Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose tea recommendations

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

...and I like it, but I only came round to it on the second try. I over-brewed it the first time, giving it four minutes which is fine for what I usually drink but it didn't do this tea any favours. Second time round I gave it about 2.5 minutes as suggested and I was impressed.

It's less astringent and has more body than other Darjeelings I've tried, and I'm reaching for it more and more. It still wouldn't be something I'd have in the morning though, it's more of an afternooner for me.

Have you tried any other teas? You got an Assam and Keemun in the sampler pack, what did you think of those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

FTGFOP wrote: »
    ...and I like it, but I only came round to it on the second try. I over-brewed it the first time, giving it four minutes which is fine for what I usually drink but it didn't do this tea any favours. Second time round I gave it about 2.5 minutes as suggested and I was impressed.

It's less astringent and has more body than other Darjeelings I've tried, and I'm reaching for it more and more. It still wouldn't be something I'd have in the morning though, it's more of an afternooner for me.

Have you tried any other teas? You got an Assam and Keemun in the sampler pack, what did you think of those?
    Glad to hear you liked the Darjeeling! I over brewed it one of the days too (about 4 mins) and it was horrible, I usually brew it for 2-2.5 mins and its lovely. I have most of the 100g bag gone already :o
    As for the Assam and the Keemun. The Assam I wasn't particularly keen on, a bit malty and brisk for me. Its gone to the back of the tea caddys :( The Keemun is different most definitely, kinda fruity but not as floral as the Darjeeling. I've had it a couple of times, so far I'm enjoying it.
    The OH is not enjoying all the tea caddys everywhere though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

tea from - kingfisher tea - is excellent - some very hard to find tea - exellent quality

terlywerly wrote: »
    The Assam I wasn't particularly keen on, a bit malty and brisk for me. Its gone to the back of the tea caddys :( [...]
    The OH is not enjoying all the tea caddys everywhere though :D

I've never met a tea that was too malty :D But I really dig maltiness. When you say it was brisk do you mean mouth-puckering/drying? I'd usually have Assams with milk, do you? I've read that the caesin in milk binds with the astringent tannins that Assams generally have in abundance. It's only really fine Assams I'd drink black, like the Mokalbari on the HoT website. Even then it would be just one cup like that not a whole pot.

I've loads of caddies too not to mention teapots. Got a few caddies from TeaGscwendner on one order, was annoyed that they didn't stack.

I've never met a tea that was too malty :D But I really dig maltiness. When you say it was brisk do you mean mouth-puckering/drying? I'd usually have Assams with milk, do you? I've read that the caesin in milk binds with the astringent tannins that Assams generally have in abundance. It's only really fine Assams I'd drink black, like the Mokalbari on the HoT website. Even then it would be just one cup like that not a whole pot.

I've loads of caddies too not to mention teapots. Got a few caddies from TeaGscwendner on one order, was annoyed that they didn't stack.
    I might try it with a bit of milk so the next time. I've been ignoring my black teas for the past week as I've not been well (:() and when I'm not feeling good I tend to reach for fruity teas, or peppermint.
    The caddies are great, when the HoT had the sale on them I couldn't resist. I really love the pink one with the hearts, I have my Blue Flower Earl Grey in it. Well, the few spoon-worth thats left. I can't believe how fast I drank it!!

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear your not well! Get well soon! At least your taking lots of fluids with the peppermint tea etc. :)

Drinking less tea myself at the moment. In the middle of moving house and most of my tea and accoutrements are still at the old place. The old place had huge mugs as well so I would just make tea once to get a decent caffeine dose but new place is normal sized mugs so I just make coffee to get the same buzz. Terrible caffeine addict, so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Charlie's Chinese place in Dublin have great loose jasmine tea for a euro a cup. It's really gorgeous, anyone know where you could buy a bag of the stuff? Next time I'm in town I'll ask if they sell it but if anyone knows in the meantime that'd be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

Charlie's Chinese place in Dublin have great loose jasmine tea for a euro a cup. It's really gorgeous, anyone know where you could buy a bag of the stuff? Next time I'm in town I'll ask if they sell it but if anyone knows in the meantime that'd be great!

Jasmine Tea is gorgeous, especially with Dim Sum. I go to the Good World on Georges st for that. Perfection. Anyway...
    You should be able to pick up in any of the Asian shops or online from this irish based tea co. www.clementandpekoe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I just had a new blend from Suki Tea the other day in Scotland called

Russian Caravan. HmmmHmmmHmmm

I couldnt even begin to tell you where to get this anywhere at the moment other than direct from their site probably.

Berty wrote: »

I couldnt even begin to tell you where to get this anywhere at the moment other than direct from their site probably.

Yes, I've had that before. You'll love the Russian Blend from Mariages Freres as well them. It is a really beautiful smoky tea. Am looking out for something similar to purchase here as its divine. I'll let you know how the search goes....

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »

Yes, I've had that before. You'll love the Russian Blend from Mariages Freres as well them. It is a really beautiful smoky tea. Am looking out for something similar to purchase here as its divine. I'll let you know how the search goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I've recently had to stop drinking coffee for a few weeks so i'm giving some teas a try.

Very pleased with both of these so far
    http://www.palaisdesthes.com/en/tea-shop/the-no25-rooibos-10920.html
    and
    http://www.palaisdesthes.com/en/tea-shop/fleur-de-geisha-976.html

Anyone try any nice new teas lately??
    I've gotten mad into the Keemun from HoT. It has really grown on me, perfect for the cold evenings!

Can't say I have, sadly. Overdue a tea stock up though! Might get a green tea or two next time. There's one that tastes like milk and caramel (just a property of the leaf, not flavoured) that I'd like to try. It was on HoT.

Keemun's only a rare cup for me, like Darjeeling used to be (drinking more since your recommendation a while back :) ) Drinking less tea generally with the last couple of months, substituting for coffee:o I'll have to knock that on the head though, or else I'll have to change my username! :pac:

Can't say I have, sadly. Overdue a tea stock up though! Might get a green tea or two next time. There's one that tastes like milk and caramel (just a property of the leaf, not flavoured) that I'd like to try. It was on HoT.
    Do you know what it's called? That sounds nice :D
    Keemun's only a rare cup for me, like Darjeeling used to be (drinking more since your recommendation a while back :) ) Drinking less tea generally with the last couple of months, substituting for coffee:o I'll have to knock that on the head though, or else I'll have to change my username! :pac:
    I much prefer tea in the winter time, especially with all the snow lately :eek:

Nai xiang mao feng :)
    terlywerly wrote: »
    I much prefer tea in the winter time, especially with all the snow lately :eek:

:hangs head in shame:

Advertisement