Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

design and communication graphics

Options
  • 12-06-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

any thoughts on what should we cram in the days coming near to DCG? ive wednesday off and will have a little bit of time to spend goin over questions. I know short questions cover a lot of topics, but for the long questions what ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

intersecting solids is an easy question when u know how to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr_Gusty

RedRebel92 wrote: »
    intersecting solids is an easy question when u know how to do
    eats up alot of time tho. i'm avoiding that unless i get caught with other questions. skew lines or solids in contact are much eaiser to do in the 20min you have per qu

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Mr_Gusty wrote: »
    eats up alot of time tho. i'm avoiding that unless i get caught with other questions. skew lines or solids in contact are much eaiser to do in the 20min you have per qu
    20 minutes for a long question? Isn't it 40 minutes? But yeah, I do agree that Interpenetration takes longer than the time you have although it is a pretty easy question

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

actually yeah, what is the timing for each section/question..!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr_Gusty

ajjmk wrote: »
    actually yeah, what is the timing for each section/question..!?
    From a suggested time scheme our teacher gave us i have just dug out.

short qu - 12min each
    long qu - 35min each

2.00 - 2.35 your best long qu
    2.35 - 3.10 second best long qu
    3.10 - 3.45 3 short qus
    3.45 - 4.20 3rd long qu
    4.20 - 4.55 4th long qu
    4.55 - 5.00 finish off/correct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 drurz57

cool, maybe intersecting solids could come up again? that paper last year was easy when ya look back on it... like the oblique plane question and intersecting planes..class like! fingers crossed this year wont be too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Hopefully intersecting solids comes up... I found it absolutely impossible at first but its a million times easier if you keep labelling your points and what lines they hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I'm hoping for a nice interpenatration,assemblies,dihedral angle and dynamic mechanisms question.I have like 3 days to just do dcg so I shoulg be grand.Go over like 6 questions a day and then one of each just before the exam on friday.Only thing I really see screwing me is section A!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Ok I'm seriously screwed for this... And I'm doing higher level T_T

What should I cram within these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Ok I'm seriously screwed for this... And I'm doing higher level T_T

What should I cram within these days?

Interpenetration is okay. My teacher said around half the marks are given for drawing the plan and elevation, finding the inter penetrating plane and starting the auxiliary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Interpenetration is okay. My teacher said around half the marks are given for drawing the plan and elevation, finding the inter penetrating plane and starting the auxiliary.

Thank you! What long questions are predicted to come up? Also what should I do with the short questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Whats the story with margins?

Sorry if this has been asked already but theres so many dcg threads to trawl through :p

Do we need to draw in the margins for the exams? Are they worth marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Whats the story with margins?

Sorry if this has been asked already but theres so many dcg threads to trawl through :p

Do we need to draw in the margins for the exams? Are they worth marks?

No don't waste your time!
    Marking is interesting tho you should take a look on http://www.examinations.ie

No don't waste your time!
    Marking is interesting tho you should take a look on http://www.examinations.ie

Ya those are my bible :p Im just confused though beacause the sample answers have borders but nothings mentioned about them in the marks.
    And what way do we label each sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭clyhh

Here ya go.......

DCG predictions..... Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJoPClsiVpw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

clyhh wrote: »
    Here ya go.......

DCG predictions..... Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJoPClsiVpw

I share his hatred tenfold!

Summary of video: Desription of what a boll*x subject DCG is and how we never should have picked it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Conor108 wrote: »
    I share his hatred tenfold!

Summary of video: Desription of what a boll*x subject DCG is and how we never should have picked it.......

its impossible to learn it from a book but if your teacher is decent its a great subject! Once ya understand why your doin what your doin ya can sort any question yourself...like my teacher spends half the class explainin why ya draw an auxiliary or why ya sswing something around to 3 o clock....75% of the class are goin for A's, myself included:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

its impossible to learn it from a book but if your teacher is decent its a great subject! Once ya understand why your doin what your doin ya can sort any question yourself...like my teacher spends half the class explainin why ya draw an auxiliary or why ya sswing something around to 3 o clock....75% of the class are goin for A's, myself included:D

Everyone doing DCG, envies you *sigh* :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

it's such a prick of a subject.. worst mistake ever picking it.. I should have done russian or japense or anything really other than it.. i loved it til the junior cert but then I decided to pick it because of the project -- now all I can do is the lines in space and stab a shot and the circles in contact question or whatever it's called.. i'm ok at the maps too but other than that... my teacher told us not to get the books because there rubbish and we wouldn't be using them anyway so...

worst mistake ever pickin this subject.. i'm seriously worrying about it like because I can't even look at the short questions or the interpenetrating questions...

I actaully love it and the book I have is actually unreal!!!I taught myself interpenetration and dynamic mechanisms through it.It's the one that has 2 parts,one red and the 2nd blue.Great book!!!

• Advertisement

Im hoping for a near identical paper to last year. Or at least very similar. I'm actually OK at section but C but A & B god...lets not.

Countdown to 906 BETTER do DCG on thursday night...

gant0 wrote: »
    I actaully love it and the book I have is actually unreal!!!I taught myself interpenetration and dynamic mechanisms through it.It's the one that has 2 parts,one red and the 2nd blue.Great book!!!

I thought that was the only book.. it's ok i find the questions dont really match the manner in which they'll be asked in the exam...

Currently going through those slideshow things the teachers have, anyone want them? specify an area if you do its a big file..

What are they like? Is there one on interpenetration?

I thought that was the only book.. it's ok i find the questions dont really match the manner in which they'll be asked in the exam...

Currently going through those slideshow things the teachers have, anyone want them? specify an area if you do its a big file..
    Did you get those off T4??

Hate the ones off T4. The writing goes off the slide usually on top of other writing. They pile clip art on top of each other. Its so bad.:(

The t4 ones are available to anyone on th internet aren't they?

Yea we've established is the t4 ones oh well, and some are better than others they're all done by different people you see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mescaline

I dont even no where to start, my teacher cant explain so i gave up on going to the class.. i just have to pass the subject as i do 7. but i just dont want a big F on my LC results.. and i think id have more of a chance passing a subject i never even did,

But i did the project at honors level ( Worth 40% ? ), my project was perfect, i didnt go to any classes for about two weeks working hard on it. so im hoping for high marks in that. but theres not a chance i can complete or even understand a question on the paper. and its to late to cram as i dont understand alot of it even.

So what im wondering is can i do the paper at ordinary level, Even though my project was done at higher level ? and if so is the project worth the same marks.

-OR-

Whats the minimum i would need to do in the paper if my project was high.

Alot there sorry,
    Thanks.

I'd concentrate on section C, the same 5 topics are in every paper I've seen so you just need to study 2 of those for 90 marks (out of 400, nearly 25%)?

Please correct me if I'm wrong anybody :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Mescaline wrote: »

So what im wondering is can i do the paper at ordinary level, Even though my project was done at higher level ? and if so is the project worth the same marks.

-OR-

Whats the minimum i would need to do in the paper if my project was high.

Alot there sorry,
    Thanks.

Your project will be marked on the HL marking Scheme regardless of the paper you sit, and then added to your OL DCG written exam mark if you change to OL. Surely if you have done such a good project (35%+) a little practice will get you the few percent you need in the exam?

Advertisement