Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VillainROM 10 now available! (Based on official 2.1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Ares wrote: »
    Theres a fix for that. Go to Villianrom updater and it'll download it.

cheers Ares...I'll do that now...

Any other issues I should know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

theteal wrote: »
    username - my
    password - mms

i upgraded to 10.0 yesterday, got the mms working again straight away (again ran the script + entered the manual settings)

What radio are you using (I'm using the latest one supplied on the villain ROM forum)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

BigCon wrote: »
    What radio are you using (I'm using the latest one supplied on the villain ROM forum)?

i'm using the latest one that was available via the OTA updater when i was running 6.2

63.18.55.06OU_6.35.15.01

i've not been on the villain site in a few days now that i think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I tried it out. Initially I couldn't get data to work, then after deleting and re-entering the APN a few times it magically worked. Unfortunately then, when I had WiFi off and data on, the battery started freaking out. 1% drainage every 2-3 minutes with nothing running, screen off, backlight off when the screen was on, and processor set to run at 19MHz minimum! I checked my usage and it claimed it was the display that was sapping the battery, but that didn't seem to stack up.

Nothing fixed this - I tried the experimental battery fix, rolling back the radio, and both. I went back to VillainROM 6 in the end and things seem to be back to normal. It'll do fine till they fix whatever's wrong with 10.

EDIT: I've actually just tried switching on data on 6 - same story. I don't know what I've done to balls this up, I'll have to try a few different radios or something :( But at least it's not 10's fault :D

63.18.55.06OU_6.35.15.01 is the latest radio alright.
    I see that 10.1 is out now...

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote: »
    63.18.55.06OU_6.35.15.01 is the latest radio alright.
    I see that 10.1 is out now...

I'll have a look see when grabbing some lunch. I've no gripes just yet, a bit laggy on occasion.

Man I hate eclair when it comes to exchange mail, putting in a password to unlock the screen everytime is really getting cumbersome :( the pattern unlock was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just flashed to this today.

After coming from Modaco 3.1, which had gotten very sluggish, I'm liking this!

Had to go out there, and tried out the GoogleMaps Voice direction thing.

Still playing with it, so battery is being drained quickly, will report back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scoopo16

Yeah I'm starting to think that its an incompatible ROM with Irish network as I'm getting the same problems as yourself. Pity cause its a great ROM. If anyone has any idea please let me know. and I have even tried messing with the radio itself by dialing *#*#4636#*#* but no luck there either. I have changed ROM's a few time and never had this problem so it has to be something simple lets hope the developers at XDA fix it and push out an update direct to our phones through the VillainROM updater.
    R28 wrote: »
    Did you change your radio? I don't think it is a fault of the radio as I changed it back to an older version which didn't work either and both the old and new radio worked in older ROMs but maybe if you changed yours it could still be the issue

Wonder if it is some incompatibility between the custom ROM and meteor? In the wireless and network settings the mobile internet setting seems to get stuck at 'connecting to mobile data'.

Pity I can't get it to work as otherwise it seems like the ultimate 2.1 ROM.

It will take someone with more android know how then me to figure this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Managed to get the battery sorted. I don't really know what I did differently, I just wiped everything, installed v10, then installed the new radio. I didn't overclock at all this time, although that wasn't an issue in v6 so I don't know if it was the problem really.

Anyway, my Hero has now been running for 16 hours: about 8 hours WiFi and 8 mobile data. Twidroid and Mail running all day fetching every 15 minutes. Some texting using JSMS, an hour or so of web browsing, two calls, two or three YouTube videos.

61% battery remaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

scoopo16 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm starting to think that its an incompatible ROM with Irish network as I'm getting the same problems as yourself. Pity cause its a great ROM. If anyone has any idea please let me know. and I have even tried messing with the radio itself by dialing *#*#4636#*#* but no luck there either. I have changed ROM's a few time and never had this problem so it has to be something simple lets hope the developers at XDA fix it and push out an update direct to our phones through the VillainROM updater.

I was [eventually] able to get it to work. It took a few tries for some reason (I'm sure I had entered in the correct APN settings).

Make sure you press menu then 'reset to default'. Then put in these APN data settings.

APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    user: my
    password: wap
    apn type: default

And things should work. It is a really good ROM when it's working right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

so i took the jump yesterday and moved to villainrom 10.1.3

and now today 10.2 is released.
    is is possable to upgrade to this without having to set everything up again.

i am new to all this by the way only got my phone yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Yeah just wipe the dalvik cache(not the system data or ext) and then flash the rom over your cuurent one. Make sure you do a nandroid backup first though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

is it worth my time putting this on a htc g1 or would it buckle under the weight

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

I updated to VillainROM 10.2 earlier and restored everything using Titanium backup. Also on latest radio. Everything's working great except I'm getting the "phone storage space is getting low" message constantly. I guess I could delete half my apps but they were all working fine on Kimera1.8.

SD card: total Space 7.41GB
    available space: 4.14GB
    Internal Phone Storage:
    Available space 2.44MB

I believe the mem card is partitioned from previous owner for apps2sd, might that be a solution here? If so are there any good guides and will I still be able to use titanium backup to backup/restore if using apps2sd?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I've switched from MCR 3.2 to this but it's not working at all, keep getting force close for HTC Sense so I can't even use my phone, nandroid backup done, changed the file to update.zip and flashed it. Anything I've done wrong?

Edit: Wiped again, reflashed ROM and hey presto it's working. Happened before actually, don't know why.

MEH!!!! I can barely see any difference between this and what I was already on.. Anybody notice anything better about Villain 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Press the power button to put it in standby, then press it again and unlock the screen. Then don't touch it. Oooohhh.... animated clouds! :)

Market is nicer, settings are better organised, bluetooth file transfer, interface is smoother .... its worth the upgrade.

Yeah but the wait was so long I was expecting something special, unfortunately with no WaveSecure included or Titanium Backup amongst other things I feel very let down, hopefully Paul at Modaco can do an awesome job with it, afaik he hasn't finished MCR 4.0 yet, but when he does I'll definitely go get it.

Mr E wrote: »
    Press the power button to put it in standby, then press it again and unlock the screen. Then don't touch it. Oooohhh.... animated clouds! :)

Market is nicer, settings are better organised, bluetooth file transfer, interface is smoother .... its worth the upgrade.

Nearly 100% sure the Modaco 3.1 I had before did that with the rain, the drops of rain & the wiper. Buts its a nice little touch.

I totally agree, much smoother all around, bit more polished, feels like what the phone should have had from the beginning!

No moving clouds for me either I'm afraid, the home screen looks exactly the same as it did when I took the phone out of the box. Checked 'about phone' and it says I'm on 2.1 and HeroSigned 1.7 which is correct apparently.

• Advertisement

Dave147 wrote: »
    No moving clouds for me either I'm afraid, the home screen looks exactly the same as it did when I took the phone out of the box. Checked 'about phone' and it says I'm on 2.1 and HeroSigned 1.7 which is correct apparently.

Hmm. You should have the clouds. You need to make sure that when you unlock the screen, don't touch it again, and presto. Weather related hijinx.

Also, I like the way you can see the 7 screens now if you pinch zoom on any screen, or press the home button on any of the screens. Saves scrolling to find whatever screen you want, if you happen to be on the far side of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If its sunny, then you won't have clouds. :)
    What does the weather widget say your weather is?

Still can't MMS to work, I see other people (small number) on other forums are having a similar issue.
    As a last throw of the dice I'm looking for a favour from someone that has MMS working on 2.1 and is on Meteor - can you copy the telephony database file from your hero (located here: data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db) and I'll replace my one with it to see if it fixes the problem.
    Thanks to whoever does this!

Edit: Android Commander is a useful tool to do this, download it here

Cheers!

hey,
    can anyone help
    i trying to move all my apps to my sd card so i can put on more.
    i tryed using the recovery menu but nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

dunworth1 wrote: »
    hey,
    can anyone help
    i trying to move all my apps to my sd card so i can put on more.
    i tryed using the recovery menu but nothing happened.

What did you do in the recovery menu?
    You need to create an ext partition on the memory card and then villiamrom should automatically copy the apps over.

thanks for quick reply

ok this is exactly what i did.

i copied everything from my sd card to my pc went into recovery mode formatted sd card.

swap-32mb
    ext2-512mb
    fat-everything else.

then i went into other (in recovery) selected move apps+dav to sd.

put all the stuff that i copied back onto sd card

it said it completed but they still take up memory on my phone.

did i do some thing wrong.

brian

For some reason I wasn't getting the full shebang on VillainROM 10, so I went back to Modaco and got MCR r4 custom ROM, I have WaveSecure with it as I'm a premium member :) Now I notice the difference with 2.1 and it's far nicer, will probably mean I'll keep the Hero a little longer.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    thanks for quick reply

ok this is exactly what i did.

i copied everything from my sd card to my pc went into recovery mode formatted sd card.

swap-32mb
    ext2-512mb
    fat-everything else.

then i went into other (in recovery) selected move apps+dav to sd.

put all the stuff that i copied back onto sd card

it said it completed but they still take up memory on my phone.

did i do some thing wrong.

brian

Having the same problem pretty much, would be interested to hear anyone's feedback on this

Has anyone been able to get MMS working on any custom 2.1 roms?

• Advertisement

yup,i have mms working on meteor, edited a script which can be found easily enough online and ran using an app called gscript

Advertisement