Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That "Institute". What is it really?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Didnt suprise me that Herr Ganley would be mentioned at some point in this thread. Soon as the unlovely Caroline Simons reared her head:rolleyes:. If the govt hold a referendum on the Rights of the Child, these guys will oppose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

robindch wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder if that's linked to Declan Ganley's late flowering in the matter of hard-line religion early last year and his weird appearance at a far-right religious gathering in Donegal last year organized by an anti-abortion group and the "John Paul II Society":

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0209/1233867926979.html
    A meeting not unlike this one perhaps?
    http://www.mamanpoulet.com/now-lisbon-is-done-with-renew-go-after-civil-partnership/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

For the last eleven years Jackie Ascough has been practicing as a Fertility Care Practitioner in Killiney, Co. Dublin where she has worked with over 250 clients. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Radio/TV/Film from the University of North Texas.

Her qualification as a Fertility Care Practitioner was earned from The St. Joseph Healthcare Natural Family Planning Teacher Education Centre in St. Paul, Minnesota in the United States. Jackie is a board member of the Fertility Care Centres of Europe where she serves as the Public Relations Officer.

She also serves as a board member of Spirit Radio, the first National Christian radio station in Ireland. In summer of 2006 she co-hosted a radio chat show on Spirit FM.

Jackie lectures for Nurture Institute on the topic of psychosexual development of children 0-18. She is also involved with Nazareth Family Institute where she gives talks for marriage preparation concerning fertility and sexuality.

She has spoken at conferences held by HLI, Youth 2000, Pure In Heart and others. Jackie has appeared on RTE programmes such as PC, The Big Bite, Seoige and O’Shea, and the Late Late Show. She also is interviewed regularly on Newstalk and FM104. She writes a monthly column, Handing on the Faith, for the "Alive!" Paper. She also wrote for the "Voice Today" while it was in publication.

Jackie lives in Co. Dublin with her husband, Tom, and their six children Katie, Andrew, Hope, John, Christopher and baby due in February. They have home educated their children for the past seven years.
    studiorat wrote: »
    Aw no. You went and whetted my interest:

I'm amazed at her arrogance that she considers herself fit to educate children with a poxy media studies degree... Still I suppose they can buy their kids into one of the Catholic Madras' in the states at some stage.

Shes also involved in the Family and Media Association

http://www.fma.ie/index.php

I remember a few years ago she gave a presentation to the All Party Oireachtas Committee on the Constitution for the FMA - The man she was with from memory could not even say the word "homosexual"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RJJCH

Hi all, I'm new here. I arrived on this page while looking for something else entirely. But having nosed through the comments here I see a lot of anti Christian sentiment. I decided to sign up because I wanted to ask...can anyone explain why? I don't mean to stir or anything...just wondering why there seems to be so much angst against traditional religion and values? For example someone called studiorat calls a homeschooling mom arrogant because she home-educates her children and calls her college qualification poxy. What's that deal? What does studiorat know about the academic requirements for home-educating ones children?

Or is this actually meant to be a serious discussion forum......

Appreciate the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

RJJCH wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new here. I arrived on this page while looking for something else entirely. But having nosed through the comments here I see a lot of anti Christian sentiment. I decided to sign up because I wanted to ask...can anyone explain why? I don't mean to stir or anything...just wondering why there seems to be so much angst against traditional religion and values? For example someone called studiorat calls a homeschooling mom arrogant because she home-educates her children and calls her college qualification poxy. What's that deal? What does studiorat know about the academic requirements for home-educating ones children?

Appreciate the replies.

Lecturing on the psychosexual development of children should require more than a media studies degree.

And sentiment in opposition to a particular virulent strain of hyperconservative Christianity which seeks to circumscribe the rights of others isn't anti-Christian, it's anti-bigot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For example someone called studiorat calls a homeschooling mom arrogant because she home-educates her children and calls her college qualification poxy. What's that deal? What does studiorat know about the academic requirements for home-educating ones children?

While it is possible that she may have acquired the pedagogical and educational skills herself, if her degree mentioned above was the sole source of her educational skills then it would be fair to expect that she's not actually competent for educating her own children. She might surprise everybody but I think it's most likely that those kids had serious denial of opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Oh and just on d use of the word "tradition"; its a decent answer for a question like "how long has this been done" it is a piss poor answer to "why is this done?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Next time you order a Domino's pizza, remember where the money's going!
    Don't worry, I prefer to stick with local chippers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Appreciate the replies.

We've been asked why we get upset a lot of times, why we can't just let bygones be bygones, why we can just leave each to their own. We'd love to. It is the religious that keep trying to dictate how others live. The most prominent example for this thread being the strident opposition conservative Catholics have against gay marriage. Religious people feeling like they should dictate how other people live their lives. I won't go off on a whole rant...

because I did it before!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80166751&postcount=68

In addition: Atheists generally think religious people believe in crazy nonsense, and it is very hard to stay calm when the people you are talking to believe in utterly insane magical fairy tales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I arrived on this page while looking for something else entirely. But having nosed through the comments here I see a lot of anti Christian sentiment...

Appreciate the replies.
    With all respect, you need to address a particular comment within a thread. Feel free to engage with any thread and its content.

If you want to talk I've no doubt anyone will answer your questions specifically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Next time you order a Domino's pizza, remember where the money's going!
    Damn. I never expected A&A to lower my cholesterol.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

mikhail wrote: »
    Damn. I never expected A&A to lower my cholesterol.

Apache is better anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Whatever about people's preferences for Pizza's chains I think the choice of toppings could well determine who here are the true atheists. :D

Anyone that thinks fruit is a topping is out.

Atheism PLUS pepperoni

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Atheism PLUS pepperoni

Right- that's me out so.
    Anchovies and black olives all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

ShooterSF wrote: »

I like pepperoni and pineapple - does this qualify as one of my 5 a day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I've never eaten pizza...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tomatos are fruit. Just sayin'!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Dades wrote: »

Back in the day I was doing my apprenticeship in French Classical cheffing tomatoes were classified as 'fruiting vegetables' - it depends on the context the tomatoes are used in I suppose...

• Advertisement

I like pepperoni and pineapple - does this qualify as one of my 5 a day??

The poor pepperoni. If you live in America pizza counts as one of your five day anyways as its a vegetable.
    Dades wrote: »

I can only consume tomatoes in a paste or sauce form. No slices on the pizza though!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm pretty sue there's more sugar in that sauce than there is tomato...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

That's marginalising a whole section of society that enjoy pineapple. I strongly object to this and demand to know why it is suggested that I, and other pineapple lovers should being denied our fruit topping of choice? Huh? Come on, I want answers. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Obliq wrote: »
    That's marginalising a whole section of society that enjoy pineapple. I strongly object to this and demand to know why it is suggested that I, and other pineapple lovers should being denied our fruit topping of choice? Huh? Come on, I want answers. :mad:

Because some guy once said it was an abomination, and he said Charles Darwin told him to say that, so therefore, Charles Darwin definitely thinks pineapple on a pizza is an abomination.

And it just so happens that I agree with that, even though it hasn't influenced my own viewpoint in any way. That's just coincidence.

Penn wrote: »
    Because some guy once said it was an abomination, and he said Charles Darwin told him to say that, so therefore, Charles Darwin definitely thinks pineapple on a pizza is an abomination.

And it just so happens that I agree with that, even though it hasn't influenced my own viewpoint in any way. That's just coincidence.

"Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good Pineapple. They don't understand this message about the glory of fruit on pizza, which is the exact likeness of God."

I read that somewhere. Believe what you like about not having been influenced, I KNOW THE TRUTH.

Obliq wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »

Charles Darwin famously once said:
    I don't think people who like pineapple on pizzas are abominations

Obviously, out of context, this might appear that he doesn't really give a damn about people's pizza choices. However, if we take it in the specific context it was meant, we can see:
    people who like pineapple on pizzas are abominations

Obviously, I hate the choice of pizza you like, not you, who I love, so I will now go out of my way to make you living a normal life as difficult as possible.

LOVE THE SINNER, NOT THE SIN.

HolyPizzaLogo.gif

See? Darwin was just a theorist - the book of Citrus Fruits is the one truth.

HolyPineapple.bmp

Well, of course you should polish the pineapple.

Polishing one's pineapple is a sacred thing however the misuse of one's pineapple is a grave sin. Pineapple polishing should only occur in a loving marriage.

Putting a pineapple in your mouth- well, you should learn to respect yourself more, really. It's not natural.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Didn't Ray Comfort say something about pineapples?

Advertisement