Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old ESB ads

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Can anyone tell me how much it costs to dry a load of clothes with a 'tumble dryer'?

Where I used to live; it was about a dollar each week (assuming to loads of laundry per week). Say $60 per year. That'd be like....45 euro. And I'd save all the time required to hang up my clothes and the time required to take them down. Say - 10 minutes per load, 20 minutes per week, 17 hours per year.

Paying 2.6 euro to avoid an hour of dealing with the laundry seems like a good deal to me. And I felt like my clothes were softer/less wrinkled too. Are the numbers drastically different here? I'm poor now and don't have a dryer to use even if I wanted to; but I was surprised at how uncommon they seem to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Christ, I remember all those. I had vague memories of the Night Saver one but couldn't remember what exactly it was for. I remember watching the one with Alan Hughes as I child, it's weird to think I've come home from abroad a few Christmases myself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

TheZohan wrote: »
    What about that poor woman that your company had slung in jail?
    Like he can answer.

And eh... it didn't sling her in jail. Despite the media spin that it was a poor little frail old lady (aged 65 - not that old) who lovingly planted those trees (which she was selling on), that's not the full story. She defied a court order - don't believe the Indymedia muppetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hi guys,

Just an FYI. We have re-aired the old ad featuring Dusty Springfield and Alan Hughes, as some of you have spotted already. We're running it again for Christmas, and have the new version up on Youtube as of this morning:

I got a shock from a socket when I was a youngfella. It was your electricity so I would like an apology please. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

Of course it's Dusty Springfield who makes the ad so good, kudos to the agency who thought of it back then before she (RIP) got a career boost from Pulp Fiction.

It is said that when Carole King (no mean songwriter herself) first heard "Going Back" it moved her to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Arrrghhh... nostalgia overload... must... turn... off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dudess wrote: »
    Like he can answer.

And eh... it didn't sling her in jail. Despite the media spin that it was a poor little frail old lady (aged 65 - not that old) who lovingly planted those trees (which she was selling on), that's not the full story. She defied a court order - don't believe the Indymedia muppetry.

He shouldn't expect to be able to spam AH with his retarded ESB advert and not be asked questions about that poor old lady that ended up in court because of the ESB is the point Dudess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

/QUOTE]

As a guy from the 90's and never seen that Ad before, I was actually expecting there to be some type of car crash in it. Really though it was something to do with the RSA.

Also , biggest waste of money changing the name of the ESB to Electric Ireland, no point in it. It's like when 98FM changed there name to 98 and engaged in some terrible branding, just ended up back with 98FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

God, that Dusty Springfield ad was Christmas for me and it still looks as good today. Maybe it's true all those stories about advertising. It's making me all sad now remembering some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

I was actually expecting there to be some type of car crash in it. Really though it was something to do with the RSA.

I thought exactly the same thing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement