Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Midband with all the Limits (Voda)

Options
2»

Comments

Haddockman wrote: »
    I wish you the very best of luck trying to cancel under those circumstances.
    Thanks but it's legal because why pay for something i didn't commit to. I never committed to 10GB. I committed to paying €25 for unlimited data. Plus since the offer ends in July not everyone will have the plan and if people do most don't go over 15GB and it's vodafone. The biggest gun in the department of cell phones. Plus if they do get rid of unlimited then let me quote
    "Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) Regulations 2003 an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification."

So basically if they ditch the plan I'm allowed to leave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jamesjoyce

I think it's pretty stupid if vodafone came up with a promotions idea of unlimited plan on "3g broadband" product and then didn't expect those people who signed up to get close to decent sized lineland cap out of this service. We"ll see anyways, I'll probably sign up on Tuesday when stores reopen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks but it's legal because why pay for something i didn't commit to. I never committed to 10GB. I committed to paying €25 for unlimited data. Plus since the offer ends in July not everyone will have the plan and if people do most don't go over 15GB and it's vodafone. The biggest gun in the department of cell phones. Plus if they do get rid of unlimited then let me quote

So basically if they ditch the plan I'm allowed to leave them.
    You will end up arguing this out in front of a judge. There is no way VF will roll over and let you walk away from the contract.

Something similar happened on o2 where they changed the terms and conditions regarding them censoring certain websites. They did not allow anyone to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

even if the cap is 30GB thats fine for most users and if your a pro you already probably have a DSL/Cable installed at your house. Using 400GB is easy at home but in a car or on the go is harder because your out for some reason like holidays or conferences etc. When july 4th comes with my bill we'll see how much bandwith I used and how much money did i spend

I agree 10G or 30G or whatever cap might be fine. That's not the point. The point is they suggest they are selling an unlimited package:
    1) This is lunacy on Mobile. Would result in dialup speeds unless almost no-one has the package.
    2) Their T&C make it quite clear that THEY decide what is reasonable traffic. That is NOT unlimited.

One of the most honest Mobile providers now has the weasel T&C, that verges on downright dishonest. Obviously there IS a traffic limit, but they are refusing to call it a cap, (That is what a "cap" is, a traffic limit to prevent a user or group of users causing excess contention/congestion to the network).

The point is that if the ASAI or Comreg was proactive such a claim would be impossible. As would Imagine's redefinition of English language where "unlimited" means only time and traffic limit is 30Gbyte. Which is an oblique time limit as that is only 30min to 60min video a day and then your internet is "used up".

If they throttle down I have a right to cancel my contract as I'm paying for a service I don't want.

No you don't. Their T&C have an implied secret Cap. They can throttle or disconnect at ANY level of traffic they want.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    No you don't. Their T&C have an implied secret Cap. They can throttle or disconnect at ANY level of traffic they want.

Were not talking about secret cap. If Vodafone decides the unlimited data plan is too much and want to bring people back to 10gb they have to say this publicly as were paying 25 bucks for 20 euro deal they need to give us a 30 day heads up and the option to end our contract. Just wait for tuesday for another vodafone person to say theres no fair use limit on it.

Vodafone reserves the right to take such action as it considers reasonably necessary, including (but not limited to) suspending or terminating access to the Vodafone Unlimited Mobile Broadband service where Vodafone (as it in its sole discretion shall determine) considers that:
    such action is in the Customer's best interests;
    the Customer represents a credit risk to Vodafone;
    a Customer's use of the service is or is potentially:
    fraudulent or illegal;
    or adversely affecting the Vodafone Network or other Vodafone customers' ability to use or access other Vodafone services provided using the Vodafone Network.
    Vodafone reserves the right to control excessive data users on the Vodafone Unlimited Mobile Broadband Tariff without further notice to such Customers.
    Vodafone reserves the right to withdraw the Vodafone Unlimited Mobile Broadband Tariff generally or from any particular Customer at any time and to vary or amend any element of the Vodafone Unlimited Mobile Broadband Tariff at any time without further notice.

What part of that don't you understand? If you sign up to this, they can limit your data at any level they desire. There obviously is an implied secret cap too.
    They can put you on your old tariff without notice or do anything almost. Three times at least they say you are agreeing to having ZERO notice. "At any time" doesn't mean 30 days. ""Without further notice" doesn't mean 30 days.

They can call it "unlimited" till cows come home, They can claim there is no Fair Use limit till blue in face.
    The ONLY "unlimited" is in the name of the package.
    It's a typical "FUP" so called "Fair Use Policy" in all but name. Typical obfuscation of what the real limits are. Over two years ago this sort of contract and advertising was supposed to stop. Unfortunately it's all perfectly legal. Just misleading.

Even last August 2009 Comreg & ASAI talked about it again. And did nothing!
    http://irelandoffline.org/2009/08/a-broadband-code-of-conduct-for-ireland/

watty wrote: »
    What part of that don't you understand? If you sign up to this, they can limit your data at any level they desire. There obviously is an implied secret cap too.
    They can put you on your old tariff without notice.

I never had an old tariff. And they put you on it if you adversely affecting the Vodafone Network or control excessive data. Anyhow my contract ends in 2012 jan.

EDIT: I read and understand. Lets pray

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Were not talking about secret cap. Vodafone decides the unlimited data plan .

It's not unlimited, the minute they put in the clause of no VOIP or P2P it became retarded fraudband. Your do not have an internet connection like 99.99% of the country would consider a data plan to be, How you entered a contract until 2012 on those conditions is beyond me. They might as well have thrown in some KY Jelly with the contract because one thing is for certain your going to get jockeyed somewhere along the line.

The amount of websites that fall under P2P architecture would surprise you, I think your already using some of them and you don't even know it. P2P does not have to mean something you download to your computer, Watching a Video feed over the internet is also P2P.

It's not unlimited, the minute they put in the clause of no VOIP or P2P it became retarded fraudband. Your do not have an internet connection like 99.99% of the country would consider a data plan to be, How you entered a contract until 2012 on those conditions is beyond me. They might as well have thrown in some KY Jelly with the contract because one thing is for certain your going to get jockeyed somewhere along the line.

The amount of websites that fall under P2P architecture would surprise you, I think your already using some of them and you don't even know it. P2P does not have to mean something you download to your computer, Watching a Video feed over the internet is also P2P.
    I know what P2P is. I know what sites use it and everything. But on the road I only use iTunes rental, Megavideo, Youtube and other normal websites. I'm content to use this compared to 3s pay go version for 10gb for 25 bucks so if i get 1gb more for the same price. I'm all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

You will end up arguing this out in front of a judge. There is no way VF will roll over and let you walk away from the contract.

Something similar happened on o2 where they changed the terms and conditions regarding them censoring certain websites. They did not allow anyone to cancel.

sorry to correct you. but they did on the QT.

those who kicked up a fuss were allowed to cancel.

The auld goodwill gesture. ;)

Honda08 wrote: »
    sorry to correct you. but they did on the QT.

those who kicked up a fuss were allowed to cancel.

I'll kick up a fuss. Talk on the radio, make a big thing. The go to idea.

Bill avaliable to look at online. Not being charged atm. I even had a small audio chat convo in world of warcraft ;)

So what excatly do they classify as p2p/VOIP?

Torrents? Youtube? Skype?

So what excatly do they classify as p2p/VOIP?

Torrents? Youtube? Skype?

Skype and torrents. They can look at sites you visited and things that take up mb so skype call protocol would be like 15mb or something and a torrent would be like 350mb spreaded out to different servers within one file ;) Youtube isn't counted obviously

I take it they don't charge for downloading from file sharing sites like rapidshare and megaupload?

jamesjoyce wrote: »
    I take it they don't charge for downloading from file sharing sites like rapidshare and megaupload?

Rapidshare you upload files to their servers, same with megaupload. I did watch an episode of 24 on megavideo too. That counts like youtube

Rapidshare you upload files to their servers, same with megaupload. I did watch an episode of 24 on megavideo too. That counts like youtube

So you're saying they count rapidshare as p2p even if you only download? I thought it was just plain http file downloading maybe they classify it differently

So you're saying they count rapidshare as p2p even if you only download? I thought it was just plain http file downloading maybe they classify it differently
    No rapidshare isnt nor is megaupload. Because when you upload things there it goes to their single/multi servers or when you download you download from one place so thats not P2P

• Advertisement

No rapidshare isnt nor is megaupload. Because when you upload things there it goes to their single/multi servers or when you download you download from one place so thats not P2P

Thanks, for clearing that up

Thanks, for clearing that up

Why? are you considering it?

Why? are you considering it?

Yeah am considering getting it this week, for want my needs are I thunk it suits. Resonably priced mobile solution something I won't have to worry too much about usage wise. I think this thread has just convinced me this package is right for me.

Yeah am considering getting it this week, for want my needs are I thunk it suits. Resonably priced mobile solution something I won't have to worry too much about usage wise. I think this thread has just convinced me this package is right for me.

Same for me. I have good internet where I live. The fastest available because no fibre cable and on the go I usually text chat because in the car cause you hear other people talk and come on peer to peer on the go. :rolleyes: Get the mifi amazing. Problem is if you plug it into your computer the router switches off and turns into a single dongle but I ordered a cable without a white and green wire which is "Data wires" so when I plug it into my mac it doesn't turn off the router and just charges the device. If you don't want to buy an extra cable open the cable and cut the white and green wire off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnT_n-KD9I

Same for me. I have good internet where I live. The fastest available because no fibre cable and on the go I usually text chat because in the car cause you hear other people talk and come on peer to peer on the go. :rolleyes: Get the mifi amazing. Problem is if you plug it into your computer the router switches off and turns into a single dongle but I ordered a cable without a white and green wire which is "Data wires" so when I plug it into my mac it doesn't turn off the router and just charges the device. If you don't want to buy an extra cable open the cable and cut the white and green wire off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnT_n-KD9I

Yeah was thinking of getting a mifi point. My brother has one for his ipad and takes it round with him, works a treat. Thanks for the info about the cable didnt know that. Very helpful thread, thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Problem is if you plug it into your computer the router switches off and turns into a single dongle but I ordered a cable without a white and green wire which is "Data wires" so when I plug it into my mac it doesn't turn off the router and just charges the device

What Geek means is that the ethernet cable he has only has pins 45 and 7 and 8 wired and they carry power over ethernet to the mifi to charge it.

Pins 1 2 3 and 6 carry data , if they are sensed the device changes mode to a 'dongle' which serves one pc or xbox ONLY and if they are not sensed the wifi will support multiple users. If they are simply not there they cannot be sensed :)

You can gently peel back the cover of a 'normal' ethernet cable and snip one orange and one green wire ( or both of each colour) but not to touch brown and blue ones for this effect.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What Geek means is that the ethernet cable he has only has pins 45 and 7 and 8 wired and they carry power over ethernet to the mifi to charge it.

Pins 1 2 3 and 6 carry data , if they are sensed the device changes mode to a 'dongle' which serves one pc or xbox ONLY and if they are not sensed the wifi will support multiple users. If they are simply not there they cannot be sensed :)

You can gently peel back the cover of a normal ethernet cable and snip one orange and one green wire ( or both of each colour) but not to touch brown and blue ones for this effect.

Exactly. If they cable I ordered has them I do some D.I.Y like in the video ;) Novatel and Sierra make the best modems, Huawei give us crap ones with bad drivers. Huawei drivers aren't supported on 10.6 but Novatel and Sierras are WOB. The PowerBrick for the mifi does not have those pins which is why at home you can charge and use if this were to be your main source of internet. The micro usb cable for your laptop included is thick which is one way to sense if theres "Data" wires in them. Nice thin ones usually are just enough to power

Advertisement