Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VillainROM 10 now available! (Based on official 2.1)

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

For those of you that haven't already jumped ship to the official 2.1 ROM, (and lost root access in the process) then VillainROM have released VillainROM 10, which is based on the official 2.1 build, so everything hardware wise should be working as they should!

There are still some problems, like with FriendStream, but they're working on it at the minute, and that should be available in an update.

From the official VillainROM forum:
    Nathan wrote:
    VillainROM 10.0.0 FINAL – Based on OTA Official 2.1 for GSM Hero

Here it is, at long last. To all those that have stuck by me (and the rest of the VillainROM team) since I began
    developing for the Hero in January, thank you. I hope this ROM is the ROM you’ve been waiting for.

This morning, an OFFICIAL GSM HERO 2.1 Patch, complete with Radio arrived in my dropbox with
    a simple message – ‘OKAY TO RELEASE’. Within 10 minutes, Pulser and I had stripped it down and
    began rebuilding it. We’re pleased to say folks, it’s a great ROM; and it’s fast.

quick word from kendon: i will try to set up a kitchen on saturday. i know it's urgent

A full wipe (data & dalvik-cache & sd-ext) is higly recommended to avoid problems of any kind!

DOWNLOAD HERE | see about radio here

What works?

Everything, of course.

What extras are included/What’s been done?

Custom OC Kernel (up to 690mhz), thanks to our very own Kendon.
    Superuser – ROOT access
    Busybox
    VPN Modules
    Apps2SD
    Optimizations to cache management
    Multi language support
    Voice search and dialer
    Optimized applications
    HTC modified keyboard
    Gallery 3D
    Wifi Tethering via aNetShare

What is missing?
    For example Friendstream. HTC made it very difficult for us to add stuff like Friendstream,
    but we are working on it. Wait patient for the OTA!

Why VillainROM 10? Because it is finally a release build on an official update!

APNs work out the box for most major networks.

Please note: due to a technical limitation with the VillainROM OTA Updater it shows
    VillainROM7.0.0 in Firmware version. This is correct, it is equal to VillainROM10 (as it says in Build number)

Kernel sources available on github (http://github.com/kendon/HeRo-2.6.29-GoDmOdE)
    - thanks to Behnam/toastcfh for the original modified sources

Special Thanks to: Pulser, HomerSP, Shen, Kendon, LennyUK, Jeremy, McDuck, MikeCoffee, Behnaam, Paul,jnwhiteh,
    Tristan202, RaiderX & anyone else that's ever helped, in any way with hosting, development, and theming.

Screenshots:
    1.png2.png
    3.png4.png
    5.png6.png

Go get it! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Oops, just noticed that someone else had mentioned this yesterday!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66248235&postcount=47
    Sorry theteal! Thought it'd deserve its own thread though :D

Am rebooting after installing it now, but am more excited at the prospect of a SuperHero ROM based on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

It's working pretty well, I'm happy with it, except for MMS which I can't get to work with any 2.1 roms (seems to work for everyone else so don't let this put you off)...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

I couldn't get it to work with meteor's 3g.

At first I thought it was the radio as I also updated that, but the same radio works fine when I went back to my last back up on nandroid.

I used the correct APN settings as well, so I can't see any other reason why it shouldn't be worked.

Anyone else have this problem with the VillainROM 10? If it's just me, it could be that I made a mistake in the APN settings but I can't see where, as I put in the exact same settings that are on the android forum here, which worked fine before.

R28 wrote: »
    I couldn't get it to work with meteor's 3g.

At first I thought it was the radio as I also updated that, but the same radio works fine when I went back to my last back up on nandroid.

I used the correct APN settings as well, so I can't see any other reason why it shouldn't be worked.

Anyone else have this problem with the VillainROM 10? If it's just me, it could be that I made a mistake in the APN settings but I can't see where, as I put in the exact same settings that are on the android forum here, which worked fine before.

Meteor 3G working fine for me with settings from the sticky, MMS not working though...

BigCon wrote: »
    Meteor 3G working fine for me with settings from the sticky, MMS not working though...

Hmm maybe it is the radio after all. Maybe the radio I downloaded just doesn't work with this ROM on Meteor. (It's actually not a problem with 3g, problem is that mobile internet isn't turning on at all.)

I used APN backup and restore from settings where the mobile internet worked so it is not the APN settings I put in. I might try an earlier radio version to see if that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Yeah I've the same issue. Cant get a mobile data connection on Meteor at all.

Ares wrote: »
    Yeah I've the same issue. Cant get a mobile data connection on Meteor at all.

Did you change your radio? I don't think it is a fault of the radio as I changed it back to an older version which didn't work either and both the old and new radio worked in older ROMs but maybe if you changed yours it could still be the issue

Wonder if it is some incompatibility between the custom ROM and meteor? In the wireless and network settings the mobile internet setting seems to get stuck at 'connecting to mobile data'.

Pity I can't get it to work as otherwise it seems like the ultimate 2.1 ROM.

It will take someone with more android know how then me to figure this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The site seems to be down and OTA updates not working. Best ROM yet from what I've seen of it. Haven't got any of the updates yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Running it on Vodafone since yesterday. No major issues and its the first 2.1 rom I've used that has a fully working GPS. I had issues with all the other ones not picking up satellites. I did notice the battery drained quick enough yesterday but it seems fine today. Great rom and v10 will improve judging by the work the Villain devs do. Needs a few themes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

for those of you having the problem connecting to mobile Internet, the solution is:

1: go into the APN settings
    2: Press menu and reset to default
    3: Manually enter the APN settings
    4: ???
    5: Profit! :D

That worked for me after almost tearing my hair out trying to get it to work!

• Advertisement

for those of you having the problem connecting to mobile Internet, the solution is:

No luck for me. I've done all sorts of fiddling with the APN settings and can't get it to work. Have I been looking at the wrong settings? What settings are working for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Anyone like to post a walkthrough of how to root and install a custom rom?

I've been too patient waiting on HTC and i think im finally gonna install a new ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

neacy69 wrote: »
    Anyone like to post a walkthrough of how to root and install a custom rom?

I've been too patient waiting on HTC and i think im finally gonna install a new ROM

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

from the "lets get started" part, it's pretty much step by step - this will have your phone rooted, when you've this done we can talk about flashing roms

theteal wrote: »
    http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

from the "lets get started" part, it's pretty much step by step - this will have your phone rooted, when you've this done we can talk about flashing roms

I was trying to root using the instantroot.apk in this guide:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-hero/54802-how-root-install-custom-rom-backup-more.html#post454660

but I seem to be having problems with it...have you used it before

I was trying to root using the instantroot.apk in this guide:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-hero/54802-how-root-install-custom-rom-backup-more.html#post454660

but I seem to be having problems with it...have you used it before

haven't used instantroot, can't help you there unfortunately. I did it via the guide I linked, contrary to how it looks it is surprisingly easy

This worked for me, cheers.

This worked for me, cheers.

Can I ask what settings you used? I've tried everything and for some reason I just can't get the APN settings to work properly on VillainROM 10. I must be going wrong somewhere but I can't quite figure it out.

Can someone confirm the Meteor MMS settings password? I've seen it listed as mms wap and even meteor in some places. I still can't get MMS working on a 2.1 Rom (currently running villain Rom 10)...

Can I ask what settings you used? I've tried everything and for some reason I just can't get the APN settings to work properly on VillainROM 10. I must be going wrong somewhere but I can't quite figure it out.

what network?

example:
    name - Meteor Data
    apn - data.mymeteor.ie
    apn type - default (must type this in)

should work, apparently clearing to default settings and re-entering these settings is the best practice if having issues

BigCon wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the Meteor MMS settings password? I've seen it listed as mms wap and even meteor in some places. I still can't get MMS working on a 2.1 Rom (currently running villain Rom 10)...

username - my
    password - mms

i upgraded to 10.0 yesterday, got the mms working again straight away (again ran the script + entered the manual settings)

• Advertisement

what network?

example:
    name - Meteor Data
    apn - data.meteor.ie
    apn type - default (must type this in)

should work, apparently clearing to default settings and re-entering these settings is the best practice if having issues

yeah am on meteor. Those are the settings I've used. I've cleared to default and re-entered those settings but still no luck with it.

I might try re-installing the entire ROM this evening to see if that will work any better.

yeah am on meteor. Those are the settings I've used. I've cleared to default and re-entered those settings but still no luck with it.

I might try re-installing the entire ROM this evening to see if that will work any better.

My apn is data.mymeteor.ie

excuse me, you are correct sir. . .entered these settings hundreds of times and still make this mistake on occasion, d'oh :rolleyes:

Thanks. I've also used that. Don't know why it won't work. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Not sure how critical this is, but on my Hero the predictive text adds a space automatically after I enter words, so when I put "default" in as the "apn type" it actually inserted "default(space)" - so remember to ensure you do a quick backspace before saving the APN Type.

Maybe it doesn't matter but just check if its not working for you.

Patrickof wrote: »
    Not sure how critical this is, but on my Hero the predictive text adds a space automatically after I enter words, so when I put "default" in as the "apn type" it actually inserted "default(space)" - so remember to ensure you do a quick backspace before saving the APN Type.

yeah, that's one of the villain keyboard hack settings, i disabled all of them, bugged the bejeazis out of me when typing - couldn't tell if it makes a difference in this instance though

Patrickof wrote: »

That's not the problem I'm having with it either-I made sure to delete the automatic extra space.

username - my
    password - mms

i upgraded to 10.0 yesterday, got the mms working again straight away (again ran the script + entered the manual settings)

I think it's something to do with permissions. I ran the script and it hangs on Entering Data.
    The reboot option in gscript doesn't work either, says stderr: not permitted!
    Reflashed the rom as well, but still the same.
    Guess I'll have to wait for the official release...

first ever installing a custom rom and it worked like a dream so far...The rom is installed and everything seems to be going ok.

I am in the process of restoring all my apps and data...

Only problem i have seen so far is with linking contacts to their facebook accounts - anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement

first ever installing a custom rom and it worked like a dream so far...The rom is installed and everything seems to be going ok.

I am in the process of restoring all my apps and data...

Only problem i have seen so far is with linking contacts to their facebook accounts - anyone else have this problem?

Theres a fix for that. Go to Villianrom updater and it'll download it.

Advertisement