Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivor Callely Expenses

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Seems FF's new strategy is to remove these people from the party to save the party while the **** flies and we'll have to wait and see but past incidences have shown that once the media fire dies down, these people quietly come back to FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

gambiaman wrote: »
    Get the tissues out, Ivor wants you to pity him:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/callely-my-emotional-crisis-after-poll-defeat-2209795.html?from=dailynews

And a footnote to this story:

"Yesterday, independent TD Jackie Healy-Rae revealed that he "regularly" shared the driving with another member of the Oireachtas when he was coming from Kerry, but he refused to say whether or not they both claimed mileage. "

Yep and it appears the bould jackie has been billing for €72 train tickets even though they can sometimes be gotten for €10 and as he is a 69 year old he is entitled to free travel pass.

He wanted to know why it was any of the Independents business.
    Maybe it is in the public interest jackie.
    Of course the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and there was incident where young healy rae journed courtesy of Kerry Co Co upto to Humbert summer school in Killala, Co. Mayo where he promptly signed in and seemingly disappeared.

BTW the same healy rae senior has been known to drag out an ould beat up banger come election time and puts the merc in the garage.
    I hope the folks in South Kerry remember all these little expenses (and those of that other cretin o'donoghue) at next election but I doubt it.
    thebman wrote: »
    Seems FF's new strategy is to remove these people from the party to save the party while the **** flies and we'll have to wait and see but past incidences have shown that once the media fire dies down, these people quietly come back to FF.

Ehh except these are not TDs but senators, so it has no affect on Dáil majority.
    Remember how they defended o'donoghue and o'dea. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Cute-hoorism at it's best!

"Why don't you go after Ivor Callely and the Dublin fellahs? Look, I have something else to do.

"In actual fact, I'm very busy. That's all I'm going to say to you -- and good luck."

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh except these are not TDs but senators, so it has no affect on Dáil majority.
    Remember how they defended o'donoghue and o'dea. :rolleyes:

They aren't senators but they are starting to worry about the party image being associated with these types.

Yet I imagine they still want to keep them in the party so expect them to try to do it on the sly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They aren't senators but they are starting to worry about the party image being associated with these types.

Yet I imagine they still want to keep them in the party so expect them to try to do it on the sly.
    Yep, it all about distancing themselves when the going ain't so good but when it is so, they're all the best of mates (and back into the fold).

Sorry, some of us are not that stupid and remember...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

All I read was that he had "resigned the party whip".

Am I wrong in thinking that that is different to "resigning from the party" ?
    Yep, it all about distancing themselves when the going ain't so good but when it is so, they're all the best of mates (and back into the fold).

Depends. They can choose to distance themselves from those in the Seanad because it doesn't affect their slim majority. But it's a different story when it's O'Dea or O'Donoghue, because their fingernails are desperately hanging on to the blackboard of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

So is he going to face prosecution and have to pay the money back?

and if not...why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Jaysoose wrote: »

and if not...why not?

He will ride it out for all its worth, being of the brass neck brigade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

He will ride it out for all its worth, being of the brass neck brigade!

Lots of criminals and con-men are "of the brass neck brigade", but that doesn't stop them being chased or being held accountable when they step out of line.

and if not...why not?

because he is a politician and they make the rules they have to follow in this country and the electorate don't ask questions as long as they get the pot holes filled or vote for someone because their parents did.

As long as that continues we are doomed to this stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Lots of criminals and con-men are "of the brass neck brigade", but that doesn't stop them being chased or being held accountable when they step out of line.

Hope he is held accountable, but given recent history, I won't hold my breath!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

and if not...why not?

Prosecution? VERY doubtful.
    Payback? I can only repeat an earlier posting I made:
    I suspect that some might be afraid to stick their head above the rest and call for such a payment - such a call from them might leave them open to attention brought upon themselves and when we're dealing with the media and the public, it might not be in a light either that could be beneficial to the person doing the calling either.

Those that wish to put themselves into the public eye, will only do so when their's is a win/win situation - not a win/lose one.
    FF sure won't call for him to repay it back - sure they didn't call the many of their own previous to do so.
    It would set a bad precedent for them and would be shooting themselves in the foot.
    A lot of the opposition might not call for repayments back unless they that so do themselves are absolutely clear and clean of same abuses, to all degrees of possible claims, big or small.
    The safest route for most of them will be to join in with the general opinions but any more than that, keep their mouth shut for possibly the above reason!

He might end up somehow with an exiting payoff, perhaps a nice job somewhere less soon when the "noise" has died down and the spotlight is off him, and a nice pension to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Scien wrote: »
    Poor Ivor can't stall any longer. Public hearing today.

Does anyone think this will set precedence for more heads to go on the block?
    Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone had a snoop at that chancer Healy-Raes receipts. If I remember correctly his expenses were in the region of €92k last year. The SINDO went after him there recently asking him why he was claiming €72 train receipts when as an OAP he is entitled to free travel. He basically told them to get stuffed.

Poor Ivor, i hope having 20 plus rental properties around the northside of dublin will be enough to subsidise his lifestyle after he latest attemtps to screw the state have been exposed.
    more worringly, the max censure he can receive today is a 1 month suspension from the Seanad, i doubt he'd even be docked wages!

Healy-Rae and o'Donghue will both, no doubt, be re-elected by the good folk of Kerry in the next election just like the good folk of Tipperary and Mayo have been re-electing Lowry and Flynn for years despite the numerous blemishes on their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

If the committee decide to make an example of him and “throw the book at him” by imposing the maximum punishment allowed, which is suspension from the Seanad (a bloody joke) Will his Senators pay be adjusted accordiangly?

Or will he just get paid to take a month off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Its not in front of senators the man should be, but a judge and jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

So in hindsight he would have done it differently (an admission that he can see it was wrong) but he won't pay anything back until someone else tells him he was wrong! Why does he have to wait for judgement? Listening to his incoherent babbling just reminded me of Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

What all of these tossers are at is nothing short of white collar crime!It is so widespread in irish politics from local level right up to the to that we have just lost the will to care anymore....we are just here to pick up the bill.

Advertisement