Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korean Situation.

Options
  • 25-05-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, this has really hotted up in the last week or so. The North is still denying any involvement in the sinking of the Souths gunboat. And today, in response to the Souths cessation of inter-Korean trade(13% of the Norths GDP iirc) the North has "Severed all ties" with the South and there are also reports that the North has put its military on "high-alert". Is this just more bluster from the rogue, now nuclear state or could we be bordering on something much bigger?
    Personally I think it all depends on Chinas reaction: Clinton is currently in Beijing attempting to get them to condemn NKs actions but as of yet nothing has materialized.

Heres a few links taken from BBC:

BBC article on "Severing Ties".
    Timeline or North/South Korean attacks
    Details of the Gunboats sinking+Subsequent investigation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The North are expelling all personnel from the South as well. I'm hoping it's the usual rubbish from the North obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

amacachi wrote: »
    The North are expelling all personnel from the South as well. I'm hoping it's the usual rubbish from the North obviously.
    I doubt it, I got to say every thing is pointing towards bad at the moment. The South has cut off trade with the North, this is going to lead to even more food shortages in the North. And people, not Governments can only take so much before they explode.

I hope for the Souths sake they back down now and resume trade with the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The deal with personel being expelled goes like this:
    KCNA said the North was also expelling all South Korean workers from a jointly-run factory north of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I doubt it, I got to say every thing is pointing towards bad at the moment. The South has cut off trade with the North, this is going to lead to even more food shortages in the North. And people, not Governments can only take so much before they explode.

I hope for the Souths sake they back down now and resume trade with the North.

You dont reward bad behaviour, unless you want to signal abject weakness.

The Souths decision to suspend trade was a reasonable and measured move to counter the Norths attack on its navy. The North will have a tantrum and a rage about it, but theyll cool off. Behind all the bluster, they dont want a war with the US because they will lose. Especially without Chinese support, and China has more common interest with the USA than NK. If North Korea attacks the south, theyll quickly find out how unimportant they are to China.

Sand wrote: »
    The Souths decision to suspend trade was a reasonable and measured move to counter the Norths attack on its navy. The North will have a tantrum and a rage about it, but theyll cool off. Behind all the bluster, they dont want a war with the US because they will lose. Especially without Chinese support, and China has more common interest with the USA than NK. If North Korea attacks the south, theyll quickly find out how unimportant they are to China.
    But then you have to ask the question from both sides? Why would America put themselves into a war with a military power, a war they have a chance of losing.
    If no interest keeps china out of the war then one could argue the same position for America. How do they benifite from S.Koreas existence?

• Advertisement

The US have upwards of 20,000 men in South Korea. If the North were to invade they would be directly involved. War with the South effectively means war with the USA.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    The US have upwards of 20,000 men in South Korea. If the North were to invade they would be directly involved. War with the South effectively means war with the USA.
    Those twenty thousand men could easily pull out. And would have to after one million koreans came across the border. I see no reason why the US would risk a war with the North, a nuclear and military power. They gain nothing from S.Koreas continued existence and would only lose money and men in the process.

Those twenty thousand men could easily pull out. And would have to after one million koreans came across the border. I see no reason why the US would risk a war with the North, a nuclear and military power. They gain nothing from S.Koreas continued existence and would only lose money and men in the process.

The US has spent a lot of its credibility as a superpower, implicit and explicit, that it would defend South Korea from attack by North Korea. Thats why it has 20,000 soldiers in South Korea. To demonstrate its serious.

Were it to bail, the threat of US intervention, perhaps the single greatest check on warlords and agressive militant states around the world, would be eliminated with a resulting loss of U.S. diplomatic prestige and the return of medium to large wars across the globe. The U.S. mightnt gain much from fighting North Korea, but it has a lot to lose.

Were it to bail, the threat of US intervention, perhaps the single greatest check on warlords and agressive militant states around the world, would be eliminated with a resulting loss of U.S. diplomatic prestige and the return of medium to large wars across the globe. The U.S. mightnt gain much from fighting North Korea, but it has a lot to lose.
    So those 20,000 men should be sent to their deaths with the prospect of nuclear war because of Americas pride?

Adding to that America is a demoracy and senators are unlikely to vote for a war that will see thousands brought home in a plastic bag needlessly. It's not good for votes.

I'm sorry I refuse to accept that the American Government is that proud or arrogant. Nor do I think the Americans pull out would lead to future wars. America lost the Vietnam war without any worldwide consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So those 20,000 men should be sent to their deaths with the prospect of nuclear war because of Americas pride?

No one is sending 20,000 men to die because of "pride". The North Korean regime can't be allowed expand, because that would threaten Japan. Secondly, you seem to have an exaggerated sense of the resources available to North Korea. Thirdly, the South Korean Army is well known for its toughness.

China will not go to war over North Korea being given a good slapping if it left its own borders.

• Advertisement

Its no less likely than North Korean men being sent to their deaths because of the whims of dictator.

Back during the Home Rule trouble back at the turn of the 20th century, the British leadership knew that their people would fight for the British Empire, but they wouldnt fight for Ireland. At the same, most Americans probably dont care less about Korea. But they will fight to preserve the US hegemony when its directly attacked in a blatant fashion.
    America lost the Vietnam war without any worldwide consequences.

Having first fought it for many years, laying waste to much of the country, and withdrawing only after it had underlined its willingness to fight to defend its allies?

Its currently waging two low intensity conflicts since 2001 and 2003 respectively, having absorped thousands of casualties. Prior to this, nobody credited the US public opinion would allow the US to stick in a war for more than 7 or 8 combat casualties.

How does this make it likely they would bail the first time a North Korean drummer boy shows up?

Nodin wrote: »
    No one is sending 20,000 men to die because of "pride". The North Korean regime can't be allowed expand, because that would threaten Japan.
    It doesn't have the economical or military might to threaten Japan.
    Secondly, you seem to have an exaggerated sense of the resources available to North Korea.
    North Korea is the most militarised country in the world. At 1.2 million personel it has the worlds fourth largest standing army.

The border between North and South Korea is the most heavily guarded border in the world. North korea has over a million troops stationed there.

Added to that Seoul, the South's capital city and major financial centre is in the north of the country quite next to the border. A major push from the North could see the war over in a month.
    Thirdly, the South Korean Army is well known for its toughness.
    As tough as brain washed lunatics? I doubt it.
    China will not go to war over North Korea being given a good slapping if it left its own borders.
    That depends on whether the South or America tries to eat up parts of the North after repelling the invasion. They went to war once to defend the North Koreans, I see no reason why they wouldn't this time.

China has the same interest in the North as the Americans have in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All I know is the US is treaty-bound to provide military support and cooperation with South Korea in the event of any engagement with DPRK.

Why Kim would ever be brave and stupid enough to do that however, i know not. I imagine it wouldn't take more than a day or two to gain air dominance.

Having first fought it for many years, laying waste to much of the country, and withdrawing only after it had underlined its willingness to fight to defend its allies?
    They still lost. They had to pull out they had no other choice.
    Its currently waging two low intensity conflicts since 2001 and 2003 respectively, having absorped thousands of casualties. Prior to this, nobody credited the US public opinion would allow the US to stick in a war for more than 7 or 8 combat casualties.
    Iraq is a walk over compared to North Korea. These guys are lunatics who would fight untill the very bitter end. Kim Jung Il couldn't care less if the death toll rises to the millions.

The Americans do however and I would expect they would pull out soon after the 20,000 stationed there die.
    How does this make it likely they would bail the first time a North Korean drummer boy shows up?
    Information from here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War#Opposition_to_invasion

The Iraqi army was stood at only 375,000 people. They weren't brainwashed and they altogether were not as organised as the North Koreans are now.

North Korea has 1.2 million active standing troops, the Americans only have 1.4 million. Even with the American advanced weapons they would have to commit more troops then they would like to have any effect on the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

But how loyal are the North Korean people to Kim Jonj Ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This to me is just your normal Korean situation. North Korea does something to cause tension between them and the South and then suddently the guns are raised at each others heads, or in this case the nukes. Usually these things tend to die down, and North and South Korea go back to their normal relationship, until the next crisis arises between them.

But I don't know, could this be the very thing that starts it all off. I don't think anything out of the ordinary will happen, but I just hope it all settles down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

Terrain is probably the most important factor other that troop numbers. Korea is covered in forest and mountains. It would be no walkover for either side.

Some people are forgetting Vietnam. The US lost and they did not 'pull out' until hundreds of thousands were killed and chemical weapons destroyed the place.

It doesn't have the economical or military might to threaten Japan.

It apparently has the might to threaten the US though. Cant have it both ways.
    Iraq is a walk over compared to North Korea. These guys are lunatics who would fight untill the very bitter end. Kim Jung Il couldn't care less if the death toll rises to the millions.

The Americans do however and I would expect they would pull out soon after the 20,000 stationed there die.

Yeah, Saddam said the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

large armies aren't necessarily an advantage,
    I doubt it will ever come to anything other than sabre rattling, I am sure the N Koreans have learned a lot from what the US has being doing over the last few years, then again the US probably has learned some things too, if it comes to anything to retain credibility they probably would not go much further than the current border, more likely they'd just bomb up as many targets of military importance which the N Korean civilians will suffer for, unless Kim Jong il is planning on going out with a bang, which I hope not.

It apparently has the might to threaten the US though. Cant have it both ways.
    It's not threatening the US. Only 20,000 of its troops. Who would soon be steam-rolled. Let me clear this up. I never said N.Korea was a threat to the US, it isn't.
    Yeah, Saddam said the same.
    Well Saddams opinion would be pretty biased, wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Knarr wrote: »
    Terrain is probably the most important factor other that troop numbers. Korea is covered in forest and mountains. It would be no walkover for either side.

Some people are forgetting Vietnam. The US lost and they did not 'pull out' until hundreds of thousands were killed and chemical weapons destroyed the place.

I'm sure the Americans have learned their lesson since then. But even more so, can the US really afford to start another war. They're still trying to deal with the Middle East, but N.K as well would be overexpanding wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

The US has a mutual defense treaty with the South, they're obliged to defend them. They have 28,000 troops in the South and 30,000+ in Japan, and they have a mutual defense pact with the Philippines, not to mention being a member of NATO, which includes EU member states, and supporting the Major non-NATO allies, which includes South Korea, Australia, and Israel. It's also worth remembering that the original Korean war involved the UN, not just the US and South Korea.

The US have to defend South Korea, and they would have most of the world as their allies. Excluding China and Russia. Which is the problem. China don't want the US to end up on their border, but if they get involved in a war between North Korea and the US and its allies it might start a very, very, big war with more nuclear weapons in play then North Korea will ever have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The North would overrun the South in days, but would then be pulverised.
    The US would have to defend SK anyway, isn't Seoul a pretty damn big financial centre? Let alone the perceived threat to Japan. I can't see the North being stupid enough to start something, unless KJI does it for a last hurrah if he's on the way out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's also worth remembering that the original Korean war involved the UN, not just the US and South Korea.

The United Nations Command still exists, just that the only non US/ROK members of it are generally a few representatives from the other 13 countries who work in offices. You'll note that JSA personnel, for example, still wear the UN flash.

20100204_dmz_roksoldier.jpg

There has never, to my knowledge, been an official resolution from the UN separating itself from the Korean Conflict, which itself never officially terminated.

NTM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lads, lads, lads. You are missing the subtext of all this. This isn't about North vs South this is about Kim and his handover of power to his son. It keeps those close to Kim important and know what side their bread is buttered on add in a internationl conflict or at least the premise of it then everybody takes their orders in double time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag_the_Dog

amacachi wrote: »
    The North would overrun the South in days, but would then be pulverised.
    The US would have to defend SK anyway, isn't Seoul a pretty damn big financial centre? Let alone the perceived threat to Japan. I can't see the North being stupid enough to start something, unless KJI does it for a last hurrah if he's on the way out.
    I would reckon that the South have a rather large military themselves?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I would reckon that the South have a rather large military themselves?
    Actually, no. Not nearly as big as the North anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think it's all posturing. They both know the consequences of an all out war, and nothing will come of it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Actually, no. Not nearly as big as the North anyway.

655,000 active personnel. Another 3 million on reserve. Nowhere near as big as the North but has a very large advantage in technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

dlofnep wrote: »
    I think it's all posturing. They both know the consequences of an all out war, and nothing will come of it IMO.
    happened before (massive wars), we are not so learned since then either

Advertisement