Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen: 493, Caught: 493

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I finally completed my Heart Gold Pokédex today! :D I'm so pleased because it's the first time I've ever managed to do it in any version. Even though I tried before in all the other generations, I just didn't have access to some of the rarer event Pokémon (like Arceus, thanks Buzz!).

Collecting has always been my favourite aspect of Pokémon, there's something about watching my pc boxes slowly fill up, and my Pokédex total rise, that brings out the obsessive-compulsive in me..

So has anyone else filled their dex, or is anyone else trying to?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well done! That's quite the achievement!

Nearly got it myself in Sapphire. Was 3 away from the full dex. All I needed was Golem, Lileep and something else. Was trading a Graveller over from Emerald and what happened? Sapphire decided to update to the national dex :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I don't think I'd have that much time to be able to try fill it up all the way. My copy of Diamond with two hundred something (maybe even three hundred something?) is enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭El Nick

elekid wrote: »
    I finally completed my Heart Gold Pokédex today! :D

Well done you! I've been aiming for the same thing, also with Heart Gold and paused in my efforts while I was putting a team together in case I ended up playing at the VGC. Back to the project now... I'm at 293 right now. Long way to go, but it's encouraging to see that other people can ackshewally do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

its one of the things im doing on diamond at the moment. However, the biggest thing i hate about the game, is that not all pokemon are obtainable with going to events. I think the special pokemon should be released as wifi events, so people can actually get them without traveling (how many kids will convince their parents to bring them to another country for a pokemon). Shinys of these should be released at actual events.

So in order to complete the dex, you have to cheat, not a great lesson for kids in my book. Im gonna have to cheat, but im only gonna get the ones that i cant get in any of my games, but if its catchable, ill hunt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Well done elekid! I've filled the 'dex in Pearl and Platnium, I'll do it evetually in Heart Gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Does anything... happen? I remember back in Gen 1 some guy said to come see him when the dex was filled. What do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I've only done it in blue...well 150

Silver was like 239 I think...sapphire 340ish.

Pearl was where I basically gave up :L still yet to beat the league...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

In HG I've seen 331 and caught 223.
    I've always been more about being a powerful trainer and crushing everything in my path rather than collecting but I would like to catch 'em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

I did it in Pearl and have one of each Pokemon tucked away in Ranch. In order to do that I relied on Pokemon Colosseum, XD, Emerald and Leaf Green. I have 426 in Soul Silver so far but I'm trying to get up to the highest paths in the Pokewalker and catch some of the missing ones that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

A Neurotic wrote:
    Does anything... happen?

If you go to the Game Freak building in Celadon city after completing the Johtodex or National Dex, a guy there will show you a certificate proving that you did it. Wow... Back in the day I thought completing the Pokédex in Red and Blue might unlock Mew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

wobbles wrote: »
    its one of the things im doing on diamond at the moment. However, the biggest thing i hate about the game, is that not all pokemon are obtainable with going to events. I think the special pokemon should be released as wifi events, so people can actually get them without traveling (how many kids will convince their parents to bring them to another country for a pokemon). Shinys of these should be released at actual events.

So in order to complete the dex, you have to cheat, not a great lesson for kids in my book. Im gonna have to cheat, but im only gonna get the ones that i cant get in any of my games, but if its catchable, ill hunt for it.

I agree I've had to use cheat for the pokemon I couldn't catch or get through trade. And hate that but how else are some of us to fill the dex? :(

I agree I've had to use cheat for the pokemon I couldn't catch or get through trade. And hate that but how else are some of us to fill the dex? :(

It is frustrating, there's an exclusiveness there that kind of goes against "Gotta catch 'em all". If you can at all you should come along to one of the Pokémon forum meets. Trading at those was the only way I was able to do fill my dex in the end and I'd be happy to help others out in future too.

After a bit more work I now have a complete living Pokédex. A huge waste of time of course, but very satisfying :)

After a bit more work I now have a complete living Pokédex. A huge waste of time of course, but very satisfying :)
    Make a list and I'll get onto getting legit rare legendaries, as usual they are free if you don't mind clones.

If you want an extra challenge try for a Shiny legit with no clones Living Pokédex.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If you want an extra challenge try for a Shiny legit with no clones Living Pokédex.....

...........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Make a list and I'll get onto getting legit rare legendaries, as usual they are free if you don't mind clones.

Are clones seen as legit and do the IV's stay the same?

If you mean me specifically, I've already done it thanks to you! The Arceus you gave me was the final Pokémon I needed to complete my dex :)
    ...........:eek:

Seconded! The regular living dex was enough work without trying a shiny one! :eek:

Here's a quick video I made of it if anyone's interested:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

If you go to the Game Freak building in Celadon city after completing the Johtodex or National Dex, a guy there will show you a certificate proving that you did it. Wow... Back in the day I thought completing the Pokédex in Red and Blue might unlock Mew!

Omg same! I was about 9 at the time and was expecting to get some really rare pokemon that I'd never seen before. Instead I got an in-game certificate.. livid was not the word! :D

Are clones just the save file with the pokemon copied a couple of times.

I sappose its a moral thing really. While i would generate a pokemon to get the dex entry, id never use it unless i could get accurate stats etc for it. A cloned one would be different as it still is legit in my books, just a copy of it

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

493, wow, how many hours did you rack up?

I got 150 in Red, and 151 in Yellow, fairly recently. My friends and I dug out the old Game Boys, link cables and all, it was awesome! I got 151 in just over 44 hours. It nearly took me that long just to beat the Elite Four Diamond, there was so much in it!

Don't think I'll ever go for the 493, but my friend is somewhere around 350 at the minute and he's done over 150 hours so far! I'm curious to see how long it's taken other people!

My game time is 208 hours, but some of that time would have been spent EV training my VGC team and earning battle points in the Battle Frontier for them. I have access to most of the Gen 3 and 4 games, which made it go a lot faster than it might have otherwise.

Was it weird playing Red and Yellow? I can't imagine they've aged too well so I'd be hesitant to go back in case I ruined the good memories I have of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

That's a pretty good time!

It was just Yellow I played recently, but I hadn't played a Pokémon game properly in a while before it. I ended up playing Diamond after it, and it was just so much different. I went back for a bit after and it was difficult enough. The thing I missed the most were the running shoes and select button assignment. The game's just so slow without them!

Definitely dig out R/B/Y again. They're timeless classics that will never age (IMO). Each city will bring back lots of memories. Yes they are slow at times, but that's only because we've been accustomed to running shoes! Once you get the bike you'll be fine :D I still play them from time to time and love them as much as I did back in the day, if not more!

I wouldnt mind a couple of these clones myself, as long as they were clones of legits, and not hacks. Where would one come arcoss such clones......

CianRyan wrote: »
    Are clones seen as legit and do the IV's stay the same?
    As long as the original is legit, then the clones are legit. Everything about the original 'mon stays the same. I don't use the editing stuff to edit Pokémon, just to clone (if that makes sense)
    DKZ wrote: »
    Omg same! I was about 9 at the time and was expecting to get some really rare pokemon that I'd never seen before. Instead I got an in-game certificate.. livid was not the word! :D
    In the Japanese Green you did get Mew from the Game Freak Director, but that was dropped in later versions. These days you still get the Certificate AND a star on your trainer Card.
    Are clones just the save file with the pokemon copied a couple of times.
    Pretty much
    I sappose its a moral thing really. While i would generate a pokemon to get the dex entry, id never use it unless i could get accurate stats etc for it. A cloned one would be different as it still is legit in my books, just a copy of it
    In the "Big Boys" trading Forums cloning is a given thing, everything is cloned, some Training Threads have "hired" Cloners who clone for the Thread owner and get "paid" with being allowed to keep at least one clone for themselves. It's confusing to follow, but that's how it works
    I wouldnt mind a couple of these clones myself, as long as they were clones of legits, and not hacks. Where would one come arcoss such clones......
    I legit check EVERYTHING, twice and some times three times. I will never knowingly give out a hacked Pokémon. I am anti-hack. I'm not really pro-cloning, but I am for sharing of rare event or shiny Pokémon. There are some Pokémon I will not clone (such as my Seviper Dark-Fang) but most things I will if required.

If you wanted clones either come to a Pokémeet and see what I have on the day or make some arrangement on Wi-Fi. All I ask is that if you come across an rare, event or shiny Pokémon I don't have that you will let me have a clone for myself. Sound fair?

Sounds very fair to me. Ill see what shinys i have. Gonna try this cloning malarky for myself and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It is frustrating, there's an exclusiveness there that kind of goes against "Gotta catch 'em all". If you can at all you should come along to one of the Pokémon forum meets. Trading at those was the only way I was able to do fill my dex in the end and I'd be happy to help others out in future too.

Heh, I might some time.
    I currnetly had my heartgold & pearl stolen from me though. :(
    So, starting again on platnum and in a few weeks I want to get heartgold again... ..><
    but, ya, anyways...I should..though I'd be fairly nervous about going :o

but, ya, anyways...I should..though I'd be fairly nervous about going :o
    What do you have to be nervous about? We're all nice people, very friendly and welcoming to all. Don't be scared of us, none of us have PRESSURE ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you clone through a SAV editor, is there not a risk that some hex number or other (secret ID maybe?) for the 'mon will not match up correctly and the clone would then fail a legit check?
    Or is that only if you change any information (eg the name or original trainer ID)?

Banjo wrote: »
    If you clone through a SAV editor, is there not a risk that some hex number or other (secret ID maybe?) for the 'mon will not match up correctly and the clone would then fail a legit check?
    Or is that only if you change any information (eg the name or original trainer ID)?
    It seems to be if you change shinyness, IVs, Ability Class, Gender that the special PID number would not match up to the those and then it would fail Legit Check. I dunno about Nintendo's one, but that's how the fan one works (and that's correct 99 times out of 100).

As I have people's attention here I'm going to drop a little tidbit. I heard there will be a Pokémon event in July in the UK. I was unable to find out when it is exactly (please let it be late July) but it will be for 4 days in the UK. I also heard there will be an Event in August but I don't know how many days or where it will be. One of the events has a download and one of the events will have (Imposter) Prof.Oak. I'm not sure if that is either the same event or what the story is, but if anyone asks you didn't get this from me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just wanted to share this moment - I realised that I've seen 490 pokemon in Diamond.... and I have the 2 missing ones (suicune and entei) sitting in a courier's pouch in the PokeMart...

Edit - wait a minute, it's 490, not 491... DAMN YOU, FORRETRESS!

Advertisement