Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Racing Returns to Dublin City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

great day, just to add to all the positives. Some great pictures of the day too. One negative though, the podium girls were a bit of a disappointment... apologies if that's anyone here.

Spotted tiny, although only realise after looking at his pictures at the time he was "pierced man".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

abcdggs wrote: »
    great day, just to add to all the positives. Some great pictures of the day too. One negative though, the podium girls were a bit of a disappointment... apologies if that's anyone here.

Spotted tiny, although only realise after looking at his pictures at the time he was "pierced man".

ah go way, the brunette was stunning!

Onto the cycling, very well organised, myself and Fran Oconnor from here watched it from outside the Turks head, which was handy as we had a great view, and we could get a pint in the Turks head,

at one point we noticed one the English Raleigh team lads "giving up", I just realised I had some neck saying he was "giving up" as I watched with a pint of Guinness in my hand

we noticed Skeff as well, so kept cheering him on to, I wonder if he noticed?

fairplay to everyone that took part, a great event by all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

abcdggs wrote: »

Low

@Hearvee You must have been down near me for awhile, we stayed on that stretch for awhile, I'll get pics up.

Anyone manage to catch DM fixing chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I think you were standing beside me for a while, I will upload my photos later but I brought the wrong lens, 17-70 was not the ideal one!

I was the guy with big orange finger. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

watched it from outside the Turks head, which was handy as we had a great view, and we could get a pint in the Turks head,

same as. In the sun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

What a great atmosphere in the city we should have more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Low

Anyone manage to catch DM fixing chain?

It was actually an electric cable from his Di2 gears popped out. He'd done a lap in one gear before he figured out what had happened. I thought he was doing it for the show! Nice bit of cobble racing feedback for Shimano...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Looking at the videos there I see a camera bike following Dan Martin. Will this mean we might get some footage at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Stokolan wrote: »
    Looking at the videos there I see a camera bike following Dan Martin. Will this mean we might get some footage at some point?

Looking through http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/ it looks like Setanta Ireland on Friday are showing Belfast at 2pm and Dublin at 9pm. Can't see it any sooner on the schedules.
    You must have been down near me for awhile, we stayed on that stretch for awhile, I'll get pics up.
    I started at the end of Halfords tour sign after the finish line, then moved around and got back in exactly the same spot for the last 10 mins (quite lucky there!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

buffalo wrote: »
    I was the guy with big orange finger. :D

You left on DublinBikes?... or maybe there were two guys with big orange fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Would be great if DCC and CI can maintain this event every year regardless of whether Halfords support it or not.

Dan Martin showed his true class

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Hearvee wrote: »
    Looking through http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/ it looks like Setanta Ireland on Friday are showing Belfast at 2pm and Dublin at 9pm. Can't see it any sooner on the schedules.

That'll be the UK Halford's Tour Series races. The Irish races will be on Setanta in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you briefed.
    There will be an interview with Dan Martin on the Sports Show on Setanta on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

shnoop wrote: »

And here's some footage from almost directly opposite you, shnoop! :) (Yes, I'm just visible in yours.)

The three bits of footage in the video are from lap 3, lap 10ish, and then most of Dan Martin's final two laps. I'm kicking myself that I switched off the camera only a few seconds before the An Post boys sailed up the hill in triumph- sorry lads!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I only had a camera phone, but here's some pics:

Ryan:

4716854754_c3bd5be8bf.jpg

Some chasers:

4716855226_49fde725f4.jpg

Post race hydration:

4716854282_b85b457041.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Just a few of my own dodgy camera phone pics click here

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Just noticed in one of the pics of Dan Martin he's in the small ring! I know he had a very high cadence but still,he hardly rode the whole race in the small ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

yeah - he stayed in the small ring (so did I) - I started in the big but that cobbled climb with cross chaining didn't work so well (chain jumps off the big ring). My average cadence was 103 for the hour and I looked like a masher in comparrison to him!

I'll have reports from both crits on my blog soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

The Crunch wrote: »
    That'll be the UK Halford's Tour Series races. The Irish races will be on Setanta in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you briefed.
    There will be an interview with Dan Martin on the Sports Show on Setanta on Wednesday.

Nope, it says "UK and Ireland", click on the link http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/, then go to Friday 25th June (can't link directly) and it actually says Belfast/Dublin at 2pm/9pm respectively.

Am just going by the episode descriptions on Setanta's own website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I was marshalling at the pits area and managed to get a few pics of both races. Just a pocket Olympus so not great photos.

Think I managed to get godihatede cobbles hills and Caroline_ie among others.

A few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That an post rider (far right in first podium shot) does not look happy.

As someone I know would say, he looks like someone has eaten all his purple M&Ms.

Hearvee wrote: »
    Nope, it says "UK and Ireland", click on the link http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/, then go to Friday 25th June (can't link directly) and it actually says Belfast/Dublin at 2pm/9pm respectively.

Am just going by the episode descriptions on Setanta's own website.

Yep. Fri 25th June.

17:30 Halfords Cycling Tour Series 2010
    The gladiatorial Tour Series ‘battle of the bikes’ brings fast and furious team based races sweeping through towns across the UK and Ireland. This episode comes from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Dan Martin
    Crit%20series%2016%206%202010%20077.JPG

Martyn Irvine
    Crit%20series%2016%206%202010%20079.JPG
    MrSkeff
    Crit%20series%2016%206%202010%20108.JPG
    Crit%20series%2016%206%202010%20095.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

My best shot of Dan Martin...
    4718230439_e2a2d959c0.jpg

...and my favourite shot overall:
    4718230387_1220d3f119.jpg

(click to get to the embiggen page)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

117573.jpg

117574.jpg

117575.jpg

117576.jpg

117577.jpg

niceonetom wrote: »
    117573.jpg

We were standing right at that corner most of the race. DM came closer to us each time than anyone else and at much greater speed. You could hear the squeal of An Post brakes pretty soon after him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

It was tough, very tough, especially on the arse. I was suffering from arse failure this morning cycling to work, it's still sore. The cobbles are not comfortable. Especialy the ones in temple bar. It was probably the toughest race I have ever raced. My cornering was good, my cobbles handling much less, I was unable to power up the cobbles at all. After the 1st laps the girls split in lots of litte groups and I was one of the lone rider, sometimes overtaking people, and was lapped once or twice by the lead group. I thought of giving up everytime I was turning onto dame street... but thought "this will never happen again, might as well just keep on riding". I just realised after the race that i should have tried harder on the cobble and also hold the bars as if I was climbing to be more efficient. LDB and godihatethehils were both brilliant.

The Men's race was incredible to watch and well done to Skeff and Ryan for showing us what it is to reach the pain cave.. It was truly amazing! I wish I had seen them race before me to give us an idea of how to handle those bloody cobbles ...

I hope this happens again next year.

Crit%20series%2016%206%202010%20028.JPG

• Advertisement

Disappointed I missed the Women's races

These guys eventually starting lifting their kilts as the lads went by

4719951567_a9fbc16eb0.jpg

Muscle

4719946843_ed57c8a5e6.jpg

4719950225_8b7e525d34.jpg

4720597248_a629bc68ec.jpg

4719947747_ebfd2bde7b_b.jpg