Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

design and communication graphics

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'd concentrate on section C, the same 5 topics are in every paper I've seen so you just need to study 2 of those for 90 marks (out of 400, nearly 25%)?

Please correct me if I'm wrong anybody :p

22.5% almost there! THANK YOU for pointing that out by the way, Had no idea section C was that! Im actually pretty decent at section C and my project was decent! Section A will be touch-and-go, B will be mostly completed by 'drawing the given plan and elevation':D

Jesus I could well scrape a C in this long thought to be impossible! You have given me hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mescaline

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Your project will be marked on the HL marking Scheme regardless of the paper you sit, and then added to your OL DCG written exam mark if you change to OL. Surely if you have done such a good project (35%+) a little practice will get you the few percent you need in the exam?

Oh okay thanks, so say 35% HL After corrected Would just convert to 35% OL.
    Hm Yeah i would be better off trying the higher and pass, just fear that some ridiculas projects might push the standard very high. and i then fail.. I Dont understand the wording in the short questions or how to do any of it.. never taught.. and for the Core I know a bit about planes (dihedral angle,intersect,plan elevation) And for applied graphics i could attempt at structural forms and assemblies. Never learned them but they look fairly easy. Could the short questions be anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Mescaline wrote: »
    Oh okay thanks, so say 35% HL After corrected Would just convert to 35% OL.
    Hm Yeah i would be better off trying the higher and pass, just fear that some ridiculas projects might push the standard very high. and i then fail.. I Dont understand the wording in the short questions or how to do any of it.. never taught.. and for the Core I know a bit about planes (dihedral angle,intersect,plan elevation) And for applied graphics i could attempt at structural forms and assemblies. Never learned them but they look fairly easy. Could the short questions be anything ?

The short questions can be on anything from Section B (the Core).
    I'd suggest that you Practice a few Trimetric Questions and maybe Perspective, likely to be in either Section A or B

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Qwerty? wrote: »
    The short questions can be on anything from Section B (the Core).
    I'd suggest that you Practice a few Trimetric Questions and maybe Perspective, likely to be in either Section A or B

would they have a perspective question in section B? i'd love that, they're simple! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

ajjmk wrote: »
    would they have a perspective question in section B? i'd love that, they're simple! :cool:

I'm REALLY hoping that they ask for perspective, axenometric and solids in contact in section B - they were in section A for last year's exam and they're all usually incredibly easy. If oblique planes come up, however, I may cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I'm a graphic designer (did my LC in 2000) - this course sounds very interesting. All they had was regular art in my school which didn't suit me but glad to see such a topic being added to the LC.

Learn something new every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

it's still the same course hidden behind a new name and by giving 40% to a project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Screwedforlc

does any one know where i can get some questions to practice ? T4 not a great help and its too late to get to edco papers

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I'm REALLY hoping that they ask for perspective, axenometric and solids in contact in section B - they were in section A for last year's exam and they're all usually incredibly easy. If oblique planes come up, however, I may cry.
    Doubt that's gonna happen.Since it's only a new course they probably won't vary the paper by much so expect something similar to last years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    it's still the same course hidden behind a new name and by giving 40% to a project

Yes but that 40% is a pretty big deal don't you think? Makes the course far more in touch with the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Just a quick question on geologic geometry:

Point A is at 60 metres
    A to B has a gradient of 1 in 20 rising
    Embankments are 1 in 1
    I came along 100 metres and said this point is at 65 metres (Is this even right?)
    What do I do next? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Just a quick question on geologic geometry:

Point A is at 60 metres
    A to B has a gradient of 1 in 20 rising
    Embankments are 1 in 1
    I came along 100 metres and said this point is at 65 metres (Is this even right?)
    What do I do next? :confused:

What is the difference in height between each contour line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Niall09 wrote: »
    What is the difference in height between each contour line?

Ok.

So, where you have marked off 100 metres on the road, you draw an arc of 5mm on the edge of the road. You then draw a line from A to the edge of your arc. This is now your 60 metre line. Then you just continue on as usual, drawing parallel lines to this new line at intervals of 5mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Ok.

So, where you have marked off 100 metres on the road, you draw an arc of 5mm on the edge of the road. You then draw a line from A to the edge of your arc. This is now your 60 metre line. Then you just continue on as usual, drawing parallel lines to this new line at intervals of 5mm.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

You know the questions with all the parabalas, what are they called again?
    Ok.

How do you tell the measurements (size of the arc, I guess) for when it's cut and when it's fill? This is what I can never tell.

Also, what does 1 and 20 rising mean exactly?

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

The ones with the parabolas are conic sections :D

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    How do you tell the measurements (size of the arc, I guess) for when it's cut and when it's fill? This is what I can never tell.

In the question you are kinda given them. Take last year for example
    Using side slopes of 1 in 1 for the cuttings and 1 in 1.5 for the embankments,

1 in 1 means that you just use the difference between each contour line as the measurement (usually 5). 1 in 1.5 means you just multiply 5 by 1.5, which will give you 7.5mm as your measurement.

Thanks!

This means that for every 20 metres the road advances, the height will go up 1 metre.

Hope that helps! :)

You know the questions with all the parabalas, what are they called again?

Thanks!

Parabolas could be an Oblique planes question but it comes up in other things aswell

The Radius of the arc is determined by how far you come out from your point A and the sideslopes i.e. If it's 1 in 20 rising and you come out 100, then you rise up by 5 (You come up in intervals of 5 because of the existing contours). If sideslopes for embankment was 1:2 then for every metre you come up, you have to go out 2, so If you measure 100m along the road then you are rising by 5 which means you have to come out by (2 x 5) 10 to find the radius of the arc/semi-circle. The Cone goes at the high point of the road for Embankment and at the Low point for cut

So if its 1 and 20 rising you got 100mm from A to your next height?

• Advertisement

So if its 1 and 20 rising you got 100mm from A to your next height?

Well, you can choose to come out 100 because that will increase the height by 5 metres, alternatively you could choose to come out 200 metres and this would result in a 10 metre height rise (You have to increase the height in intervals of 5 because the contours given are in increments of 5 on the given map)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

whatever you do dont rely on folens exam papers for last minute stuff. the sample papers are rubbish too many mistakes and measurements left out..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

We never studied any of those road/contour questions..d'ya think that will matter?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

whatever you do dont rely on folens exam papers for last minute stuff. the sample papers are rubbish too many mistakes and measurements left out..

What mistakes?
    Wasn't the paper last year very similar to the folens sample paper?

ajjmk wrote: »
    We never studied any of those road/contour questions..d'ya think that will matter?:confused:

They are options, you possibly studied 2 others.

domrush wrote: »
    What mistakes?
    Wasn't the paper last year very similar to the folens sample paper?
    The sample papers in the Folans Exam Papers are full of weird Qs and a lot of the dimensions are left out.

Rich1691 wrote: »
    Parabolas could be an Oblique planes question but it comes up in other things aswell

The Radius of the arc is determined by how far you come out from your point A and the sideslopes i.e. If it's 1 in 20 rising and you come out 100, then you rise up by 5 (You come up in intervals of 5 because of the existing contours). If sideslopes for embankment was 1:2 then for every metre you come up, you have to go out 2, so If you measure 100m along the road then you are rising by 5 which means you have to come out by (2 x 5) 10 to find the radius of the arc/semi-circle. The Cone goes at the high point of the road for Embankment and at the Low point for cut
    *High point for embankment, low point for cut*

I need to remember that.

We're going in at 10am tomorrow to practice more with the teacher, need to ask him how to do the skew boreholes thing cause I ain't got a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lisawxx

I answerd 2 short questions
    b-1 perspective...Which i finished completely
    B-3 triangle planes...Which i couldnt do the last part
    C-1 geometry...i done everyting except for thickness of stratum
    C-5 assembley..which was a disaster i put random things together all over the place and then gave up and left
    I done a pretty good project aswel
    Any idea on what percentage or marks i could get for that:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

lisawxx wrote: »
    I answerd 2 short questions
    b-1 perspective...Which i finished completely
    B-3 triangle planes...Which i couldnt do the last part
    C-1 geometry...i done everyting except for thickness of stratum
    C-5 assembley..which was a disaster i put random things together all over the place and then gave up and left
    I done a pretty good project aswel
    Any idea on what percentage or marks i could get for that:confused:
    It's hard to tell but my best guess is that most people who actually put a bit of effort into this subject will 70
    % and up.It's not that hard to get a B3 but the A1 is very hard.I'd say once the result report is issued the everage will be about a B3 throughout the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement