Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITB Computer Society

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Actually that cascading style sheets may have some merits to it.

Just thinking about it now... but we could stick up a png of a site,
    or take a populour site and get people to compete to make as close a clone of it as possible.. without using their code.. obviously functionality wouldn't feature in it, but the idea itself seems interesting :D -jots down notes-

oh yes heheehehhe thanks for the idea muahhahahah

Also the minecraft server is now open to the public.... check it out by clicking on the minecraft logo on our site.
    Make sure your signed in first,,, if you don't have an account you can register and play on our server and many others for free.

On your first login you can't build anything, however the server nearly always has one of the tragically addicted admins present and they can grant you builder privileges ;D for a beginner zone.

Not sure if it's working inside the college yet, but other servers were so it'll only take some fiddling if it's not working on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

brendanL wrote: »
    Actually that cascading style sheets may have some merits to it.

Just thinking about it now... but we could stick up a png of a site,
    or take a populour site and get people to compete to make as close a clone of it as possible.. without using their code.. obviously functionality wouldn't feature in it, but the idea itself seems interesting :D -jots down notes-

oh yes heheehehhe thanks for the idea muahhahahah.

I think I just had a nerdgasm! :rolleyes: You're on to an interesting idea. However if it was a complicated site, prizes would have to be far more substantial though....for example, I get PAID to do that shizz lol...so I shan't be doing the same for a copy of Alone in The Dark :P. However if it was just a simple site, people with experience would have huge advantages.

But indeed, you're on to something. Naturally if it's a hit I shall claim to have had the idea first and proclaim that you're a damn thief!! :pac:;)

Also if you have people doing original work, there may be copyright issues...as in the work wouldn't be copyrighted and as such people may not be up for just giving it up....so to speak :S

PS Just came accross a slight problem. Doing any PHP work is nigh impossible on the compsoc PC's. Localhost appears to be running team chat or w/e that is. Also the firewalls block any local Apatche servers anyway, making progs like xammpp etc redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Guy's are we good to go with the live feed for tomorrow ? if its sorted can you let me know the url so I can send a mail out to all students to let them know

Guy's are we good to go with the live feed for tomorrow ? if its sorted can you let me know the url so I can send a mail out to all students to let them know

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/itb-compsoc-stream-for-photosoc-football-for-charity-event

Just set it up and tested all the stuff at home on my xp machine.
    If all goes to plan for some of the event I can wander around and broadcast it right from my phone, and for later just leave it running dedicated up on the veranda.The camera I got off louise wasn't listed on any site, so I dug around and found one in my room ;D. It's not amazing quality but it's certainly watchable, I've no idea if there's any sockets up there.
    With a bit of luck there is, if not I'm gonna have to improvise tomorrow on the spot ;D.

Adds are displayed before you get to watch the video, but due to the colleges restrictions I've a feeling this method is the only one thats going to work due to ports being blocked.
    Also I just noticed a grammer issue in the description box ;D I'll sort that out tomorrow on the spot when I have times and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FenJai

Offline mode on steam is running on PC's 1-5 without a hitch. L4D2, CSS and TF2 are all working as well, although L4D2 requires you be be online to host a LAN game. Im working on some dedicated servers so people wont have to host their own and what not.

COD has been re installed on 2 of the PCs but I might need to wipe all the profiles because they keep getting reset.

Digiweb have got back to us about the internet issue and we're in talks with the SU about sticking an antenna on the veranda beside the common room. Yay free internets !

Our shadow is transferring to a different college this month, so we're in dire need of a replacement. This is opening is mainly aimed at first years because of the learning experience available but we'll also consider any other year as long as they're eager. There's not much needed in the line of requirements so don't be afraid to talk to myself or Ice about it.

Lastly were waiting on some new hardware to touch up the minor stuff in CompSoc before we concentrate on the bigger upgrades. Expect to see new keyboards, mice, mouse mats, and some other bits soon. After that we want to replace the CRT monitors with shiny new LCD's and some new graphics cards.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/itb-compsoc-stream-for-photosoc-football-for-charity-event

Just set it up and tested all the stuff at home on my xp machine.
    If all goes to plan for some of the event I can wander around and broadcast it right from my phone, and for later just leave it running dedicated up on the veranda.The camera I got off louise wasn't listed on any site, so I dug around and found one in my room ;D. It's not amazing quality but it's certainly watchable, I've no idea if there's any sockets up there.
    With a bit of luck there is, if not I'm gonna have to improvise tomorrow on the spot ;D.

Adds are displayed before you get to watch the video, but due to the colleges restrictions I've a feeling this method is the only one thats going to work due to ports being blocked.
    Also I just noticed a grammer issue in the description box ;D I'll sort that out tomorrow on the spot when I have times and such.

Bren that is FANTASTIC !! Big Thanx to u guy's if PhotoSoc can ever help you out with anything you've only got to shout

KonFusion wrote: »

PS Just came accross a slight problem. Doing any PHP work is nigh impossible on the compsoc PC's. Localhost appears to be running team chat or w/e that is. Also the firewalls block any local Apatche servers anyway, making progs like xammpp etc redundant.

LoL there are people in the college who would be startled to hear that CompSoc's turning into a place were people actually do better in college because they go to it XD. However, it is something we want to promote, this problem is similiar to the css one. We can hopefully just stick wamp on the pc's, add a firewall exception, to circumvent any of these problems. Pretty soon we should have internet/work pc's dotted around the common room ;D. These should have access to anything that's on the 'gaming' pc's and possibly more stuff such as open office and so on, morphing us into some mental internet cafe/gaming center thingy ;D.

LoL there are people in the college who would be startled to hear that CompSoc's turning into a place were people actually do better in college because they go to it XD. However, it is something we want to promote, this problem is similiar to the css one. We can hopefully just stick wamp on the pc's, add a firewall exception, to circumvent any of these problems. Pretty soon we should have internet/work pc's dotted around the common room ;D. These should have access to anything that's on the 'gaming' pc's and possibly more stuff such as open office and so on, morphing us into some mental internet cafe/gaming center thingy ;D.

You think big....I like that :D

Btw sent you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 UberGeneration

is there any starcraft / world of warcraft going??

• Advertisement

We dont have Starcraft or World of Warcraft on compsoc but we do have minecraft . . .

Minecraft is a game about placing blocks while running from skeletons? :D

anyway.. i think it would be a good idea to get starcraft leagues going? would be fun anyway :) maybe on a custom map as well :eek:

Minecraft is a game about placing blocks while running from skeletons? :D

anyway.. i think it would be a good idea to get starcraft leagues going? would be fun anyway :) maybe on a custom map as well :eek:

Some of the PC's have Warcraft 3, disc required.

warcraft 3 was a great game! i cant believe there arent more starcraft / world of warcraft in itb :) thanks anyway!! :)

There are some avid StarCraft 2 players around (like myself) but its not installed on compsoc. Its not been cracked yet and we dont have money to buy legit copies.

However, find a copy of Starcraft 2 we can run and I will personally kiss you :D

FenJai wrote: »
    However, find a copy of Starcraft 2 we can run and I will personally kiss you :D

Careful of the beard rash....:P

• Advertisement

From what I remember and from what Ats has told me. Sc2 and Sc1 have very little differences between them, yes the graphics in 1 are ****e compared to todays standards, but it's just as addictive and fun to play :D. I'll talk to Ats and see if we can stick atleast Sc1 on the LAN over the christmas.

Which brings me to my next point :D. All our budget upgrades have been delivered, graphics cards/mice/keyboards, and yes the keyboards arrive clean shockingly ;D. Were not installing it all until the christmas break. Were leaving it until then as we can actually dedicate an entire day to sorting everything to an acceptable state, go over the LAN, rein-stall everything to make the pc's clean and use a network ISO image, so installing stuff on all pc's in the future is easier.

Personally, I can't wait to use a shiny new keyboard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

<snip>

Mod: And again Drodan, you already started a thread on it which everyone who uses this forum will see (especially since it has the word 'beer' in it). No need to derail other threads.

Okey dokey, some new tech was added to the LAN over the christmas... and brand new shiny keyboards/mice are being put out as soon as semester 2 starts. Purely because we want to be around when they are out. Were working on setting up a ghosting image distribution system to make our lives easier that should be happening during the week were off after exams.

Next up is some random facebook challenge! ;D

Not sure what it's gonna twist into, no real clues on the challenges..

which start tomorrow
    http://www.facebook.com/hackercup

so what is it?

it's the hackercup, I'm guessing it's gonna involve some basic editing of html and messing with javascript for the first round (ie looking at a pages's source then seeing what mucking around you can do).

Not sure if I can linky to a site that teachs that stuff so pm me if your interested.

Anyways... all you need is some facebook and to register today ..it starts tomorrow. Godspeed gentlemen ;D

Okey dokey, some new tech was added to the LAN over the christmas... and brand new shiny keyboards/mice are being put out as soon as semester 2 starts. Purely because we want to be around when they are out. Were working on setting up a ghosting image distribution system to make our lives easier that should be happening during the week were off after exams.

Next up is some random facebook challenge! ;D

Not sure what it's gonna twist into, no real clues on the challenges..

which start tomorrow
    http://www.facebook.com/hackercup

so what is it?

it's the hackercup, I'm guessing it's gonna involve some basic editing of html and messing with javascript for the first round (ie looking at a pages's source then seeing what mucking around you can do).

Not sure if I can linky to a site that teachs that stuff so pm me if your interested.

Anyways... all you need is some facebook and to register today ..it starts tomorrow. Godspeed gentlemen ;D

Turned out to be far from hacking XD.... writing a for loop was reallly hard XD.. got tough towards last rounds and unfortunately ran out of time :(
    No idea why they called it hacker cup...had absolutely no relevance

Turned out to be far from hacking XD.... writing a for loop was reallly hard XD.. got tough towards last rounds and unfortunately ran out of time :(
    No idea why they called it hacker cup...had absolutely no relevance

Probably to attract all the l337 haxorz :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Probably to attract all the l337 haxorz :rolleyes:

Indeed, amazing marketing campaign! ...they're super effective!!! XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Some of the PC's have Warcraft 3, disc required.

Update it, then it will be launchable without the disc. Well the frozen throne does anyway.

Xios wrote: »
    Update it, then it will be launchable without the disc. Well the frozen throne does anyway.

Yup, forgot about that. Works over LAN with the one disc too. Sure if I get a chance I'll throw it on them. Counter-Strike portable is also in the CS Dropbox. It's launchable as an .exe, can be run from the dropbox, and works on LAN for anyone interested. I thought I'd throw it up while we're waiting for compsoc steam/internetz to be sorted out.

Update for last week or so:

Our Chief Advising Officier and all round all star itb hero vinnyirl.. has managed to get us the oppertunity to attempt to gain our own room.

Now this is all up in the air currently, but CompSoc has been trying to achieve a room ... well since it was started up about 11 years ago ;D.

If we manage it, the oppertunity it presents will allow us to do some great stuff with the LAN, try out new things, leave things in fixed places, as well as expand on a grand scale.

If it all goes arse up I'll be moping around the college .... so it should be pretty obvious if all goes well ;D

Other then that.. internet wise... were pretty much placing our bets at the moment, yes it is taking an absolute age... almost as long as trying to get a room XD. However, I feel the room situation comes first, so it'll be taken care of, then we're right back on obtaining some purty internet ;D

I'm not sure what the general feedback will be, but I'm thinking of doing an all night minecraft thing... or something on a Saturday involving compsoc/ minecraft.. see what happens to a perfect little minecraft world after a few hours of our existance in it ;D.. I'll post more once I talk to the other lads and iron some details out.

Whats with the second PC from the end of the compsoc LAN? IE and safari both hang as soon as you open them ??

Whats with the second PC from the end of the compsoc LAN? IE and safari both hang as soon as you open them ??

I'll take a look tomorrow morning.. but ermmm why would you even use internet explorer when firefox is sitting right there all nice and ready? :D I assume it's having some problems too. I'll take a look regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Update for last week or so:

Our Chief Advising Officier and all round all star itb hero vinnyirl.. has managed to get us the oppertunity to attempt to gain our own room.

Now this is all up in the air currently, but CompSoc has been trying to achieve a room ... well since it was started up about 11 years ago ;D.

If we manage it, the oppertunity it presents will allow us to do some great stuff with the LAN, try out new things, leave things in fixed places, as well as expand on a grand scale.

If it all goes arse up I'll be moping around the college .... so it should be pretty obvious if all goes well ;D

Other then that.. internet wise... were pretty much placing our bets at the moment, yes it is taking an absolute age... almost as long as trying to get a room XD. However, I feel the room situation comes first, so it'll be taken care of, then we're right back on obtaining some purty internet ;D

I'm not sure what the general feedback will be, but I'm thinking of doing an all night minecraft thing... or something on a Saturday involving compsoc/ minecraft.. see what happens to a perfect little minecraft world after a few hours of our existance in it ;D.. I'll post more once I talk to the other lads and iron some details out.

Good news Bren about the room :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

any sign of the minecraft server being up again? I have exams coming up, so I need a distraction :p:p:p

So whats the committee for this coming year?

/curiosity

I be the CEO, mr Van shinners is the CTO and Andy carroll is the CFO.

Probably going to snatch a few first years and get the shadow thing going again. Hopefully try for about 4 of them to do the easy stuff like facebook and so on.

• Advertisement

I be the CEO, mr Van shinners is the CTO and Andy carroll is the CFO.

Probably going to snatch a few first years and get the shadow thing going again. Hopefully try for about 4 of them to do the easy stuff like facebook and so on.

van shinners?

Good man James. Congrats on the promotion to Supreme Nerd Overlord. Might I suggest an initiation for new first year members, such as The Leap Of Faith, or The Paddling of the Swollen Ass...With Paddles?

Sounds good anyway.

I'd be interested in helping out, esp with regards to grinds/tutorials for first years in Java/C/Web Dev if that'd be an option. I know the CS socs in trinners, UCD and DCU help out firsties, and with the large drop out rate in CS even in first year, it could go well. Even if it was just a supervised study or some such.

I'd also be very much up for hosting some "How to build and host a website", "Build your own PC" and "Laptop and PC repair/maintenance" classes, be it not just for CS students but for anyone interested (assuming they were comp soc members). Or maybe even some "CMS's for Dummies".

I'd also be up for programming competitions. I know thats been mentioned before (and would prob have to be limited to what year the person was in, as 4th year cs students would obv be better than 1st years) but I'd love to see it go ahead this year. Esp if some prizes could be sourced, even if they were cheap, it might motivate some people to put in that extra bit of study/effort.

Might motivate me to work a little harder myself :pac:

I was actually thinking of starting up a magic the gathering soc to boost my nerd cred but using it as an initiation sounds interesting.

Also, more events and such is always a good idea. We actually have the year planned out in terms of events but there are a few gaps Im looking to fill, so I may call on your services.

Also, more events and such is always a good idea. We actually have the year planned out in terms of events but there are a few gaps Im looking to fill, so I may call on your services.

Great! I'd be more than happy to help out :)

Also what happened to itbsu.ie?

Someone forget to pay the bills? :P

itbsu.ie hostage is handled by the su... 100% likely they haven't paid for it this year.. already poking them about it.

itbsu.ie hostage is handled by the su... 100% likely they haven't paid for it this year.. already poking them about it.

Haha, thanks for the reply Brendan. Was just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Atspulgs

Just opened a new compsoc Minecraft server. Runs a bunch of plugins that enhances the gameplay and protects your builds.

Address: 94.23.202.197:25568
    Players Supported: 50
    Permissions: Need builder permissions to interact with the world, can be obtained only by joining and asking them.
    Leave a message with "/mail send Atspulgs Please allow me to build" command. Syntax /mail send <playername> <text>
    Optional support: Spoutcraft - http://www.spout.org/

I'm planning to keep managing the server as long as it exists so it should be up to date within a day or 2 after major updates.

For any questions or suggestions please contact me instead of compsoc seats. Either send a mail in Minecraft server or email me... i dotn use boards much.

Contact Info: atspulgs@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galdikas

Hey.. Just wondering.. Does CompSoc do anything else but play games in C block?

Because I have joined in september.. And havent heard anything about it since, except for CoD4 competition lol

We did try to get more events going, however getting the time to organise and run them was a little tricky for the officers and myself. Assignments do pile up very quickly if you aren't careful.

That said, I do want to improve on that for next year. We have a word doc filled with ideas and Im going to try use that to avoid timing issues next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galdikas

Cool.. is that doc top secret, or would it be possible for me to take a look at it?

Because if there is something there that is of interest for me, I might be able to help with it or something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Atspulgs

Well once again, I have sneakishly opened a compsoc minecraft server. I am looking for a person that in compsoc to take over its maintenance as i dont plan to look after it forever. The last one closed down cause i lost interest in updating it. Hopefully we can avoid it this time.
    Heres the info anyways. Current CEO of compsoc be aware, i shall call you one of these days to discuss this matter :)

ITB Computer Societys Minecraft server is back!
    Server Name: ITB CompSoc Minecraft
    IP: 37.59.46.115:25565
    Host: Dedicated server
    Whitelist: No
    Slots: 20 (Can be widened)
    Allocated memotry: Min/Max 2 GB [!]
    PVP: On (Theres time and place for everything)
    Type: Survival
    Mods: GriefPrevention[1], Gringotts[2], NoCheatPlus, TrophyHeads, ChestShop[3], RankSuit[4].

[!]Will scale with user slots. Each players estimated memory availability in case of a full server is 100 MB each which is 20 MB more than minimally required. Memory allocation will scale depending on these figures, therefore 30 slots will become 3 GB and 50 slots will become 5 GB.

[1] Available after reaching rank "Young" obtainable after 30 mins of game play. Blocks for purchase and sale after reaching rank of "Regular" obtainable after 2 days of gameplay. Claim blocks are earned with time regardless of rank. Claim block price: 10 blocks = Iron ingot.
    [2] Its an item based economy with focus on emeralds. However uses gold and iron as smaller currency too. 1 Emerald = 10 Gold Ingots and 1 Gold Ingot = 10 Iron Ingots.
    [3]ChestShop dupe unavailable! Right clicking on sign wont open the chest!
    [4]Still being tested! In case of ranking up and still not having the right permissions, contact server administration.

*For regular players a spot at spawn may be available for use.
    **In case of bugs and trouble in the server please contact me , Atspulgs, here on boards. Suggestions always welcome!

Note: Server maintenance planned for the next half a year. In case the server is closing down, I'll put the map up for download so your builds wont be lost. The link and information will be posted here.

Advertisement