Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Million pound drop on Ch4

Options
  • 26-05-2010 10:29pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have been watching this all week with Mrs Ziedth in hospital,

It's a great idea for a show but it's so annoying, now I'm not a genius by any stretch but maybe 9 out of 10 questions I would be 100% certain on and they just throw their money around.

What I'm saying is someone even half decent (allot better then me) at quiz's would surely walk this let allone two people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ziedth wrote: »
    I have been watching this all week with Mrs Ziedth in hospital,

It's a great idea for a show but it's so annoying, now I'm not a genius by any stretch but maybe 9 out of 10 questions I would be 100% certain on and they just throw their money around.

What I'm saying is someone even half decent (allot better then me) at quiz's would surely walk this let allone two people.
    Obviously it's easier to say that when you're not there. I think the show is flawed as a concept, the money goes down constantly and with it so does the tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did anyone see what just happened?
    Lost £525,000 on the final question!

GUTTED!

It's a flawed format - and can sometimes go far too slowly! But when, like we saw tonight, they're down to 2 - 3 questions remaining with over half a million left in the kitty - it can be very exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

cant believe they didnt put at least some sort of money on the other answer. they were guaranteed at least a quarter million. PLEBS!!!

cant believe they didnt put at least some sort of money on the other answer. they were guaranteed at least a quarter million. PLEBS!!!
    They couldn't.. it was all or nothing!

Davina made that clear - you always have to leave one hatch clear.. where'd be the tension otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Mate watch the game show a bit closer its all or nothing on the last question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

amacachi wrote: »
    Obviously it's easier to say that when you're not there. I think the show is flawed as a concept, the money goes down constantly and with it so does the tension.

I don't believe that for a second. Someone even a little clues in could walk it, those questions IMHO are not any harder then the 1000 quest on who wants to be a millionare and they do fine, and there is two of you.

In saything that I would have got the last question wrong for the 500k :)

ziedth wrote: »
    I don't believe that for a second. Someone even a little clues in could walk it, those questions IMHO are not any harder then the 1000 quest on who wants to be a millionare and they do fine, and there is two of you.

In saything that I would have got the last question wrong for the 500k :)
    Nah, I don't believe that.. they can sometimes be quite tough to be fair!

Especially the one's where you've to find the "latest" / "earliest" event in a series of 4 - more often that not, you can eliminate 1 or 2 - but as we saw tonight, they can be quite close together in terms of a time-frame.

Though I was raging when they wasted money on the '
    Sex and The City
    ' question and the '
    Dizzee Rascal
    ' question.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

That last question was a b1tch!
    Have c4 actually given any money on the show this week? What a pity for that couple getting 7 questions correct and then coming away with nada
    :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Ah ya, maybe a little harsh on my part but I still think that somone smarter then me could easily get to the last question with 300k.

If you can be stuck between two questions for even 3 out of the 7 you can still have big big money.

That last question was a b1tch!
    Have c4 actually given any money on the show this week? What a pity for that couple getting 7 questions correct and then coming away with nada
    :eek:
    Nope.. absolutely nothing so far.

With regards to the last question -
    I thought it was Ozzy and Sharon too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually knew the last question and I'm pretty sure it was down to watching RTE'S Reeling in the Years. I'm sure I saw the wedding mentioned in the 1981 version.

Edit: Yes it is. Cheers RTE. :pac:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The show looked woefully under-rehearsed on Monday, the pacing was too slow. Took way too long to reveal each answer, and there really should be scales on the hatches to count the money.

Having said that, They have now speeded up the pace of the show and it is coming together nicely. The questions are fairly tough and and anyone who wants to win big money can't mess around trying to cover too many options early on.

That couple tonight were by far the best contestants.
    Some of them on the first few nights were poor, thinking jon Snow might be tweeting about Over The Rainbow?? Channel 4 really need someone to win cash before the end of this run

SkidMark wrote: »
    That couple tonight were by far the best contestants.
    Some of them on the first few nights were poor, thinking jon Snow might be tweeting about Over The Rainbow?? Channel 4 really need someone to win cash before the end of this run
    Yeah.. it's only a six night run, right?

And it takes a good 50 - 55 minutes to get through the 8 questions -
    as we saw last night![

Must say I'm enjoying it all the same.. though Davina is grating on me more here than usual. Every single fecking time the timer runs out to place their money, she bends over gurning "owhwhwhh.. I luvvv you two. Yer know why? Cuz ye're such risssk-takers!" :mad:

I can't stand Davina TBH,

She just seems so fake to me, I agree about the pacing early on. I really wanted that couple last night to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Yer man seemed sound but his girlfriend seemed like a right cow altogther.
    Glad it was her who got the question wrong or your man would've never heard the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yer man though, even after realising he went through San Diego to Mexico, was still unsure whether is was California or Nevada, DOH

And the Sex and the City question. Dear lord. They were hardly leaving it a guess as to which film was in the break, so obviously it was Sex and the City.

In fact, they got a fair few handy ones. Was my first time watching the show.

The scientific dates one was tough, i got it fairly easily, but I'd imagine the vast majority of people would get that wrong (unless they have some sort of interest in history).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

me and my mates have been watching this from the start. we thought it was a fix lastnight until the end. they'll have to have a winner soon or people will lose interest in it.... or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

you can play along on the channel 4 website aswell

Can't believe they spelt 'degrees' wrong on the first question tonight.

SkidMark wrote: »
    Can't believe they spelt 'degrees' wrong on the first question tonight.
    I noticed that as well... thought it was just me! :D

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    I noticed that as well... thought it was just me! :D

Yeah, just after I posted it I thought I might have jumped the gun, but if you search for 'degress' on twitter, a few people saw it.

(For anyone who missed it, Channel 4 spelt 'degrees' as 'degress' on one of the screens as an option for the first question)

This Gemma one seems awful ditzy.. and seems silly to come on your own!

Don't think she'll make it past question 3!

EDIT:
    She'll be out shortly on question 2... she put all her money on the fact Pumpernickel is not a type of bread! She also thought Focaccia was a cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

This Gemma one seems awful ditzy.. and seems silly to come on your own!

Don't think she'll make it past question 3!

She's not going to make past question 2!!!!

Very odd change of format to have a solo player on, doesn't make much sense.

Some of these contestants are terrible and Davina isn't much better. I think they wound all prefer to be on Big Brother.

If you replaced the presenter and the contestants there is a good quiz show in this.

tallpaul wrote: »
    She's not going to make past question 2!!!!
    See my edit above! ;)

A 20 and a 21 year old.. and one's a dancer? These people are far too young to win anything decent!

Now THAT was satisying! :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Did anyone see what just happened?
    Lost £525,000 on the final question!

GUTTED!

It's a flawed format - and can sometimes go far too slowly! But when, like we saw tonight, they're down to 2 - 3 questions remaining with over half a million left in the kitty - it can be very exciting!

That was so awful! You can play along as well on the channel 4 website as well, made it more interesting for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Last nights questions were far easier I thought

There is a rumour on some internet sites that The Million Pound Drop contestants are all going to be on Big Brother.

No idea if it's true, but it would explain a few things (Davina and the contestants, partcularly the solo girl)

Still wouldn't get me to watch Big Brother, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It's a good show but the amount of talking rightly pisses me off, just get on with it!
    Has anyone actually won anything on it so far? IMO I think some of the questions are a bit too hard, some questions are very particular and not general enough.

Advertisement