Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best wireless broadband in Dungarvan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Nope. I still have the rubbish Cisco router they gave me a few years ago. Its a replacement for a replace ment for a replacement. The things just break for no good reason , then the engineer comes to my house and blames everything but the router when its always been teh router. I am no nebie with computers and Know what I am doing. Every time I told the engineer it was the router but I may as well have been telling a priest that god is not real.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I got my letter, change over day is April 30th.

Price for internet only if I do nothing is €54 a month for 240mb.

There was a leaflet in there also, €49 a month, for 240mg, 50 channels, and home phone.

I’m going to have to ring them and haggle, don’t want a phone, and I want the bigger channel package.

I use Kodi a LOT, if they start blocking this i’ll freak.

eeloe wrote: »
    I got my letter, change over day is April 30th.

Price for internet only if I do nothing is €54 a month for 240mb.

There was a leaflet in there also, €49 a month, for 240mg, 50 channels, and home phone.

I’m going to have to ring them and haggle, don’t want a phone, and I want the bigger channel package.

I use Kodi a LOT, if they start blocking this i’ll freak.
    You should be able to use a VPN for KODI. I did use KODI for a few years myself but I haven't used it with about eight months. I started buying films and TV series on disk. That €54 is €1.50 cheaper than what I have been paying with a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

I got the letter also I just scanned through it, Its seems I will be paying the same as I was with Casey's and getting half the speed. Is Virgin the only show in town or is there better options?

Lemon_Drop wrote: »
    I got the letter also I just scanned through it, Its seems I will be paying the same as I was with Casey's and getting half the speed. Is Virgin the only show in town or is there better options?
    Caseys is the best for now. EIR is available in town too. They are laying down Fibre which will provide even faster internet speeds

• Advertisement

Alright I recevied the letter about the equipment upgrade just now. They are halving my internet speed from 480Mb/s to 240Mb/s for €54 a month which is just €1.60 less than what I am paying now. When I called I enquired about it I was told that they could put me to 500Mb/s for €35 a month for six months then it would be €69 a month there after for 500Mb/s.

So in other words Caseys sold out and we got a worse deal at the end of the day.

Steve30x wrote: »
    Alright I recevied the letter about the equipment upgrade just now. They are halving my internet speed from 480Mb/s to 240Mb/s for €54 a month which is just €1.60 less than what I am paying now. When I called I enquired about it I was told that they could put me to 500Mb/s for €35 a month for six months then it would be €69 a month there after for 500Mb/s.

So in other words Caseys sold out and we got a worse deal at the end of the day.

Is that a 12 month contract Steve? Because we are paying for Casey's €648 for 12 months. With the deal from Virgin @ 500Mb/s its 6 months @ €35 and 6 months @ €69. which is €624 for 12 months which is cheaper than Casey's. Seems like it only good for 12 months as €69 for 500MB/s is a bit steep. Well to me anyway.

Is that a 12 month contract Steve? Because we are paying for Casey's €648 for 12 months. With the deal from Virgin @ 500Mb/s its 6 months @ €35 and 6 months @ €69. which is €624 for 12 months which is cheaper than Casey's. Seems like it only good for 12 months as €69 for 500MB/s is a bit steep. Well to me anyway.
    I don't know how long the contract is for but I didn't take up the offer. He said he could give me the offer as a new customer and I would get 500Mb/s internet for €35 for 6 months then after six months its €69 which is a whole lot more expensive than what we are paying for almost the same speed internet. I knew we were getting a bad bad deal when I got the letter from caseys saying we were being switched to Virgin media. I will be investing on a VPN in a few weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is Virgin Media up and running now? Can people order broadband, tv and phone from them now?

I think they will be up and running at the end of the month. They are changing my router next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 geoff2915

Had the 49 Euro deal installed a month ago.
    240mb/tv/phone.
    All good so far - the Horizon box is a bit old fashioned compared to a sky box but it works fine.
    Very happy with broadband speeds- no issues streaming Netflix, now tv stick etc and many devices at same time. Installation was fast, all organised online via web chat. Was paying Casey's 80 a month for broadband and phone only so happy with price. Watch tv via free sat usually but got the tv package anyway.

geoff2915 wrote: »
    Had the 49 Euro deal installed a month ago.
    240mb/tv/phone.
    All good so far - the Horizon box is a bit old fashioned compared to a sky box but it works fine.
    Very happy with broadband speeds- no issues streaming Netflix, now tv stick etc and many devices at same time. Installation was fast, all organised online via web chat. Was paying Casey's 80 a month for broadband and phone only so happy with price. Watch tv via free sat usually but got the tv package anyway.
    I'm not happy with the price. I am paying €55.60 a month with the past few years for 480Mb/s internet and they will be charging me €54 for half the internet speed 240Mb/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm not happy with the price. I am paying €55.60 a month with the past few years for 480Mb/s internet and they will be charging me €54 for half the internet speed 240Mb/s.

And they will put you on a new contract so you are stuck with them for at least 12 months.

The engineer was here yesterday. He was soing work on the Caseys box down the road and doing a few things in the house here. I immediately see my internet is much slower now. But the modem switchover inst't until the 14th may

The engineer was here yesterday. He was soing work on the Caseys box down the road and doing a few things in the house here. I immediately see my internet is much slower now. But the modem switchover inst't until the 14th may

Same here. It seems like the speed has been cut to 250 mbps:confused:

Same here. It seems like the speed has been cut to 250 mbps:confused:
    I done a speedtest. It was cut to 240Mb/s download but we still have the miserable 5Mb/s upload speed.

I done a speedtest. It was cut to 240Mb/s download but we still have the miserable 5Mb/s upload speed.

Is this on your old caseys router, or the new virgin media one?

Engineer was out with me this morning installed a new router and the TV box, switchover is actually today, so we'll see what it's like tonight!

Is this on your old caseys router, or the new virgin media one?

Engineer was out with me this morning installed a new router and the TV box, Its switchover is actually today, so we'll see what it's like tonight!
    Its on the caseys router and the engineer told me to wait two weeks for the changeover. The letter I have says my switchover is on the 14th of may. My brother got the modem two weeks before me and his switchover was today though.

Well i'd like to report back with no issues.

Came home after work, everything was running away as it should.

We're paying for a 360meg line, and last night i was getting consistent 357 down and 35 up.

The new router seems to be much better, constant wifi signal all over the house.

Here we go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is it the white routers that they are installing?

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is it the white routers that they are installing?

Yep, the virgin media hub.

Here we go
    I'll be paying for a VPN myself mext week before they switch me over. I have the new router but I have to wait until the 14th to connect it

Why are you paying for a VPN, just because virgin have taken over?

Why are you paying for a VPN, just because virgin have taken over?
    Casyes didn't give a crap what we were doing with our internet. Virgin and others care and watch what we do along with Virgin and others blocking websites I use a lot.

They have zero blocked on me....

I'll see if they have any of the sites I use on wednesday week. But its a good idea to have a VPN anyway. I have been meaning to get one with years I just haven't gotten around to it.

Well almost a week after the install...and i have to say the internet has been FLAWLESS *touch wood*

Tv service is okay, i hate the OS on the box tho, really slow....nothing at all compared to sky Q. but we'll live with it for the price.

I'm being switched over to the new modem next tuesday

• Advertisement

Whatever the engineer done two weeks ago it must have been done to suit the Virgin router because the slow internet I've been having with the POS caseys modem is gone with the Virgin modem. I did have some trouble connecting to wifi on my TV though but I adjust some settings in the modem and it seems to be good now after connecting through WPS

[EDIT] I've had to manually set the Wireless channels on the modem because the modem wouldn't play ball with my 2018 LG TV. When set to auto The wireless would either not connect or it would connect and intermitantly disconnect. I spent about two hours troubleshooting the wireless iwth my TV partially because the modem is slow to do things. But the new upload speed is really really nice. Its four times the speed what caseys was offering.

Now does anybody know what we do with the caseys modem?

Advertisement