Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Evo in Ireland

Options
  • 04-06-2010 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Any insight into the availability of the HTC Evo through vodafone, meteor, 02, etc in the Republic of Ireland?

Sure love to have one. It's releasing in the UK this summer, I think. But nothing heard about Ireland...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's not releasing anywhere outside of the USA. Importing is not an option either as it won't work over here. The EVO is a CDMA phone and no network in Ireland (Or Europe) uses CDMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks for the explanation. What is my closest alternative? Wait for the google phone? Another HTC option? Kinda limited without OOTB appstore access isn't it?

uvox wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation. What is my closest alternative? Wait for the google phone? Another HTC option? Kinda limited without OOTB appstore access isn't it?
    What do you mean? The Google Phone (First the HTC G1 and Now the Nexus One) has been out for a long long time. The HTC Desire is the exact same as the Nexus One barr a few slight changes. They all have out of the box market access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks - that's useful. Will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

The EVO will come here, under a different name and without the 4G radio.

Once the Desire stock has been sold you will see an EVO here. HTC do it all the time.

• Advertisement

The EVO will come here, under a different name and without the 4G radio.

Once the Desire stock has been sold you will see an EVO here. HTC do it all the time.
    I doubt that to be quite honest.

HTC have another phone coming out in next few months (I'm thinking Q4) called the HTC Vision which is a HTC Desire with a slide out qwerty keyboard. They will be the very same phone (Even in styling) with the only difference being the fact that the vision will have a qwerty keyboard.

The EVO and the Incredible however are more than likely not going to ever see outside of the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

HTC have another phone coming out in next few months (I'm thinking Q4) called the HTC Vision which is a HTC Desire with a slide out qwerty keyboard. They will be the very same phone (Even in styling) with the only difference being the fact that the vision will have a qwerty keyboard.

The EVO and the Incredible however are more than likely not going to ever see outside of the states.

Details are starting to surface about the HTC Scorpion with its 1.5mhz chip-set.

Venom wrote: »
    Details are starting to surface about the HTC Scorpion with its 1.5mhz chip-set.
    Which is heading for Verizon USA ;)

They use CDMA bands which aren't used in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

That Vision sounds interesting.
    Wouldn't mind a slide out qwerty.

Which is heading for Verizon USA ;)

They use CDMA bands which aren't used in Ireland.

True, but no reason HTC won't hit the European market with a phone with the same chip.

• Advertisement

True, but no reason HTC won't hit the European market with a phone with the same chip.
    Not until Q3/Q4 i'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Not until Q3/Q4 i'd expect.

Just in time for my wallet to recover from the Nexus One :pac:

Google're gonna have to get something out sharpish after the iPhone 4, to continue this EVO 4G momentum. Shadow may well be it, but it seems quite iterative from what I've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

yeah, iPhone specs will be the deciding factor. If it blows away the rest, we might see a newer HTC model by Autumn.

Its screen is pretty high res, by all accounts, so that's one area where its already got the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

They all have out of the box market access.
    They have OOTB market access, but only to free apps, as Irish money isn't good enough for Google :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Big market overhaul on the way for FroYo, though. We'll see what happens then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

HTC is supplying quite a lot of handsets to the niche market that is CDMA. Those networks were largely overlooked by other smartphone makers over the years.

I've no doubt that HTC will launch some of the first handsets on genuine 4G i.e. LTE which is due to launch commercially here fairly soon.

Don't get too impressed by the use of the term "4G" in the united states at the moment. Some of the handsets on offer branded as 4G are jus using CDMA 2G/3G and then using a WiMax connection in limited areas for "4G" data using clearwire's network.

The speeds aren't all tha impressive and can be matched or bettered by European HSPA+ 3.75G networks.

LTE is the 4th step in the Euro terminology for mobile phones.

1G - Analogue e.g. TACS (the old 088 eircell), NMT etc etc. Non standardised
    2G - GSM & GPRS data
    2.75G - GSM & EDGE
    3G - UMTS
    3.5G - UMTS & HSPDA mobile broadband
    3.75G - UMTS & HSPA+ enhanced mobile broadband
    4G - LTE

from 2G to 4G handsets and networks are all standardised, open and modular and fully backwards compatible. That's the main reason why the GSM family of standards is the de facto global standard for mobile communications.

They have OOTB market access, but only to free apps, as Irish money isn't good enough for Google :mad:

There are legal licensing issues that must be taken care of before Google open up paid apps in Ireland

How come Apple can get those issues sorted that much quicker?

There are legal licensing issues that must be taken care of before Google open up paid apps in Ireland

I thought the whole thing about the EU market was that if you could sell to one you could sell to them all? Google sell to the UK, therefore they sell inside the EU, therefore there is no logical reason why they can't sell to the rest of the EU (even if they sell in GBP).

I thought the whole thing about the EU market was that if you could sell to one you could sell to them all? Google sell to the UK, therefore they sell inside the EU, therefore there is no logical reason why they can't sell to the rest of the EU (even if they sell in GBP).
    It doesn't work like that i'm afraid. It allow free trade between EU states. As you can imagine, the market consists of developers from across the world

• Advertisement

It doesn't work like that i'm afraid. It allow free trade between EU states. As you can imagine, the market consists of developers from across the world

They import the product from the worldwide developer market into the EU. Once it is here, they can sell it to anybody within the EU - exactly the same way that companies such as Amazon.co.uk sell to anybody in the EU, not just those inside the UK.

Just because Google make life difficult for themselves doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Either way, it's a significant obstacle to Android in Ireland - the fact that you have to go and find an alternate market store to sell apps (if you're an Irish developer), and an alternate market store to buy apps (or root your phone) if you're an Irish consumer.

Fyi, applications have to be sold in the currency of their local market. If a developer's local market doesn't support paid apps, they can't sell them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Client404

uvox wrote: »
    Any insight into the availability of the HTC Evo through vodafone, meteor, 02, etc in the Republic of Ireland?

Sure love to have one. It's releasing in the UK this summer, I think. But nothing heard about Ireland...

Phonesonline already has a sim free version that'll work in Ireland waiting in line. Don't be put off by the misinformation here just yet :)

lolno. I take it "phonesonline" are running their own local CDMA network then? Even if there are pockets of WiMax around Dublin, the EVO 4G only uses it for data.

Baza210 wrote: »
    lolno. I take it "phonesonline" are running their own local CDMA network then? Even if there are pockets of WiMax around Dublin, the EVO 4G only uses it for data.

I don't suppose so. But the sure thing is, it'll be a business disaster to keep a phone like Evo barricaded in *just* the US. If HD2 can work in Ireland, then I don't see why Evo can't be configured to do the same (and yeah I get the difference), but personally I'm more interested in the specs than anything else. I can't imagine why HTC would be incapable of doing Evo with the same specs minus CDMA. Can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Client404 wrote: »
    I don't suppose so. But the sure thing is, it'll be a business disaster to keep a phone like Evo barricaded in *just* the US. If HD2 can work in Ireland, then I don't see why Evo can't be configured to do the same (and yeah I get the difference), but personally I'm more interested in the specs than anything else. I can't imagine why HTC would be incapable of doing Evo with the same specs minus CDMA. Can you?

Might be some sort of exclusive deal with the Carrier in the states.

zod wrote: »

I like "techcrunch," but that's just one man's opinion - Although it's still worth noting.

However, if you read most of the comments under the article, you can quickly see that a lot of people who actually own EVO, completely disagree. Some even claim the battery is better than Pre and some other prominent phones (from their experience). Besides, having a title such as "Don’t Buy The HTC EVO, It Is A Seriously Flawed Device," is a bit unprofessional... don't you think?

But anyway, thanks for pointing it out. It's worth doing a bit more research on.

Might be some sort of exclusive deal with the Carrier in the states.

That's a possibility. If I were HTC though, I'd be stabbing myself in the eye with a needle at this point, based on the fact that the phone is actually very popular, and could've broken more barriers for HTC in other countries other than the US. Would be a pretty dumb exclusive deal, and generally a bad business decision for HTC in my opinion. But eh... you never know... Maybe you're right.

• Advertisement

Client404 wrote: »
    That's a possibility. If I were HTC though, I'd be stabbing myself in the eye with a needle at this point, based on the fact that the phone is actually very popular, and could've broken more barriers for HTC in other countries other than the US. Would be a pretty dumb exclusive deal, and generally a bad business decision for HTC in my opinion. But eh... you never know... Maybe you're right.

Not really. Im sure HTC will have an Evo specced device with a new design for Europe soon just like they did with the Incredible/Desire. a few weeks for the iphone 4 hype to ease down may show some really interesting releases.

Advertisement