Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless broadband in Dungarvan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

Oh! I nearly forgot.

Welcome to boards.ie SouthernEaster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

It's unfortunate that you got shafted on a day you were to work from home especially in that weather.

In terms of the internet being off, mine was off from about 1 - 7 (13:00 - 19:00) yesterday (I'm with Caseys/Cablesurf) then it seemed to get back to normal whatever the issue was, however my sister who is on Sky said that her internet and Sky+ Box was gone for the majority of the day so I'm not sure if it's an isolated issue or much more widespread.

As Lemon_Drop mentioned about the Eir Fibre Extreme, I also checked it and received the same message that it was not yet available but normal Eir Fibre is up and running from the looks of things.

Also Welcome to boards.ie - Now you're stuck with us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SouthernEaster

Thank you both for the welcomes.

I am currently using Sky broadband and they have been fine up until yesterday and today where there have been quite a few issues.

The reason I have to stick to Sky over other ISPs is for work due to the upload and download speeds.

I must stay connected to our cloud storage and e-mail server so a constant connection is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Does anyone know what routers Caseys supply these days? I just bought a Sonos speaker and have an old Caseys Cisco EPC2425 which isn't compatible with Sonos. Office is closed today so can't check, but need to know if I request a replacement what make & model router are they using lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Profix

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know what routers Caseys supply these days? I just bought a Sonos speaker and have an old Caseys Cisco EPC2425 which isn't compatible with Sonos. Office is closed today so can't check, but need to know if I request a replacement what make & model router are they using lately?

They swapped out mine a few months back with a Cisco EPC3925, if that's any good to you.

Does anyone have the admin password for the Cisco EPC3925? The technician told me in when he was putting it in but I've since forgotten.. need to change some settings.

• Advertisement

Profix wrote: »
    Does anyone have the admin password for the Cisco EPC3925? The technician told me in when he was putting it in but I've since forgotten.. need to change some settings.

I currently have a EPC3925 myself - I've had it for about 4-ish years.

If I remember correctly the Username is Admin and if you've left the password as default it is W2402

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

XtraFalcon wrote: »

If I remember correctly the Username is Admin and if you've left the password as default it is W2402

Thanks lads, apparently they have started to roll out Technicolor routers lately and they appear to be ok with Sonos so I'll try to get upgraded & hopefully that does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Profix

XtraFalcon wrote: »

You legend, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

After two faulty EPC3925's in 6 months they swapped those eventually for me with a EPC3928S. They said it was the latest models they got in that was during late summer. Not much difference tween it and the 3925. Interface and everything still the same cept no faults with the newer one

Also while I'm posting anyone know if caseys allow their routers to work in bridge mode or if they have a static ip service. Phoned them on Friday but the guy who answered didn't know for sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I see in the Dungarvan Community Noticeboard, Caseys are advertising Cablesurf Fibre. speeds of up to 250mb.

Pointless if we're capped at 3mb upload tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It amazes me how they don't have a website with up to date information on their services, pricing, tv packages and so on. I have never heard of the Dungarvan Community Noticeboard so I can assume I'm not the only one so how many people don't know about the new download speeds?

On a quick search including eeloe's post about "Cablesurf Fibre". I found this site. Seems to be in a very early stage of development. (If it can even be associated with them) Might be something in store in the new year, fingers crossed.

Looking forward to calling caseys on Monday to request an upgrade.

The leaflets have been out around the town for 5-6 weeks, haven't heard of anyone that actually has it yet tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

eeloe wrote: »
    Looking forward to calling caseys on Monday to request an upgrade.

The leaflets have been out around the town for 5-6 weeks, haven't heard of anyone that actually has it yet tho!

If you have any luck let us know!

Can someone upload an image of the leaflet. I've not seen one anywhere.

Was speaking to someone on the phone at Caseys office this morning, and asked him about the offer i'd seen on the leaflets.

He told me that the 25e/per month for 250mb is only for new customers, and any existing customers will eventually be rolled out on to the new 250mb line, but he couldn't give an exact time as to when that would be happening.

The process does require a new router.

I've been having a problem since about a week or so before Christmas with high ping and packet loss in the evenings (Every evening).

It happens around 7 (19:00) and can go on until after 12 (00:00).
    During the day it's fine, although I don't exactly have a lot of free time during the day to take full advantage of it apart from the odd day and instead I'm stuck with the bad-end of the deal.

During the day the ping is usually around 30 - 40 that's very good but during the hours mentioned above the ping hops to around 190 - 230 that's crazy high with heavy packet loss. Speed tests also return about 2MBPS and the upload is in KBPS.

If you're using the internet to check e-mail, general browsing you probably won't notice it but if you watch live streams, play online games, watch TV (Android TV box users) VOIP (Skype type software) it becomes very noticeable and next to unusable.

High ping causes all these things to become worthless. I've tried multiple solutions that have worked for others including plugging everything out of the router and turning off all wireless devices but to no luck it still happens between these times.

Is anyone having similar issues as this? It's becoming impossible trying to deal with it. As I understand some Eir users suffer from the same thing from almost the same times.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

Thank you both for the welcomes.

I am currently using Sky broadband and they have been fine up until yesterday and today where there have been quite a few issues.

The reason I have to stick to Sky over other ISPs is for work due to the upload and download speeds.

I must stay connected to our cloud storage and e-mail server so a constant connection is required.

Dungarvan Enterprise Centre do hot desking. you go in and work from their computers. Their internet is very good I am led to believe.
    Would it be an option for you?

Getting Casey's new router installed at home tomorrow, and i've been assured it's a 250mb line.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully the wireless N is actually enabled in this model, so i can get some decent wifi speeds. He wasn't able to tell me over the phone how much upload is on the new line, but if it's pitiful i'll be getting rid of it and going with Eircom Fiber, done a speed test as at a friends house the other night and he's getting 45mb down and 20mb up, what more would you want really?

• Advertisement

How is it? Is it the same upload?

Getting Casey's new router installed at home tomorrow, and i've been assured it's a 250mb line.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully the wireless N is actually enabled in this model, so i can get some decent wifi speeds. He wasn't able to tell me over the phone how much upload is on the new line, but if it's pitiful i'll be getting rid of it and going with Eircom Fiber, done a speed test as at a friends house the other night and he's getting 45mb down and 20mb up, what more would you want really?

getting the same thing next Week

gonna see if the speed is really different (currently getting 17mbps D and 0.2mbps UP on wired lan from supposedly 120mbps D ), if i dont see a lot of difference, ill be giving eir fibre a serious look.

Having a right pig of a time with this since it's been installed, the installer told me i'd never get more than 1.8 up until the lines have been upgraded to 10mb up. i showed him a speed test where was getting 3mb up on the old router and he looked genuinely shocked.

9am, do a speed test, and perfect, getting 190mb down and 6mb up, even tho he said i'd only get 1.8 up eh?

Come home after work, internet un-useable, do a speed test, 3mb down(but it's up and down, not constant) and .12 up.

Crazy...not even gonna bother ringing them, i'm just gonna ring Eircom. sick of this now. in the evenings i'm turning off wifi and tethering off my 4g instead.

Having a right pig of a time with this since it's been installed, the installer told me i'd never get more than 1.8 up until the lines have been upgraded to 10mb up. i showed him a speed test where was getting 3mb up on the old router and he looked genuinely shocked.

9am, do a speed test, and perfect, getting 190mb down and 6mb up, even tho he said i'd only get 1.8 up eh?

Come home after work, internet un-useable, do a speed test, 3mb down(but it's up and down, not constant) and .12 up.

Crazy...not even gonna bother ringing them, i'm just gonna ring Eircom. sick of this now. in the evenings i'm turning off wifi and tethering off my 4g instead.

that's chronic, im gonna give it a week and then see if its as bad, also make sure yer test is in megabytes and not megabits, gives a more accurate reading

eir also have a 2 week cooling off period so if yer not happy theyll uninstall

I'd be completely overjoyed if they offered a CONSTANT 50mb down 10mb up...forget this "up to 250mb if there's no one else in the town online" ****e...

That's disappointing. Increasing the download speed but ignoring the upload speed is baffling. It's not as if they are even offering the fastest download speed in the country these days.

With regards to the installers, the ones I have spoken to are spoofers coming out with all kind of crazy excuses for poor speeds and connections.

Called them last week to inform them of the connection issues, an engineer is coming out tomorrow, even tho i told them exactly what'll happen.

He'll call over tomorrow morning and do a speedtest and get 190mb download at 10am. say it's working perfectly, i'll come home tomorrow night after work and try the same thing and get 2-3mb download.

AAARGH!

Had the engineer around again this morning, felt kinda bad cus i blew up on him a little bit when i got a bit frustrated trying to explain the issues.

Done a software update on the router, reset it, and done a speed test again and got over 190down and 6up, pretty happy with that.

At work now for the rest of the day so will test it all out again tonight and hopefully it stays stable.

Had the engineer around again this morning, felt kinda bad cus i blew up on him a little bit when i got a bit frustrated trying to explain the issues.

Done a software update on the router, reset it, and done a speed test again and got over 190down and 6up, pretty happy with that.

At work now for the rest of the day so will test it all out again tonight and hopefully it stays stable.

• Advertisement

Let us know how it works out later - Might be worth finding out if we can update the software for the rest of us.

As for last night I couldn't even watch a Youtube video in 144p without it stopping and stalling. Tried to do a speed test and it kept failing.

Advertisement