Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Top Ten (Worst) Games Ever!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Let's test that out:

Halo is shit.

I'll see your statement and raise you,

Gunstar Heroes sucks balls

But all it takes here in these forums is to make a statement that unifies all in directed hatred towards one poster, easily done with a statement like the following,
    Goldenaxe and Streets of Rage are the gaming equivalent of sh1t in a cup

There now, that should be the splash of water to the face that everyone needs!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll see your statement and raise you,

Gunstar Heroes sucks balls

But all it takes here in these forums is to make a statement that unifies all in directed hatred towards one poster, easily done with a statement like the following,
    Goldenaxe and Streets of Rage are the gaming equivalent of sh1t in a cup

There now, that should be the splash of water to the face that everyone needs!

:eek::eek: Size 5 font!! It must be true.

I like SOR....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Driver 3

This game is really one of the worst things done to gamers in years, a truly abysmal game, with no redeeming features at all, where the company, Atari, knowing it had a complete dog on it's hands, sought to undermine the free press and buy up good reviews and subvert online forums to get people to buy it.
    http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/driv3r.htm

We all like some games, love others and avoid still more, all depending on individual tastes, where we love FPS, like racing titles, have a passion for JRPGs or prefer the western dungeon grind, so the difference to anyone of us between a good game and a bad one is more to do with the aforementioned taste than to a poor actual game, given the time and money invested in games these days. Even a relatively poorly reviewed game will appeal to fans of that genre.

Driver3 on the other hand is disgusting insult, a completely broken game, and looking for 50 quid in the process.
    It appeals to no one, and even the stores were stung with this one, Gamestop bought in tons of these games thinking they had a hit and were stuck with crates of the things, masses of returns.
    I got a copy of it a week ahead of it's irish release and I brought it back the next day, when asked why by one of the directors, a friend, whats wrong with it, I told him how muck it was and he went pale.
    The rest is history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While I can understand fans of stuff I don't rate like goldeneye, donkey kong country, halo etc. ([cheapswipe]and can understand how wrong they are[/cheapswipe]) there's people out there that like some absolutely abysmal games withno redeeming features. The big one for me is Legend of Dragoon, the most soulless and awful RPG ever created yet there's a rabid fanbase for it. When the now defunct GIA gave the game a fair review and gave it 1/5 the internet nearly exploded because of these deluded fools:

http://www.psy-q.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/features/f010625b.html

On the internet you'll always find somebody that likes something no matter how sick or wrong it is.

I bought that by accident one day, while trawling the game shelves during the dying days of the PSone, reckon it's worth something?
    I popped it on when I bought it and realised it was really crap, but there it lies, taking up drawer space.
    So, if someone really wants it, despite what Retro and I think of it, please, send wads of hard earned cash to me!

• Advertisement

Nice site retro, love the letter break down, here are some that question the sexuality of the author, very funny, just goes to show how much smarter the writer is compared to the flamer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Clayfighter on the Megadrive, I'm trying to forget it.

Ghostbusters on the Commodore 64, you load the tape for 10 minutes, if you get killed you have to load it again for another 10 minutes

Daley Thompson's Olympic Game, my parents were constantly shouting at me as I broke joysticks every second day :D

Gaelic Games,PS2, quality TV advert, game was muck

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Clayfighter on the Megadrive, I'm trying to forget it.

Played it on the Snes and enjoyed it.
    Ghostbusters on the Commodore 64, you load the tape for 10 minutes, if you get killed you have to load it again for another 10 minutes

And yet there are those who feel it was a classic, I hated it too though, I had it for the Spectrum and played it on the Amstrad CPC464 and it was rubbish!
    Daley Thompson's Olympic Game, my parents were constantly shouting at me as I broke joysticks every second day :D

Great games the Daley Thompson games, but as said before, they killed cheap joysticks like hypothermia kills grannies, best play it with a Competition Pro stick, like the big boys do.
    Gaelic Games, quality TV advert, game was muck

Fair enough, I have them for the PS2 but have yet to try them out, they do come from a repected developer from Oz though, who made some well regarded Aussie Rules games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't think I've posted it this forum before, I salute your knowledge of retro games sir! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Legend of Dragoon goes for a decent price now I think. Why, I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I bought that by accident one day, while trawling the game shelves during the dying days of the PSone, reckon it's worth something?
    I popped it on when I bought it and realised it was really crap, but there it lies, taking up drawer space.
    So, if someone really wants it, despite what Retro and I think of it, please, send wads of hard earned cash to me!
    I'd take it off your hands...! Sure it's got every jrpg cliche in the book, like Sony did a poll of what makes people like jrpgs, then mashed everything into the one game, but I really enjoyed it! Rented it back in the day, and never got to finish it...

And i don't care what ye say, I'll always remember it as being a good game! Why has it built up such a massive cult following if it so god forsaken awful?

And i don't care what ye say, I'll always remember it as being a good game! Why has it built up such a massive cult following if it so god forsaken awful?

You're in for a shock then. And it doesn't have a cult following, it's just a few 10-15 year olds that needed to play some good games. The only cult following it seems to have now is as a 'kuso game' (translation: shit game) for JRPG fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

I honestly cannot believe that no one has mentioned these classics:

The Crow: City of Angels (PS1)

Jersey Devil (PS1)

Star Wars: Obi Wan (Xbox)

Home Alone (!?!??! PS2) - Released in 2007-ish, it very nearly gave me night terrors. Lovely isometric 3D!

Just thinking about how terrible any of these are actually makes me giggle a bit :pac:

You're in for a shock then. And it doesn't have a cult following, it's just a few 10-15 year olds that needed to play some good games. The only cult following it seems to have now is as a 'kuso game' (translation: shit game) for JRPG fans.

Leave him alone Retro!
    If he wants t so bad let him have it, and when he wants his money back, then you can laugh and scoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Don't think I've posted it this forum before, I salute your knowledge of retro games sir! :cool:

He doesn't like Streets of Rage and is a rabbid Halo fanboi (!)

He knows nothing.

NOTHING!

o1s1n wrote: »
    He doesn't like Streets of Rage and is a rabbid Halo fanboi (!)

He knows nothing.

NOTHING!

Be quite, he's new and thinks I'm a genius, why burst his bubble now?
    He'll figure it out when I start raving about Halo Reach and ranting about how much side scroling beat'em ups suck!
    And I'm no Halo fanboy, I preferred FEAR2 to Halo 3 tbh, athough Retro hates both, and therefore maintains it's a stone cold fact, baby!

And I'm no Halo fanboy, I preferred FEAR2 to Halo 3 tbh, athough Retro hates both, and therefore maintains it's a stone cold fact, baby!

If you are comparing me to the legendary Eamon Dunphy then I take it as a compliment :P I think liking the god awful Clayfighters is a bigger crime. Next you'll tell us you love Primal Rage.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Did you like Fear 2 more than the first game? I thought the game had overused the little japanese scary girl (ala the ring) thing a little too much.

That was my problem with the second one. It was overused so much that it actually became boring in the second game unlike the first one that had genuine shocks and was used a bit more subtley. Also the combat just seemed poorer, I really liked how visceral it felt in the first game which was missing from the second one.

Yeah, maybe, I liked the psyche out kinda stuff, and whilst the scary japanese girl thing seems overused sometimes, it worked for me.
    Unfortunately I have a niece who looks just like that, so I am extra nice to her, just in case she decides to concentrate and make me explode like a watermelon with a firework inside.
    And FEAR 2 was far better than the first one, imho.
    FEAR3 is on the way, so fingers crossed it'll all be groovy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

1. Dark Castle (Mega Drive)
    2. Rise of the Robots (Mega Drive)
    3. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
    4. Fantasia (Mega Drive)
    5. Half Life 2 (compared to the first one) (PC)

Pff.. I can't remember any more. I only remember the good games.

• Advertisement

3. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
    5. Half Life 2 (compared to the first one) (PC)

This isn't going to sit well with some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Half Life 2 (compared to the first one) (PC)

Half Life 2 as one of the worst games ever, Im sorry but no. Even if you dont like Half Life 2, calling it one of the worlds worst games just wreaks of "I have no idea about games whatsoever". You sir, are banned. (Unfortunatley, Im not a mod :p)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Kudos to you for sticking HL2 in that list, I think its over-rated tripe compared to the first one. But I dont agree with you in regard to Shenmue though :)

Yeah you heard. I said you heard!

I could go searching for games that are perhaps worse like Pac Man on the 2600 but I don't really care about that one because most 2600 games were horrible. I didn't have any expectations they'd be good. I just found Shenmue and Half Life 2 horrible compared to whatever the developers had put out up to that point. For that matter Team Fortress 2 can go in the list. Horrible game compared to TFC or even Fortress Forever a free modification.

edit: reading back a few pages. Double Dragon on the 2600 was pretty alright. It was just horrifically difficult. I played it for months on end and only got to the last boss once, who promptly killed me. It wasn't bad per se. Just incredibly unforgiving. The graphics and gameplay were pretty impressive considering the limitations of the system.

TFC doesn't need to change. It's still incredibly fun. TF2 took out all the fun movement system (conc grenades), most of the different class special weapons and abilities. The characters move at about half the old speed (I suppose so you can aim at them easily on a joypad) so it's like playing in treacle. The original capture the flag mode is horrible because you can dash into the flag room and away without even hitting the ground. The whole overcharge invincibility thing is rubbish. People just sit around for two minutes waiting for it to powerup.. then run in with invincibility. It's completely and utterly ghey, aside from the wonderful graphics which made every magazine say "OMG Valve are so daring. 10/10 for being brave and releasing a PC game with cel-shading."

I could go searching for games that are perhaps worse like Pac Man on the 2600 but I don't really care about that one because most 2600 games were horrible. I didn't have any expectations they'd be good. I just found Shenmue and Half Life 2 horrible compared to whatever the developers had put out up to that point. For that matter Team Fortress 2 can go in the list. Horrible game compared to TFC or even Fortress Forever a free modification.

edit: reading back a few pages. Double Dragon on the 2600 was pretty alright. It was just horrifically difficult. I played it for months on end and only got to the last boss once, who promptly killed me. It wasn't bad per se. Just incredibly unforgiving. The graphics and gameplay were pretty impressive considering the limitations of the system.

Shenmue, horrible compared to what? I mean, it was a first, not much to compare it to really, plus you didn't like it but an awful lot of people did, I didn't get into it myself, but then one is not obliged to like everything.

As for 2600 games, I see you have edited your comments, but never the less, 2600 games were hampered by the poor graphics abilities of the console, but don't forget about it's time, and that some of the games on it were quite good, I have Defender II for it and it's excellent, Joust as well, Pole Position still gives me warm feelings and Pitfall is still the guilty pleasure it always was.
    As for Pacman, it was abysmal for the 2600 but I have it and the follow-up Ms.Pacman and they seem like two different consoles, the latter is very very good indeed.

It's completely and utterly ghey

Them's is fanboi words and should really get you banned!
    I mean, what the heck does it mean anyways?
    Does it mean the game has an unnatural attachment to it's mother?
    A penchant for handbags?
    A love of high NRG disco?
    Enjoy the film works of Judy Garland, Barbra Striesand and listens to Lady Gaga?

Does that mean non "ghey" games are somehow manly?
    Do you only play Gears Of War and Call Of Duty?
    Manly games full of men who hang around together and share tents?

We'll be watching you "Shapey Fiend", if that is you real name.....

Yeesh. I was only messing in the manner of a Xbox Live kiddie calling someone a nooblet. Calm yourself.

By no means am I suggesting all games need to be grey and full of space marines. I just think the media got excessively hung up on the superficial aspects of Team Fortress 2 when the gameplay was in fact massively dumbed down.
    Shenmue, horrible compared to what?

Compared to everything else AM2 ever developed. Yeah Outrun Turbo and Space Harrier 2 weren't the best games in the world but they weren't as bloody mindedly tiresome to play as Shenmue. The way the game made you perform repetitive, dull and pointless tasks over and over was ridiculous. The box stacking and forklift races alone should be enough to consign this game to the category of most irritating game of all time. The curfew that made you walk through the entire game world back and forth every day through about 25 slow to load screens. Everything had tedious and longwinded animations. The dialogue was horribly clunky. The plot generic and boring. Need I continue? Most games have a good excuse for being rubbish, but Shenmue was one of the most expensive games of all time. They could have made 10 awesome AM2 arcade games for the same money/time. What a waste.

Well if you include Shenmue 2 and Half-Life 2 in a worst games ever list then it just means you haven't played many games at all. I've controversial views on games like Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye and Robocop vs.Terminator and while I don't like them I'd never consider putting them on a worst ever list. Is hal-life 2 and Shenmue really as good as a god awful game like Dark Castle on the megadrive?

I've obviously played a lot of games. It's not like the stuff I listed was all from the last 6 months. Worst games can mean different things to different people. As I said earlier I'm defining worst as games that I had expectations about, and which were dashed.

Why would I have had unrealistic expectations about Dark Castle? The box art looked cool. Back in those days you didn't know what a game was like till you stuck it in the machine so I expected it to be as good as anything else.

Playing Shenmue again for more than 5 minutes is my idea of torture so I'm perfectly justified in putting it in my worst games ever list. Sorry if anybody else finds that overly provocative.

• Advertisement

Well if you include Shenmue 2 and Half-Life 2 in a worst games ever list then it just means you haven't played many games at all. I've controversial views on games like Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye and Robocop vs.Terminator and while I don't like them I'd never consider putting them on a worst ever list. Is hal-life 2 and Shenmue really as good as a god awful game like Dark Castle on the megadrive?

I'm with you there, hard to establish a baseline of lameness when you're including the likes of Half Life 2 in with Dark Castle.

I think the poster is getting mixed up between a game not being to his liking and a game being god awful muck.
    I don't like Final Fantasy games, everytime I play one I fall asleep, they could include it as anesthetic before a hip replacement, I wouldn't feel a thing, but I understand that some folk reckon the sun rises and sets in each and every chapter. And they are not wrong, they are probably very very good, but not my bag baby.
    But then you have to games that really are pitiful, many of which have been detailed here, and no one anywhere, including those who made them, like them at all.

Half Life 2 is astounding by the way, a whole new way to tell a story through videogames, even though I prefer the original, I wouldn't trade in the time I spent in HL2 and the followup episodes for anything.
    To not be able to appreciate that, in spite of your own dislike of the title, bodes poorly for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement