Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To the morons in Allied Irish Windscreens

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, it went from bad to worse. Phoned this morning, spoke to the manager. Explained that I'm in the trade too, and I'm not out for blood, just for the damage to be corrected. He apologised, and said he would call me when he was onsite.

Got a call from herself at 12 to say he'd landed on to her workplace, and was basically saying it wasn't their fault at all. They blamed having the windscreen replaced 2 years ago - that you'd never be able to fit a new one on again properly, blamed the design of the car, you name it. They pretty much belittled her, and she got upset, phoned me and put me on to the guy I'd been speaking to in the morning.

He had changed his tune drastically, saying the A-Pillar trim must have been broken already, and his installer was adamant he didn't do it. Said the windscreen rubber was pretty much the same story - someone else must have done it, as the installer said it was a perfect job.

Long story short, explained to the guy that I spent 7 years working directly for MINI, and that I know what parts come off and get refitted for a windscreen replacement. He agreed to replace them - but still wouldn't acknowledge having damaged them in the first place. Now it's the waiting game to see when they're going to be replaced.

wyndham wrote: »
    Any pics of the shoddy work?

As soon as it dries I'll be taking photos just in case. Will post them here.
    wyndham wrote: »
    Any pics of the hot polish gf?

Funnily enough, there are pics on boards alright. Not telling you where though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Not telling you where though!!

Found in 60 secs....

(along with your new "best friend" with a flowers name)

Note to self: Boardsies are too damn fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Note to self: Boardsies are too damn fast.

Creepy how somebody with just a tiny bit of info can find out details! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

mullingar wrote: »
    I had to use (via my insurance policy) the local Allied Windscreen crowd.

They firstly tried to put on a IS200 windscreen onto my GS300 :rolleyes::rolleyes:, then when they finally came back with the correct windscreen, they "forgot" to put back on the trim piece around the mirror thats bonded to the windscreen :mad: and were going to throw out the rubber rain channels that are located on the outer corners of the windscreen :eek::eek:

I refused to sign the docket until the work was set right.

To ALL reading this, ALWAYS inspect the full windscreen job including the re-fitting of the panels/seals etc around the windscreen before your sign the docket.

If you sign that docket you are declaring that you are satisfied with the work!

Especially check the work.

Some of you might remember i had locked keys in car and had to smash in a side window to get them :o

Rang insurnace company they put me in touch with garage went through all the details said he'd be out the next day to fix it. I could not be there. Got a call to say there was a sensor he was not told about and would have to get that piece and would be back next day. I presumed it was the sensor that stops the window choppin your arm off. :rolleyes:

Next day I am at home with wife just out of hospital and new born son. Lad arrives out to do car. I give him the keys and he ploughs away. We had visitors over he comes back in with keys and heads on off.

I'm out in the garden few hours later and notice there is no window in the passenger side of car thinking he had maybe left it down i head up and try to put window up..........

To my fcuking shock the lunatic had only gone and replaced my front windscreen!!!!! Wtf!!!! The sensor was the rain sensor and there was not even a chip in the windscreen!!!

Now he got a serious bollickin when i rand him:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Leaving2010

i have just recently got my windscreen replaced by these m*rans.. they didnt put my inside mirror back on right, it had been put on with double sided tape..only to come flying off while i was driving ...in the past week i have heard of 3 other complaints about the same problem ...i would NEVER use them again ...haven't a clue what they are doing...

In the end I actually ended up going to the depot, collecting the trim piece, and fitting it myself. They'd made promises to call out and replace it but it didn't happen day after day. Took 3 weeks to finally get to the end of it all. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Had a bad experience with AIW also. I had to get my windscreen replaced and when I went to collect the car when it was done they lost my Tax, Insurance & NCT disks plus there was broken glass all over the seats and the floor. I got them to clean it up and while waiting for that to be done they found my disks in the bin out back, but that wasn't the end of things with them. The next morning I got into the car and on closing the door the new windscreen fell out :eek::mad:, had to get them out to redo it, this time the boss done it and thankfully it was done right.

Autoglass for me next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I worked with my buddy fitting screens last year, no matter what company fits them they are obliged to return to fix the problem without any hesitation or charge. Only a rush job causes all these problems and the fact that half the guys out there are trainees does'nt help. Also beware of cheap chinese imported screens, these companies buy them in bulk at rediculously low money and the quality is sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

I got a new windscreen fitted last friday from AIW and they came to my work no prob to fix it. When he came out i asked if he would be able to re-apply my L Plate and he said he would use a blade to take it off the old windscreen, that was grand but when i got home my OH was checking it out and noticed that a blade was just left sitting on the passenger seat, doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if my son got his hands on it. Also the trim round the edges is hanging off in places. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Had a bad experience with AIW also. I had to get my windscreen replaced and when I went to collect the car when it was done they lost my Tax, Insurance & NCT disks plus there was broken glass all over the seats and the floor. I got them to clean it up and while waiting for that to be done they found my disks in the bin out back, but that wasn't the end of things with them. The next morning I got into the car and on closing the door the new windscreen fell out :eek::mad:, had to get them out to redo it, this time the boss done it and thankfully it was done right.

Autoglass for me next time round.

Jesus, was that the one in Dundalk, Coes Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kellyseye

you dont have to use the approved repairer the are mostely only be trained in ring local companys the are better qualified are will always look after you better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Thanks a million, the car looks ten times worse than it did with a cracked screen.
    I can beat that :(

They replaced the windscreen in our Sunny GTI-R a few years ago through insurance. Knocked on the door when the job was done, all looked grand (no split or damaged trims visible) so I signed the docket and off they went.

Following night I was inside in work and had the wife's car so she could take the Sunny up to Cork city to visit her mother. Phone rings at 11pm with my wife in floods of tears - she's at the side of the Mallow-Cork road with flames coming through the bonnet vent and under the car too! :eek:

I high-tail it down the road, pop the bonnet and dump enough water on the fire to put it out. Limped the Sunny back to work (she was too terrified to drive it again) and waited till the morning and daylight to investigate.

They'd left the rubber seal from the bottom of the scuttle panel draped over the exhaust manifold. Once the car was up to running temperature this melted and ignited causing a lovely fire and scaring the life out of my wife.

End result was totally fire destroyed cooling fan, drivers side headlamp wiring shot, intercooler piping chrome finish scorched off, scorch marks on underside of bonnet, quarter of the radiator blocked up with re-hardened plastic (the remains of the cooling fan), second cooling fan no longer working due to temp sensor damage.

Knew damn well the cause of it all, but couldn't do a darn thing about it as all the evidence had literally gone up in flames :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Top Dog wrote: »
    I can beat that :(

They replaced the windscreen in our Sunny GTI-R a few years ago through insurance. Knocked on the door when the job was done, all looked grand (no split or damaged trims visible) so I signed the docket and off they went.

Following night I was inside in work and had the wife's car so she could take the Sunny up to Cork city to visit her mother. Phone rings at 11pm with my wife in floods of tears - she's at the side of the Mallow-Cork road with flames coming through the bonnet vent and under the car too! :eek:

I high-tail it down the road, pop the bonnet and dump enough water on the fire to put it out. Limped the Sunny back to work (she was too terrified to drive it again) and waited till the morning and daylight to investigate.

They'd left the rubber seal from the bottom of the scuttle panel draped over the exhaust manifold. Once the car was up to running temperature this melted and ignited causing a lovely fire and scaring the life out of my wife.

End result was totally fire destroyed cooling fan, drivers side headlamp wiring shot, intercooler piping chrome finish scorched off, scorch marks on underside of bonnet, quarter of the radiator blocked up with re-hardened plastic (the remains of the cooling fan), second cooling fan no longer working due to temp sensor damage.

Knew damn well the cause of it all, but couldn't do a darn thing about it as all the evidence had literally gone up in flames :mad:

Wow... I don't think anythings gonna top that! Shocking and could've ended a lot worse.
    You never know how people might react to flames/smoke billowing out of the bonnet, especially if they're travelling at speed on a motorway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Strangely, I think what annoyed me most was not so much that the car went on fire, but that not a single person stopped to help a woman on her own, at the side of a busy road, with a car on fire, at 11pm in the dark. And she would have been there a good 10 mins waiting for me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roo_photo

Top Dog wrote: »
    Strangely, I think what annoyed me most was not so much that the car went on fire, but that not a single person stopped to help a woman on her own, at the side of a busy road, with a car on fire, at 11pm in the dark. And she would have been there a good 10 mins waiting for me too :(

Pity my car was not there Top Dog - I had plenty of spare water thanks to AIW!

My experience can be summed up by water, mould, and rust. Car was so badly waterlogged after some very half arsed attempts at repair by them, that the AIW bloke used a stanley knife to cut out the carpet and underlay, and drive his van over them to wring them out.:mad:

They eventually assured me that windscreen had been removed and resealed completely. Over a year later more leaks were found, and it was discovered that the screen had had never been reseated/replaced (just made to look like it by trimming sealant away) - and the leaks were due to no primer being used and poorly applied sealant. Fantastic.

Advertisement