Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Evo in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Actually the iphone is probably the reason you might not see an equivalent EVO phone in Europe. As it isn't actually in direct competition with the iphone it got to release to "record" launch figures and is now sold out across the states.

Chances are there will be lul in the market now while other brands wait for the iphone hype to die and

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TrueBlue90

I've heard that the HTC Desire HD will be similar to the HTC Evo 4G, but for GSM-based carriers - http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16885&news=Google+Android+OS+2.2+HTC+Desire+HD (HTC Desire HD Stars in a Short Video) If so, I wonder will it be available in Ireland? I was thinking of buying the Desire but I might just wait and see what happens with the HD - and what the price will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

get a hd2 and put android on it :) done and dusted :) just missing the 3 megapixels of the camera ;) and the mini HDMI

desire HD is around the corner so we will see what that brings...

the only thing that im missing on the HD2 is video out...would love to plug the phone into the telly :) connect the PS3 controller to it and play my PS1 games on it through the telly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

Your all depressing me. I was hoping a version of the HTC EVO 4g would be available and work in Ireland. I love the Idea of the phone as a wifi access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

get a hd2 and put android on it :) done and dusted :) just missing the 3 megapixels of the camera ;) and the mini HDMI

desire HD is around the corner so we will see what that brings...

the only thing that im missing on the HD2 is video out...would love to plug the phone into the telly :) connect the PS3 controller to it and play my PS1 games on it through the telly :D
    It can wirelessly connect to the telly. You either need a compatatble telly or a wireless to hdmi dongle that HTC are selling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Mits wrote: »
    Your all depressing me. I was hoping a version of the HTC EVO 4g would be available and work in Ireland. I love the Idea of the phone as a wifi access point.

Any Froyo phone lets you do that -- It's not as fast as a 4G network, but that would need a lot more than just selling a phone. I've occasionally put my Desire in "Wi-Fi Hotspot" mode - is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

If this phone came out in Ireland tomorrow I'd buy it!

I've emailed HTC and here is their reply:
    In regards to the HTC Evo, I can help you with the confirmation that this device is an exclusive product from the US Sprint network. It can be used anywhere around the world but it can be purchased only through the network.

Due to enclosure agreements with the network HTC won't release a second version of this unit in the European market.

More details about the HTC Evo can be found at http://now.sprint.com/evo/?intcid=inp100419evous

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
    Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
    Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Explore our development resources developer.htc.com

PeteK* wrote: »
    If this phone came out in Ireland tomorrow I'd buy it!
    I've emailed HTC and here is their reply:
    HTC wrote:
    In regards to the HTC Evo, I can help you with the confirmation that this device is an exclusive product from the US Sprint network. It can be used anywhere around the world but it can be purchased only through the network.

Due to enclosure agreements with the network HTC won't release a second version of this unit in the European market.

More details about the HTC Evo can be found at http://now.sprint.com/evo/?intcid=inp100419evous

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
    Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
    Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Explore our development resources developer.htc.com

it might be able to "work" anywhere in the world, but it won't actually act as a phone outside the US/CA. It uses a completely different (and incompatible) network, so no roaming!

If you bring it abroad, you can use it for data in WiFi and *maybe* WiMax areas, but certainly not as a phone in any real sense.

The HTC Desire HD is almost identical (though you do lose some features such as WiMax & Front facing camera), but will work as a proper phone almost anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

They told me this:
    HTC Rep wrote:

The HTC Evo is released in GSM or CDMA version.
    A CDMA phone will not work in Europe, Asia or Africa.

PeteK* wrote: »
    They told me this:

Hmm...the Evo is a Sprint exclusive, which is a CDMA network. If you go to the HTC website, they have two Evo models (the Evo 4G and the Evo Shift 4G) -- both of which say "Buy from Sprint" (and have no other option). Why would they have a GSM model?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You have to remember that HTC is still a bit of a "private label" maker i.e. it will make phones to custom specs for any network who wants them to. They've always done this.

They always made phone for O2 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Get an HTC Pyramid.

Advertisement