Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as south tipp accent and north tipp accent ?

Options
  • 29-05-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

would south tipp be more influced in their accents by cork/waterford and north tipp galway/offaly or do we both have our own distingtive accents?:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

dont think theres much difference between accents but definetly in the things we say

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Dunno, but none of ye, North or South, can pronounce you're "th"s. E.G. Im going to Thurles [Turles] for the [de] day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I definitely hear a difference in how people here in clonmel talk compared to some people from more rural areas of south tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Well Carrick most definitely has it's own accent! :p

Saaaake boy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I definitely hear a difference in how people here in clonmel talk compared to some people from more rural areas of south tipp!

im getting sick of hearing ye say alrite kiiid and bud fethard people do it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I notice a difference in accent between Thurles and Cashel people and the towns are only about 12 miles apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

I notice a big difference between my own (Tipp town) and other areas. i wouldn't be very familiar with the north Tipp accent but id say their definitely is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

There's a big differance between the Clonmel accent and the Carrick accent that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You can tell when your in Clonmel with the "Well!......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

There's a very flat Clonmel accent that's a bit like the Waterford one. Don't like it much. I live near Thurles and can and do pronounce my 'th-'s, thank you very much. Round here, we manage to get three syllables into 'Weeeell', and words like school and fool are said 'skoo-ell' and 'foo-ell'. Oh, I thought of an exception to the 'th-' thing: when using 'the' before a word that starts with a vowel, as in "going to a debs in d'Anner" or "look at the size of d'arse on Bridie". Pat Shortt, in other words. Don't know about Nenagh/Roscrea accents, and I won't comment on Carrick as I've only ever met skangers from Carrick and wouldn't like to tar ye all with the one brush.

• Advertisement

Meant to say my least favourite Tipperary accent is the one that permatanned teenaged girls seem to have developed in recent years - kind of a cross between D4 and Californian Valley girl - I mean jaysus girls, most of ye are bog-born and farm-raised, where are ye going with yeer 'Loike, Fionn was so, loike, random, yah? My mom thinks he's loike, sooo out there, loike, yah yah..."
    Makes my skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    im getting sick of hearing ye say alrite kiiid and bud fethard people do it too

Who said i'm from clonmel? I'm not by the way.

Ah sure clonmel - Fethard suire kiid its da same thing bud :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

From my time in Tipp anyone i ever met from thurles/turles said something and then added "so i am" as in

"I'm going to the dance tonight so I am."
    " I will ask her to dance so i will"
    and next day
    "I asked her to dance so i did. "
    "she danced with me so she did"
    and
    "I write to them every week so i do"
    "They send me replies every week so they do"

Thats my post so it is;)

From my time in Tipp anyone i ever met from thurles/turles said something and then added "so i am" as in

Yep, I do that too, so I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

iceage wrote: »

That's not just South Tipp, that's North Tipp too.

Here in North Tipp, we have veh-ic-le (next time you are a checkpoint listen well to what they learned in Templemore ;) )and some "did you go to the shops, you did?" or " did you do go to mass you did?"

And of course " I do be at the gym" and always saying ye and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

iceage wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

There is definitely a noticeable difference between Clonmel&Thurles which is amazing when you consider the proximity of the places and this phenomenon replicates itself across Irl.The in-breeding (i.e. marrying your 1st common) was de rigeur up to the early part of the 20th century everywhere in rural Irl and definitely influences the proliferation of the development of localized accents/dialects.YOU CAN'T BEAT BREEDING!
    Not meaning to go off on a tangent,but how annoying is it hearing teens&twentysomethings ''aping'' this generic young American accent,pitch&diction e.g ''whatever,sooooooooo,like...''In my day,you would have been ''leathered'' for that& it would have done you no harm!!

migozarad wrote: »
    There is definitely a noticeable difference between Clonmel&Thurles which is amazing when you consider the proximity of the places and this phenomenon replicates itself across Irl.The in-breeding (i.e. marrying your 1st common) was de rigeur up to the early part of the 20th century everywhere in rural Irl and definitely influences the proliferation of the development of localized accents/dialects.YOU CAN'T BEAT BREEDING!
    Not meaning to go off on a tangent,but how annoying is it hearing teens&twentysomethings ''aping'' this generic young American accent,pitch&diction e.g ''whatever,sooooooooo,like...''In my day,you would have been ''leathered'' for that& it would have done you no harm!!
    Was in Tipperary a lot in the last few years. Found they cannot pronounce words like junior/senior/brilliant
    "The junor team are playing "and "the senor team were brillant"
    And they call Ballywilliam,a place in Tipperary, Ballywillam. Same with people who are called William or last name Williams."Is Willam here" I saw Mr Willams here earlier"

JamieK wrote: »
    Well Carrick most definitely has it's own accent! :p

Saaaake boy :p

Thats true. Very like....dare i say it (unless your a blaa)........ the Waterford city accent!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I don't think south tipp and north tipp have different accents. Some times if your listening to someone from tipp sometimes they sound like their from cork

migozarad wrote: »

Your spot on. Clonmel is notorious for trying to be like the cast from the hills whereas thurles is a proper hurling town with the proper bogger edge to their accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Obaraten wrote: »
    who gives a fcuk tbh......
    The people posting ???Primal Therapy you have it spot on.....:D
    I often wonder who decides the mods....A tipp mod for a tipp forum I say...Lads I will be probably be banned forever now......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

isn't it better than having no accent???

I spent some time in the united states (West coast) and there was no discernable accent (apart from the loud nasal ) :rolleyes: from the canadian border down to the mexican one - how absolutely boring!!!

:)

Id say accents are almost household unique at the end of the day. I remember watching program about the 'Yorkshire ripper' investigation one night on BBC and they were on about the guy who led the investigation on a wild goose chase.
    'Accent experts' traced the hoaxer's accent to a specific street in Sunderland.

Overall i suppose the Cork//Dublin/Tipp/Kilkenny/Northern Ireland/London/Scouse/wherever, people all sound the same to anyone outside of these regions but if psycho-analyzed we probably all have variations

'Yorkshire ripper' investigation one night on BBC and they were on about the guy who led the investigation on a wild goose chase.
    'Accent experts' traced the hoaxer's accent to a specific street in Sunderland.
    they did not find him though did they?I know he was found eventually but not by those 'accent experts'

they did not find him though did they?I know he was found eventually but not by those 'accent experts'

They did yeah (edit) around 10 or 15 years later i think. fascinating for 1970s policing that they should have such an expert. Far cry from the image 'Life on Mars' projects.

Ballingarry near me have a very different type of accent to the other village's around but to the outsider we probably all sound the same.

Thats true. Very like....dare i say it (unless your a blaa)........ the Waterford city accent!! :D
    Did you know a bread roll is called a bla or blah in Waterford.Why is that where is the connection?

They did yeah (edit) around 10 or 15 years later i think. fascinating for 1970s policing that they should have such an expert. .
    john humble wasn't it though some say it was a stitch up. But I don't think it was the voic experts who found him was it? When the police were going around the area with tapes of the accents workers were saying 'give us one more listen' to avoid going back to work!

• Advertisement

john humble wasn't it though some say it was a stitch up. But I don't think it was the voic experts who found him was it?

Just looking at wiki there now, apparently it was DNA from the gummed seal on the envelopes of the letters that Humble (Wear-side Jack) sent to Police and daily mirror back in 78/79 which caught him out.
    Did you know a bread roll is called a bla or blah in Waterford.Why is that where is the connection?

I understand 'blaa' is type of bread or a type of bun as you were suggesting, so one can only assume that they got the name 'blaa' from their use of the term

Advertisement