Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big C

Options
  • 28-08-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Multiple Oscar nominee and three-time Emmy winner Laura Linney will give series television a try in Showtime's new half-hour series about cancer, the cable channel announced.
    The series, tentatively titled The C Word, will also be executive produced by Linney, who stars as a suburban wife and mother who explores the emotional ups and downs of a cancer battle. She is, however, able to find the light side of the dark situation.
    "Cancer is not usually the subject of half-hour comedy, but Laura saw what we did in this complex show," Robert Greenblatt, Showtime's president of entertainment, said in a statement. "She will no doubt make this character both heartbreaking and disarmingly funny, and we're thrilled that she has chosen this show for her foray into series television."
    Linney earned Emmys for her work on Frasier, Showtime's Wild Iris, and, most recently, for her role in HBO's John Adams miniseries.
    The C Word was created and written by Darlene Hunt (90210, Will & Grace). Hunt will also executive produce the series. The pilot will be shot in the fall.

I cant recall Linney in any comedy role before but she a great talented actress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JP Liz wrote: »
    I cant recall Linney in any comedy role before but she a great talented actress
    From your own news story you posted:
    Linney earned Emmys for her work on Frasier..
    Do you even read them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

She was pretty funny in Fraiser actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

sorry never seen her in Frasier :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The Big C has gotten a big order from Showtime.
    The drama has been picked up for 13 episodes.
    The series will debut next fall.
    The Big C — originally titled The C Word — stars the 45-year-old three-time Emmy winner as a suburban mother who attempts to find humor in her cancer diagnosis.

Oliver Platt is also in the cast

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We Gabourey Sidibe will make her way from the mean streets of ‘80s Harlem in Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire to the cushy, modern-day Connecticut suburbs in the new Showtime dark comedy series, The Big C. Sidibe, who guest starred in the pilot episode, just signed on as a recurring guest star in the half-hour series, which is headlined by multiple award-winner Laura Linney as Cathy, a repressed suburban wife and mother who reclaims her life after a terminal cancer diagnosis. Oliver Platt stars as her immature, but well-meaning husband. Sidibe will play a smart-alecky student in Cathy’s class.
    The Big C, which will begin shooting 13 episodes in May for a late summer premiere, is created and written by Darlene Hunt, who will serve as executive producer, along with Linney, Neal H. Moritz and Vivian Cannon.

Can a mod please rename thread title to The Big C :)

• Advertisement

The Wire's Idris Elba has a multi-episode arc in Showtime's upcoming drama The Big C. The 37-year-old Elba will play a love interest for Laura Linney's character, a Showtime rep says.
    The Big C, premiering Aug. 16, stars Linney as a suburban housewife who tries to find humor in her cancer diagnosis. Oliver Platt co-stars as her husband.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Name change sucks. "The C-Bomb" if they were having issues with the similarity to the L Word.
    This might be interesting.

Cynthia Nixon is ready to tackle The Big C, Showtime announced Wednesday.
    The 44-year-old Emmy and Tony winner will guest-star in four episodes of the premium channel's upcoming series. She'll play Rebecca, the long lost college roommate of Laura Linney's character, Cathy, who comes back into her life and turns it upside down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Laura Linney went to Julliard, she is a fine actress indeed...ergo i may give it show a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Wasn't she in Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City? Wasn't a comedy per se, but had its funny moments....

Episode 1 is out...i'll give it a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's not great. Few parts were sort of funny, but overall not so great. The crazy homeless brother was the best part IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just watced the pilot, i liked the dark humour of it, i think linneys caracter should be a lot of fun to watch, and the old lady across the street should also be fun,

yeah the scene with the brother were funny, especially when i thought he was hanging from the tree, class, :D

also the bathtub scene when the son walked in was funny, but it was obvious and i think im to desensetised by you tube that it wasnt as funny as it should have been, :(

looking forward to episode 2 on RTE in 4 years;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

anyone watching this show, its actuall quiet funny, linney caracter is brilliant and shell just say anything,

seems to just be getting stronger, this week was funny when
    she went house hunting with her doctor, and left the lobster in the pool,

also buying a class car only to learn it was manual (still dont egt why american cant drive with a gear stick) then locking it away for her sons 18th 30th birthday,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Channel 4 has started showing this, just caught the first episode tonight. I wasn't expecting a sitcom - not on this topic - and prefer the dark humour anyway. There's basically no exposition and it's not quite clear exactly what type of cancer Linney's character has, but I don't suppose it matters too much. The Big C is a bit of a sore subject for me. considering the number of people I knew who aren't around anymore because of it, but I can see the makers of the program are being fairly sensitive. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

It gets better, the season finale is a real weepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

just caught this other night, it's pretty good

• Advertisement

Alan Alda is scrubbing in once again, this time for Showtime’s The Big C.
    The three-time Emmy-winning actor will appear in one episode of the series’ second season as Dr. Atticus Sherman, an oncologist Cathy (played by Golden Globe-winner Laura Linney) consults with after she discovers that her previous melanoma treatment has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm enjoying this series. I like how each episode is short and concise - it ends well very episode.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dancy-Posey-BigC-1031291.aspx

British actor Hugh Dancy and indie film darling Parker Posey will guest-star on the second season of The Big C, Showtime announced Thursday.
    Dancy will appear in at least six episodes, playing a cancer patient who befriends Cathy (Laura Linney). Posey will play Poppy, a woman who has a surprising relationship with Cathy's teenaged son Adam (Gabriel Basso).

Season 2 of the series will return on 27th of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

It gets better, the season finale is a real weepy.
    Where are you guys watching this?? Online or....? I'm looking at it on channel4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Does anyone watch this? I love it. It deals with such a scary topic in a dark humour. Just watched a recording of last night's episode- very sad!

I've always liked Laura Linney, and she attended Julliard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eldel

Love it too. I've great time for Laura Linney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

I've watched the first two episodes. I really like it so far. Just one thing is annoying me. Why she doesn't tell anyone she has cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

Keep watching...Laura Linney just wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

I've watched a few more and I'm well and truely hooked. It's a great show.

Advertisement