Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Kenny is gone

Options
  • 10-06-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭

Richard Bruton skirted around a question on Primetime of whether he has confidence in Enda Kenny, he has admitted the party is not tapping into the protest mood and getting across their views on political and economic reform. He wouldn't be drawn however on whether he'd stab Kenny in the back to become leader ( I agree with Shane Ross that he's too gentlemanly for that)

My question is, would the people calling for FG to replace Kenny then vote for FG because so many people seem to be put off by Kenny that FG under new leadership should capture 60% of the vote. Or are people just complaining and even after Kenny goes they'll find some other reason not to vote for FG?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Despite being a terrible speaker - Is there any Kenny specific policies that make him less qualified than Bruton? I wouldn't like Kenny to lead this state, but I also wouldn't like Bruton to either. What exactly does Bruton bring to the plate than Kenny doesn't - aside from being a better public speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

My question is, would the people calling for FG to replace Kenny then vote for FG because so many people seem to be put off by Kenny that FG under new leadership should capture 60% of the vote. Or are people just complaining and even after Kenny goes they'll find some other reason not to vote for FG?

I'd have a feeling that it's the latter.

The other point is that good and all as Bruton is, or might be, the fact that - as you and Shane Ross both alluded to - "he's a gentleman" means that I'd be afraid he'd be steamrolled by the same spin machine as regularly seen on boards and as epitomised by Cowen's "those f*&%ers" outburst in the Dáil a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

dlofnep wrote: »
    Despite being a terrible speaker - Is there any Kenny specific policies that make him less qualified than Bruton? I wouldn't like Kenny to lead this state, but I also wouldn't like Bruton to either. What exactly does Bruton bring to the plate than Kenny doesn't - aside from being a better public speaker.

I wouldn't be his biggest fan but sometimes you'd think it was X-Factor or something people were talking about. No-one really could give an answer to why he was so terrible, although his accent came across liek a bad impression.

fontanalis wrote: »
    No-one really could give an answer to why he was so terrible, although his accent came across liek a bad impression.

That didn't stop the far worse (on so many levels) dis dat Be-be-bertie....

.....how come people hold it against Kenny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Unlike Liam Byrne, I do think it's a lot down to his personality. But the bigger issue, of which the Kenny problem is but a small subsection, is the overall way Fine Gael have been presenting themselves. They seem to have adopted this half-hearted complacent attitude to politics. Clearly they hope that they won't be handed the poisoned chalice and be subsequently punished by the electorate for solving a problem created by Fianna Fail. But they're only hurting themselves.

I still maintain that if Fine Gael had grabbed the bull by the horns back in 2008 and started a big campaign advertising themselves and pushing a positive message they could have a chance of getting a full majority. In fairness, they're the lead opposition party to the most unpopular government in the history of the state. Anything less than 40% in the polls should be considered pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Other than being intelligent and eloquent, what qualities do you wish Bruton had that would be necessary to make him a good leader? Bare in mind he also has qualities of honesty, integrity etc that many FFers currently lack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

bruton has a genuine understanding of policy where as kenny is just another populist politician who would rely on civil servants or handlers to feed him , neither are my choice for leader ( leo varadkar is the man ) but at least bruton can be taken seriously when discussing serious matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That didn't stop the far worse (on so many levels) dis dat Be-be-bertie....

.....how come people hold it against Kenny ?

Oh I know, dis dat duther. You can go no lower than Bertie. In the US analysts said people thought Bush was someone you could have a beer with and similarily I suppose you could say people saw the everyman in Bertie.
    Everymen shouldn't necessarily run countries though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

At the risk of repeating myself. Kenny is just not credible, he doesn't inspire confidence and speaks in the Dáil as if he's just read about Irish politics on a postage stamp on the way in on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Other than being intelligent and eloquent, what qualities do you wish Bruton had that would be necessary to make him a good leader? Bare in mind he also has qualities of honesty, integrity etc that many FFers currently lack

I'm not doubting that Bruton isn't sincere. I just don't subscribe to his political philosophy, and as such - I don't feel he would be a suitable leader. I don't feel that either Bruton or Kenny will matter in the bigger picture - as it would be cross-party Fine Gael politics that would determine the future of the state.

I feel that (and I may be wrong), that some Fine Gael supporters are blaming Enda Kenny for their continuing fall. Maybe Enda is (a) problem, but one person surely can't be responsible for an entire party's demise. At least, Enda hasn't done anything noteworthy in bad taste to cause such a downfall on his own.

In my opinion, many people are not happy with Fine Gael's vision, and don't subscribe to it. At least, let's be honest about it - instead of passing the buck entirely onto Enda Kenny. While I'm not a fan of Fine Gael, or Enda Kenny - I think it's unfair to put the entire blame for their loss of support on him alone. It's worth considering that a large portion of the electorate do not like Fine Gael's proposals. For example, their faircare proposals (of which I asked many questions about, and have yet to receive answers).

Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I feel that (and I may be wrong), that some Fine Gael supporters are blaming Enda Kenny for their continuing fall. Maybe Enda is (a) problem, but one person surely can't be responsible for an entire party's demise. At least, Enda hasn't done anything noteworthy in bad taste to cause such a downfall on his own.
    What have FG been doing recently? Moaning about procedural issues in the Dail. No-one except politicians give a damn.

Where are the FG front bench? Other than Bruton tonight I can't think of when I last saw them in the media. How can Coveney be described as a potential leader when we haven't heard from him in years? The FG front bench should be out there working hard telling people what they intend to do, not just attacking everything FF does. Their 100,000 jobs in green energy and whatsits is a pile of crap, bin it.

FG need to get either of Bruton or Yates as leader and they will walk a majority. The front bench is pretty awful, other than Varadkhar I don't know who could replace Kenny.

bmaxi wrote: »
    At the risk of repeating myself. Kenny is just not credible, he doesn't inspire confidence and speaks in the Dáil as if he's just read about Irish politics on a postage stamp on the way in on the bus.

I'm not debating whether Kenny should stay or go, I'm asking if when he is gone will the people who actually cite him as a stumbling block actually vote FG because so many people claim he is what puts them off, then once gone FGs support should sky rocket. But I agree with Liam and imagine people will search for another excuse (not that you have to search to see Kenny is holding them back)

hmmm wrote: »
    What have FG been doing recently? Moaning about procedural issues in the Dail. No-one except politicians give a damn.

Considering that those "procedural issues" are allowing FF to subvert democracy, I think they're perfectly right to highlight and complain about those....

.....in doing so, they're certainly trying to represent me, anyway!

I'm not doubting that Bruton isn't sincere. I just don't subscribe to his political philosophy, and as such - I don't feel he would be a suitable leader. I don't feel that either Bruton or Kenny will matter in the bigger picture - as it would be cross-party Fine Gael politics that would determine the future of the state.

In my opinion, many people are not happy with Fine Gael's vision, and don't subscribe to it. At least, let's be honest about it - instead of passing the buck entirely onto Enda Kenny. While I'm not a fan of Fine Gael, or Enda Kenny - I think it's unfair to put the entire blame for their loss of support on him alone. It's worth considering that a large portion of the electorate do not like Fine Gael's proposals. For example, their faircare proposals (of which I asked many questions about, and have yet to receive answers).

Just my opinion.

interestingly your point about not blaming their failure to capitalise in the polls all on Enda was echoed by Bruton on Primetime. He recognises that the party needs to refocus their message and redouble their efforts to get it across. He is not shying away from taking some blame for their lacklustre performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The Irish Times opinion poll, in my opinion anyway, proves that all you need to do is talk the talk to get the upper hand here. Gilmore tops it, just like Bertie did, whilst Kenny and Cowen plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The thing I always find amusing is that when the shi** is once again hitting the fan in ff HQ, there are as many questions being asked about Kenny's leadership as there are about biffos' leadership.

Yesterday three iminent economists/financial experts came out and basically stated that the current leader of the government and the majority party, whilst minister of finance, allowed the banking system operate in a manner which has led to it becoming basically insolvent and having to be bailed out by the taxpayers to the tune of possibly 100 billion.
    That is not even mentioning him fanning the flames of the property bubble.

Yet we have a couple of threads questioning the leader of the primary opposition party and his second in command the finance spokesman.

Unfreaking believable.
    Just goes to show the real power of ff spin doctors and media hacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jmayo wrote: »

or maybe people have no confidence in Kenny for a reason?

Absurdum wrote: »
    or maybe people have no confidence in Kenny for a reason?

Right now would you rather Kenny and Bruton (in their respective positions) in charge or the current encumbents (Yes or No please) ?

There's no denying that it's an indictment of FG that they can't capitalise on the worst and most corrupt government in history.

There is one saving grace for Kenny, and that is the fact that the biggest con-artist of them all - Ahern - was "popular" with a lot of people; therefore it's obvious that the people don't know what actually makes a good leader.

To me, Bruton is the obvious choice as a Minister for Finance that actually knows what he's doing, and if Kenny is a proper organiser and can get things done, rather than being a fake "all men to all people" then I'd prefer that pairing.

But apparently a large proportion of the electorate don't appear to put competence and ethics as high priorities, preferring to vote for someone they could go for a pint with.

Personally, I don't care whether I could go for a pint with a Taoiseach; I've enough friends to do that with, and the Taoiseach's job is to ensure that I can afford to still go for the odd pint (among other things).

Kenny is a victim of the Ahern era, where false public persona took precedence over ability, ethics and actual leadership.

So FG have a call to make; educate the electorate or bite the bullet and make the change.

It's tough on Kenny, particularly given the chronic and objectionable performance of Cowen in two roles, but I suspect that he - Kenny, not Cowen - will see this and do what's good for the country, thereby further highlighting the difference between himself and Cowen.

The fact that FG aren't capitalising on FF's track record - particularly when the best option - Gilmore - is hampered due to being tied to the unions and PS, is a stunning indictment of the electorate, though.

The thing I always find amusing is that when the shi** is once again hitting the fan in ff HQ, there are as many questions being asked about Kenny's leadership as there are about biffos' leadership.

Yesterday three iminent economists/financial experts came out and basically stated that the current leader of the government and the majority party, whilst minister of finance, allowed the banking system operate in a manner which has led to it becoming basically insolvent and having to be bailed out by the taxpayers to the tune of possibly 100 billion.

Yet we have a couple of threads questioning the leader of the primary opposition party and his second in command the finance spokesman.

Unfreaking believable.

Whatever about other Kenny threads, but

1. I started this thread and I've been vaccinated against FF spin so I'm immune to their bullsh1t.

2. This thread isn't about Kennys leadership, I'm not trying to debate that or question Brutons qualities as a possible new leader, although on both Primetime and Vincent Browne tonight I heard the clearest indications that Bruton is waiting in the wings. I'm questioning those who say Kenny is preventing them from voting FG. Is this really true, as in if Kenny went would they actually vote FG or find another reason not to? Kenny isn't an issue for me in voting for FG so I want to know if his stepping will influence the votes of a significant number that complain about his leadership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I'm not debating whether Kenny should stay or go, I'm asking if when he is gone will the people who actually cite him as a stumbling block actually vote FG because so many people claim he is what puts them off, then once gone FGs support should sky rocket. But I agree with Liam and imagine people will search for another excuse (not that you have to search to see Kenny is holding them back)

That sounds a little paranoid. . Why would anyone need an excuse not to vote for FG ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I like Kenny and think he'd be a major improvement on Cowen but at this stage, I think he needs to step aside. His personaliity is hurting FG so badly that even people like myself who detest FF will consider giving voting for them ahead of FG in order to keep Labour/The Unions away from power.

hmmm wrote: »

Where are the FG front bench? Other than Bruton tonight I can't think of when I last saw them in the media. How can Coveney be described as a potential leader when we haven't heard from him in years? The FG front bench should be out there working hard telling people what they intend to do, not just attacking everything FF does. Their 100,000 jobs in green energy and whatsits is a pile of crap, bin it.

FG need to get either of Bruton or Yates as leader and they will walk a majority. The front bench is pretty awful, other than Varadkhar I don't know who could replace Kenny.

ivan yates leaving politics was a disaster for both fine gael and the country , presentation is hugely important nowadays , much more so than policy ( as eamon gilmore has shown ) and kenny simply doesnt come across well , under yates , fine gael would indeed walk to an overall majority , why wouldnt they , fianna fail afterall have lost 25 points since the last election , the swing vote won it for fianna fail in 2007 , most of that swing vote is now unemployed yet ( because of inda ) has not crossed over to fine gael

Unfreaking believable.

the goverment party of the day has been found guilty of allowing the economy to crash and burn and has subsequently seen a massive collapse in thier support, yet despite all this , the main opposition party has failed to capitalise , how can anyone be genuinly surprised when questions are then asked of the main opposition parties leader , thier,s no hackery about it

Unfreaking believable.

I thanked the post, jmayo, but I do have an issue with this.......the fact that FG haven't capitalised IS a discussion point.

That said, I'd question why the polls were released on the same week as the reports, which just happened to be the same week as the FF TDs were skiving off on early holidays......

A poll next week, following the reports sinking in and (some) TV and radio shows forcing FF to tow the party line in defending the indefensible, would make a lot more sense.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    There's no denying that it's an indictment of FG that they can't capitalise on the worst and most corrupt government in history.

There is one saving grace for Kenny, and that is the fact that the biggest con-artist of them all - Ahern - was "popular" with a lot of people; therefore it's obvious that the people don't know what actually makes a good leader.

To me, Bruton is the obvious choice as a Minister for Finance that actually knows what he's doing, and if Kenny is a proper organiser and can get things done, rather than being a fake "all men to all people" then I'd prefer that pairing.

But apparently a large proportion of the electorate don't appear to put competence and ethics as high priorities, preferring to vote for someone they could go for a pint with.

Personally, I don't care whether I could go for a pint with a Taoiseach; I've enough friends to do that with, and the Taoiseach's job is to ensure that I can afford to still go for the odd pint (among other things).

Kenny is a victim of the Ahern era, where false public persona took precedence over ability, ethics and actual leadership.

So FG have a call to make; educate the electorate or bite the bullet and make the change.

It's tough on Kenny, particularly given the chronic and objectionable performance of Cowen in two roles, but I suspect that he - Kenny, not Cowen - will see this and do what's good for the country, thereby further highlighting the difference between himself and Cowen.

The fact that FG aren't capitalising on FF's track record - particularly when the best option - Gilmore - is hampered due to being tied to the unions and PS, is a stunning indictment of the electorate, though.

I believe that FG are falling in the polls thanks to fact that public sector and even non public sector voters believe they will want to bring in drastic cuts if they get in.
    Also the ff spin machine (with major thanks to ffers like tubridy) is working overtime to continously snipe at Kenny.
    I actually like Kenny, I know that draws derision from many, but he is very personable in small groups whereas on the likes of the telly he comes across as contrived and desperate.
    He managed to reorganise a party that was low in moral and competed against one of the most popular taoiseachs ever (well lots of the Irish electorate thought so) who had a huge supposedly thriving economic miracle (which I know most sensible people knew was a sham).
    Oh and he is honest and ethical which would definetly rule out him being in ff.

The other major thing is I want Richard Bruton to be the country's finance minister and by having him as leader his ability is lost to that portfolio.
    Who else as leader of FG ?
    Varadker may be popular with some, but to many he is too far right and too inepxerienced.
    Hayes, I don't think so.
    Lots view Coveney as some great shining light, but I don't think is all he is cracked up to be.
    Reilly maybe one day but again I would hope he gets his teeth into health.
    Yes Ivan Yates would have been very good, but he is no longer around.

Feck I'll go for another Mayo man.
    No not Johno (who has to win All-Ireland first), but Michael Ring ;)
    Himself, jack neddy o'keefe and john o'donoghue could have great Dáil debates.

On the other side Gilmore and Labour are up in polls thanks to Gilmore's spiffy speeches always shown on RTE news programs about the Dáil and the fact that public sector voters are moving towards them since they are only ones not offering the facts that they will have to face cuts.
    That sounds a little paranoid. . Why would anyone need an excuse not to vote for FG ?

Ah you're back but only on a thread that discusses the opposition.
    Why not come back on one of the threads discussing the fact that three imminent financial experts have come out and lambasted the performanc of both the previous ff led government and especially the performance of the current ff and government leader whilst he held the position of minister of finance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

I see an issue with the lack of passion displayed by Enda Kenny when he's speaking. To my mind, if someone can't display passion on a subject, can we really be expected to accept that they care deeply?

At this point in time, I really think we need someone who can display the fact that they have a deep passion for improving our current situation. Joan Burton, is in the same camp as Kenny in this regard. Whilst both talk a deal of sense at times, neither come across as if they are doing anything other than spouting out something they memorised earlier.

There is an argument of course that both are excellent organisers and even thinkers, but this could be done from a back room position. A political party needs a leader with whom the voters can connect, Kenny is not this man. I would like to vote FG as I believe that they have a chance in improving our situation, I think Bruton genuinely can offer some positivity, my main problem though, is that here we have a party who tell us that they care enough about our country and have the ideas, to put us in a better place, yet the will stand behind a leader who could quite possibly prevent them from getting into the position which would allow them to implement these.

So, from where I am sitting, it looks like FG are putting party loyalty ahead of the people - I have an issue voting for the same circus run by different clowns. If they installed Bruton as leader, it would indicate for me that they are willing to do what it takes to fix the situation in the country, until then, I'll continue to sit on my fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'm not debating whether Kenny should stay or go, I'm asking if when he is gone will the people who actually cite him as a stumbling block actually vote FG because so many people claim he is what puts them off, then once gone FGs support should sky rocket. But I agree with Liam and imagine people will search for another excuse (not that you have to search to see Kenny is holding them back)[

I, certainly would have no difficulty in citing Enda Kenny as the main reason why I wouldn't give FG my NO. 1 vote for the reasons I stated but it's not as simple as that.
    In my electoral area the FG TD. is one of those pet hates of mine, a dynastic TD. I had very little confidence in his father's abilities and have equally as little in his. The party, as a whole, does not inspire confidence, the population is disillusioned with politicians and they have no faith in FG to right the wrongs of FF .
    FG, like FF need a good shake up, starting with Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just my opinion.

wasn't his performance in the debate with Ahern the main reason FF won the last election? the fact is with Fianna Fails unprecedented unpopularity, FG should be close to a full majority were an election to take place now.

when you have people coming out and saying the following "Brian Cowen is a disaster, but i cannot bring myself to vote for Enda Kenny as leader of this country"
    i think that says it all. he just don't convince people that he knows what he is doing.

• Advertisement

when you have people coming out and saying the following "Brian Cowen is a disaster, but i cannot bring myself to vote for Enda Kenny as leader of this country"
    i think that says it all. he just don't convince people that he knows what he is doing.

This is what I want to explore. I suppose a poll would have been better than a thread because a thread gets dragged into debating Kenny as party leader (which has been done to death elsewhere). What I want to do is much simpler, I want to quantify the number of votes that would be brought in by Kenny stepping aside. The question is 'if you currently wouldn't vote for FG (which rules out people like me,Liam Byrne, jmayo etc), would you be likely to vote for them if Kenny stood aside. If the No's greatly outweigh the Yes's (i.e. If his detractors still wouldn't vote for FG) then Kenny shouldn't stand aside but if it's the opposite and he truly is a significant stumbling block for voters then FG need to have a serious internal debate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement