Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Racing Returns to Dublin City Centre

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Looks like it was a great event.

Just an observation: Dan Martin's bike position looks nothing like a criterium rider. Just about every photo shows him with his hands on the hoods. Apparently that's unimportant for him though - enough watts for 60mins and you can ride anyone off your wheel.

Mr. Skeff's bike position, on the other hand, looks very dialed in:

Crit%20series%2016%206%202010%20108.JPG

Hands in the drops, head & upper body low, knee above pedal spindle, relaxed elbow angle, knee coming up inside elbow. Assuming you can still breathe, that looks very efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

There was one or two negatives. I heard a lot of complaining about being trapped on the inside of the circuit and there were some crazy dashes across the roads as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

jimm wrote: »
    Yep. Fri 25th June.

17:30 Halfords Cycling Tour Series 2010
    The gladiatorial Tour Series ‘battle of the bikes’ brings fast and furious team based races sweeping through towns across the UK and Ireland. This episode comes from Dublin

Hi, I just checked this. It was originally hoped to broadcast it this Friday but the UK production company had to reschedule editing so they'll be broadcast now on 1st (Belfast) and 3rd (Dublin) July on Setanta Ireland at 19:00.

They will be broadcast on 30th June on Setanta 1 at 22:00 (Belfast) and then 17:00 and 18:00 on 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Looks like it was a great event.

Just an observation: Dan Martin's bike position looks nothing like a criterium rider. Just about every photo shows him with his hands on the hoods. Apparently that's unimportant for him though - enough watts for 60mins and you can ride anyone off your wheel.

36997_403992524841_504989841_4577378_737245_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

On the cobbled section DM seemed to consistently favour the Flanders approach: all ten fingers over the middle of the bar.

117654.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

There was one or two negatives. I heard a lot of complaining about being trapped on the inside of the circuit and there were some crazy dashes across the roads as a result

Saw this myself, seems that some of the marshals where not opening thier crossing points causing other crossing points to become swamped.

Also, saw a bunch of drunks open the barrier and stroll across the road without closing it behind them. I'd like to say it was foreigners on a stag weekend but these looked more like regulars who were heading home for dinner after a hard days drinking.

Thought Dan Martin was pure class, looks like himself and Roche will be in top form for the nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭buffalo

The Crunch wrote: »
    Hi, I just checked this. It was originally hoped to broadcast it this Friday but the UK production company had to reschedule editing so they'll be broadcast now on 1st (Belfast) and 3rd (Dublin) July on Setanta Ireland at 19:00.

They will be broadcast on 30th June on Setanta 1 at 22:00 (Belfast) and then 17:00 and 18:00 on 1st July.

argh, nuts, I'll be out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DCC_Cycling (Ciaran)

Really enjoyed that day. I borrowed a bike from the Halford's stand just before the women's race and did five laps. Those cobbles were murder - respect to the riders.

We are having a de-brief meeting on Friday and I wanted to ask everyone what they thought worked well and what worked not so well.

I am particularly interested in riders and spectators views on the course.

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

We are having a de-brief meeting on Friday and I wanted to ask everyone what they thought worked well and what worked not so well.

I am particularly interested in riders and spectators views on the course.

Totally from a spectator point of view...

:( Publicity wise I'd say there needs to be more info put out. The only places I really noticed that it was on, was on cycling boards/websites and that was only because I'd noticed the Mullingar Criterium was on earlier in the week and had been looking for details of that. Anyone I mentioned it to had no idea it was on and already had plans for saturday so weren't around to watch.

:( No publicity about the women's race? I asked a steward earlier in the day and was told it was on at 4.30, so I arrived late and only saw the last couple of laps.

:( Watching from the finishing strait was great with commentary etc, but down the back of the course was harder to keep up with what was happening. Maybe add a speaker or two (perhaps beside the TV cameras?) around the course so everyone can hear?

:( Crossings seemed a bit disorganised at times, so a bit more organisation there perhaps.

:( It's also a shame it was on at the same time as the street performers in Merrion Sq, which was jammed all weekend, obviously took away some possible spectators.

:) All in all, I really enjoyed the event. The course was great to watch (lots of twists/turns down the back, the cobbles, and a big strait to the finish), and a nice length so there was almost continuous action to watch.

:) Finishing straight was great, lots of noise/action/colour/big orange hands.

:confused: Dan Martin. This bit confuses me. On one hand he was absolutely brilliant to watch, and amazing to see a top quality rider like him show how it really should be done. On the other hand he kind of took away from the overall race as he was just so good even four-man teams couldn't get near him! It would be great to see a bit of a challenge at the front of the race...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Publicity for all the bikeweek events was poor. Except for one event which got lots of press:

The cyclists requiring license plates issue...

I actually thought the perception of cyclists was improving untill I read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

My brother works in the city centre and said there were a few halfords mechanics at a stand doing free tune-ups. He went early and got a fair bit done for free. Something to keep in mind for next year folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Hearvee wrote: »
    :confused: Dan Martin. This bit confuses me. On one hand he was absolutely brilliant to watch, and amazing to see a top quality rider like him show how it really should be done. On the other hand he kind of took away from the overall race as he was just so good even four-man teams couldn't get near him! It would be great to see a bit of a challenge at the front of the race...

Confused? I smell a rat....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Really enjoyed racing in the event.

The course was fantastic - I loved it - great contrast (smooth long straight, cobbled windy bit with a climb) - keep it the same next year! (unless it rains)
    Atmosphere was great - the UK lads have been doing this for a while and know how to get things buzzing
    Commentary for the back end of the course (from a spectator POV) would be great.
    The atmosphere on the cobbled climb was amazing (for me as a rider anyway)
    Kids seemed to love it - I guess the music helped

Things I found lacking:
    - Advertisement for the event - some big poster boards etc... in the week leading up to it - the pubs en-route having signs up etc...
    - Lack of toilets for the riders! 51 riders on the start line for a race and no toilets! Jeeez!
    - Maybe hand out more noise making devices? Or sell (at cost?) cow bells etc... Cheap, cheerful and they add a lot

Overall, good job on a great event - I'm glad people enjoyed the spectacle as much as I enjoyed trying to be part of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hearvee wrote: »

I cant be having this bit at all. So instead of encouraging the better riders to come over and give it a shot and letting the fans see them, you want them to not allow martin et al just so its an even race?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Apparently halfords were doing full repairs including parts for free - they even had wheel sets there that they were allowed to fit to peoples bikes at no charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I cant be having this bit at all. So instead of encouraging the better riders to come over and give it a shot and letting the fans see them, you want them to not allow martin et al just so its an even race?

Not what I was trying to say at all! Hence the confused smiley. :confused:
    I thought Martin racing had good and bad points to it (the good outweighing the bad).

Watching Martin race was by far one of the best bits of the event. It really upped the excitement. It had to be great for the lads in the event to try themselves out against him.

But... was there ever any doubt after the first few laps that he was gonna finish well ahead of everyone else? Didn't it take a little away from AnPost winning the series itself? so there was never likely to be a really close finish.

And I agree with you, encouraging the top class riders would be brilliant. Imagine having even 2 or 3 others challenging Martin over the 60 mins last Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Fair enough, but i dont really get what your saying or more to the point suggesting. its up to the lads behind to get closer to him, and surely having him there and learning from his ride will only help them do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Maybe hand out more noise making devices? Or sell (at cost?) cow bells etc... Cheap, cheerful and they add a lot

Like....vuvuzelas?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Like....vuvuzelas?

perfect :)

Also, RE Dan Martin - amazing having him over here and was a great extra buzz from the crowd about it.

Also, he rode the Belfast one which was a very different style and didn't ride away from everyone... The show he put on in Dublin is what I would expect from a rider of his class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DCC_Cycling (Ciaran)

Thanks for these points. Hope we can do it again next year. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

Some pictures from the race at the turn onto Dame Street on my flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65405521@N00/sets/72157624232181479/

I can post hi-res to specific photos if anyone wants/requests them.

Really enjoyed the event-the great weather only made things nicer. Hope that it becomes an annual occurrence with more advanced publicity (posters, radio/TV adverts, newspaper, etc.) for the non-cycling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

on setanta now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

ah crap I missed it. Any idea if its on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Stokolan wrote: »
    ah crap I missed it. Any idea if its on again?

Halfords Cycling is on at 8am and 7.30pm tomorrow. Not sure whether they're Dublin or Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Hi All,

Just wondering did anyone record this, would like to get a digital copy.

Cheers,

Skeff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have it. Will burn it for you later if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Cheers Raam,

Appreciate that.

Skeff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cool, drop me a text when you are calling round.

Advertisement