Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you eat Dog or Cat meat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

What if it was a really stupid dog? Or a retarded cat?

Okokok...We send every animal so a special Cat/Dog school..all the failures get eaten,all the Smart ones get to live.

Hmmmm...can we apply this too humans

hah once heard of a guys plan to end world hunger...give everyone in Africa a sword and eat those you kill :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Eww! I could never eat a cat or dog, it sounds horrible. Dogs have so much personality in them unlike sheep or cows who just stand and graze. Dogs bond with you and become your friend. I keep looking at my puppy running round under my feet and I can't imagine anything happening to him. I have shivers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

It's fairly hypocritical of people to say that they would eat one animal over another.
    What makes one life more important than another?
    That is basically just the same as saying that one persons life is more important than another...

Personally I would eat dog and cat meat if I had to,
    I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to do it,
    but I'm not going to view someone different because they eat a certain type of meat (cannibals excluded of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    It's fairly hypocritical of people to say that they would eat one animal over another.
    What makes one life more important than another?
    but I'm not going to view someone different because they eat a certain type of meat (cannibals excluded of course).

But were animals too :p

.....I JUDGE EVERYONE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Why not eat pigeon?

Because pigeon is dirty and undiscerning about what it eats. They are low quality and unappetising to me! Plus they are grey. Grey food is not appealing.
    You know what the word vermin means? It's also subjective.

Yes. Yes. To me low quality creatures which multiply quickly and parasite off other more higher evolved creatures. Creatures which are near enough to clones, rather than individuals. Like insects, pigeons, cats etc Biologically worthless and dispensable!
    I come accross lots of people who eat beef, chicken, pork and fish, but they turn their nose up at the thought of eating deer, rabbit, pigeon, pheasant, snipe, duck, squirrell, horse, ostrich, kangaroo, aligator... etc etc.

I don't want to eat things that are either too high up or low down the food chain.
    I wouldn't try cat or dog if I knew it went through that hell, but I wouldn't mind trying it if the animal had a proper life, wild dog or wild cat maybe (nicer meat). As for people not eating wild meat, ye haven't a fcuking clue what ye are missing. Far nicer than the crap you get in supermarkets.

Cat does not appeal, they are filthy creatures. The bacteria on a cats teeth is some of the most dangerous in the world. Thats true, I know cos my Ma told me! Besides I reckon the meat would be sinewy and revolting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

I have no problem with eating cat and dog, provided its specifically bred for purpose, and not stolen from the neighbours.

I'd have no problem eating a wide variety of meats to be honest. I also have eaten locusts. Lovely, they were. My local Vietnamese Supermarket sells frozen maggots or grubs or somethig wormy and I want to try them but the missus won't leave them in the house.

Try googling deep fried Guinea-pig. Actually looks quite appetizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

some of them dogs in that video were far too cute to be eaten!

out of interest, is it illegal to eat cat/dog here or is it just accepted we dont do it and its not available or is their a law banning its sale?

I was tricked into eating rabbit in belgium, cousin told me it was chicken, thought it looked a bit off colour......was actually delicious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Looks like you need to be educated somewhat in wildlife, as your post is quite ignorant. It's funny.

Because pigeon is dirty and undiscerning about what it eats. They are low quality and unappetising to me! Plus they are grey. Grey food is not appealing.

Ah yea, the "flying rat" crap... Not one clue have you got about it. Pigeon is beautiful meat. Low quality? You mean it's not wrapped in plastic and doesn't have the Superquinn seal of aproval? Lol. It may not appeal to you, but don't talk crap about it. Who told you this rubbish anyway?

Yes. Yes. To me low quality creatures which multiply quickly and parasite off other more higher evolved creatures. Creatures which are near enough to clones, rather than individuals. Like insects, pigeons, cats etc Biologically worthless and dispensable!

WTF is a low quality creature? Since you know absolutely nothing about ecology, I will have you know that even the most insignificant of creatures is extremely important to ecosystems. So rabbits, they multiply quickly, are they "parasites"? What do pigeons live off by the way? Vermin is not an opinion, it's a statement. An animal can be a vermin in one area and not in another. Creatures which are near enough to clones? WTF are you talking about?

I don't want to eat things that are either too high up or low down the food chain.

Any reason behind this?

Cat does not appeal, they are filthy creatures. The bacteria on a cats teeth is some of the most dangerous in the world. Thats true, I know cos my Ma told me! Besides I reckon the meat would be sinewy and revolting!

Doesn't appeal to me either, but I have yet to come accross a dish with teeth in it. Lots of animals teeth have bacteria on it, that's a given. This includes beef and pork. IT's ok to eat that though, right? I also won't make up crap about a meat, being sinewy and revolting... if that's the case, then why do people eat it?
    John85 wrote: »
    No.Anything with four legs souldnt be eating

What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

df1985 wrote: »

I was tricked into eating rabbit in belgium, cousin told me it was chicken, thought it looked a bit off colour......was actually delicious though.

I was also tricked into eating rabbit in Belgium:eek: ,sly ones them Belgians..

I probably would,if it was nice,but from the video it didn't look very appetising,meat looked a bit grey.
    Wouldn't eat my own cat and dogs though obv,but I used to have chickens and I wouldn't eat them either,because I liked them,they were my chickens.

It's different just eating meat that you bought in the shop,you've never seen that animal,they mean nothing to you.

Looks like you need to be educated somewhat in wildlife, as your post is quite ignorant. It's funny.

Thank you. Glad you spotted the tongue in cheekness of it. Some not so bright people would imagine it was literal.
    Ah yea, the "flying rat" crap... Not one clue have you got about it.

Sniff, I feel such a philistine. Educate me purleeeeeeeease oh wise pigeon gobbler.
    Pigeon is beautiful meat. Low quality? You mean it's not wrapped in plastic and doesn't have the Superquinn seal of aproval? Lol. It may not appeal to you, but don't talk crap about it. Who told you this rubbish anyway?

Yer someone told me. I'm a mindless vessel that ideas get poured into and then I parrot them back mindlessly because I have no faculties of my own.

WTF is a low quality creature? Since you know absolutely nothing about ecology, I will have you know that even the most insignificant of creatures is extremely important to ecosystems.

Uhhh durrr thanks for that.
    So rabbits, they multiply quickly, are they "parasites"?

Yes at times they are. Remember miximotosis was introduced to Ausltralia to cull them as they were introduced to an ecosystem that they threatend to destroy.
    What do pigeons live off by the way?

Cigarette butts and chewing gum or pellets or faeces. Yes.
    Vermin is not an opinion, it's a statement. An animal can be a vermin in one area and not in another. Creatures which are near enough to clones? WTF are you talking about?

Calm down!!! We're just having a laugh.
    Any reason behind this?

Well, higher creatures like apes are too close to me and I'm not into cannibalism. Lower creatures like cats/pigeons just don't appeal as I already explained.

Peoples taste in food is subjective. Its not reasonable. It's about what people find appealing or paletable. Its instinct/conditioning/superstition/association etc

Doesn't appeal to me either, but I have yet to come accross a dish with teeth in it. Lots of animals teeth have bacteria on it, that's a given. This includes beef and pork. IT's ok to eat that though, right? I also won't make up crap about a meat, being sinewy and revolting... if that's the case, then why do people eat it?

I'm not making up crap, I said I imagine it would be sinewy and revolting. You are taking this waaay too seriously. People fancy eating certain stuff and don't fancy other stuff. Simples.

See above. Rinse, Repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Cats=Vermin! Would no more eat a cat than a pigeon or a rat!

Just to let you know, cats aren't vermin. In fact they're not even remotely genetically linked in any way to rats or mice. Or pigeons.

Cats actually keep vermin numbers down in built up urban zones. Presuming you live in a city, if there were no cats around you would have a seriously high rat population scurrying around your feet.

So have a wee think about that before ya go euuwww cats! when you see one.:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd have no moral issue with it. I have cats that I love, but it's not them I'm eating. I eat cows, pigs chickens etc, so would be silly not to eat cats/dogs really.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kiera wrote: »
    They're pets, not food! No. :P
    SV wrote: »
    plus, I've never seen a pet cow or pig before :p
    I know a family who had a pet goat named barbecue, and that is where he ended up! no joke.
    Back on topic, I'd eat cat, but not dog. I love dogs.
    I love dogs too, done in butter with a little garlic & franks hot sauce:pac:

Thank you. Glad you spotted the tongue in cheekness of it. Some not so bright people would imagine it was literal.

Sniff, I feel such a philistine. Educate me purleeeeeeeease oh wise pigeon gobbler.

Yer someone told me. I'm a mindless vessel that ideas get poured into and then I parrot them back mindlessly because I have no faculties of my own.

Uhhh durrr thanks for that.

Yes at times they are. Remember miximotosis was introduced to Ausltralia to cull them as they were introduced to an ecosystem that they threatend to destroy.

Cigarette butts and chewing gum or pellets or faeces. Yes.

Calm down!!! We're just having a laugh.

Well, higher creatures like apes are too close to me and I'm not into cannibalism. Lower creatures like cats/pigeons just don't appeal as I already explained.

Peoples taste in food is subjective. Its not reasonable. It's about what people find appealing or paletable. Its instinct/conditioning/superstition/association etc

I'm not making up crap, I said I imagine it would be sinewy and revolting. You are taking this waaay too seriously. People fancy eating certain stuff and don't fancy other stuff. Simples.

See above. Rinse, Repeat.

:confused: Cigarette butts are a part of a pigeons diet? Yea, you haven't a clue. You are also making crap up.

How the hell do you come to the conclusion that rabbits are parasites? You don't know what a parasite is, do you?

Just to let you know, cats aren't vermin. In fact they're not even remotely genetically linked in any way to rats or mice. Or pigeons.

Cats actually keep vermin numbers down in built up urban zones. Presuming you live in a city, if there were no cats around you would have a seriously high rat population scurrying around your feet.

Does anybody know what a vermin is? Don't mix it up with rodent. Vermin is not a species, but a word used to describe a group of animals. Vermin today, protected tomorrow.

:confused: Cigarette butts are a part of a pigeons diet? Yea, you haven't a clue. You are also making crap up.

How the hell do you come to the conclusion that rabbits are parasites? You don't know what a parasite is, do you?

I know perfectly well what it is.............do you know what irony is?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's weird how I have no difficulty eating a Cow, Sheep or a Pig. Yet eating a Dog or Cat disgusts me. I've always had a pet dog, but I generally dislike cats. The thought of eating a cat seems sick though. I suppose it's the accepted norms of our society in this part of the world, that conditions us this way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Does anybody know what a vermin is? Don't mix it up with rodent. Vermin is not a species, but a word used to describe a group of animals. Vermin today, protected tomorrow.

Vermin is a word used to describe pest-like creatures that carry disease or destroy crops & its generally a word associated with rodents(rats, rabbits, mice).

Its a negative term & im just explaining to yur man that cats sort of keep city streets free of rats & such so they're anything but vermin.:)

I know perfectly well what it is.............do you know what irony is?

You make no sense what so ever. What exactly is ironic?
    Vermin is a word used to describe pest-like creatures that carry disease or destroy crops & its generally a word associated with rodents(rats, rabbits, mice).

Its a negative term & im just explaining to yur man that cats sort of keep city streets free of rats & such so they're anything but vermin.:)

Yea, basically. :)

I would if I had no other food and might die.. If Keith Richards can snort his Dad's ashes, I can eat my dead cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

I don't like cats.

I like Turtles!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd try both. If they tasted good, I'd keep eating them too. I haven't had a pet cat or dog, but I have had a hamster. And I'd eat a hamster spring roll no bother.

Or a gerbil popsicle!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If they are tasty then why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Seloth wrote: »
    I think species with a certain intelligence or awarness should be banned from being harmed.

Apes,Dogs,Whales,Dolphins etc
    You'd have to add pigs to that list as well. They're hugely intelligent animals.

I know they are not technically vermin!!! I just like winding up cat owners! I'd insult cats directly myself but they ignore moi :( sniffle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

id try them.....

John85 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Who the fcuk are you? WTF is going on? WTF was the point in your post johnny boy???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I wouldnt eat a cat because they are filty creatures, I would rather eat a rat or even a human. They are just disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I think it's interesting seeing the amount of people with the "but dogs and cats have personalities!" excuse.. I take it they've not spent much time on a farm. Pigs are fantastically smart animals, unfortunately they're also the most versatile in terms of what types of tasty, tasty meat you can get from it. Cows, sheep, and particularly goats have plenty of personality, too. Just because you only see them out grazing doesn't mean that if you spent any amount of time with some you wouldn't grow just as attached as you would to Fido.

For the record I'd probably also try people (provided it was a desert island scenario where someone dies of natural causes and there's nothing else to eat). According to some cannibal serial killer we taste like pigs, and I certainly enjoy bacon.

Now I'm hungry. :P

Advertisement