Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you eat Dog or Cat meat?

Options
  • 07-06-2010 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched this CNN video where it shows a Chinese restaurant that sells cat and dog meat on their menu.

Would you eat it?

If they sold it here, would you buy it?

If not, why not.

I myself would not, which I have to admit is a little pretentious, as I eat other animals like rabbit and spring lamb and and so I am just objecting to it based on conditioning.

... ....

The following CNN report might be a little disturbing for some, so don't watch it if you find the subject matter disturbing:

Would you eat either Dog or Cat meat? 80 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 80 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Not a chance would I do that...

The thoughts of it would make me puke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

No no no no never no no. The poor little things. They're pets, not food! No. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

A big Mac or a Big Cat, its all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No, absolutely not.

My reasoning for this and that I'll eat other animals?
    well it's how I was conditioned.

plus, I've never seen a pet cow or pig before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Never, would never eat dog or horse. They have personalities.

As for cats, no. But for different reasons. Cats=Vermin! Would no more eat a cat than a pigeon or a rat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Just watched this CNN video where it shows a Chinese restaurant that sells cat and dog meat on their menu.

Would you eat it?

If they sold it here, would you buy it?

If not, why not.

Would I eat cat or dog? Yeah, sure, why not. Eat most other meats, why not fido or fluffy.

Would I eat my cat or dog, eh, no. I like my cats. But if push came to shove, Fred would get fired into a casserole or a pastie no problem.

Would I buy it, don't know, don't know if I like it or not.

SV wrote: »
    No, absolutely not.

My reasoning for this and that I'll eat other animals?
    well it's how I was conditioned.

George Clooney has a pet pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

If it were humanely killed, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't at least try it.

I love my dogs, more than most people, but I've also loved cows and horses and sheep and tried all them. So why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No.

Not because I think it's wrong but I'd be too prone to anthropomorphic sentimentality because I love (and own) cats, and to a lesser extent, dogs.

Hypocritical, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I think species with a certain intelligence or awarness should be banned from being harmed.

Apes,Dogs,Whales,Dolphins etc

Even though I voted know if I were in the locality...Like proper china :p then I might,Have togive everything a try like.Just as long as it wasnt in its original form but ust like roasted ew XD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Found one
    http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_04/KerryKatona_468x385.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Kiera wrote: »
    George Clooney has a pet pig.

True and Paul O'Grady has a pet lamb (or so he says).

He even lets it sleep in his bed.

When I was young I use to go to my Uncle's farm in Monaghan and the young lambs were so playful, just like a puppy would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

it's how I was conditioned.

Thats it in a nut shell, if its not in your culture you are unlikely to do it, some cultures cows are a no no others its the pig that is frowned upon, to answer the original question, would i? i would have to be as hungry as Tom Crean on the Endurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There wouldn't be much meat on'em though would there?

When I was young I use to go to my Uncle's farm in Monaghan and the young lambs were so playful, just like a puppy would be.
    Oh i'd love a pet lamb. I can haz, pleeease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

No I definitely wouldn't.
    There's no need for it in this day and age. Would you eat a Donkey or an Elephant?

Seloth wrote: »
    I think species with a certain intelligence or awarness should be banned from being harmed.

Apes,Dogs,Whales,Dolphins etc

What if it was a really stupid dog? Or a retarded cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I wouldn't unless I was starving, or I was someplace where they eat cats and dogs and I would insult my host by not eating it. It's all conditioning though.

If I was Muslim or Jewish, the idea of eating a rasher wouldn't impress me but for me it's grand cos I wasn't taught that it was wrong.

There wouldn't be much meat on'em though would there?
    There would on my sisters lab. Never seen such a fat dog in all my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Back on topic, I'd eat cat, but not dog. I love dogs. Kinda indifferent to cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What if it was a really stupid dog? Or a retarded cat?

No such thing as a retarded cat, only a cat that wants you to think it's retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Never, would never eat dog or horse. They have personalities.

As for cats, no. But for different reasons. Cats=Vermin! Would no more eat a cat than a pigeon or a rat!

Why not eat pigeon? You know what the word vermin means? It's also subjective.

I come accross lots of people who eat beef, chicken, pork and fish, but they turn their nose up at the thought of eating deer, rabbit, pigeon, pheasant, snipe, duck, squirrell, horse, ostrich, kangaroo, aligator... etc etc.

I wouldn't try cat or dog if I knew it went through that hell, but I wouldn't mind trying it if the animal had a proper life, wild dog or wild cat maybe (nicer meat). As for people not eating wild meat, ye haven't a fcuking clue what ye are missing. Far nicer than the crap you get in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Very popular excuse down around west kerry apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd try it if I was in a country where it was normal, just out of interest. But for some strange reason, I'd never try it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

There is no way in hell I'd ever eat a cat or dog. I would be dreaming about eating my past pets at night!

My brother used to live in Vietnam. He once passed this house with an orange tabby cat outside with a metal clasp around his neck attached to a big chain. Why? because it would deter people from stealing the cat to eat it!

But, I guess eating dog and cat meat is just a way of life to some people. If we had domesticated cows, sheep or pigs since the dawn of time we would think twice about eating them!

Attached is a picture of the chained up cat in Hanoi, Vietnam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Back on topic, I'd eat cat, but not dog. I love dogs. Kinda indifferent to cats.

I'm the opposite. I eat pussies all the time.

:(

No such thing as a retarded cat, only a cat that wants you to think it's retarded.

True that. But if they end up on my plate, they aren't that bright. I mean, but if I'm the one holding the fork, then sucks to be you.

There is no way in hell I'd ever eat a cat or dog. I would be dreaming about eating my past pets at night!

My brother used to live in Vietnam. He once passed this house with an orange tabby cat outside with a metal clasp around his neck attached to a big chain. Why? because it would deter people from stealing the cat to eat it!

But, I guess eating dog and cat meat is just a way of life to some people. If we had domesticated cows, sheep or pigs since the dawn of time we would think twice about eating them!

Attached is a picture of the chained up cat in Hanoi, Vietnam!

To stop people stealing it, or to stop the casserole from doing a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

No.Anything with four legs souldnt be eating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

SadieSue wrote: »
    Would you eat a Donkey or an Elephant?

Yes

Advertisement