Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Match Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

PaulieC wrote: »
    The only person I'd give Lysters slot to is Dara O' Cinnéide - he's just very natural on TV, knows his stuff and most importantly he stays impartial

I wouldn't give him Lyster's spot, not yet anyway but I agree that he's very good. He definitely deserves more airtime anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Why do people get so hung up on what the panellists say?

It doesn't matter what they think or say, the only thing that does matter is what happens on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

An Citeog wrote: »
    I wouldn't give him Lyster's spot, not yet anyway but I agree that he's very good. He definitely deserves more airtime anyway.

Well I wasn't suggesting we give it to him tomorrow!! :)

If he were to be replaced in the future - O'Cinneide is the man I'd go to was what I was saying. He's probably the only pundit in RTE I have time for and that's not just because I'm a Kerryman. He just seems to be completely professional & unbiased which is refreshing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Michael Lyster is not a pundit, he's the presenter. Put Dara in there and you'd lose his punditry.

Des Cahill's problem is he thinks he knows something about sport.

Gophur wrote: »
    Michael Lyster is not a pundit, he's the presenter. Put Dara in there and you'd lose his punditry.

Not exactly - Lester debates points and brings up topics of discussion about the game. I've said before Dara always seems unbiased in his punditry but there's no rule against a presenter offering a view for the pundits to analyse

imo I really don't think he'd be wasted there

• Advertisement

Gophur wrote: »
    Why do people get so hung up on what the panellists say?

It doesn't matter what they think or say, the only thing that does matter is what happens on the field.

They analyse the game - point out facets of the play that influenced the game that people watching it may not have noticed watching it at first glance. I think the role of the panelists adds to the experience of a game - especially championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Des Cahill the last day really renewed my appreciation of Lyster.

Not that Cahill was particularly bad, I just think Lyster is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I notice today that TV3 have both provincial finals, and I'm pretty sure they also had the Leinster final. Anyone know how they managed to get 3 provincial finals?
    And will all quarter finals on be shown solely on RTE (and BBC for the Northeners)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

THFC wrote: »
    Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I notice today that TV3 have both provincial finals, and I'm pretty sure they also had the Leinster final. Anyone know how they managed to get 3 provincial finals?
    And will all quarter finals on be shown solely on RTE (and BBC for the Northeners)?

Tv3 had quarters last year.

Unfortunately. Drive you to drink so it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Unfortunately Tv3's coverage both broadcast and presentation quality leaves a lot to be desired.

There is no justification for any station be allowed belittle the GAA championship through using broadcast facilities from the 80s.

The biggest losers here are the viewers. HD has been the standard since the first GAA broadcasts in 2007/8.

RTE broadcasts are available in HD, TV3s are not, ever. This is unforgivable.

Look at the quality of the long distance shots. Muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

another little grievence about tv3, albeit one that only affects a small minority. i live in a rural area where getting the domestic channels involves the saorsat service. tv3 arent on saorsat meaning when they have games, anyone on saorsat misses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

Awful coverage of GAA by TV3 The ads seem to go on for nearly 10mins thank god BBC are showing the Ulster Final.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I've a feeling Ryle Nugent has something to do with TV3 having so many games. He only seems to have eyes for rugby, and with RTE being in D4 perhaps we will be seeing a gradual decrease of GAA on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

TV3 are pathetic. Their commentary is dry, repetitive and of a poor standard with little insight. The camera work can't track well (granted it's difficult with hurling but RTÉ manage it). Picture quality is sub-standard and the analysis is lacking. The station seems like it has sold its soul for money: they show a huge amount of ads, demonstrated by two batches of ads in five minutes before the game and went to five minutes of ads post-Ulster final missing out on celebrations and pitch invasions - bycotting traditions. TV3's only saving grace with regards to coverage is their good in-game statistics which are welcome in my book; RTÉ despite their largely excellent coverage generally don't touch too much on stats.

Normally I don't agree with monopolising but I'd be a happy viewer if RTÉ got the games or a provider which is of a high standard. I'm not alone, TV3 get scathing criticism online by a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Was shocked at how bad TV3's coverage was today especially when they went for an extended ad break at the full time whistle - what clown took that call. I know advertisements pay the bills but they missed a special moment with the outpouring from Monaghan fans - I wonder how many flicked to BBC and never turned back..

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

THFC wrote: »
    I've a feeling Ryle Nugent has something to do with TV3 having so many games. He only seems to have eyes for rugby, and with RTE being in D4 perhaps we will be seeing a gradual decrease of GAA on RTE.

That's impossible really. The GAA divided up the rights to prevent any one station having too much of the coverage.

They also reduced the number of games that could be shown massively.

It's the GAA who are responsible for what we get to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

More TV3 means less Ger Canning.

Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

TV3 are sickening, not just football but the station in general.
    They cram in 13 mins of ads before a game, 12 mins of ads at halftime then go straight to break at the final whistle!
    I tell ye one thing, if i was an analyst i wud love a job on TV3, 10 mins work..job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Infairness RTE's coverage is light years ahead of tv 3. anyone that watched the fiasco with matt cooper talkin to sideline reporter david brady this weekend will know what i am talking about, it was as if they were in different time zone's!!!

Although as a west clare man i cant stand marty morrisey, when ever there is a clare match on he goes into great detail to tell the viewer what bloody townland the player is from, or if the player has any conection with the county i.e " HIS FATHER WON A COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP MEDAL WITH COORCLARE BACK IN 1955"

when comentating on a dublin game a few years ago " AND THAT'S A WONDERFUL SCORE BY CAMERON DIAZ" as opposed to dublin's craig dias!!!!

So funny that there are a load of posts all over the Internet about how sh1t the coverage is on TV3. They've been bad for years. You'd think someone in power would have got wind of the public dissatisfaction.

I could never complain about Ger Canning or Marty or any of the boys on RTE when you look at the dose on TV3. Dara O'Sé is as wooden as be damn. Should stick to SeanieMac adverts. The Hayes lad beside him was as droll as well. Cooper's performance is indescribable.

The commentary team are shocking. Finnerty using every Cliché in the book. Canavan is just dour. You need excitement in the commentary box. With that you have the poor sound quality. Compared BBC with TV3 today. The crowd were heard on BBC, not so much on TV3. Therefore the viewer is detached from the occasion.

And then of course you have picture quality issues. No need to get into that. And the amount of ads just kill any interest in a game, it wrecks the buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

The BBC should cover the Ulster winners quarter final. Their coverage is light years ahead of the rest..

Although Paddy Bradley is way out if his depth on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Isn't the problem that TV3 have a very small budget and thus have to cut back on a load of facilities/have long add breaks.
    RTE gets the tv licence money and they don't- so the RTE have a much bigger budget.

In an industry based around technology- money makes a massive difference

Yeah but they take the biscuit with the ads.

They go and take one advert seconds before the game throws in. What's the point? It's not going to generate that much money. Just add it to the previous batch of ads. It pisses people off when they go and do that when they've just had a break about 30 seconds before that.

Thry started off yesterday interrupting the national anthem due to this break. They jumped the shark yesterday by not showing the Monaghan fans coming into the pitch. That's just clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The BBC should cover the Ulster winners quarter final. Their coverage is light years ahead of the rest..

Although Paddy Bradley is way out if his depth on tv.
    they will cover Ulster teams from the Quarter finals onwards according to an answer on their twitter.
    Its just the qualifiers (aka backdoor) which they have no entitlement to show as Premier sports has the worldwide rights outside the 26 counties.

Neeson wrote: »
    Yeah but they take the biscuit with the ads.

They go and take one advert seconds before the game throws in. What's the point? It's not going to generate that much money. Just add it to the previous batch of ads. It pisses people off when they go and do that when they've just had a break about 30 seconds before that.

Thry started off yesterday interrupting the national anthem due to this break. They jumped the shark yesterday by not showing the Monaghan fans coming into the pitch. That's just clueless.

The anthem? People at the matches don't even let the thing finish!

Jumped the shark?? You seem to have missed the meaning of the phrase as its more to do with idiotic gimmicks!

Look the way I see it is the more GAA coverage the better- TV3 are massively hindered by their small budget and thus cant offer the same kind of service as RTE.

If we want a level playing field then maybe we should give them some of the licence fee- the other option is less matches on tv and I don't want that.

Is there anything in the suggestion of the GAA setting up their own broadcast facilities and then selling the match rights to the stations- the GAA would then maintain control over this content and could use it to broadcast and promote outside of the country.

Before TV3 started into this it would have been on rte anyway. So why would it mean more games? The big ones will be shown and the GAA who have the power here should just tell TV3 to buck themselves up.

The point is they shouldn't be going for a break and just basically saying 'ok Monaghan have won, we'll be back after the break'.

It was a 25 year wait!

Before TV3 started into this it would have been on rte anyway. So why would it mean more games? The big ones will be shown and the GAA who have the power here should just tell TV3 to buck themselves up.

The point is they shouldn't be going for a break and just basically saying 'ok Monaghan have won, we'll be back after the break'.

It was a 25 year wait!

Was there as many games on when it was just RTE showing GAA?
    Was RTE 2 showing 3 per weekend? This isn't sarcasm because I cant remember but that would be a serious amount of one channels air time being taken up by one sport.

Also RTE have started to diversify into other sports so maybe they wanted to row back on coverage.

I really don't think missing people running onto the pitch is a big deal and they aren't meant to do it anyway! I do think that it does show the sheer emotion of the moment and it would be nice to capture but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I do feel that the TV3 coverage is not as good as the RTE coverage but that, in my opinion, is a question of money. Give TV3 some of the licence fee and see how they get on.

Are you dismissing my GAA media suggestion? I think it has potential and would mean the GAA controlling the quality level themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

So funny that there are a load of posts all over the Internet about how sh1t the coverage is on TV3. They've been bad for years. You'd think someone in power would have got wind of the public dissatisfaction.

I could never complain about Ger Canning or Marty or any of the boys on RTE when you look at the dose on TV3. Dara O'Sé is as wooden as be damn. Should stick to SeanieMac adverts. The Hayes lad beside him was as droll as well. Cooper's performance is indescribable.

The commentary team are shocking. Finnerty using every Cliché in the book. Canavan is just dour. You need excitement in the commentary box. With that you have the poor sound quality. Compared BBC with TV3 today. The crowd were heard on BBC, not so much on TV3. Therefore the viewer is detached from the occasion.

And then of course you have picture quality issues. No need to get into that. And the amount of ads just kill any interest in a game, it wrecks the buzz.
    Seems to be a regular problem. In the KK V Tipp hurling qualifierin Nowlan Park, the commentators were constantly on about the brilliant atmosphere but sadly this didn't appear so on TV, sound quality was very poor

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Seems to be a regular problem. In the KK V Tipp hurling qualifierin Nowlan Park, the commentators were constantly on about the brilliant atmosphere but sadly this didn't appear so on TV, sound quality was very poor

The sound quality that day was awful alright

• Advertisement

Was there as many games on when it was just RTE showing GAA?
    Was RTE 2 showing 3 per weekend? This isn't sarcasm because I cant remember but that would be a serious amount of one channels air time being taken up by one sport.

Also RTE have started to diversify into other sports so maybe they wanted to row back on coverage.

I really don't think missing people running onto the pitch is a big deal and they aren't meant to do it anyway! I do think that it does show the sheer emotion of the moment and it would be nice to capture but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I do feel that the TV3 coverage is not as good as the RTE coverage but that, in my opinion, is a question of money. Give TV3 some of the licence fee and see how they get on.

Are you dismissing my GAA media suggestion? I think it has potential and would mean the GAA controlling the quality level themselves

That's fair enough. I'd say even if TV3 had money they'd still fu.ck up.

I suppose showing a little bit of the celebrations is a bit much to ask alright.

Advertisement