Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugly Irish (Completed) buildings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    Yeah, Douglas Village SC is brutal and utilitarian, destroys what was otherwise a pleasant suburban setting. I hate it, pass it nearly every day and have the same thoughts everytime. I pity quaint little K.C's chipper stuck beside such a monster, I pity Douglas, the village has lost it's soul. The planners/architects should be strung up, people actually did 3rd level education to produce this kind of retarded s***. Utterly no redeeming features not one.

Me smells a rat. Ive highlighted where.

There is something very suspicious that something like that, totally out of character for the surrounding urban landscape, got planning permission.

I grew up in Douglas. Cant bare to look at it these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre
    http://www.dublinbusstuff.com/Dun%20Laoghaire%20Dec2009/AX619%20-%20Rt%2046a%20-%20George%27s%20Street%20Dun%20Laoghaire%20-%2012_12_2009.jpg

And if I could find a non brochure picture, the Dundrum Shopping centres (new and old). The old one lasted 20/30 years and will be pulled down. The new one will do the same. Meanwhile the original village struggles on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

orourkeda wrote: »

I quite like that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Without a shadow of a doubt this thing in Phibsboro is the ugliest building I've ever seen in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Renn wrote: »

I kind of like the spire as an idea. The idea of planting it on top of where Nelsons pillar used to be was perfect. However my criticism of it would be that it wasn't built larger and with some sort of viewing gallery at the top. Even Nelsons pillar could give you a decent view of the city, whereas the spire offers nothing from a practical pov.

Imagine the draw the spire would have been had you been able to go up to the top and look around? It would have been well worth the extra investment had it been logistically possible....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/N3rhgmilRfvgc6xzICcdq3cYo1_500.jpg

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/dublin/jpgs/spire_dublin_ir4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The new Convention Centre on North Wall Quay in Dublin is an awful piece of design when you see it in the flesh.

Basically a glass tube stuck on a warehouse. It's brand new and the glass surrounds already look old and cruddy.

http://www.theccd.ie/img/contact-01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Without a shadow of a doubt this thing in Phibsboro is the ugliest building I've ever seen in Ireland.
    Crummy buildings liek that were all over the place in new jersey when I went over last month.

Agreed, but great view from the offices tho. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Limericks County Coucil Offices

As my dad says, when are they gonna take the scaffolding down?! :D:p
    Nothing wrong with that. Quite a striking building up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

bonerm wrote: »
    I kind of like the spire as an idea. The idea of planting it on top of where Nelsons pillar used to be was perfect. However my criticism of it would be that it wasn't built larger and with some sort of viewing gallery at the top. Even Nelsons pillar could give you a decent view of the city, whereas the spire offers nothing from a practical pov.

Imagine the draw the spire would have been had you been able to go up to the top and look around? It would have been well worth the extra investment had it been logistically possible....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/N3rhgmilRfvgc6xzICcdq3cYo1_500.jpg

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/dublin/jpgs/spire_dublin_ir4.jpg

Can you imagine the havok it would have caused with queues for the lift snaking around a traffic island!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

enda1 wrote: »
    This yoke.

Disgusting thing from all angles.

Not only that, you have to look at where they put it, right outside one of the most historically important buildings in the country. Anything would hev been better, a Hundertwasser Building, a small park or something, but that is a disgrace.
    http://www.google.ie/images?rlz=1T4GPEA_enIE301IE305&q=hundertwasser&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=fdsITMOSCpiT4gbfsZSCAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

All of these are in Dublin by the way.

Don't know the name or what its used for but the drab grey bulding at the bottom of Georges St near Dame street. Can't find any pics online but this building ruins imo what is actually a very nice looking street. Presumably its a government building of some sort?

I have a view from my office across the liffey toward Hawkins House and it is such a massive eye sore. It looks really dangerous too, even walking by it I'm always a bit wary that it will come tumbling down on top of me.

Liberty Hall isnt that bad I think but could do with being spruced up externally.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

I'm at work so my PC won't let me copy pictures properly, if someone else could oblige.......

To add -

- the ESB HQ - right smack bang in what had been a mile of georgian architecture.
    - the HSE offices on western road in Cork
    - Cork opera house and the tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Generally speaking, as a nation we lack sophistication & style and that is reflected in our buildings.

The nicest building around the country are mainly georgian, built by "dem across the water"

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

I always hated the look of the arts block in TCD.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahernjp/1486521112/

In my last term only one of my classes (both lectures and tutorials) was held in a room with natural light, and even in that room the light shone into the corner away from where everyone sat. I dislike the inside even more than the outside (which looks ridiculous with the wood grain and concrete design).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

i think the ugliest building in ireland is "the slab", as i call it.

located in william st in Limerick, it is nothing more than a big slab of concrete!

600edDSC_7290WilliamStSky.jpg

then theres this on the dock road!

ranks_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

LittleBook wrote: »

It's funny, I pass by it every day and rarely notice how gammy it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

dave 27 wrote: »

located in william st in Limerick, it is nothing more than a big slab of concrete!

then theres this on the dock road!

ranks_1.jpg

You beat me to it!

That building always fascinates me. I know it was orginally part of the Ranks complex so it wasn't put up as an individual structure...

You know it's a listed building now? A complete joke- it should be blown to smithereens.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

I'm quite surprised nobody mentioned Busaras yet (although that pic doesn't do how ugly it is any justice)

Also, same architect I believe, the hideous ESB offices on Fitzwilliam St. In order to build it, they had to knock down 16 Georgian houses, which beforehand (or so I've heard) was the longest row of Georgian houses in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dante

The new School of Business building in Trinity, I can't find a picture but it just looks horrible and out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

http://www.limerick.com/show/brownthomas_2.jpg

Brown Thomas on O'Connell St in Limerick, ugliest building in an ugly city.

Jeez, I've seen cheerier photos of concentration camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Caco wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised nobody mentioned Busaras yet (although that pic doesn't do how ugly it is any justice)

Also, same architect I believe, the hideous ESB offices on Fitzwilliam St. In order to build it, they had to knock down 16 Georgian houses, which beforehand (or so I've heard) was the longest row of Georgian houses in Europe

Many's the argument I've had with non-architects about Busaras - my favourite building in the country. Designed by Michael Scott as opposed to Sam Stephenson who designed the ESB offices on Fitzwilliam Street, and was also responsible for such thrillers as Dublin Corporation Offices on Wood Quay and the Central Bank.

My nomination for Ugly Irish Buildings: Every single housing estate, every one-off house and most apartment blocks built between 1996 and 2007, a decade of unprecedented destruction fueled by greed and stupidity.

krudler wrote: »
    http://www.limerick.com/show/brownthomas_2.jpg

Brown Thomas on O'Connell St in Limerick, ugliest building in an ugly city.

Agree but the current city is a result of horrendous planning decisions implemented over the past few decades. It used to be quite a decent looking city. Town planners just dont seem to get that the secret to a nice city is having buildings more or less uniform. They're still sticking in monstrocities wherever they can nowadays.

This is what the Brown Thomas building used to look like (this was after the fire admittedly)

409daf2a.jpg
    4339b43f.jpg

As you can see Limerick was a pretty nice city before it was ruined by outrageous planning decisions

CruisesHotelNLI.jpg

oconnellst40s.jpg

bonerm wrote: »
    Jeez, I've seen cheerier photos of concentration camps.

True, my friend calls it "Buggy Street" ha ha

What it used to look like...

william%20st_filtered.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

sron wrote: »
    In my last term only one of my classes (both lectures and tutorials) was held in a room with natural light, and even in that room the light shone into the corner away from where everyone sat. I dislike the inside even more than the outside (which looks ridiculous with the wood grain and concrete design).

Have they taken the carpet off the walls there yet? And do they still have the carpet seating cube yokes? Yes it is indeed even uglier on the inside than the outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Confab wrote: »
    The Telstra Exchange.

There's one in every major Australian city. They are abominations.

Use to walk past that one in Perth every day. Truely horrendous. Like a high security prison.
    Sanjuro wrote: »
    This horrible, manky eye-sore. And it gets worse the closer you get. It looks like something out of Cold War-era Russia and is deteriorating all the time. Wouldn't be sorry at all if this relic was pulled down.

I think they have planning for it to come down and be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dundrum Shopping Centre is Ugh-ly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Yuck. Disgusting, especially since the red brick buildings adjacent to it are actually quite nice (with the exception of the ground floors).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement