Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

combined DTT signal with satellite signal in one cable

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    As the title suggests I'm trying to work out what equipment I would need to combine both a DTT signal along with a satellite signal in one cable where space is limited.
    Would I need a stacker destacker
    or
    would a inexpensive uhf / satellite combiner work
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think Stacker/destackers are for running the dual feed required by a Sky+ or SkyHD for full functionality over a single cable when it is not possible to run a second LNB cable to a given location. So its definately not that that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mobil wrote: »
    Hi,
    As the title suggests I'm trying to work out what equipment I would need to combine both a DTT signal along with a satellite signal in one cable where space is limited.
    Would I need a stacker destacker
    or
    would a inexpensive uhf / satellite combiner work
    Thanks

An inexpensive uhf / satellite combiner will work for a single LNB feed and aerial feed. Plenty of posts here on combiners and diplexers, do a search.

http://tvtrade.ie/show/252,Sat-and-TV-indoor-combiner-Triax
    http://tvtrade.ie/show/250,Wall-Plate-Sat-TV-outlet--Wolsey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Satellite_UHF_combiner.html

bought two of thse two weeks ago to do exactly what you want, they worked perfectly for me

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

multi-switches are a fancier form of these where a quad or quattro LNB feed can be combined with a terrestrial feed and then distributed to 4/8/12/16 outputs.

Diplexors or socket-forms of same are fitted at the ends to split the signals again. Very handy to distribute satellite/UHF to multiple rooms in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I use the simple diplexer/combiner yoke for each end and works great, about 7 euro each end it cost me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mobil

Thanks Folks,
    Goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    I thought that existing irish tv service uses an analogue signal and that therefore a uhf / satellite combiner would work ok, but that the Irish DTT service is an digital signal and I know that you can't put two satellite digital signals down one cable without using a stacker destacker or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

mobil wrote: »
    Thanks Folks,
    Goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    I thought that existing irish tv service uses an analogue signal and that therefore a uhf / satellite combiner would work ok, but that the Irish DTT service is an digital signal and I know that you can't put two satellite digital signals down one cable without using a stacker destacker or something similar.
    The DTT signal is not a satellite service. It's terrestrial - on UHF! Doesn't matter that it's digital - the UHF/satellite combiner won't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

fat-tony wrote: »
    Doesn't matter that it's digital - the UHF/satellite combiner won't mind.

Yep they dont discriminate :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Tony wrote: »
    Yep they dont discriminate :)

hey guys, sorry about this but can you just clarify for my situation. I have a tv with in build tuner. I can pick up Irish digital but want to get the fta channels also. can I use one of the above combiners to run the DTT signal and Sat signal on the one cable? I can then plug this cable into the tv and it will discriminate the different signals? I dont need a FTA box cause it is built into the TV right??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

cuculainn wrote: »
    hey guys, sorry about this but can you just clarify for my situation. I have a tv with in build tuner. I can pick up Irish digital but want to get the fta channels also. can I use one of the above combiners to run the DTT signal and Sat signal on the one cable? I can then plug this cable into the tv and it will discriminate the different signals? I dont need a FTA box cause it is built into the TV right??

Has your tv got build in freesat or build in freeview?

If its build in freeview then it will not receive any satellite channels...its for the English terrestrial system in England which doesnt work here unless your on perhaps the east coast and can pick a signal from an English transmittor..

Freesat is exactly as the name suggests free channels from sat..

• Advertisement

hi steveon,

you are dead right, it is a freeview tuner..... so basically I need a combiner so I can bring the two signals on one lead and then another combiner (splitter??) to split signal at tv/sat reciever??
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

hi steveon,

you are dead right, it is a freeview tuner..... so basically I need a combiner so I can bring the two signals on one lead and then another combiner (splitter??) to split signal at tv/sat reciever??
    Thanks for your help

if you can get the signal from the uk then fine.

if its a freeview (mpeg2) it wont decode the rte signal (mpeg4) although you will get the sound.

you should verify this before getting combiners etc.

John mac wrote: »
    if you can get the signal from the uk then fine.

if its a freeview (mpeg2) it wont decode the rte signal (mpeg4) although you will get the sound.

you should verify this before getting combiners etc.

Hey the freeview is mpeg4 as i am getting the irish digital from cairn hill.

Just want to bring the uk stations quality up to the digital quality. hence using the FTA sat. I just want to know can i use a combiner to run the signal from the freesat and digital aerial on the one cable and then split them again or do I have to run two cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think you may be a bit mixed up about what exactly you have. If you have only a Freeview tuner in your tv, then, unless you live on the east coast, you will not receive any stations. The Freeview signal is mpeg2 and NOT mpeg4. What is the make & model of your tv?

I think you may be a bit mixed up about what exactly you have. If you have only a Freeview tuner in your tv, then, unless you live on the east coast, you will not receive any stations. The Freeview signal is mpeg2 and NOT mpeg4. What is the make & model of your tv?

Hi Kristopherus, not mixed up at all:). using the freeview tuner to recieve irish digital reception via uhf aerial (it is a mpeg4 tuner)

My question is can I combine the signal from the UHF aerial with the signal from a sat dish and then split them again. this would mean I would not have to run two cables to the tv as I would combine the signals from the two sources in the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Hi Kristopherus, not mixed up at all:). using the freeview tuner to recieve irish digital reception via uhf aerial (it is a mpeg4 tuner)

My question is can I combine the signal from the UHF aerial with the signal from a sat dish and then split them again. this would mean I would not have to run two cables to the tv as I would combine the signals from the two sources in the attic

YES You can. see here

The links in that referenced post are broken on the tv trade site. It can be done though using a pair of diplexers/combiners

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yes you can, all you need is an inexpensive combiner which merges both Satellite and Terrestrial signals into one cable (say for instance in the attic) and splits them again at the tv point, this is very handy for where only a single cable was ran in the conduit by a lazy cheapo electrician.

you need two one to join and another split.

You can get them from Satellite.ie here, i've bought a few things before from them and can only say good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

B & Q sell them but they are an astronomical €16 each.!!!!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yes you can, all you need is an inexpensive combiner which merges both Satellite and Terrestrial signals into one cable (say for instance in the attic) and splits them again at the tv point, this is very handy for where only a single cable was ran in the conduit by a lazy cheapo electrician.

you need two one to join and another split.

You can get them from Satellite.ie here, i've bought a few things before from them and can only say good things about them.

Hey thanks for the replies and help..........BTW Its an old house so I'd say the lazy cheapo electrian was my father....No such thing as satellite when he was installing:D

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for the replies and help..........BTW Its an old house so I'd say the lazy cheapo electrian was my father....No such thing as satellite when he was installing:D

Well sorry about the comment :(, however I have seen only a single cable ran in some celtic tiger era houses and it is really bad practice! My own house like your own was built years ago and my uncle wired the house and an electrician certified it afterwards! (late 1970's).

We had most of the wiring rewired and certified last year when the attic was converted to storage and made ready for bedroom attic conversion if it is ever done. I took opportunity to run Tx-100 and Cat5 cables all over the house allowing for good, DTT, Satellite and Network connectivity. If I had known about saorsat then I could have ran extra cable.... bugger!

Well sorry about the comment :(, however I have seen only a single cable ran in some celtic tiger era houses and it is really bad practice! My own house like your own was built years ago and my uncle wired the house and an electrician certified it afterwards! (late 1970's).

We had most of the wiring rewired and certified last year when the attic was converted to storage and made ready for bedroom attic conversion if it is ever done. I took opportunity to run Tx-100 and Cat5 cables all over the house allowing for good, DTT, Satellite and Network connectivity. If I had known about saorsat then I could have ran extra cable.... bugger!

No bother thanks for your help. I am actually building my own house at the moment and planning on running a sh*t load of cables like you have above. One thing you might know, does the distance the cable is ran make much of a difference to the signal strength/quality? I plan on putting dishes on the shed for ease of access not on the house, so the distance will be longer, will it make much difference?

If I had known about saorsat then I could have ran extra cable.... bugger!

That may not be that much of a problem as you could use an external diseq switch when the time comes

, so the distance will be longer, will it make much difference?

As long as you use good quality cable like Tx100 mentioned above distance should not be an issue.

As long as you use good quality cable like Tx100 mentioned above distance should not be an issue.

As tony says use good quality cable like TX100 which is shielded and distance won't bother you. However if it was a really long distance over 50 to 60 metres you could be in trouble, but as you are shed mounting this probably is well within the limit.

If you used RG6 on a long run like that you may have no signal inside in the house or else you picture on the receiver would be pixelated. Another cable is WF125, which is thicker and gives even less loss and is more suited to very long runs. However I have never used it so don't know if it offers any of the advantages it claims to. Tony do you know anything about WF125?

. Tony do you know anything about WF125?

Yes we use this on long runs in office blocks etc, probably over kill for domestic use unless you live in a mansion :)

Yes we use this on long runs in office blocks etc, probably over kill for domestic use unless you live in a mansion :)

Exactly as I thought, the one time I saw it; it was being used for a Satellite Internet feed in a warehouse. More Industrial use stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's nice though. The WF125 I have used is rated for outdoor and direct bury. Serious sheath. Make nice Cable TV trunk too. Or very very long aerial cables

You need of course the appropriate crimp connectors and tool.

I'm experimenting with using it instead of RG213 (yes I know 75 vs 50, but some aerials are closer to 70 Ohm than 50 Ohm) on 430MHz. Allegedly lower loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tony do you know anything about WF125?

I used CT125 the first time I installed a satellite dish at home many years ago, as Tony said it is overkill for a standard domestic installation. Because the cable is larger in diameter it can be more difficult route for a domestic situation.

Ever since I use CT100 type co-ax, much more user friendly to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

Hmm, I presume this device is no ordinary F-connector splitter, I cant see many TV tuners being too happy at accepting 18V DC LNB power from a satellite reciever, nor can I see the sat reciever being too happy happy suppling the load of the tv tuner and LNB unit, for that matter I cant see the LNB amps being too happy in the voltage drop caused by the tv tuner....

I am not sure how favourable this setup would be to age... especially with some of those lovely cheap fermica psu capacitors..

Advertisement