Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose tea recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Daffs wrote: »
    Any suggestions on where to purchase a teapot suitable for loose tea. With a infuser part, preferably that you can remove that has a tray to set aside. Any one?

@ 6.99 ya can't go wrong
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_13447.htm

great range and top quality from

http://www.teagschwendner.com/DE/en/HomePage.TG

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

Thanks so much for all the suggestions (apologies for the time lag since asking the question...long story).
    Those all look great & that Aldi one defo looks like a bargain.
    But I am trying to find one, that I saw but cant find to buy since.
    It was china with an infuser and a dinky infuser holder so that you could take out when brewed to strength you like & then reuse when topping up. Hope that makes sense.
    I like some of my teas quite weak so can get a few infusions for the same small amount which is why the infuser basket & holder was brilliant.
    And Yes to have at my desk (which is at home) so no need to transport too far!!
    Anyone else seen anything that fits my fussiness??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Daffs wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions (apologies for the time lag since asking the question...long story).
    Those all look great & that Aldi one defo looks like a bargain.
    But I am trying to find one, that I saw but cant find to buy since.
    It was china with an infuser and a dinky infuser holder so that you could take out when brewed to strength you like & then reuse when topping up. Hope that makes sense.
    I like some of my teas quite weak so can get a few infusions for the same small amount which is why the infuser basket & holder was brilliant.
    And Yes to have at my desk (which is at home) so no need to transport too far!!
    Anyone else seen anything that fits my fussiness??
    I have a wee Bodum one which I love!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Something like these?
    31HWFRZSYHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg31ZMsGamM5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    (Click to go to their respective Amazon pages)

The first one wasn't available for shipping to Ireland from that particular seller, so some rooting around might be required to find a seller willing to ship to Ireland. I didn't check for the second one. TeaGshwendner has these, you could just use them with the teapots you have already. TeaGschwendner has a flat shipping fee of 15 euro to Ireland.

I'd just buy two teapots! One for brewing, one for serving. There's more room for the leaves to unfurl when you don't use an infuser.

• Advertisement

siochain wrote: »
    great range and top quality from teagschwendner

Have you ordered from them Siochain? What teas did you get? Like them?

I've ordered from there a few times, usually a hefty amounts to take advantage of the flat shipping. This last time got a load of different Assams, having fun trying them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

Just want to say, Thanks a mill for all the suggestions on my quest for a teapot. I have ended up getting an infuser separately that fits perfectly into one of my favorite teapots (vv old!) so am happy for the moment.
    Will keep an eye out for what one with the infuser holder too and keep you posted.

I am currently enjoying Assam in the morning & then a very tasty Darjeeling when I have something sweet in the afternoon....heaven!!

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Have you ordered from them Siochain? What teas did you get? Like them?

I've ordered from there a few times, usually a hefty amounts to take advantage of the flat shipping. This last time got a load of different Assams, having fun trying them all.

Tried a few over the last few years, Japan Sencha is the one I stick too, love the stuff. Usually order enough to do few months at a time.

I branched out a bit last time I ordered and got some Gyokuro. Weird stuff! Tastes like chicken broth and dried cherries. Seriously!

Did you ever try it?

It's supposed to have way more theanine than most tea due to the way it's grown, knowing this I expected more 'umami' but in a more vegetal way. Like a really intense tomato/mushroom/msg zing ...or something. Wasn't expecting outright meatiness.

I made it again for the first time in while last night and I only got the advertised honeydew melon notes on the first couple of sips. Might try a shorter infusion or weaker infusion next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im going to plug Suki Tea. There are a number of places around the country you can buy it retail(from cafes) but then again they have put their margin on it as well so you may as well buy from source.

Buy it online. E-mail them and ask them about the sample pack so you can try a few different types.

http://www.suki-tea.com/opencontent/default.asp?itemid=1&guid=032B6F3F-A7D7-435B-8A4C-FB0612DA6779

Their tea pots truly are the business. They look great. I have the glass one myself and its very theatrical when serving it to friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Another very nice range of teapots is the Chacult ones.They do lovely little tea for one sets,with a saucer and a cup and teapot that nestle in each other.I got mine in G's in Ennis.A great café for anyone in the area btw!I love brewing and enjoying my 'fancy teas' in it.:D

Here's a pic.http://static.letsbuyit.com/filer/images/de/products/original/40/31/cha-cult-tea-for-one-jolanda_4031660-4031660.jpg

I got a variety pack of flavoured teas in Palais du Thé in Dublin.Same as other people who have posted here,I'd highly recommend it.I have to admit though,I'm not a fan of rooibos,though their flavoured green teas are very nice.

Ok I'm gonna be in Dublin next Monday so I will be stopping into a few tea related places. Anyone wanna recommend something nice in terms of maybe a green tea and a black tea that I can try out? I was thinking of getting a variety pack in the House of Tea maybe

If you like Assams try the Mokalbari. Even if you don't like Assams try it anyway! It goes well with milk but it's not like overly-astringent cheaper Assams where it needs milk. It's delicious however you take it.

Try the black tea sampler or else pick up a Darjeeling and a Keemun as well as the Assam so you get an idea of the spectrum of black tea. Those three will be very different from each other.

As for green tea, somebody else might give better recommendations but If I was going to try a green tea myself I'd go with Japanese Sencha. I had that years ago and liked it more than I thought I would.

I think maybe I'll get the black tea sampler this time and then judging on how that goes, maybe do an online order. I think I'll pick up the Sencha as well, I think I may like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

If you do go to Palais des Thés,try picking up either the Geisha tea, a green tea with cherry blossom in it,or Thé des Alizés,which has peach and watermelon and is light and fruity.Yum!:)

terlywerly wrote: »
    I think maybe I'll get the black tea sample...

Were you up yesterday or is it Monday next you're going up? Let us know what you think of what you pick up anyway!

Were you up yesterday or is it Monday next you're going up? Let us know what you think of what you pick up anyway!
    Next Monday, and I'll be away for a week so it'll be the following week again before I get to taste them! Really excited though, I'll have a whole range of teas in front of me, I'll be like a child in a sweet shop :D

Well I'm back and I didn't come empty handed. I ended up getting the Geisha tea in PdT and the black tea sampler and the Sencha in HoT. So far I've only tried one tea from the sampler, the Darjeeling Steinthal and it was lovely, really light and fresh and perfect this morning for my hungover head :D
    Am going to try one of the others maybe later

Cool. Rarely drink Darjeeling myself, but now and again it's perfection.

Any other reviews? :)

Cool. Rarely drink Darjeeling myself, but now and again it's perfection.

Any other reviews? :)
    No not yet lol I'm hooked on this Darjeeling I keep going back to it all week!! :D I'll definintely be investing in a bigger bag of it when I'm finished the one from the sampler.
    I think I'm gonna try the Nilgiri next, anyone tried it?

• Advertisement

Just looked up the Steinthal, I've probably never had such a high grade of Darjeeling. I might order some next time since you like it so much! Other Darjeelings I've tried are usually overly floral/rosey for me to want to drink more than the occasional cup.

Never had Nilgiri before.

Just looked up the Steinthal, I've probably never had such a high grade of Darjeeling. I might order some next time since you like it so much! Other Darjeelings I've tried are usually overly floral/rosey for me to want to drink more than the occasional cup.
    The Darjeeling is pretty fantastic alright, I definitely know why they call it the Champagne of Teas! Such a lovely, light tea, really really nice. And yeah it was a very high grade (you would know it from tasting it!) but well worth it.

I had the Niligiri after dinner there and it was really nice. Darker colour than the Darjeeling and a more aromatic tea in my opinion. Very flavourful. I'd definitely enjoy it again!

I've ordered some of that Darjeeling given how highly you spoke of it, we'll see if it makes me a regular darjeeling drinker!

Have you tried the Keemun or Assam you got yet?

I've ordered some of that Darjeeling given how highly you spoke of it, we'll see if it makes me a regular darjeeling drinker!

Have you tried the Keemun or Assam you got yet?
    No, not yet. I think the Assam is the one I'll be trying next, even though I'm looking forward to trying all the others too. That black tea sampler has given me tea overload :D
    And you'll love the Darjeeling, my mini sampler is nearly gone :(

Are you a bit wired? :)

Are you a bit wired? :)
    Nonsense, tea is a lovely, calming drink... and when you have about 5 cups of it in a row its TOTALLY normal :D
    It's gonna be an expensive habit though, you'd buy a bottle of wine for less!

I can justify pretty much any expense by comparing it to boozy weekend night out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

A recommendation, and a question of supply...

Single most delicious tea ever - Ladurée's Marie Antoinette tea (a bit more like a tissane, than a tea) - highly recommended.

Does anyone know if the Ladurée counter in BT stocks this?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

A recommendation, and a question of supply...

Single most delicious tea ever - Ladurée's Marie Antoinette tea (a bit more like a tissane, than a tea) - highly recommended.

Does anyone know if the Ladurée counter in BT stocks this?
    YES! They do! Laduree's loose leaf teas are amazingly good. But BT's didnt have their almond tea last time I was in unfortunately...I'll have to go to paris to pick some more of that up *le sigh*

Fallon and byrne also have a nice tea selection. And given the fact that Autumn is coming up, I'd reccomend something like a black leaf tea with cinnamon and spice and all kindsa stuff :)

• Advertisement

Well I went buying on HoT again... can't help myself lol
    I ordered a 100g bag of the fantastically fantastic Darjeeling Steinthal :D, a bag of Earl Grey Blue Flowers (which is sooooo nice as well) and a bag of caramel Rooibos (really amazing smell from the bag before I even made the tea, and really nice to taste, if a bit sweet)
    Also ordered 2 new tins (Elephant one and Hearts one as they were 30% off :) as if I needed the excuse)
    FTGFOP have you tried the Darjeeling yet?

Advertisement