Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Match Coverage

Options
  • 17-05-2010 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

it seriously needs something done to it. the panel is fine brolly/spillane,o'rourke but i think micheal lester is past his sell by date. really so boring and stale, the same questions and comments on each game IMO. put you to sleep.
    And as for the commentating on the games, its like a snooze fest. absolutely terrible. darragh maloney isnt bad in fairness. its just all so slow and boring and old. what do ye reckon needs doing ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You forgot Anthony Tohill. The worst pundit I may have ever seen. Won't say anything negative about anybody. Needs a kick up the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

You forgot Anthony Tohill. The worst pundit I may have ever seen. Won't say anything negative about anybody. Needs a kick up the arse.

i actually dont mind tohill, maybe its cause he was such a good player i go easy on him! the night time prog isnt as boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055659620&page=3
    Can't find that photo of the Monaghan (I think) supporters with the brolly is a tool banner. Classic!

Funny yesterday with the two boys picking on Brolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Starie1975,

That post just got you an infraction and I hope everybody else here takes note.

Please read our charter regarding abusing people.

smashey wrote: »
    Starie1975,

That post just got you an infraction and I hope everybody else here takes note.

Please read our charter regarding abusing people.

I was merely quoting another poster (see link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...5659620&page=3); I find it very harsh and inconsistent of you to give me the infraction when I was only quoting someone else.Is my crime to laugh at someone elses comment. You will find that I said in that post I said "Now Antony Tohill there's A Laochra Gael"
    However I will take my punishment on the chin. Sorry if I caused any offence to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

I think that most are doing a good job. The half time analysis is better than some matches being shown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I was merely quoting another poster (see link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...5659620&page=3); I find it very harsh and inconsistent of you to give me the infraction when I was only quoting someone else.Is my crime to laugh at someone elses comment. You will find that I said in that post I said "Now Antony Tohill there's A Laochra Gael"
    However I will take my punishment on the chin. Sorry if I caused any offence to anyone.

I'm guessing the infraction was for your elongated 'nickname' for Tohill in the previous post... ;)

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I'm guessing the infraction was for your elongated 'nickname' for Tohill in the previous post... ;)

Hi Ciaran,

I was quoting another poster, I wasn't the one who came up with the middle name or nickname. Please have a look at the old post. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055659620&page=3 post #42. I get done for quoting and the original poster gets away with it. :confused:

Starie

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Hi Ciaran,

I was quoting another poster, I wasn't the one who came up with the middle name or nickname. Please have a look at the old post. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055659620&page=3 post #42. I get done for quoting and the original poster gets away with it. :confused:

Starie

Apologies!

Actually, flicking through that thread, and people really get riled up about Joe Brolly (See here:
    bluefinger wrote: »
    Joe Brolly is a smug little siht who is gratuitously nasty about Dublin and provides no insight into the game other than apologising for the 'physical' side of football which he seems to believe Northern teams have invented.
    )

Personally, I haven't a problem with him.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Apologies!

Actually, flicking through that thread, and people really get riled up about Joe Brolly (See here:
    )

Personally, I haven't a problem with him.
    Right. That thread is from last year and i won't be re-visiting it now.

I did what I did yesterday and stand by it so can we all move on please?

• Advertisement

smashey wrote: »
    Right. That thread is from last year and i won't be re-visiting it now.

I did what I did yesterday and stand by it so can we all move on please?

I’m disappointed that you didn’t answer my post.

I can see that at first glance that my post looking like I was calling him names but it obvious that it wasn’t me, in my eyes you made in error in casting the blame on my shoulders. I was only pointing that that someone has a serious grip with Tohill. As I’ve said in my original post last year that I thought he deserved to on the panel after such a great career as a footballer.

The post (middle name) did make me laugh and if that my crime I willing to take it, But if I received an infraction on quoting someone then you are setting double standards.

I’ll move on now……………

Okay, what I've done here is reversed your infraction and removed that thread from last year (it is visible to mods only) so that nobody else will be referring back to it.

So we have a clean slate here now on this thread and let's keep it that way.

So, much ado about nothing then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

lester gives it a personal swing and it seems as if hes not reading it from a script unlike alot of people...like bill o herlihy imo (spelling?)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Michael Lyster is a hero and a gent. He's excellent at his job and quite witty. I wouldn't get rid of him for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Mick Lester is a giant of a man in every sense isn't he 6'5 or something

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

Lyster is brilliant in his role, in comparison to a similar situation with bill oherlihy on the soccer panel who imo is cringeworthy, lyster knows his stuff, thought the panel were good today, their comments will no doubt fire up tyrone for the campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Lyster is brilliant in his role, in comparison to a similar situation with bill oherlihy on the soccer panel who imo is cringeworthy, lyster knows his stuff, thought the panel were good today, their comments will no doubt fire up tyrone for the campaign

The whole RTE soccer panel is cringeworthy, particularly Dunphy but RTE seem to love the controversy and ratings that come along with it. Bill O'Herlihy's role is really just to feign ignorance and ask leading questions that he knows will set Dunphy off on one of his rants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Michael Lyster a great anchorman. Keeps it together well. Always remember the time Marty Morrisey said to Seamus Moynihan "Michael Lyster called you a stopgap" and when they returned to Lyster he replied "and there's Marty landing me in it again". Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Spot on SOTS, Lester is a great anchorman, just like Bill is for the soccer. Hes a bit of an institution actually, it wouldn't be the same without him.

He's a gent in real life as well, quite happy to chat away if you bump into him on a matchday or out for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Des Cahill's on instead of him this afternoon and there's absolutely no comparison between the two. He's doing my head in already.

Speaking of which, I hope to god the football going to ET doesn't mean we're missing the start of the hurling!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I didn't think I could like football any less, but hey theve now ruined the hurling coverage....Hope TV3 get more games next time out as they do a much better job of it. Didn't something similar happen last year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yup,I agree. If the Tipp Cork game is delayed due to this poor football game then I will demand my TV licence be refunded! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭mattock

If ye think The brolly is hard to listen to, try switching over to BBC2 and listen to Oisin "ye know" McConville he would put you asleep without rocking Ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mattock wrote: »
    If ye think The brolly is hard to listen to, try switching over to BBC2 and listen to Oisin "ye know" McConville he would put you asleep without rocking Ye know.
    I switched on the BBC for a few mins today for the Donegal v Down game. The commentator was the worst I've ever heard, never moved off the one tone for his commentary. Sounded like he was reading from a script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The hurling panel on the other hand are some shower of heroes. Loughnane was unreal today: "He had them driven ballistic."

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Marthaa

I love Lyster, actually think the man is the biggest legend ever :D That Des Cahill is some mong altogether, Lyster shouldn't be allowed days off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Cahill twice in the one day is a bit much alrite! He's grand on the Sunday game, but missed Lyster today for the live match.

In a thread that normally gives out about RTE, seems they used a bit of influence there to delay the hurling in Cork by 15 mins. Was the right call and gave viewers the chance to see both games live. So fair play to them on that one.

Now just please give us back Lyster for next weekend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Stevecw wrote: »
    In a thread that normally gives out about RTE, seems they used a bit of influence there to delay the hurling in Cork by 15 mins. Was the right call and gave viewers the chance to see both games live. So fair play to them on that one.

Don't think it was just the football being late, I thought I heard on the radio that it was delayed to help get the crowd into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The only person I'd give Lysters slot to is Dara O' Cinnéide - he's just very natural on TV, knows his stuff and most importantly he stays impartial

Advertisement