Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

c002a.jpg
    Just taken - the bright lights of the Castle Nite Club - opening this Friday rumour has it. I'll be moving to new accommodation if it turns out to be as bad as anticipated. It really is great the way residents have little or no say in the opening up of such a place and I'm sure that the judge who approved the licence doesn't live nearby. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The residents of the apartments above the Castle are in for a shock when it's up and running.Ah well the joys of living in the town centre,good points-everything is handy,no need for taxis etc.Bad-the noise,vomit on your doorstep,drunken idiots at night,crap views of abandoned shops and buildings.
    Pity there wasn't as much effort put into renovating the Atheneum.
    http://www.castlenightclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Cant believe that someone is going to open the Castle, i saw the 'interview' in the Echo a few weeks ago. I say interview loosely. 'This is not about money' was one quote. Well lucky for Mr. Kehoe because i cant see this town being able to sustain another night club and given the finances needed to turn The Castle into anything remotely able to compete with the spec and comfort of the competion is going to deem this project a financial black hole. '150k of his own money' has already being spent. 150k would just about gut the place and put in some base to start actually re-building the place. When PJ Doyle closed The Castle he basically locked the doors and walked away. As you can see by the picetures on the facebook page all the orginal fixtures and fittings were still place.

A clean, coat of paint and some new sofa's wont do anything for this place. I would be surprised if it didnt require major work to make health and safety and fire officer and licensing authorites happy.
    1. Full re-wire
    2. Full re-plumbing
    3. Refit male and female WC's with hot water at sinks
    4. Structure and insulation (fire rated)
    5. Fire Detection System
    6. Emergency / Backup Lighting
    7. New Bar / Counter / Shelving
    8. New Coldroom / Beer Lines / Taps / Coolers
    9. Fire Certificate - thats means you cant paddlock fire doors
    10. Decoration / Carpets / Tiling / Timber Floors
    11. Sound and Lighting System
    12. Heating / Ventilation / Air Con / Extraction

Then a bigger head ache if they are going to do food, coldroom, catering equipment, stainless steel fit out etc etc.

150k wont open this dump. It has had its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

It really is great the way residents have little or no say in the opening up of such a place and I'm sure that the judge who approved the licence doesn't live nearby. :rolleyes:

Thats called democracy - the majority of people want the Castle to re-open.

There has been a Niteclub / dance hall, skateing rink etc on that site for Decades - why did you decide to live beside a niteclub?

Will people object to the Athenaeum Restoration project ?
    The Athenaeum Restoration project want to re-open a theatre. It will have large crowds of people leaving, making noise, late at night. By your logic you should object:).

zerks wrote: »
    I pay good money for my bins and wouldn't dream of flytipping.I enjoy unspoilt countrysides and having scum dump their waste everywhere really boils my blood!

100% agree. I'd eat my rubbish before I'd dump it on the side of the road.

These litter louts need to be dealt with severely. Its a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

the majority of people want the Castle to re-open.

Can you give us a little more insight into this statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

RKQ wrote: »
    Thats called democracy - the majority of people want the Castle to re-open.
    Source on this? I notice the Castle facebook page has a lot of fans, but very few people actually expressing an interest - if that many people wanted it opened, you'd think they'd be asking when it'd be opening and the like?
    There has been a Niteclub / dance hall, skateing rink etc on that site for Decades - why did you decide to live beside a niteclub?
    Be that as it may, there's been nothing on that site for quite some time at this stage, and you can be sure that there are people living in the vicinity who moved in since it closed, and when there was no talk of it reopening. Honestly, that's like saying that anyone living in the vicinity of the old Minch Norton site on the Island Road should just expect that a new full scale operation could start up there any day, and deal with it if so - absolute rubbish!
    Will people object to the Athenaeum Restoration project ?
    The Athenaeum Restoration project want to re-open a theatre. It will have large crowds of people leaving, making noise, late at night. By your logic you should object:).
    Don't make me laugh with this tripe - the Athenaeum's "late at night" and the Castle's have always been significantly different! 11pm-12am typically being a very late one for the former, vs 2-3am and later for the latter. Not to mention that the Athenaeum as a theatre can be an amenity at any time of the day, and has been used as such with the Drama Festival in past years. Finally, the levels of anti-social behaviour generated by the two are incomparable. Night clubs by and large have fights outside them, vomiting drunks in the vicinity, and all the rest - I honestly can't recall the last time I heard of something like this from the Athenaeum, nor any theatre - could there perhaps be a reason for this?

So yeah, you fail to convince on all counts, I'm afraid.

cython wrote: »
    So yeah, you fail to convince on all counts, I'm afraid.

I don't think so.
    If you want peace & quite go live in the country. You should expect noise in an Urban envirnoment. A town cenre location is always going to have noise and anti-social behaviour. But there are many advantages to living in the town centre.

The Castles niteclub has been closed for a few years but it was always likely to reopen... fool if you thought otherwise.

Theatre goers can drink too much and be anti-social. Niteclubs & theatres are similar in many way - large crowds, noise, drink.

the majority of people want the Castle to re-open.

Just getting back to this statement - can you provide us with the facts here to validate this statement?

Thanks

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Just getting back to this statement - can you provide us with the facts here to validate this statement?

Thanks

Facebook, everyone I know, the dogs on the street.... why do you want proof?
    Who are "us"?
    I am free to give my opinion, it is no more or less valid than anyone elses opinion.

Can't wait for another Niteclub open in Town. Well done to any business person brave enough to start a business / niteclub / pub or shop in Enniscorthy.

• Advertisement

When someone says "the majority of people want the Castle to re-open" then it assumed to be fact... not opinion.
    I am free to give my opinion, it is no more or less valid than anyone elses opinion.
    Alright... so are you saying that it isn't a fact... it's an opinion based on Facebook, your friends and the 'dogs on the street'?
    why do you want proof?
    Ah, just trying to get the actual facts straight here. I wouldn't like to think that anyone was making un-founded statements in order to support their argument.

I don't think so.
    Listen, you're not trying to convince yourself, rather the other people who are reading your posts, so your own opinion of whether it is convincing is hardly a decent metric - you certainly failed to convince me, and it seems jpb1974 is less than convinced too.
    If you want peace & quite go live in the country. You should expect noise in an Urban envirnoment. A town cenre location is always going to have noise and anti-social behaviour. But there are many advantages to living in the town centre.
    I don't deny that some level of noise is to be expected, but there is still such a thing as excessive noise in a town centre.
    The Castles niteclub has been closed for a few years but it was always likely to reopen... fool if you thought otherwise.
    Your opinion, perhaps. I could just as easily say that given all the rumours in the past of a reopening that came to nothing, it was never going to happen. Blind assertions, however, aren't strengthen anyone's case here. I will point out that there are people living in the vicinity who were never in the Castle, and would have been pretty much unaware of the history, never mind any likelihood of reopening, are they also fools for simply being unaware or unfamiliar with the town? Hardly.
    Theatre goers can drink too much and be anti-social. Niteclubs & theatres are similar in many way - large crowds, noise, drink.
    I think the key word here is "can". Anyone "can" do a lot of things, but you fail to actually address the contrast between the two groups that I pointed out. Can you give me an example of where a group of theatre goers have caused the same disruption as a night club, and at the same hour, please? And I mean people attending a theatrical presentation, rather than a crowd going to something like a rock concert in the Olympia Theatre in Dublin.
    Facebook, everyone I know, the dogs on the street.... why do you want proof?
    Who are "us"?
    Well 2 users have asked you for a source/proof, perhaps that could justify the use of "us"?
    True enough, but most of what you have posted has been stated as if it were fact, rather than your opinion.

For the benifit of the Tape, I believe that the majority of the people of Enniscorthy want the Castle to open - FACT.

Maybe jpb1974 can organise an election to prove me wrong.

For the benifit of the Tape, I believe that the majority of the people of Enniscorthy want the Castle to open - FACT.

Maybe jpb1974 can organise an election to prove me wrong.

Well.. when you consider that you are the one that came up with the sweeping statement "the majority of people want the Castle to re-open" with sweet phuck all fact to support it I think you're the one who needs to run an election to prove yourself right ;)

True enough, but most of what you have posted has been stated as if it were fact, rather than your opinion.

Now thats just your opinion....:)

Your reference to the Olympia Theatre is quite apt. If you look at the origins of theatre you will know that audience partcipation was extremely important - boo's, hisses, applause were all part of the show. Nothing compares to the "live" vibe of a show where literally anything can happen.

I'm sure Gun's & Roses expected to get away with being late on stage but the audience made their anger known - thats live theatre!
    Even diehard fans can change with the mood & vibe of the crowd.

It is not unknown for theatre performances to cause riots, appall christians or involve demonstrations - in the "Western world"

It is not unknown for theatre performances to cause riots, appall christians or involve demonstrations - in the "Western world"

FFS... give us a break...

Comparing The Athenaeum in Enniscorthy to The Castle Nightclub in terms of rows and general disturbances is totally and utterly moot.

I've been outside The Athenaeum on many occasions back in the day and other than a few people chatting after a show or a meeting there wasn't so much as a squeak.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Comparing The Athenaeum in Enniscorthy to The Castle Nightclub in terms of rows and general disturbances is totally and utterly moot.

I'm not comparing the Athenaeum to the Castle Niteclub.

I was discussing the origins of theatre and the unpredictable mood of the crowd. Please try and read my post rather than disect it.

There was quite a disturbance in the Athenaeum on Easter Sunday 1916:D
    I believe some local residence found the gun fire quite noisey.

There was quite a disturbance in the Athenaeum on Easter Sunday 1916biggrin.gif
    I believe some local residence found the gun fire quite noisey.

And the relevance to this thread?

Sure if you stopped talking shíte and merely said something along the lines of "In my opinion I'm delighted to see The Castle re-opening" then there'd be no problem.

But instead you rabbiting on about "the majority", Guns & Roses, the Olympia Theatre, Easter Sunday 1916 etc

With all due respect, for the most part you're talking a load of waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

You cant stick a finger in the air and guess what the feeling is in the town to the opening of The Castle or anything for that matter, the only way we will know is when the place opens and starts to trade. In my opinion nostalgia rarely turns to profits, people often look back with rose tinted glasses at these things but the clientele of the original nite club have moved on and look for different things from their night out. Its name alone wont attract new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

as you can see ,just like this thread here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977320

it is pointless arguing,it goes nowhere......

Now thats just your opinion....:)

Your reference to the Olympia Theatre is quite apt. If you look at the origins of theatre you will know that audience partcipation was extremely important - boo's, hisses, applause were all part of the show. Nothing compares to the "live" vibe of a show where literally anything can happen.

I'm sure Gun's & Roses expected to get away with being late on stage but the audience made their anger known - thats live theatre!
    Even diehard fans can change with the mood & vibe of the crowd.

Way to beat around the bush without addressing the specific question which was asked of you. I've had it with your posts, to be quite honest. Numerous times you have been asked specific questions, and waxed lyrical about largely irrelevant rubbish, while cherry-picking words (not even points) to suit references you make. You might make a decent politician in this country with that tactic, but unfortunately for you, I have about as much time for the majority of what they say as I have for the dirt on the underside of my shoe, and at this point, so I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from that as to how I rate your contributions thus far.

I've had it with your posts, to be quite honest. Numerous times you have been asked specific questions, and waxed lyrical about largely irrelevant rubbish, while cherry-picking words (not even points) to suit references you make..., I have about as much time for the majority of what they say as I have for the dirt on the underside of my shoe, and at this point, so I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from that as to how I rate your contributions thus far.

Ditto
    I find your contributions negative and aggressive. Name calling and references to dog doo say a lot about you and your level of maturity.

I think you and jpb1974 like being negative and aggressive. Its a pity neither of you can make an intelligent argument to support your view. jpb1974 talks a lot of waffle.
    This forum is about debate, give it a try without negative attempts to put me down.

Maybe Enniscorthy continues to suffer and fail due to people like both of you - Negative, aggressive, back-biting.
    Maybe if people were more positive this town could grow and prosper.

I'm off to the beach, no real debate here.

I don't think so.

Get real - I moved in after the niteclub kip closed and nobody thought it would ever reopen. I don't live in the town out of choice but still have as much right to peace and quiet as somebody who is lucky enough to live outside the town. As it is we have boy racers roaring through the town at all hours of the night and people shouting/blowing car horns/fighting/vomiting etc.etc...When is enough, enough? To compare the kip with the Athenaeum is plain stupid and there's obviously no point in trying to argue that point with you. :rolleyes:

Jaysus I just dropped in and found an argument over a nite club.For people of my age the opening is irrelevant.I went there when it was THE place to go.I grew up and found better places.
    Hard to judge how the place will do-will retaining the name The Castle actually do more harm than good.The only ones I know of that are actually excited about it opening are actually too young to go except for teenage disco's.(based on feedback from nieces and nephews
    We need something different in the town,a mix of nite club,live music venue (with decent bands) and comedy club.I know that the Bailey tried this but as a venue it's totally unsuitable for anything other than private functions.
    Can't believe people getting so riled up over it,time will tell if the town needs it.Money talks and if it doesn't make money it'l close.No matter where a club opens somebody will be affected-fact of life,petty name calling and arguing won't solve anything.
    Wouldn't it be nice to see that and the Atheneum open,at least then folk would have a choice of nightime entertainment.
    Another thing-how long before somebody gets killed outside of the place by a moron boy-racer showing off on a Saturday night.At least back it the day very few young fellas had cars.Maybe just close the street on weekend nights-saw a similar thing recently,once it hit 8pm the barriers went up and cars diverted,worked very well.

Just heard this evening 'grand' reopening at least two weeks away.

I remember when it was open before,the guys that were barred would just hang around outside all night and end up causing most of the trouble,amazing how the guards never moved them on considering the same ones caused trouble every week.I'm sure you can't wait Judgement Day,I don't envy you where you live.
    The security just put guys out on the street and after that it's fair game-I'd be p!ssed off having to put up with that every weekend.
    Private ventures are being tried in the town,some not as popular as others-pity the council wouldn't show as much interest or drive to invigorate the place.

Just been down to Wexford-bit of a difference compared to Enniscorthy.Seats and tables on the street outside Maggie Mays,The Crown and Mackens.Bit of a buzz around-nice and relaxed for a Friday evening.Back to Enniscorthy-boy racers tearing around,no life in town only depressed looking people doing late shopping.
    Oh I forgot,no drinking in public in Enniscorthy unless you're one of the town drunks,then you get a free pass.:(

• Advertisement

Just found this-funny but true.

Advertisement