Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ITB Computer Society

• 14-05-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Thought I may as well make a thread for CompSoc.

For any info ask a question here...
    or check out our site cs.itbsu.ie

We run a 10 pc LAN in ITB's C block commone room.
    This year we secured Steam gaming platform cafe licenses
    so there should be plenty of crack playing l4d2,l4d1,... all the css's and all the rest of the games valve make...

The societies current top game is CoD4..

So stop by and join and have a good game 24/7

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Welcome to boards Brendan :)

Edit: Also WOOOO COMPSOC etc!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Might aswell give good ole compsoc a bump!

Is Steam set up? And by steam, I of course mean counter strike! :pac:

None of this COD crap *shakes fist in the manner of an elderly man*

Also while I'm here, whats the deal with the ITB SU website? I take it you(Brendan) took over? It looks like....no....NO! It looks like you wrote the site yourself....no CMS??? YOU CRAZY!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

As usual nothing is simple, were hoping to get our own dedicated internet connection, to allow steam to be online 24/7. However we can play l4d, l4d2 and css at the moment but only on the lan :(.

yeah I got dragged into the new su site the other day :( ... and it does have a CMS ;D just not an off the shelf one. I think I'll name it charlene... yesss *pats website* XD

I should put a powered by 'Ice' logo at the bottom ;)

brendanL wrote: »
    As usual nothing is simple, were hoping to get our own dedicated internet connection, to allow steam to be online 24/7. However we can play l4d, l4d2 and css at the moment but only on the lan :(.

yeah I got dragged into the new su site the other day :( ... and it does have a CMS ;D just not an off the shelf one. I think I'll name it charlene... yesss *pats website* XD

I should put a powered by 'Ice' logo at the bottom ;)

Thats cool, I only want to play on LAN.

Charlene is a perfect name. Makes me think of an ugly redneck.... ;)

Joomla that shiznit! I should put a powed by Joomla logo on my bottom :D:p

Anyway, thanks for the speedy reply good sire! If you need any help let me know.

Mailing list is taking a while to setup this year with so many members...

so keep your eyes peeled on the compsoc website http://cs.itbsu.ie and the forum for latest news at the moment.

A new wifi network has been added to the society... if you have the same games as what's played on the LAN and the pc's are all busy... you can hop into the games using your laptop, most students are armed with them these days, and there generally powerful enough to handle most games, if your planning on turning up with cod4 literally right after reading this, make sure your running the latest patch 1.7 to join games on the LAN from your laptop.

In other news! ;D
    Steam is imminent, l4d, l4d2, tf2, css, litterally all valve games will be available to play on the LAN within the next few days, and once it arrives and funding is transfered, we shall be taking ourselves online ;D on our own internet connection, as battling with the college network has proved to be a waste of our time in the past despite ours and the IT depts best efforts.

In similiar news! ;)
    The colleges wifi is dire of late, but CompSoc is always open to people who need to surf the web... members only of course ;D very handy if your in c-block a lot or your just to lazy to find a lab... afterall why bother wandering from room to room, or hopping from foot to foot in the library when compsocs here ;D

In completely unrelated news!
    We have already been approached by a number of undividuals who are interested in joining the shadow council, if your interested come up to the LAN at lunch time any day to talk to Brendan(me) , James or Toms.
    The same applies if your interested in joining the society or if your a member already but your friends want to sign up, stop by at lunch anyday to guarante nabbing one of us.

That's all for now!

• Advertisement

We have already been approached by a number of undividuals who are interested in joining the shadow council,

Do ya get to wear a cloak?? I can supply my own cowl! :pac:

On a more...em...on topic note; What ISP ya going with? Also any idea on the speeds your hoping to get?

PS. Get some compsoc people on here...I'm the only person to reply to this thread lol

yeah the rest of them just love lurking around the boards XD

Interms of ISP.... whichever we can, literally! We talked to a guy today in person from ermmmm across the campus ;D you can guess where, and things seemed pretty optimistic.. I don't want to say their name yet until it's deffinate ;D

Also yeah you can wear a cloak, that way you get to be a shadow member and look cool :cool:

Yeah once the list of members is updated properly I'll send a mail out asking them to get on here ;D. We usually just commuinacate with our members through a series of complicated hand signals ;D... nah I guess it's just because people can talk to us nearly 24/7 on the LAN that there not too bothered about leaving messages here... ahwell we shall see ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm in the Comp Society, and I'm a long time poster on boards.

I'm Eoin, if anybody remembers me. I also got a few of my friends to join the comp society, now I'm lucky if theres even a seat to play these days.

Enjoying the Comp Society, good fun.

Yeahn were VERY full at lunch time these day's.

Tomorrow I'm gonna rein-carnate the bottom three off rule.
    It used to regulate itself last year, look's like were going to have to make sure people know about it and follow it this year during busy times.

Alternatively just connect to our wifi if you have a laptop to join in.

probably best to post your gamer tag here then your real name... I know half of our members by their tag rather than their real name XD

probably best to post your gamer tag here then your real name... I know half of our members by their tag rather than their real name XD

Mine would be Shano mate:)

• Advertisement

heheheheh well I'm Ice.... generally my reputation proceeds me... in a bad way XD
    must add that to my post sigs ;D

Aye mate, new you were ICE. Alot of the new members ain found of playing with yourself and Atsplug:P, I find it fun. Getting used to the setup, as every gamer knows their best setup is the one at home:)

yeah apologies for that XD.

Yeah myself and Ats always agree that your own setup.. no matter what it is or how much it cost... is always better, as it's yours, and you know how to use it best. I think the same is said of archery, have you own bow and your instantly more comfortable and better with it.

Were putting some effort into uniforming the society's setup this year starting with new mice and keyboards for all the pc's so everyone's on a more even playing field.

Aye sounds good, do you play any other games, at home? I kind of gave up the computer gaming at home and went to console, FPS is fail with xbox joypad:(

Yeah I play literally everything that I can get my hands on,

at the moment I'm trying out the medal of honour beta..
    it seems like a very good extension of battlefield bad company 2
    the more I play the more I like it... although I still remain skeptical on whether or not I'll buy it.

also my inner child can't wait to get it's hands on lego universe at the end of the month ;D

Obviously I can't wait to get my hand on... you guessed it the biggest hyped up game I think the world has ever had to endure for so long before it's release... black ops ;D

Starcraft2 is my latest obsession, with dead rising 2 coming a close second... the amount of weapons it has ingame put's left 4 deads variety to shame.

I also play css, l4d, l4d2, mw2, cod4, cod waw, and anything that involves shooting stuff ;D.

if you have steam add me my tag is [GD]Ice

I actually started off as much more of a consol gamer but Compsoc lured me back to the glow of the desktop.

Actually this has given me an idea... I might start an ezine for compsoc... rating all things techy and latest game release's reviews and where to buy local to blanch for best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FenJai

Whats that ?
    Talk of CompSoc you say ?

*fwosh*

CTO here to continuously tweak the PCs and make sure the gum and rubber bands still hold !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Atspulgs

Hey lads! Bren literally spammed me on steam just now to get my arse in here so here i am.

So yeah about the access point to compsoc lan, ask bren to add your mac or anyone else to take it for you and you can join as soon as its added to the routing table on the router.

Oh and speaking of games, I am the one who plays **** loads of strategys like civilization series and settlers series also stronghold and all the blizzard games with exception WOW. Speaking about L4D and L4D2, the new patches are just WOOOOOW theres loads of campaigns now on l4d and l4d2. So bren me and hughsy are planing on getting together and play till we die :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey brenden, check the boards.ie starcraft community, it's realy taking off, regular weekly home grown tournemants, it's good craic tbh :)

Also, i'm trying to track you down so i can join compsoc again. Got a list of times your are around the machines? Can't recognise ya without your hair lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Atspulgs

I can mostly speak for myself, but i may be there on tuesdays from 1 - 4, wednesdays most likely 1 to whenever i decide to leave, thursdays 11 - 12 and then 2 to whatever again, fridays after 1 again.

Im usually in khaki pants and very loud and doing something on compsoc, like messing with music or doing some other crazy stuff, that is if im not kicking someone's ass :P

yeah just wander up and ask anyone on the pc's if brendan's around... or Ice ;D. Fenjai or myself can sign you up and add you to the server on the spot.

Your best bet is stopping by at a lunch time 1-2.
    I'll be on the pc's tomorrow at 1 as I have to pickup a headset off Fenjai. I'll probably be on there for the majority of monday too... most other days lunch time is the best bet. Just look for the guy with really short hair... as opposed to really long ;D. I'll probably be waving a linksys router around XD

lately the society seems to be sporadically full of people online who want to use the internet... this is fine as it gives them something to do when there's not enough people around, also people aren't bothering to go look for free pc in a free room or even the library...so were half morphing into an internet cafe while it's quite.

Usually when numbers hit above 3 sitting down or more games are fired up ;D.

• Advertisement

BTW, Im setting up a group outing to this thing called Gamer Expo. As the name suggests, its a gaming expo so expect a lot of exhibitions with gaming involved. The website doesnt offer much detail but expect to see stuff like Kinect, Gears of war 3, Black ops, and so on.

Theres also LAN parties and tournaments happening for both consoles and PC. All the stuff is their own gear so you dont need to bring any hardware. So far only Starcraft 2, Ruse and Street Fighter 4 are named in the line up but I would expect favorites like COD4, CSS, Quake, etc to show up as well.

The whole thing lasts the Halloween weekend but to keep costs down we're probably going to go for one day, most likely the 31st for the cosplay day.

Price wise its €10 for a day ticket but I want to book ahead because its probably going to packed and I dont want to leave anyone out.

There seems to be a good bit of interest for this so Ill start asking people for money next week.

FenJai wrote: »
    BTW, Im setting up a group outing to this thing called Gamer Expo. As the name suggests, its a gaming expo so expect a lot of exhibitions with gaming involved. The website doesnt offer much detail but expect to see stuff like Kinect, Gears of war 3, Black ops, and so on.

Theres also LAN parties and tournaments happening for both consoles and PC. All the stuff is their own gear so you dont need to bring any hardware. So far only Starcraft 2, Ruse and Street Fighter 4 are named in the line up but I would expect favorites like COD4, CSS, Quake, etc to show up as well.

The whole thing lasts the Halloween weekend but to keep costs down we're probably going to go for one day, most likely the 31st for the cosplay day.

Price wise its €10 for a day ticket but I want to book ahead because its probably going to packed and I dont want to leave anyone out.

There seems to be a good bit of interest for this so Ill start asking people for money next week.

Dammit James, I'm in work that day, AND it's halloween, AND it's my birthday.... lame

and I loves the cosplay so muchhhhh :(

The expo closes at 6 on halloween so people can still head home early and get ready for a night out.

You can miss work for one day. Just call in sick.

So sorry you have to work dude! Will miss you terribly!

...hehehehe.....

So sorry you have to work dude! Will miss you terribly!

No problem dude. I appreciate it!

I'd take the day off, but I'm supervising as both the managers are taking the day off, so i can't....it sucks :(

Thats odd, I dont remember writing that . . .:p

That sucks man. At least you're coming out on halloween night then right ?

Thats odd, I dont remember writing that . . .:p

That sucks man. At least you're coming out on halloween night then right ?

Of course! It's my birthday! I may have a party, may go out. Maybe both! lol. Not sure. Was thinking of getting a big outdoors marquee and having a party in work (lets not mention where that is on here :P)

Meh I dunno. Anyway, lets not derail this thread too much. Facebook me if ya here of anything cool happening halloween night.

Good article on building a PC for $200

Could be a good idea for a compsoc event.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368583,00.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Hey guys,
    Last year, there was a one off photoshop class given in ITB (I think by the comp soc but not 100% sure) If it was you guys, do you plan on doing it again this year? I wasnt able to attend it last year!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

crazyderk wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Last year, there was a one off photoshop class given in ITB (I think by the comp soc but not 100% sure) If it was you guys, do you plan on doing it again this year? I wasnt able to attend it last year!
    Thanks

It wasn't the best TBH however I'm planning to give a talk in PhotoShop and its free alternatives (gimp etc.) soon for PhotoSoc so keep an eye out on here for more details soon

• Advertisement

crazyderk wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Thanks

Just like every year we plan on giving a talk on Photoshop, we will be taking a look at GIMP as I had to use it for a web dev company over the summer, and the things other free tools can achieve this year.

This years talk will be different, it'll cater for complete beginners with some advanced stuff thrown in at the end.

While the topic of this talk caters more towards the interests of the photography society, it also applies to us as we are computer society, ie we cover anything to do with technology. Not just how to use the software, but the technology's involved, the best specs in a monitor for photo editing and also advice on how to compress large images for the web, whilst maintaining quality.

As to when this talk will actually take place. Probably the second week after we come back from the midterm, if your a member keep your eyes peeled on your student mail for more info around that time.

Advertisement