Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as south tipp accent and north tipp accent ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Just looking at wiki there now, apparently it was DNA from the gummed seal on the envelopes of the letters that Humble (Wear-side Jack) sent to Police and daily mirror back in 78/79 which caught him out.
    I see that now, I thought they had lost the envelopes. Did you see
    http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.local.southwest/2006-01/msg00432.html

I see that now, I thought they had lost the envelopes. Did you see
    http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.local.southwest/2006-01/msg00432.html

contradicts last link i gave
    http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-176503195.html

DT100 wrote: »
    Primal Therapy you have it spot on.....:D
    and

opinion = opingon
    documents = dockaments
    occupied - ockapied
    registered = regestered

"In my opingon the secretary should be ocakpied putting the dockaments of the regestered people in the briefcase"
    "I have dockamemtary evidence of the case"

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

From my time in Tipp anyone i ever met from thurles/turles said something and then added "so i am" as in

"I'm going to the dance tonight so I am."
    " I will ask her to dance so i will"
    and next day
    "I asked her to dance so i did. "
    "she danced with me so she did"
    and
    "I write to them every week so i do"
    "They send me replies every week so they do"

Thats my post so it is;)

Thats a laois thing, mostly around mountmellick

twistyj wrote: »
    Thats a laois thing, mostly around mountmellick
    thurless too in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

I'm originally from the Lorrha area of North Tipp and always thought of the accent in the area as kind of a flat accent compared to our southern cousins. There's definetly influences in the South Tipp accents from Waterford and Cork/Limerick depending on which border you're living beside. I know people in the Lorrha area with a twinge of a connaught twang due to their proximity to the border. But generally the North Tipp accent would be like that of the Laois/Offaly area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,602 ✭✭✭✭klose

Clonmel D4 wanna be accent amongst the young ones here would drive ya demented.

LOOOOOOOIIIIIIKKKKKE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Clonmel D4 wanna be accent amongst the young ones here would drive ya demented.

LOOOOOOOIIIIIIKKKKKE

Loooooooooiiiiiikkkke ooooooh myyy GOD i know loooooooiikkkee (said through their orange tan) d4 wana be's:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭pooch90

You get the D4 wannabe d!cks everywhere though...........Clonmel one's no worse than any of the rest of the gobsh!tes'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As an outsider i can see a few distinct accents in Tipp, not just North and South ones:

Very North Tipp - i.e. Lorrha, Terryglass, Borrisokane - this one is a cross between a Galway and Offaly accent.

North Tipp - i.e Nenagh, Roscrea, Templemore - i always find a bit of an Offaly/Laois twang off these accents. Then again if you go towards the border with Limerick/Clare such as places like Dromineer, Newport and Ballina, the accent changes again to a more westerly one.

West Tipp - Around Tipp Town, Cappawhite, Bansha, Aherlow, etc....this one is very similar to the East Limerick accent. D'Unbelievables can trace their accent from this part of the world.

Mid Tipp - Thurles, Boherlahan, Templetuohy, etc - probably the truest version of a Tipp accent, a one that isn't really influenced by other counties, except maybe Kilkenny in parts.

South West Tipp - i.e. Ballyporeen, Clogheen - Heavily influenced the by north East Cork accent.

South Tipp - i.e. Clonmel, Carrick, Cahir, Fethard, Newcastle, etc - A mishmash of a Mid Tipp/West Waterford/Kilkenny accent.

I generally find South Tipp accents to be more subtle/rounded than North Tipp ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

South Tipp is rougher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Otterfox

I think places like carrick pretty much have a Waterford accent which is nothing like the north Tipp accent. That said thurles has a different accent to nenagh. I think outsiders think all Tipp people talk like D'unbelievables. Nenagh people often answer the question they ask you "How are you goin' on? Are you well? You are". I find them very friendly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Whatever the Tipp accent is, I'm grateful I don't have one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I read something in the paper about the Tipp accent being the least sexiest accent in Ireland,Donegal has the sexiest.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

tippspur wrote: »
    I read something in the paper about the Tipp accent being the least sexiest accent in Ireland,Donegal has the sexiest.:(

Some people just have no taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Otterfox

I think it's what people percieve Tipp accents to be rather than actively listening to accents from different counties and rating them. All I know is I'm from Tipp and I've a flippin' lovely accent ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

there is defo a difference between north/south
    it's hard to distinguish a person from clonmel and waterford for example.
    south tipp is influenced by waterford for sure.. it's cute the way they all say 'tu' for 'two'.
    north tipp is more pat shortt style..
    do you notice the dropping of the 'e' sometimes. ie- 'Tipprary'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm from the Borrisokane/Kilbarron area originally and living in Limerick for 36 years.
    I can always pick up the Borrisokane (Burris, as we'd call it) accent when I hear it in Limk. or anywhere outside the motherland.

North Tipp and South Tipp are very different, and even the Kilbarron/Terryglass accent is different to the Tipp/Offaly border areas accents. I even heard the old folks say there was a difference in accent between the Terryglass and Kilbarron ends of my parish.

John.

Advertisement