Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house alarm system costs

Options
  • 24-05-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm currently considering installing a house alarm. We are living in the South East and some of the quotes we have got are in the range of €800-€900 with an additional €350 for a GSM pay as you go sim based system.
    The house has 12 small windows, front door, back door, french patio doors, and I would also be looking at 1 motion sensor for the hall.
    The house already has 6 core wire running to all the doors and windows so I hoping that would reduce the cost.

Any info/advice with regard to cost estimates would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anybody wants to recommend an installer in the southeast please feel free to PM me the contact details.

Regards
    Tommy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That price is not too far off the mark. Maybe you could get it to €700-€800.
    My recommendation would be a PSTN dialler insted of GSM . That would save you another €200 + call costs . I would not recommend GSM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm currently considering installing a house alarm. We are living in the South East and some of the quotes we have got are in the range of €800-€900 with an additional €350 for a GSM pay as you go sim based system.
    The house has 12 small windows, front door, back door, french patio doors, and I would also be looking at 1 motion sensor for the hall.
    The house already has 6 core wire running to all the doors and windows so I hoping that would reduce the cost.

Any info/advice with regard to cost estimates would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anybody wants to recommend an installer in the southeast please feel free to PM me the contact details.

Regards
    Tommy

About €800 is a far price. You wont get a reduction because the cables are there but if they where not you would be doubling the price of the alarm. All installer have to be PSA registered so look up there site to find a local installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately I don't have a phoneline in the house so a standard PSTN dialer is out of the question but might look at an ATA converter and a blueface account as an option.

Thanks for the tip on the PSA DB, i will have a look at that tomorrow.

Regards
    Tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

koolkid wrote: »
    That price is not too far off the mark. Maybe you could get it to €700-€800.
    My recommendation would be a PSTN dialler insted of GSM . That would save you another €200 + call costs . I would not recommend GSM

Why would you not recommend a gsm dialer?

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately I don't have a phoneline in the house so a standard PSTN dialer is out of the question but might look at an ATA converter and a blueface account as an option.

Thanks for the tip on the PSA DB, i will have a look at that tomorrow.

Regards
    Tommy

Your welcome,

If using any device to monitor your alarm make sure it has a back up power supply in case of mains failure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Merch wrote: »
    Why would you not recommend a gsm dialer?

Can't say much at the moment. You will have to trust me when I say they are not as reliable as they are made out to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

GSM diallers will be a thing of the past shortly. There are ways of easily disabling them externally. This a new revelation, and as Koolkid said don't waste your money on one. All monitoring company will soon cease using them and will go back to radio.

hmm ok, I was considering one, I've seen what looks like GSM dialler aerials in businesses, I'm assuming by go back to radio you mean they were used in the past? radio is just a different frequency to GSM, if by disabled, then can mobile phones be disabled also??

hmm ok, I was considering one, I've seen what looks like GSM dialler aerials in businesses, I'm assuming by go back to radio you mean they were used in the past? radio is just a different frequency to GSM, if by disabled, then can mobile phones be disabled also??
    Yes!

yes? to everything

• Advertisement

Yes radio was used before. But whats coming is newer & better.
    Yes mobile phones can be disabled.

At the moment the people willing/capable of doing this are not likely to be breaking into your average home.

Ironically enough the good old standard phone line might be the more secure option for monitoring in the near future.

Hmm.maybe its still suitable for domestic users? that will bring gsm prices down, I dont think anyone willing to be breaking into my house would be going to that level, but I'd still like to have that kind of system, dont have a telephone line and GSM seems like it would be cheaper, A PTSN can be disabled by someone just cutting the line anyway? unless there is a way the system can detect this is happening.
    If new radio frequency stuff is coming in then I imagine it wont be aimed at my price level (ie domestic customer) probably businesses.

Ironically enough the good old standard phone line might be the more secure option for monitoring in the near future.

Agreed, thats providing it is protected and not accessible to cut.

Hmm.maybe its still suitable for domestic users? that will bring gsm prices down, I dont think anyone willing to be breaking into my house would be going to that level, but I'd still like to have that kind of system, dont have a telephone line and GSM seems like it would be cheaper, A PTSN can be disabled by someone just cutting the line anyway? unless there is a way the system can detect this is happening.
    If new radio frequency stuff is coming in then I imagine it wont be aimed at my price level (ie domestic customer) probably businesses.

That will be up to the end customer really, all the pros and cons will have to be explained.

altor wrote: »
    Agreed, thats providing it is protected and not accessible to cut.

Yes I agree also.

There are ways to hide the cables coming into buildings, much more difficult with older building as most lines are ran over-head.

Tricky times ahead. There will be a lot of people/businesses who have been sold a GSM unit on the basis of it being very secure, they wont be happy.

As of last week we are not installing GSM units in any high secure locations.

Yes I agree also.

There are ways to hide the cables coming into buildings, much more difficult with older building as most lines are ran over-head.

Tricky times ahead. There will be a lot of people/businesses who have been sold a GSM unit on the basis of it being very secure, they wont be happy.

As of last week we are not installing GSM units in any high secure locations.

New business yes but new houses no, they go to all the bother of running the cable under ground only to bring it to a box at the side of your house :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

GSM would be fine for a domestic install where the emphasis is on home automation and SMS.
    This loop hole in GSM has been around for a long time and yet manufacturers are still pushing them. Leads me to believe that they do not test their products very well.
    When I asked a particular manufacturer about the testing of their new panel the reply I got was " Yeah me and xxx have them in our house for the past month". Enough said.

Don't kid yourselves this equipment is going to be easily accessible and cheap. Houses will be a target.

The equipment price should not be an issue if it is there to protect your property. At the end of the day as installers we can only advise customers whats there best option.

• Advertisement

Don't kid yourselves this equipment is going to be easily accessible and cheap. Houses will be a target.

So if the equipment to do this is available and cheaply, then there is no point in having a gsm dialler, and as most homes seem to have the phone line accessible there is no point having a dialler from a standard phone line either.
    It doesnt stop your alarm going off though? so you are as well off without one, there must be some defence against this for GSM diallers
    altor wrote: »
    The equipment price should not be an issue if it is there to protect your property. At the end of the day as installers we can only advise customers whats there best option.

No I guess the cost shouldn't be, but it depends on weighing the costs and how effective the equipment is compared to what losses you might suffer. If someone wants to get in they probably will. So this new radio equipment isn't likely to be any good to the domestic customer, if its new it will probably be expensive or aimed at businesses.

So if the equipment to do this is available and cheaply, then there is no point in having a gsm dialler, and as most homes seem to have the phone line accessible there is no point having a dialler from a standard phone line either.
    It doesnt stop your alarm going off though? so you are as well off without one, there must be some defence against this for GSM diallers
    Not as of yet there isn't . I am advising radio as the most secure form of monitoring from now on.
    Price wise the units will be dearer & so will annual charges. Depends how badly you want/need secure monitoring.

No I guess the cost shouldn't be, but it depends on weighing the costs and how effective the equipment is compared to what losses you might suffer. If someone wants to get in they probably will. So this new radio equipment isn't likely to be any good to the domestic customer, if its new it will probably be expensive or aimed at businesses.
    What losses you might suffer will always weigh more than the cost of any equipment IMO.
    Like I said it will be more expensive than GSM but whether its worth it is up to the individual customer. There will be no self monitoring option so there will be the added benefit of Garda response on confirmed alarms.

So this new radio equipment isn't likely to be any good to the domestic customer, if its new it will probably be expensive or aimed at businesses.

Not necessarily, There are alot of houses monitored by GSM only who need to be made aware of the situation. I am sure many of them would have no problem staying with the GSM but then there are many of them who will be more than happy to change for the added security it will provide. As i said it is up to the customer to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

Alright, now I'm really confused :confused:

I got a quote from PhoneWatch only about 15 mins ago for 1300 yoyos for covering the house, and 25/mth for monitoring (first year 18.75/month). This is for the GSM-based system, as we only have a VoIP phone and UPC broadband.

One concern I have is that where I live has cr@p cellular coverage - you have to stand on the piano with your left foot in the air on the second Tuesday of a month with P in it to get a signal, or go to road outside the house. How do they overcome this?

Also, in light of the comments above, am I mad to go with this option? How far off is this "new" technology? Is it next week or 12-18 months away? In other words, do you think I should hold off?

Also, I'd love the option of connecting the system to my LAN for web access/e-mail alerts etc.

What options do I have?

Any and all comments/suggestions gratefully received!

soSolid wrote: »
    Alright, now I'm really confused :confused:

I got a quote from PhoneWatch only about 15 mins ago for 1300 yoyos for covering the house, and 25/mth for monitoring (first year 18.75/month). This is for the GSM-based system, as we only have a VoIP phone and UPC broadband.

One concern I have is that where I live has cr@p cellular coverage - you have to stand on the piano with your left foot in the air on the second Tuesday of a month with P in it to get a signal, or go to road outside the house. How do they overcome this?
    The may use a higher gain aerial or an external aerial.
    Also, in light of the comments above, am I mad to go with this option? How far off is this "new" technology? Is it next week or 12-18 months away? In other words, do you think I should hold off?
    IMO yes you are. Also Eircom are being very irresponsible not to be informing you of any vunerability that they know of.
    New radio system for our station is about 5-6 weeks away.
    Also, I'd love the option of connecting the system to my LAN for web access/e-mail alerts etc.

What options do I have?
    SigNet will do this at the moment , but it can not send alerts out. Monitoring over IP is being looked at. Could be 12 months or more away yet.

Thanks koolkid!

One quick question about the new technology - if it's radio-based, does it not depend on high-power transmitters or a multitude of aerials around the country? Is it a radio link directly from my house to the monitoring station?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

It's a mesh network rather that a point A to point B topology

Thanks koolkid!

One quick question about the new technology - if it's radio-based, does it not depend on high-power transmitters or a multitude of aerials around the country? Is it a radio link directly from my house to the monitoring station?
    From Central Station to one main site & 10-12 repeaters . High power TX is not required.
    Jnealon wrote: »
    It's a mesh network rather that a point A to point B topology

Not the one we're going to be using. I don't like the mesh network. Its like a big zigby network. Fine in built up areas , but if your in an isolated area 1 or 2 people cancelling a service can affect many others.

From Central Station to one main site & 10-12 repeaters . High power TX is not required.

I don't quite follow - do you mean that each alarm monitoring company will have to build their own network to monitor alarms, or will it be a shared network?

• Advertisement

I don't quite follow - do you mean that each alarm monitoring company will have to build their own network to monitor alarms, or will it be a shared network?

Some have existing radio networks in place. So its more of an upgrade.
    The one we will be using is a new network.

Advertisement