Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Cooper is happy with senator Ivor Callelly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭eoinbn

moonpurple wrote: »
    ivor decided to resign today

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0605/callelyi_butlerl.html
    breaking news:eek:

So he has resigned from the party, but not his seat in the senate? By doing that he is admitting that he has done wrong so he will leave the party to save it's 'good' name but he is giving two fingers to the rest of us which is why he got into trouble in the first place! Only in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He only decided to resign the FF party whip. He is still a senator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

good.

but why are they always allowed resign and not just sacked?

I'd guess it's the same as the bankers and financial regulators........if you resign you'll keep your pensions and bonuses and whatever.

Anyway, the fact is - as pointed out above - he hasn't "resigned".......he quit his political party.

I think media outlets should phrase it like that to highlight the point that he still sees himself as good enough for the people who pay his wages and expenses, despite having tried to con them (us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

So is he still a member of FF or has he just resigned the whip? This other bollix Butler resigned from FF too over expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Biggins wrote: »
    FF lower members however need to do a drastic u-turn in their running and electing of their party hierarchy TODAY - not always tomorrow, tomorrow...

FF is built around patronage and loyalty to the leader. You may as well expect for a ballot of all Catholics to elect the pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Anyway, the fact is - as pointed out above - he hasn't "resigned".......he quit his political party.
    He resigned as Party Whip. The second half of the article is about Senator Burke, he quit FF yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Mr E wrote: »
    The article is spot on. The Seanad is pointless and this saga will accelerate its demise.

Is it the Senate that is pointless or the majority shower of fcucks who populate it ?

Or the shower of fcuks who put them there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Biggins wrote: »
    Well if they keep nominating/voting the same questionable people to the same vaulted positions...
    What are others left to think unless something is shown otherwise!:confused:

I'm NOT agreeing with the generalisation.
    FF lower members however need to do a drastic u-turn in their running and electing of their party hierarchy TODAY - not always tomorrow, tomorrow...

then why respond? its clear there are rotten eggs in FF that need ridding of, but the poster i quoted claimed that all FF members have no morals - how fcuked up is that? ridiculous hyperbolic bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

aDeener wrote: »
    then why respond? its clear there are rotten eggs in FF that need ridding of, but the poster i quoted claimed that all FF members have no morals - how fcuked up is that? ridiculous hyperbolic bull

You're right, it is unfair to say that everyone in FF has no morals, its just more like there's a majority who have no morals

And then there's the other majority who are just plain gombeens, case in point below.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

then why respond?
    To explain what others possibly see as ammunition to taint all.
    And again, I don't agree with the wholesome tainting.

I know of some very honourable and honest people within FF at ground level.
    Its just a pity they are being drowned out by some others wishing to take personal advantage (and this don't apply just to FF either by the way!) for self gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

gandalf wrote: »
    He only decided to resign the FF party whip. He is still a senator.
    Yep sadly this is something that I think might pass some people over. There's people who've resigned their ministerial position but stayed in their party and of course kept their seat and there's people like Ivor here who is merely leaving the party in a house of parliament that is impotent ie. has no power to hold the dail accountable because both houses of the parliament are controlled by the Fianna Fail/Green whip.

It's a damn smart move by Ivor really. Resign the whip to try and deflect some anger and attention away. He was probably advised by FF to resign the whip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Not as f*cked up as saying all FF members have morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

RATM wrote: »
    You're right, it is unfair to say that everyone in FF has no morals, its just more like there's a majority who have no morals

And then there's the other majority who are just plain gombeens, case in point below.

:D

Brilliant stuff... especially as the lead in line is about Cowen "steadying the party"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep sadly this is something that I think might pass some people over. There's people who've resigned their ministerial position but stayed in their party and of course kept their seat and there's people like Ivor here who is merely leaving the party in a house of parliament that is impotent ie. has no power to hold the dail accountable because both houses of the parliament are controlled by the Fianna Fail/Green whip.

It's a damn smart move by Ivor really. Resign the whip to try and deflect some anger and attention away. He was probably advised by FF to resign the whip!

Of course it is. Now when people all shakes their fists at FF and say reign your Senators in they can say "but they aren't our senators".

Its disgusting, immoral and wrong and both those men should resign if they had any honour (yes I know I am hoping for the impossible!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

ivor is now saying pis off to the resign request in a very long way

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/callely-my-emotional-crisis-after-poll-defeat-2209795.html

the best way to fix the callelly problem properly is to cure the cause: close the senate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

the best way to fix the callelly problem properly is to cure the cause: close the senate

LOL, the cause is his lack of ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

ivor is now saying pis off to the resign request in a very long way

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/callely-my-emotional-crisis-after-poll-defeat-2209795.html

I feel like I need a shower after reading that crap. He has lost, the game is up and he knows it hence the sob story. As if being rejected by your constituency isnt an occupational hazard in politics, what a bloody child. I wonder was the guy actually in love with himself to the point that he believed everyone else was too.

Our Ivor has had over a week to concoct some story to try cover his ass but jesus I didnt expect it to be that useless. He still maintains that Sheeps Head is his principal residence....ITS 6 HOURS DRIVE YOU MORON. I think he's sticking to the 'tell a lie enough times....etc'

Joe Duffy et al blew the smarmy ****ebag out of the water on Liveline when he said that he see's Our Ivor running along the coast road every morning at 6am. If it was me I'd fess up, fessing up is honorable and it does afford some dignity to the wrongdoer. By sticking to his cock and bull story he will not only lose his place in the Senate, he'll be unable to work in the public realm again.

For all the goings on with Our government in the last few years, this is the first time I've had the urge to pleat rotten eggs....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I feel like I need a shower after reading that crap. He has lost, the game is up and he knows it hence the sob story. As if being rejected by your constituency isnt an occupational hazard in politics, what a bloody child. I wonder was the guy actually in love with himself to the point that he believed everyone else was too.

+1.

Ivor the Ingenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Who are the people that are suppose to check and verify expense claims?

These dodgy politicians need to be weeded out but so do the people that turn a blind eye

first ivor steals from us and then laughs in our faces...

http://www.ireland.com/news/statement-by-senator-ivor-callely/423832

is it time to retake the GPO?

I thought we had ended the intolerable rule of a haughty aristocracy in 1922
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Talk about stating (or deliberately NOT stating) the obvious!
    I was residing in my residence in West Cork when I was appointed to the Seanad. My expenses were initiated to reflect that position. But due to the way this controversy has been presented, I can relate to and acknowledge the level of public annoyance.

When was he appointed ? August 2007
    When had he moved to Cork ?
    Did he move to Dublin as soon as he got the job, like most people would if they had the luxury of two houses ?

The obvious question is when did he move to Dublin, and why didn't he inform his employer that the expenses were no longer applicable ?

If there was a month or two overlap, I'd say something, but €81,000 ????

That'd do me for 4 years, and not as "expenses" either - as gross untaxable income!

Hopefully the Independent will keep the preesure on Jackie Healy Rea to explain his many years of expences and shanigans: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/healyrae-bullish-over-expenses-2209830.html

Next in line? About bloody time!
    JACKIE Healy-Rae has admitted that up until recently he has been driving to the Dail from his south Kerry constituency in the company of another Oireachtas member -- but he cannot say if they both claimed mileage expenses for their journey.

The 69-year-old politician -- who regularly travels to the capital by train for Dail sittings, claiming €72 for his ticket on each occasion, despite being entitled to free travel by virtue of his age -- similarly refused to identify the politician with whom he had been car pooling.
    Asked if he might at least consider the purchase of a €10 train ticket, as opposed to the more expensive option of €72, so saving the taxpayer €62 in the process, he responded by asking what concern his travel arrangements were to the Sunday Independent.

...And he qualifies for free travel anyway given his age!
    I suspect that he's just using the price of a ticket to justify his claims - yet again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Matt Cooper is an idiot.

Unethical action is unethical. Stealing money from the state to do the state a service is stealing from the state, which is never doing a service.

At the age of 30, Matt Cooper became the youngest ever editor of a national newspaper in this country.

He is anything but an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Personally, I think expenses should be paid from the constituency office to the Dáil because at the end of the day, if he wasn't going to the Dáil, he'd be going to his constituency office anyway.

So he'd have to travel from Cork to Dublin all on his own, every morning, to his constituency office, claim-free.

Third Fianna Fáil senator 'asked to explain expenses'
    A third Fianna Fáil senator has reportedly been asked by the party to provide an explanation of expense claims.
    The Sunday Business Post says Dublin-based Senator Ann Ormonde claimed expenses from a holiday home in Waterford for a period of time.

source: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/third-fianna-fail-senator-asked-to-explain-expenses-460580.html#ixzz0q4uQQNyr

The words "here we go again..." spring to mind.
    It seems she is not the only one however as others are listed too as questionable. Including from the other said of the Dail too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'd also like to see Jackie Healy Rea explain his expenses, far more explicit than Ivor's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

gandalf wrote: »
    Of course it is. Now when people all shakes their fists at FF and say reign your Senators in they can say "but they aren't our senators".

Its disgusting, immoral and wrong and both those men should resign if they had any honour (yes I know I am hoping for the impossible!).
    Well Brian Cowen should resign and dissolve the government and call a general election but that's so impossible not even Jim Phelps could accomplish that one!

Well Brian Cowen should resign and dissolve the government and call a general election but that's so impossible not even Jim Phelps could accomplish that one!

+1

• Advertisement

I'd also like to see Jackie Healy Rea explain his expenses, far more explicit than Ivor's.
    So far this year €70,000: 166de7k.jpg

Last year: €90,000 on top of other expenses.
    xq2w3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement