Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old ESB ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ha ha, thank you!! I spent the last 2 weeks looking for this ad, was doing a thing on my blog on old Irish adverts and this is the one I wanted the most.

Ah man, the memories!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

The one with Cook Electric brought back memories for me, such a catchy tune from my primary school days - If you wanna get your man at the pan, cook electric, so clean so nice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This was my favourite, the old CIE Craven Coaches. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btqSxlUJyxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

It never shows them stopping in the local and daddy getting langers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Jesus, that Nightsaver ad (F) was a blast from the past! Thanks OP. I'd totally forgotten how catchy that was! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Flashback! I remember having innapropriate feelings about the girl at the end of ad (E), tho I'd prob have been to young at the time to know what to do with them anyway. Whoever she is/was she must be 50 now!

Ad (A) features TV3 presenter Alan Hughes. I wonder if Granny in the ad knew that Alan was no longer playing for the local parish and instead was lining out for the other side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

NOSTALGIA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sorry for bumping this old thread but that ad is back on again on TV3..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The ad with dusty springfield singing going back nearly has me teary eyed with nostalgia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the one with puddle jumper alan hughes really brings me back to the 80's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

jaysus, the nightsaver mammy is Orla 'Mistresses' Brady!

flip it lads, don't know how to embed a video!!!

link to a goldie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

bonerm wrote: »
    Flashback! I remember having innapropriate feelings about the girl at the end of ad (E), tho I'd prob have been to young at the time to know what to do with them anyway. Whoever she is/was she must be 50 now!
    Perfectly understandable...!!As far as I can make out its Irish Actress Orla Brady. Still hot and she must be 50 now. Check her out. EDIT CMJCork beat me to it!

W123-80's wrote: »
    Perfectly understandable...!!As far as I can make out its Irish Actress Orla Brady. Still hot and she must be 50 now. Check her out.

when I saw this post I thought you must be nuts, there's no way she's 50, but she is!!! Jesus! fair play to her! she looks flipping brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I saw that ad on TV the other night and thought I was hallucinationg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Those ads are reminding me of Glenroe, school around the corner, and checkup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi guys,

Just an FYI. We have re-aired the old ad featuring Dusty Springfield and Alan Hughes, as some of you have spotted already. We're running it again for Christmas, and have the new version up on Youtube as of this morning:

You'll find all the other oldies on the Electric Ireland Youtube Channel too. :)

All the best,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Hi guys,

Just an FYI. We have re-aired the old ad featuring Dusty Springfield and Alan Hughes, as some of you have spotted already. We're running it again for Christmas, and have the new version up on Youtube as of this morning:

You'll find all the other oldies on the Electric Ireland Youtube Channel too. :)

All the best,

David.

Thats Rush/Lusk train station at the start of the advert, the pedestarian bridge in the background has been replaced in the last year with a wheelchair accesible one. The station also doubled as Dun Laoghaire train station in the movie Michael Collins.

Should I put my anorak back on and leave now.........

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Just out of curiousity, why did the ESB bother advertising at all in the 1980's? I mean its not like there was any competition or no one had heard of electricity.

EDIT: Just to add, I actually like the "Coming Home" ad, I just find it all a bit odd. Its kinda like a county council advertising the water that comes out your kitchen tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Thats Rush/Lusk train station at the start of the advert, the pedestarian bridge in the background has been replaced in the last year with a wheelchair accesible one. The station also doubled as Dun Laoghaire train station in the movie Michael Collins.

Should I put my anorak back on and leave now.........

I grew up really near that station and I remember when they were filming there for Michael Collins! Didn't realise it was in this ad too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I just got a serious burst of nostalgia.

Is that Alan Hughes, of TV3 morning weather fame?

Using the term fame liberally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

orourkeda wrote: »
    I saw that ad on TV the other night and thought I was hallucinationg
    Members of the ESB advertising team were probably reading this thread. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Why did you edit out the Electric Blanket being switched on in the re-aired ad? I know they weren't all that safe back in the day but they're that bit safer now..!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Coming Home one makes me feel sad.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

It makes me feel sad too. The amount of petrol the poor father uses driving twice around the Wicklow mountains via the most ridiculous route ever devised. The poor chap could easily have gone straight there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Hi guys,

All the best,

David.

What about that poor woman that your company had slung in jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Hi guys,

All the best,

David.

I wonder did the mother find any 'interesting' reading material when she was cleaning up Alan's room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

"Coming home" and "only you" are a real blast from the past for me. I think they must have aired mostly after 6-7, probably seemed sorrful for me when I was 5 because I was being packed off to bed while it was on the ads after glenroe was over !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Dotrel wrote: »
    I wonder did the mother find any 'interesting' reading material when she was cleaning up Alan's room?

LOL

Bet she's a bit more frugal with the juice these days. Two counties dimmed when she came home ffs.

Advertisement