Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house alarm system costs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

koolkid wrote: »
    Monitoring over IP is being looked at. Could be 12 months or more away yet.

What's the hold-up here? Surely all video monitoring is done this way at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

novice wrote: »
    What's the hold-up here? Surely all video monitoring is done this way at the moment?

He was not talking about video monitoring :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

I came on here hoping to get information on Home alarm installation and costs. I'm considering DIY job in my Daughters apartment as the quotes for one bed first floor apartment two windows two door 800, GSM extra 300 seem nuts. So what I see here are guys from the industry defending their industry with scare tactics, bit like roof fixers and the elderly. Basically I thought for home alarms there are either wired or wireless, monitored or unmonitored. If monitored either by monitoring company (ripoff Eircom) or yourself. If monitored either PSTN line or GSM. Scare talk about GSM in a domistic situation, for me is just that, scare talk. Radio links etc another way for the industry to grab more money from frightened hard pressed home owners.
    Apologies if I am over the top here but it is fustrating when all the companies seem to work together to make sure they all charge the same high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    I came on here hoping to get information on Home alarm installation and costs. I'm considering DIY job in my Daughters apartment as the quotes for one bed first floor apartment two windows two door 800, GSM extra 300 seem nuts. So what I see here are guys from the industry defending their industry with scare tactics, bit like roof fixers and the elderly. Basically I thought for home alarms there are either wired or wireless, monitored or unmonitored. If monitored either by monitoring company (ripoff Eircom) or yourself. If monitored either PSTN line or GSM. Scare talk about GSM in a domistic situation, for me is just that, scare talk. Radio links etc another way for the industry to grab more money from frightened hard pressed home owners.
    Apologies if I am over the top here but it is fustrating when all the companies seem to work together to make sure they all charge the same high prices.

Hi Gerry1995,

For the install you describe €800 is a lot. More like €500 - €550. Shopping around is the best thing to do.
    A GSM is expensive, the manufacture puts the price on this unit not the alarm companys.

With regard scare talk, You are just being made aware of the situation with regard the GSM, it is up to the customer if he/she wants a GSM installed but it is our obligation as installers to advise you of the situation.

All the installers on here give free advise with regard home security systems, saving a lot of people money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Gerry1995 wrote: »

You obviously don't read this forum often. Installers in here give lots of helpful honest advice and often spend a lot of time trying to help people who wish to go the DIY route. The make up diagrams and post engineers manuals etc. Really go out of their way to help and it's one of the most helpful forums on the entire site.

800 is expensive an apartment alright but the GSM is a good price as they are an expensive unit. Like all quotations, you should get a detailed list of exactly what you're getting for your money so you can compare like with like.
    So what I see here are guys from the industry defending their industry with scare tactics, bit like roof fixers and the elderly

Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement to make. We give advise based on our experiences from what we see day to day on the job. A lot of the time we are in peoples houses just after they've been burgled and see how entry has been gained so we recommend security solutions to combat that threat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement