Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy meteor customer wants an I-Phone!

Options
  • 08-06-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

First of all I want to apologise if this thread was covered before...

I'm a meteor customer and I want to stay with them as it suits my neads. A lot of my mates etc are with them and it just makes sense to stay with them for the free calls/texts.

However I really want to get the new i-phone will be launched in Ireland over the coming weeks. At the moment only O2 and Vodafone sells apple gear.

Any comments on the most cost effective way of staying with meteor but getting an i-phone would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

im the very same i like the meteor network and most of the people i talk and text are on the network too....

i really do hope they launch it this time around but if they dont i will be leaving them this time i have waited 2 years im not waiting any more !!

im out of contract in august if they have not announced it by then , then im leaving !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I'm out of contract for ages and I'm going to switch if they don't get the finger out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No point in even speculating until all the networks price their offerings, tbh.

iPhone tariffs are always different to normal tariffs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why are people so surprised at Meteor not offering the iPhone?:confused: Every time I checked their website down through the years they have absolutely the worst selection of phones available. Why would they suddenly start offering the hottest, most expensive phone on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor actually have a decent range of smart phones. They were the first network to get an Android first and currently have the HTC Hero, Legend, Desire and the Sony Ericsson X10. They also have the Nokia E52, E72, 5800, X6, N97 Mini. Hardly the worst selection of phones.

For the OP, if you don't mind getting one second hand, I'm sure you'll pick up a 3GS officially unlocked once existing customers are getting their upgrades. I know mine has already been sold to a friend to fund my upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

whiterebel wrote: »
    Why are people so surprised at Meteor not offering the iPhone?:confused: Every time I checked their website down through the years they have absolutely the worst selection of phones available. Why would they suddenly start offering the hottest, most expensive phone on the market?

When it comes to PAYG, it is pathetic indeed, Bill-Pay selection isn't that bad though to be fair, and there have been rumblings about the iphone on meteor for months now, hopefully they will lead to something. Dont worry, when they actually do get it, i expect quite a bit of noise to be made of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

They may not officially sell the iPhone but i'd phone the call centre and ask politely if they can do something for you, you might be surprised how helpful they'll be.

In the meantime relax about the availability and dates, you're only adding to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

They may not officially sell the iPhone but i'd phone the call centre and ask politely if they can do something for you, you might be surprised how helpful they'll be.

In the meantime relax about the availability and dates, you're only adding to the hype

Agree!
    My mate phoned up yesterday said her contract was running out and she wanted to leave cause she really wanted a iPhone next thing someone phones her back and says they will post one to her next week if she stays with meteor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

o2 uk are currently unlocking iPhones, once the contract is still paid its fine, or you can buy it on PAYG and pay an extra £15 to get it unlocked. I'm either going to do that if I find out they're definitely unlocking them, wait until I go to rome in october and pick up a factory unlocked one over there like I did with the 3G, or possibly just ring meteor and tell them I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I’m with meteor since day one and there has been no phones or offers that have tempted me on other networks,
    I have been wanting the iphone since it came out, i don’t want to go to o2 or Vodafone, I wish they would get thee finger and a gives us the iphone...

Does anybody know why there so hesitant on releasing the most in demand phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

It's just been announced tha t mobile uk will be selling the iPhone for the first time next month, so anything is possible this side of the pond...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's just been announced tha t mobile uk will be selling the iPhone for the first time next month, so anything is possible this side of the pond...

the mods over on the Meteor forum have already stated that Meteor have no plans to launch the new iPhone. :mad:
    Hi there
    We do realise this is a popular phone.

We have been unable to reach an agreement with Apple in relation to offering the iPhone on the Meteor network.

Thanks
    Meteor talk to us

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

kceire wrote: »
    the mods over on the Meteor forum have already stated that Meteor have no plans to launch the new iPhone. :mad:

That's such a pity. I bet they are devastated. But if they haven't reached an agreement with apple then how are they able to offer it to select upgrade customers. And why are they selling iPhone accessories in their stores?

There are unlocked iPhones now and with Meteors new data plans, there's people on Meteor with unlocked iPhones. From what I hear, they got them sim free from Italy as I had someone who got one in store and there were Italian settings.

dmn wrote: »
    That's such a pity. I bet they are devastated. But if they haven't reached an agreement with apple then how are they able to offer it to select upgrade customers. And why are they selling iPhone accessories in their stores?

Meteor un-officially sourced sim free factory unlocked iPhones and offered them to any high paying bill pay customer that was about to port to another company. they had to sign an 18 month contract though.

Meteors bill pay smart plans are great for any smart phone user so it kinda makes sense to source your own iPhone and pick a smart plan as then Meteor wont have to have an "iPhone" tarrif which may be more expensive and less attractive than some of their current tarriffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

thats it then who should i go with vodafone or o2 ? thats the question !

Doesn't really matter. Not really much between then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was in the same boat a few months back, loved meteor but I really wanted an iPhone. I ended up buying an AT&T iPhone from the US and unlocking it. I only pay 30E a month for 200texts, 200 mins and 1GB of data. You wouldn't get that from O2 or Vodafone on a run of the mill Nokia never mind a smartphone.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I ended up buying an AT&T iPhone from the US and unlocking it.

how did you get around the Social Security Number issue while buying an iPhone in the US?
    i was point blank refused one in the Apple store New York in Dec 09.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kceire wrote: »
    how did you get around the Social Security Number issue while buying an iPhone in the US?
    i was point blank refused one in the Apple store New York in Dec 09.

Just wondering the same thing.....AT&T contract even for PAYG.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

alexlyons wrote: »
    o2 uk are currently unlocking iPhones, once the contract is still paid its fine, or you can buy it on PAYG and pay an extra £15 to get it unlocked. I'm either going to do that if I find out they're definitely unlocking them, wait until I go to rome in october and pick up a factory unlocked one over there like I did with the 3G, or possibly just ring meteor and tell them I want one!

Do you know if these are properly unlocked and can be updated as the latest firmware comes out?

I plan on gettin one in the uk if I can use it on meteor here and update without the fear of it locking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

whiterebel wrote: »
    Just wondering the same thing.....AT&T contract even for PAYG.....

I bought it on eBay, the phone was new in the box and on AT&T.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I bought it on eBay, the phone was new in the box and on AT&T.

That explains it.

Do you know if these are properly unlocked and can be updated as the latest firmware comes out?

I plan on gettin one in the uk if I can use it on meteor here and update without the fear of it locking again.

yes, the iPhone basically become a factory unlocked phone as its unlocked by apple themselves through iTunes.

Buy a Pay go 02 iPhone and cut your sim card and put it in because i got 02 to unlock the 3g im selling and meteor works beautiful full bars 3g. All i did was phone 02 and dont click puk1, click network unlock. And she unlocked it within 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ApplefyMe

Here are your options:
    1)Get a factory unlocked phone from uk or wherever.This way you can update the firmware carefree.You warranty status will also remain intact.

2)Do not purchase an iphone from o2 or vodafone as PAYG hoping to jailbreak and unlock because at present the phones manufactured after week 43 have had a new bootrom that can resist the hacking technique.You can check this by looking at the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number if its 43 and above then leave it.

3)Buy an iphone second hand but preferably from someone perhaps in your local classified ads so you could actually meet up, view the phone check it was made before week 43 and then jb, unlock and voila!!

4)Go with Vodafone or o2 PAYG or tariff by the book

PM me if you need any help with the jailbreak/unlock process

ApplefyMe wrote: »
    Here are your options:
    1)Get a factory unlocked phone from uk or wherever.This way you can update the firmware carefree.You warranty status will also remain intact.

2)Do not purchase an iphone from o2 or vodafone as PAYG hoping to jailbreak and unlock because at present the phones manufactured after week 43 have had a new bootrom that can resist the hacking technique.You can check this by looking at the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number if its 43 and above then leave it.

3)Buy an iphone second hand but preferably from someone perhaps in your local classified ads so you could actually meet up, view the phone check it was made before week 43 and then jb, unlock and voila!!

4)Go with Vodafone or o2 PAYG or tariff by the book

PM me if you need any help with the jailbreak/unlock process

Actually for unlock 02 ireland do it. I got my 3G done as i'm selling it to a non 02 / vodafone customer. I'm gonna ask them to unlock the new one coming out just to have the option to switch in the near future.

Actually for unlock 02 ireland do it. I got my 3G done as i'm selling it to a non 02 / vodafone customer. I'm gonna ask them to unlock the new one coming out just to have the option to switch in the near future.

Oh cool didnt know that!...Do you have to fulfill the 18 month o2 contract first tho?Wouldnt really be of any benefit if you had to.

ApplefyMe wrote: »
    Oh cool didnt know that!...Do you have to fulfill the 18 month o2 contract first tho?Wouldnt really be of any benefit if you had to.

I'm a die hard pay go customer. :cool:

• Advertisement

me likey, must pay them a visit

Advertisement