Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugly Irish (Completed) buildings

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

We need to get back to building with natural stone first. Then block buildings plastered and nicely painted. Stone cladding would even do.

Glass buildings are awful. They look cheap and shabby in no time. And after 20 years they look truely awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Lansdowne Road Stadium genuinely looks OK on the outside.
    Nice clean glass curvature. Aesthetically pleasing.

But when you go in, after looking in bewilderment at the supporting poles and the layout, you say to yourself
    "WTF were they thinking ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

+1

60s Brutalism at its very nadir.

Plus One again, looks like it was built with what was left from Dublin Airport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

we should go back to living in damp n dark caves. Life seemed simple then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/0622/1224299367520.html

The Gasworks? Why would you want to work/live there? This is like something you'd see on an oil/gas rig. It's horrendous looking. Whoever designed it must have spent their lives at sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

woodoo wrote: »

Glass buildings are awful. They look cheap and shabby in no time. And after 20 years they look truely awful.

some of the best buildings in the world are glass e.g bank of china tower 22 years old and still looking great

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

The worst i see is every day the fourcourts on church street, at some time in the 60's i presume they put some extension on top of it. It looks like someone threw up on it, they should rip this asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Don't know if anyone reading this has ever seen the leisure centre in Arklow but it should get an honourable mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8349545@N03/2190158004/

Apperently they meant to build 6 of them, put up 2 and realised how bad they where and built the glass fronted building infront of them to hide them.

The other side of the argument (that I've heard) is that due to mounting public opinion, based on the two being built at the time, they completely altered the rest of the project. Had it been left the way it was, it would've 'made sense' and, you know, people would've loved it.

A bit far fetched (although I must say, I have a sneaky regard for the two bunkers).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pal wrote: »
    Lansdowne Road Stadium genuinely looks OK on the outside.
    Nice clean glass curvature. Aesthetically pleasing.

I agree. I love walking towards it from the Grand Canal. It looms over the horizon like a huge birds nest shaped space ship on steroids. It's in an area of oldish redbrick dwellings, so it should look out of place, but it doesn't.

But then you get inside, and you find out that you need to have Alpine mountaineering experience to get to your seat, and its a whole other story altogether. I think its hysterical that when you are buying tix for games there on the Ticket Bastard website, you get warning not to buy the tix if you suffer from vertigo. :D

Ugliest buildings in Dublin BY FAR are the monstrosities on the Civic Offices on Wood Quay. What an utter abomination, not just for their extreme ugliness, but for their being plonked in such a historic part of the city right beside Christchurch. Used to roll my eyes at their social butterfly architect (Sam Stephenson) always being mentioned in the gossip columns as being the architect of Wood Quay, as if it was a badge of honour or something. WTF???

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

spoofilyj wrote: »
    The Kane Building In UCC which is now a protected building and houses a Null Neuclear reactor in its basement!

Its falling down and nasty, its like an ex-Soviet Apartment block...

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/31047338.jpg

I still cannot believe how it won an award for architecture - and the flaming thing is actually built the wrong way around

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement