh?" when you mention you go there...

And I do agree that a lot of people in the arts block are snobby. And arrogant.

just-joe wrote: »
    Whether people in Trinity are snobby or not, people do think it anyways.

So many (especially non-Dublin) people ya talk to, will react with "ooooooooooh Trinnnity eh?" when you mention you go there...

And I do agree that a lot of people in the arts block are snobby. And arrogant.

The Arts block gets a hard time but the Hamilton has a lot of meatheads, who are arguably more annoying than mere twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

The Arts block gets a hard time but the Hamilton has a lot of meatheads, who are arguably more annoying than mere twats.

Hmmm, but for the most part people in the hamilton don't treat it as a fashion show, and mind their own business.

But yeah the annoying SU tshirt wearing first year sheep are on the rise in the hamilton, not a good thing. I guess you'd refer to them with the h word.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Indisputably the favourite poem of people who don't read poetry.

• Advertisement

sron wrote: »
    Indisputably the favourite poem of people who don't read poetry.

I did read it before it was aired on ads for rugby...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I've only ever met one person who has admitted publicly to complete strangers at a party (she was not drunk) that she is a racist. She went to Trinity.

On the other hand, three friends of mine from school went to Trinity and they are three of the most level headed, nicest fellas you could meet. Very intelligent lads aswell but always up for a laugh too.

So I would say that a minority of Trinity students give it a bad rep. You do get more than your fair share of c**ts there I'd say compared to other colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

just-joe wrote: »

Amen to that.
    I have learned not to tell anyone I go to trinity anymore. If they ask me, I just say I go to college in Dublin.
    I used to get the odd taxi driver or stranger on the train ask me where I went, and the change in their attitude when I said I went to trinity amazed me. Not all of them, but quite a few.

I didn't have to drink the blood of a goat, shoot a catholic or pledge allegiance to her majesty to get into TCD. I just did my leaving cert like everybody else. Now will you ever **** off and educate yourself on the matter you ignoramus.

Rant/

I didn't have to drink the blood of a goat, shoot a catholic or pledge allegiance to her majesty to get into TCD. I just did my leaving cert like everybody else. Now will you ever **** off and educate yourself on the matter you ignoramus.

Rant/

Thats why people hate Trinity students.

Thank christ you didn't see my original comment so. :o
    You are talking rubbish as usual.
    If someone takes a dim view of me because of the college I go to, then I wont apologise for thinking less of them.

Actually, I've had quite a few people react 'negatively' when I tell them Trinity but usually these are the ones that I went to UCD with and they've a slight inferiority complex...;) Anyone else back home (Laois) just stop asking questions.

Thank christ you didn't see my original comment so. :o
    You are talking rubbish as usual.
    If someone takes a dim view of me because of the college I go to, then I wont apologise for thinking less of them.

This is why people hate Trinity students.

Denerick, I think you are a pretty swell guy and I enjoy your contributions to this forum.
    It truly hurts me that you have taken offence to what I have posted.

I feel I must point out that simply highlighting phrases from my posts which you deem to be offensive, in an attempt to make a point, is lame.
    If highlighting offensive phrases from a post is a way to prove that somebody is of poor character, then I may well be "the reason people hate trinity", but you my friend are the reason people utterly despise the place.

From what I can gather, you have a penchant for belittling anyone that is not a Denerick Ditto. From the "meatheads" in the hamilton, to the "twats" in the arts block. Not even the animal rights protestors are safe from your wild generalizations.

I know my vocabulary is not as vast as your own, but I would like to share a noun with you. One which you may not be familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

...the change in their attitude when I said I went to trinity amazed me. Not all of them, but quite a few.

I used to go out with someone from IT Tallaght. Went to one of his class nights out once, and some of his classmates would literally stop talking to me when they asked where I went and I answered "Trinity". A good chunk of the rest immediately launched into a "Well, la di ****ing dah, posh boy"-style routine. Now, much and all as I can often be a perfectly objectionable twonk, this was always early enough into conversations that I'm almost entirely sure it wasn't because of me personally. And it's possible that I just met a bunch of twats; I'm sure there are Trinity people who'd be hostile to someone from ITT. But in 5 years in this place, I've honestly never met them - there's a bit of joking about other universities, as you get anywhere, but never outright dislike of people simply because they go to the 'wrong' college.

• Advertisement

Denerick, I think you are a pretty swell guy and I enjoy your contributions to this forum.
    It truly hurts me that you have taken offence to what I have posted.

I feel I must point out that simply highlighting phrases from my posts which you deem to be offensive, in an attempt to make a point, is lame.
    If highlighting offensive phrases from a post is a way to prove that somebody is of poor character, then I may well be "the reason people hate trinity", but you my friend are the reason people utterly despise the place.

From what I can gather, you have a penchant for belittling anyone that is not a Denerick Ditto. From the "meatheads" in the hamilton, to the "twats" in the arts block. Not even the animal rights protestors are safe from your wild generalizations.

I know my vocabulary is not as vast as your own, but I would like to share a noun with you. One which you may not be familiar with.

No, I don't think many people hate Trinity students, or anything like it, but there is an entitlement culture among some students, not to mention that quite a few have the same social personalities and social awareness as people placed squarely in the autism spectrum.

Advertisement