Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I can't really take Empire of the Clouds seriously. "For all you unbelievers, the titanic fits inside." He jumped the shark there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

ush wrote: »
    I can't really take Empire of the Clouds seriously. "For all you unbelievers, the titanic fits inside." He jumped the shark there.

Ah no, not at all! It was jumped about 25 years ago with the 'cunning fox in the chickens lair..' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't know why the date sticks in my head but it was 25 years ago tonight that Maiden played in Dublin for the first time. Great night (despite the spitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Don't know why the date sticks in my head but it was 25 years ago tonight that Maiden played in Dublin for the first time. Great night (despite the spitting).

Sheeeeeet!!! That makes me feel old now. I remember it well.

Wolfsbane as support. Little did anybody know then that the lead singer of the support band would replace Bruce!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Really?? They didn't play here at all in the 80's??

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Really?? They didn't play here at all in the 80's??

Nope- that was the first time anywhere on the island.

They played Belfast the next night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

peter1892 wrote: »
    Nope- that was the first time anywhere on the island.

They played Belfast the next night.

Setlist.fm suggests they played in Castlebar in 1980, then not here again till No Prayer...tour in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Setlist.fm suggests they played in Castlebar in 1980, then not here again till No Prayer...tour in 1990.

there is that one link, though it seems the tour dates list has liverpool for that date...

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    there is that one link, though it seems the tour dates list has liverpool for that date...

At a venue called the Royal Court Theatre so you can see where the confusion comes from.

I'd put my house on it that it was Liverpool and not Castlebar that they played that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,157 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It was amazing how many big rock bands played smaller venues in Ireland during the 70s,80,s and 90's.

Even def lepperd done a tour of Ireland in the late 80's when they were well known worldwide.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It was amazing how many big rock bands played smaller venues in Ireland during the 70s,80,s and 90's.

Even def lepperd done a tour of Ireland in the late 80's when they were well known worldwide.

Leppard's tour here (1986) was some kind of warm up tour to help Rick Allen get back into playing live after his accident. They were living here & recording Hysteria at the time.

Anyway Maiden first played in Ireland in 1990 (I was there myself). 25 years indeed, I'd say that 'I feel old' but 40 is the new 21 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Saw Leppard and Whitesnake (separately) in the Olympia in the late 90s (I think) before the rock resurgence really took off. Never thought I'd see them live in such a small venue at that stage of their respective careers. I was also mad at Maiden all through the 80s as despite going to Poland (when the iron curtain was still up) and constantly touring throughout Europe, they never came to Ireland. Then when they finally did come, I wasn't living here any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

blastman wrote: »
    [...]I was also mad at Maiden all through the 80s as despite going to Poland (when the iron curtain was still up) and constantly touring throughout Europe, they never came to Ireland.[...]

somebody once told me there was some threat thing going in with ira or so back then, and that’s why they didn’t come…though i don’t know if that’s true or just bs, maybe somebody around here knows…

somebody once told me there was some threat thing going in with ira or so back then, and that’s why they didn’t come…though i don’t know if that’s true or just bs, maybe somebody around here knows…

There are/were loads of rumours as to why they never came here. when asked about it in an interview a few years back Bruce said it was b*ll*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The apparent IRA threats didn’t stop him waving the union jack around during the gig in the Point some years ago. Was at that gig with one of my friends who knew nothing about Iron Maiden, and who unfortunately was a very passionate republican. The abuse he has been dissing to me since has turned me off Iron Maiden . Sadly for me, I haven’t bought an album since A Matter of Life and Death. Going to get back into them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was this the SFX show? 25 years :eek:

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Was this the SFX show? 25 years :eek:

No, SFX one was January '06. Only about half full too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

No, SFX one was January '06. Only about half full too.

'96

ush wrote: »
    '96

Indeed. Typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I've given the new album quite a good few listens so far, and it really is a truly brilliant album, but not the masterpiece the critics have being saying. The only songs on the album I'm really not that mad about are 'The Great Unkown', When the river runs Deep' and 'Shadows of the Vally'. I'll need to give them one more listen to see if I really like them or not. The three Eddie pics in the booklet are fantastic, and a very nice bonus. Which brings me to the cover artwork. It's not that exciting and although it's much better than 'The Final Frontier' cover which did not resemble the Eddie we all know and love, I still thought it was somewhat underwhelming. So I scanned in the picture of Eddie standing outside the mayan temple with his heart in his left hand and a knife in the other, placed the Iron Maiden logo from the front cover at the top, and lastly put the album title at the bottom, and you have a much more action based Eddie like the covers of old.

Also the cover artwork for the Single 'The Speed of Light' is a total dissapointment:mad:. It's just a complete rehash of the front cover, but in monchrome.:mad: What happened to the days of great Eddie single covers? The song is actually brilliant and the music video is amazing but the single cover is terrible and lazy. Any way this album is very very very good, and a massive improvement over the dissapointing 'The Final Frontier' album, which in my opinion was and is thier worst album in thier entire career. I even quite like a lot of the songs on the two Blaze Bailey albums. And I don't get the hatred for 'Fear of The Dark' either. Its a very good to excellent album with a couple of weak songs.:P But back to the new album album, if they are going to call it quits I'll be very happy with this album and 'Empire of the Cloud's will be one hell of a swan song to bow out on.

• Advertisement

They've announced the first European date so hopefully the rest will be revealed soon and we get an Irish one.

They're headlining Donington on Sunday 12 June. They play in Paris on the 10th so if there is to be an Irish date, it'll probably be on the Tuesday/Wednesday after. At the moment the next date is on the Friday so there is space anyway.

I wish they'd just announce them all at once so we would't have to go through this guessing game.

EDIT - Oslo now on the Wednesday after so unless they play here on the day after Donington (unlikely), a Dublin gig is looking doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

Tried this over the bank holiday weekend

Not really into ale but served well chilled not a bad tipple !!

S Line wrote: »
    Tried this over the bank holiday weekend

Not really into ale but served well chilled not a bad tipple !!

Ale.......chilled.......weirdo

Had it myself, really nice it was

They're headlining Donington on Sunday 12 June. They play in Paris on the 10th so if there is to be an Irish date, it'll probably be on the Tuesday/Wednesday after. At the moment the next date is on the Friday so there is space anyway.

I wish they'd just announce them all at once so we would't have to go through this guessing game.

EDIT - Oslo now on the Wednesday after so unless they play here on the day after Donington (unlikely), a Dublin gig is looking doubtful

Not once during this euro tour are they playing 2 consecutive dates, and the only date available really is the day after Download so i doubt they'll be here.

Can see a UK tour being added for the end of the year, with us getting a date then, i know they're advertising Donington as only UK show this year but they've said that quite a few times, then Bruce has announced on stage that that he has a surprise and they'll be back at the end of the year.

Most big bands don't do indoor Euro tours in Jan/Feb due to unpredictable weather so Nov/Dec seems most likely

scudzilla wrote: »
    Can see a UK tour being added for the end of the year, with us getting a date then

A summer date here is looking unlikely now unless one of the promoters is willing to put on a festival show (although the date here in 2010 was the only indoor show on a short European tour). It would be nice to see the 747 in Dublin...

About the ale - my local off-licence stocks the regular Trooper but insists on putting it in the fridge! Chilling it definitely robs it of flavour.

Taken from Iron Maidens Facebook page, Ed Force One arrived in Cardiff yesterday, a good jump up from a crappy old 757 :pac::pac:

Wish Dublin was on that list :mad:

ed1_zpswzqpwcya.jpg

ed3_zpszfp0vccb.jpg

ed2_zpszphpfdwm.jpg

ed4_zps8kwjshaw.jpg

ed5_zpsekq3rgai.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 deeeznuuuts

I spoke to Nickos drumtech last september. Download the only UK date in 2016. UK/Ireland will be 2017. Apparently to rest brucies voice

It all kicks off tonight. As usual, be interested to see the song selection. I heard Bruce say there are a couple of songs they haven't played in a while so I wonder what they are. I just hope Wrathchild isn't played. I'm sick of that one at this stage.

• Advertisement

I spoke to Nickos drumtech last september. Download the only UK date in 2016. UK/Ireland will be 2017. Apparently to rest brucies voice

Suits me down to the ground as we'll be busy with new baby this year

Advertisement