Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Teaching Council

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Haha! Not a chance. Gold card only I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MiseEireannach

Speaking as a permanently employed (lucky!) primary teacher, registration with the TC is not mandatory. (as has been said already Section 30 of 2001 act has not yet been signed into legislation). I have never joined although some of my colleagues were scared into it. Go onto TC website, pick a school you know and search to see how many of the teachers are registered - less than half for my school. As far as I'm concerned the eur14.84 per fortnight (eur386p.a!) I pay to the INTO is too much already without another eur90 on top for TC. Surely the function of the TC should be part and parcel of what the INTO (or ASTI, TUI etc) do. It's a racket /Quango set up during the boom. The TC website has a copy of the report from the original review body proposing the TC and it recommended a TC structure with 14 employees - in practice it has become 41 - sounds like a quango to me!

Don't send emails complaining to the TC (based on others testimony here they're not interested) just don't renew, especially if you are an employed primary teacher - actions speak louder than words. I originally qualified and worked as an Engineer and never joined the IEI either (even though most of my employers reimbursed the sub if asked). I was never asked for my IEI card when going for a job - my BEng cert was more than adequate. Most of these professional bodies are self serving and their only aim is to make money and create a prestige elitist culture of the profession. IMHO teaching doesn't need that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Just received an information sheet from them detailing their work to date and plans for the future.
    One page front and back, large font.
    One thing that sticks out under their "Next Steps" section is the line "Section 30 of the Act, which will effectively make registration mandatory"
    So it isn't mandatory now.
    How many years have I forked out my 90 euros??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

vallo wrote: »
    One thing that sticks out under their "Next Steps" section is the line "Section 30 of the Act, which will effectively make registration mandatory"
    So it isn't mandatory now.
    How many years have I forked out my 90 euros??:eek:

Surely this means we have all been conned in the most outrageous fashion?Theyve been saying it will be enforced in law in the next few months now for years

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

i have just taken a major complaint (which I'm not going to go into details about here) against the TC to the minister and to another TD who is in my constituency. when I spoke to the Deputy Director (Brendan O'Dea - after Aine Lawlor fobbed me off to him) he didn't even know who I should escalate the complaint too - my solicitor thought it might be the ombudsman for semi-state bodies but they don't even fall under that remit - I've had to complain directly to the minister. Which I have done. Brendan O'Dea even said to me on the phone, "its your entitlement to take it further, but i'm not quite too sure who you would go to - you could try the minister" Even they do not know who they are accountable too. I'm going to leave 2 footprints on this earth - my children and the fact that I helped to get rid of the teaching council. my campaign (and I will be in your schools in the September asking for support) will start as soon as the school term is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

highly1111 wrote: »
    i have just taken a major complaint (which I'm not going to go into details about here) against the TC to the minister and to another TD who is in my constituency. when I spoke to the Deputy Director (Brendan O'Dea - after Aine Lawlor fobbed me off to him) he didn't even know who I should escalate the complaint too - my solicitor thought it might be the ombudsman for semi-state bodies but they don't even fall under that remit - I've had to complain directly to the minister. Which I have done. Brendan O'Dea even said to me on the phone, "its your entitlement to take it further, but i'm not quite too sure who you would go to - you could try the minister" Even they do not know who they are accountable too. I'm going to leave 2 footprints on this earth - my children and the fact that I helped to get rid of the teaching council. my campaign (and I will be in your schools in the September asking for support) will start as soon as the school term is over.

I obviously dont know what exactly your complaint is about but In my opinion the TC are a total waste of time and do nothing for our 90 euro each year.....You ahve my support !!!

Advertisement