Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sharing space with cyclists

Options
  • 04-06-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

I received my motor tax renewal today and this was included along with it from the Department of Transport.

Seems to be mostly common sense.

img003yk.jpg
    img001rky.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good idea, hopefully people will take note of it and not just fire it in the bin.

Particularly the one about the stop and advance stop line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Yay cyclists rant!!! :D

The posters make sense, specially the 2nd comment -

"Cyclists can be vulnerable when they interact with cars...."

So in other words don't interact with the car and you'll be fine!!

The one thing I really hate is when there is a cycle lane and the cyclist is stuck out in the middle of the road like a complete idiot. I would regard this as interacting with me and as the poster say cyclists are vulnerable when they interact with cars. Stay in the bloody cycle lane!!!!

Shane732 wrote: »

The one thing I really hate is when there is a cycle lane and the cyclist is stuck out in the middle of the road like a complete idiot. I would regard this as interacting with me and as the poster say cyclists are vulnerable when they interact with cars. Stay in the bloody cycle lane!!!!

They don't avoid cycle lanes for fun, try cycling in some of those lanes and you'll see why many avoid them. Badly designed, not maintained at all and often more dangerous than riding on the road. Have a look here for some examples of unusable cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm very cyclist and motorbike aware but some of the risks / attitude of a rare minority of cyclists is extremely annoying.

Using roads, when there is a cycle lane, cutting through traffic (again when there is a cycle lane), cutting onto the path to get a green light and then back onto the road, Cycling on the road in bad conditions when there is an empty, safer, path to cycle on. I know cycling on the path is incorrect (illegal if I'm not mistaken) but on a clear path, why not just move in. Safer for driver and cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm very cyclist and motorbike aware but some of the risks / attitude of a rare minority of cyclists is extremely annoying.

Using roads, when there is a cycle lane, cutting through traffic (again when there is a cycle lane), cutting onto the path to get a green light and then back onto the road, Cycling on the road in bad conditions when there is an empty, safer, path to cycle on. I know cycling on the path is incorrect (illegal if I'm not mistaken) but on a clear path, why not just move in. Safer for driver and cyclist.

I cycle a road bike, it has no suspension and very thin wheels that can take forward motion but not side impacts or kerb dropping.
    I never use cycle lanes. They are a death trap for road bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Wow, way to completely miss the point.

As the leaflet says, cars and cyclists SHARE the road, therefore they are constantly interracting with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

As a motorcyclist, I can never understand why it seems like MOST cyclists on the open road seem to think the rules are all one-sided and that their safety is my responsibility.

Arrogance is the word I most often use.

cantdecide wrote: »
    As a motorcyclist, I can never understand why it seems like MOST cyclists on the open road seem to think the rules are all one-sided and that their safety is my responsibility.

:D I'm totally like that... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

cantdecide wrote: »

Arrogance is the word I most often use.

Im a car driver and motorbike rider as a profession.....however some time ago I did the Garda mountain bike course. During the weeks training (where we just wore hi vis vests unmarked and no uniform.....we were nearly killed on several occasions from motorists trying their best to overtake us!!! One guy stayed behind us and hooted until we stopped!!! We were in single file, 5 bikes.

After this I cycled in uniform when detailed for it.....never a hoot.....never people impatient....suprise suprise!!

I now have a new found respect for cyclists and the dangers awaiting them on the roads. Cyclists have as much right over the road as a car......if car drivers cycled every now and again they would understand!!

Anyway....this has been done to death!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I'm very cyclist and motorbike aware of all road users but some of the risks / attitude of a rare minority not insignificant number of cyclistsroad users is extremely annoying.

the point is we all share the road, we all have eaqual responsibility and there's idiots in both camps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

i am a cyclist and i drive but i can't understand why cyclist don't need to have a licence to be on the road and why there is not a specific set of the rules of the road sent out to every house for cyclists as i can tell you now the amount of people who don't know the rules isout of this world on irish roads

and i will say one other thing i do believe if you have a bike you should have to pay road tax (small amount when buying the bike or maybe 10 euro a year to help subsidise) and that money should be inputted in to putting in and maintaining the cycle lanes as most are a joke cycle through rathfarnam and you'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

I am a keen driver who has recently started cycling again.

Honestly I am shocked at how aggressive irish motorists are to cyclists on the open road. For all the delay it causes to be patient behind a cyclist until an overtaking opportunity presents itself most drivers would rather run you into the ditch. Cyclists have no protection in a crash - we are actually talking about peoples lives here.

On the cycle lanes, they are more likely to be filled with potholes and parked cars than bikes. Most are lethal.

On not paying motor tax i'd say most adult cyclists have a car anyway.

I know that I am probably preaching to the converted here but we can all spread the word here. Think of it like this, how would we want our children treated on the road while they're on bikes (oh won't someone think of the children :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

The council have now marked the Greenhills road for cycle lanes which in places makes the remainder of the road dangerously narrow for motorists who will subconsciously hug the crown of the road to stay out of the cycle lane. Once again in this bloody country the majority (the motorist who are actually PAYING for this crap) have to bend over for the minority (the loony greens who want us all on bicycles).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

hohojojo wrote: »
    i am a cyclist and i drive but i can't understand why cyclist don't need to have a licence to be on the road and why there is not a specific set of the rules of the road sent out to every house for cyclists as i can tell you now the amount of people who don't know the rules isout of this world on irish roads

and i will say one other thing i do believe if you have a bike you should have to pay road tax (small amount when buying the bike or maybe 10 euro a year to help subsidise) and that money should be inputted in to putting in and maintaining the cycle lanes as most are a joke cycle through rathfarnam and you'll see

The current Rules of the Road cover both motorists and cyclists; there's no need for anything specific. There are serious issues both with cycle lanes and enforcement of road law with cyclists. Look on the Cycling forum, you'll find the vast majority of cyclists share the same concerns.

For maybe the millionth time, nobody pays road tax - check the disc on your car to see why. The tax you pay for your car each year goes to the general tax pool, not specifically to roads or anything else. As a motorist and cyclist I pay more than enough tax each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

There's asshole motorists and asshole cyclists. The big difference though is that the asshole cyclist isn't likely to get anyone but themselves killed.

In general I'd say it's safe to say that the asshole motorists are people who never cycle, and that the opposite is also true. Equally, I'd say it's safe to assume that the asshole pedestrians who walk in cycle lanes and step in front of oncoming traffic aren't regular cyclists or motorists.

I'm not sure what my point is, but anyway... :pac:

Andrew33 wrote: »
    The council have now marked the Greenhills road for cycle lanes which in places makes the remainder of the road dangerously narrow for motorists who will subconsciously hug the crown of the road to stay out of the cycle lane. Once again in this bloody country the majority (the motorist who are actually PAYING for this crap) have to bend over for the minority (the loony greens who want us all on bicycles).

but if its a broken line cycle lane then motorists can and will drive in it.

Cyclists are only in the minority due to the useless gov policies over the last several decades. You just have to look at somewhere like Amsterdam to see what could be done properly. most car commuters in Dublin could cycle but won't due to the perception of cyclists and cycling held in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

thread here last week about a cyclist on the m4 motorway , just dont forget to keep an eye out for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Stupid question maybe, but is it legal for cyclists to cycle on the footpath? It's arrogant and dangerous to pedestrians when they do imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Andrew33 wrote: »

If you think driving down it is dangerous. Cycle down it, at night. :D

Actually the motorist isn't solely paying for it. Every tax payer is. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Confab wrote: »
    Stupid question maybe, but is it legal for cyclists to cycle on the footpath? It's arrogant and dangerous to pedestrians when they do imo.

Depends on the footpath. Might be signposted for bikes aswell. I hate cycle lanes on path they are usually dire. Adults should not be on the pavement. But what about kids?

I don't agree with it. But how dangerous is it though. Its not like every week you see someone killed/injured by a cyclist on a footpath. What is it one death per year. Per decade? How does it rate compared to other death statistics?

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »

no its not, ever.

Combined footpath and cycle lanes exist but these are always flagged as such. There are also footpath level cycle lanes but again these are clearly divided from footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Attention cyclists in Dublin 14, 16, 24

PLEASE USE THE CYCLE LANES PROVIDED (at great cost!)

On Weekends, cycling clubs heading out for your spins, please remember to ride no more than two abreast!

Most Sat and Sun mornings I have to try to overtake big groups who think they are in the Tour De France peloton, bless 'em.

Some groups are very organised and are obviously form good clubs etc in fairness.

dearg lady wrote: »
    Wow, way to completely miss the point.

As the leaflet says, cars and cyclists SHARE the road, therefore they are constantly interracting with each other.

I didn't miss the point at all.....

They don't avoid cycle lanes for fun, try cycling in some of those lanes and you'll see why many avoid them. Badly designed, not maintained at all and often more dangerous than riding on the road. Have a look here for some examples of unusable cycle lanes.

Have you seen some of the roads that some people drive on??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

There's a difference between unsuitable and unusable cycle lanes and bad roads. If I cycle into a pothole on a cycle track I find myself in a pretty dangerous position where I risk falling in front of traffic with obvious consequences. If I drive into a pothole in my Focus the consequences may be expensive but it's not dangerous in the same sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

I received my motor tax renewal today and this was included along with it from the Department of Transport.

Seems to be mostly common sense.

img003yk.jpg
    img001rky.jpg
    very good , i hope the cyclists get a motor version with their cycle tax renewal !!!

bazza1 wrote: »
    On Weekends, cycling clubs heading out for your spins, please remember to ride no more than two abreast!

it's 3 wide where there is a broken white line and two otherwise isin't it?

it's 3 wide where there is a broken white line and two otherwise isin't it?

No the most allowed is 2 abreast with an exeption for a cyclist overtaking a pair of cyclists 2 abreast, in which case they would be briefly 3 abreast.

Have you seen some of the roads that some people drive on??

If there was a really dangerous, twisty, narrow, potholed road with a nice safe dual carriageway next to it which would you use?

Cycle lanes, in particular the off road variety have been shown in every single study done anywhere in the world to dramatically decrease the safety of cyclists at junctions, which is where the vast majority of accidents happen. Here is a diagram showin the most common types of collision and how much more frequent they are when a cyclist rides on an off road cycle lane versus on the road.

Cycle_path_collision_risks.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This is unfortunately true for all road users, it's not a cyclist exclusive issue.

Advertisement