Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repulsed by housemate

Options
  • 13-05-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This guy that I have the misfortune of sharing a house with, is absolutely disgusting.

Apart from the fact that he is just plain dirty, ( paw marks around fridge and doors)
    I cannot fathom his logic:

Its a beautiful sunny day outside, slightly windy, and he chooses to put his clothes in the dryer. And the tumble dryer is going for a good 2 or 3 hours, drying round after round of his washing.

This to me is PURE LAZINESS.

Anyone else agree? or am I just overreacting. ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

moveme wrote: »
    This guy that I have the misfortune of sharing a house with, is absolutely disgusting.

Apart from the fact that he is just plain dirty, ( paw marks around fridge and doors)

Its a beautiful sunny day outside, slightly windy, and he chooses to put his clothes in the dryer. And the tumble dryer is going for a good 2 or 3 hours, drying round after round of his washing.

You sound like an nightmare to live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Repulsed is a strong word to use based on a few 'paw prints' and overuse of the tumbledryer. I agree with the above poster that it is unfair is he is not contributing more for the tumble dryer use becuase it is pricy. Apart from that well at least he is washing his clothes!:)

It sounds like you are selective about the type of person you live with and thats o.k. but I wouldn't go calling people repulsive just because they don't measure up to your standards.

Maybe consider getting a place of your own of looking for somewhere else to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Tell him how much the dryer costs and if he wants to use if for hours at a time he can pay more for the electricity bill - dryers eat up electricity.

What if he decides the OP is watching more TV, should the OP pay more for that? It's BS; when you house share, you split the Bills, tough sh!t if he's not happy, tbh. Nobody is forcing him to live with this guy.

OP, you can't expect to move into a house with other people and with a tumble dryer, and expect to decide who can, or can't use it.

The amount of people who choose to live with others, and then complain about every little thing they do, blows my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Having lived with a horribly disgusting housemate in the past, I can sympathize with the OP. Sometimes situations mean it is neither financially nor practically possible to just "move out".

If he is being horribly messy, not cleaning up after himself, say this to him. Just because he is paying rent etc does not mean that everybody else has to put up with living in filth. Yes he can use the tumble-dryer if he wants (even if it is lazy), but he cannot force people to live in a dirty house. He has a right to use the dryer if he wants, but he also has a responsibility to clean up after himself. Tell him face-to-face if there are issues regarding cleanliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

When you share a house you can't dictate who uses what when. If you try to keep tabs on it and watch out for everything he does chances are he'll laugh you off as a pain in the ass and you'll be the only one stressed over it.

I used to share with someone like you. If I had a longer shower than usual she'd complain, while leaving the emersion on overnight. :rolleyes: I kicked her out after a few weeks. She was unbearable.

• Advertisement

Actually, it's not BS at all. I have lived in many houseshares in my time and there has always been an understanding to not use the dryer too much as it literally chews up electricity. It is the only appliance that I've ever been wary of using for this reason. No-one I've ever lived with has had a problem with that either as we've been aware of the cost.

It's one thing to dry a pair of damp jeans, it's another entirely to have it going for hours and hours drying load after load of washing.

there may have been an understanding in your house, but that doesn't make it universal. that's this guy's home too, and if he's messy, then hard luck.

I have certain opinions on house sharing, having done it once, for 3 months: not everybody is compatible. sometimes not even close. If you're foolish enough to move headfirst into a house with a stranger, then expect some ups and downs.

This other guy is probably sensing an atmosphere from the OP, and feeling bad vibes and wondering what the hell he's done wrong (that's what happened me, because I didn't live strictly by my former housemate's values).

Having lived with a horribly disgusting housemate in the past, I can sympathize with the OP. Sometimes situations mean it is neither financially nor practically possible to just "move out".

If he is being horribly messy, not cleaning up after himself, say this to him. Just because he is paying rent etc does not mean that everybody else has to put up with living in filth. Yes he can use the tumble-dryer if he wants (even if it is lazy), but he cannot force people to live in a dirty house. He has a right to use the dryer if he wants, but he also has a responsibility to clean up after himself. Tell him face-to-face if there are issues regarding cleanliness.

Paw marks around the fridge and doors is not living in filth. Let's get a grip on reality, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

davyjose wrote: »
    Paw marks around the fridge and doors is not living in filth. Let's get a grip on reality, please.

If is a very big word in that sentence. If does not equal fact.
    If he is being horribly messy, not cleaning up after himself, say this to him.

I was using the OP and assumed he was not liked due to overall messiness. He said paw marks around the fridge etc. If the etc means general messiness, then that is not really acceptable. There is nothing wrong with looking for basic cleanliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I always use the dryer no matter what the weather, but usually just for stuff like my underoo's and socks. When I shared a house I didn't like leaving those things out to dry, even though they were clean etc. I just didn't like having them where people could see them.

T-shirts and the like I leave out to dry naturally all the time.

Do you use the iron OP? The reason I'm asking is because he could argue that it's totally unnecessary too. I realised a few years ago that if I just hang my clothes up to dry after they're finished in the washing machine, all the creases come out naturally. No need for an iron.

The dirty marks aren't that nice though that he leaves around the place, but it depends how bad they are. The odd scuff mark here and there is unavoidable unless you go around with your body covered in bubblewrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Over reacting big time, maybe he needed the clothes quick. Trust me this is a very small issue I would hate to see how you would be if you had an actual dirty housemate and trust me i've had a few that would make this guy look like a god.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Actually, it's not BS at all. I have lived in many houseshares in my time and there has always been an understanding to not use the dryer too much as it literally chews up electricity. It is the only appliance that I've ever been wary of using for this reason. No-one I've ever lived with has had a problem with that either as we've been aware of the cost.

It's one thing to dry a pair of damp jeans, it's another entirely to have it going for hours and hours drying load after load of washing.

Generally this is true, with the tumble dryer only be used at night. But I wonder did the OP say anything or just keep quiet, getting more and more annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I always use the dryer no matter what the weather, but usually just for stuff like my underoo's and socks. When I shared a house I didn't like leaving those things out to dry, even though they were clean etc. I just didn't like having them where people could see them.

T-shirts and the like I leave out to dry naturally all the time.

Do you use the iron OP? The reason I'm asking is because he could argue that it's totally unnecessary too. I realised a few years ago that if I just hang my clothes up to dry after they're finished in the washing machine, all the creases come out naturally. No need for an iron.

The dirty marks aren't that nice though that he leaves around the place, but it depends how bad they are. The odd scuff mark here and there is unavoidable unless you go around with your body covered in bubblewrap.

an iron wouldnt use a fraction of the electricity a tumble dryer would, I wouldnt iron a tshirt I was wearing under something but not ironing pants or a shirt is just pure and utter laziness tbh.

We dont have a dryer in the new house and I'm delighted, it was too tempting to put bedclothes and stuff into it, now I just hang them out, but me and my flatmate rarely ever used the dryer in our old flat, purely because it chugs electricity in a huge way. Its a double edged sword tbh, he can easily turn around and tell you to stop leaving lights on or turn off the tv or your pc when not being used, its the perils of splitting bills, you cant put a definite usage on everything so you just have to grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, it sounds as if there is more to this matter than meets the eye. Can you elaborate further on what has been going on in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

Jesus, he uses the dryer more than he should. He's hardly picking his ass and wiping his finger on the wall :rolleyes:. Give the guy a break OP or get your own place.

I lived with mates for years. You wouldn't believe some of the filth i was subjected too but its part of growing up and dealing with different types of people and their bad habits of which i'm sure i've a few as well.

I once woke up in the middle of the night and went into the kitchen to get a glass of water and slipped on a leaking (if you know what i mean) used condom. When i mentioned it the next morning, the mate who had used the condom just laughed and said "watch your step next time". Absolutely disgusting stuff at times so count your blessings OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

You sound totally uptight and unreasonable. I lived with someone like that last year and it ruined what was meant to be a nice year in Belgium. She'd give out if she found a few dry grains of rice on the floor that I'd missed, or if I used my hairdryer for too long in the mornings. Some people just shouldn't live with others. I mean, do you think you never annoy him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Well, if it was just a couple small things - like the dryer - you could talk to him in a 'helpful' manner and explain that drying is expensive and wears clothes down much faster, so he's probably better off hanging them up. Hanging them outside can be a pain though tbh in this country since in rains so much. I just use an inside rack.

Honestly though, you just sound incompatible - I'd move in with more finicky people like yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

Well as someone who house shares, i've never heard of being asked not to use the dryer or to watch it. If someone said that to me I'd tell them to f off. I've always used a dryer, and my bills are no higher than my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I moved in with a person like you, not too long ago. When that person objected to my use of the tumble tryer, I referred that person back to their Daft ad for their house, in which they advertised the tumble dryer, and I informed them that I wouldn't have even considered moving into a house in which I didn't have full access to a tumble dryer.

God I am so so so SO very glad I am out of that horrible place, with that horrible stingey owner. Much much happier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have talked to this guy. WASTING MY BREATH. HE needs education. OR to be brought back to when he was three years old and given the correct parenting that he obviously missed out on.

I am not unreasonable.

This guy is 25 years of age. I am now in my 30's , all grown up, and I don't consider having to put up with people like this part of growing up. He is a grown MAN but lacks the most basic standards of Hygiene.

Found a bag of squirming maggots in the back garden at one stage.

This is not just a bad habit, its a health and safety issue.

Grandmaster: I don't use the iron all that much, Only occasionally.

Irish CRX: the guy did not need the clothes immediately.

Parkerkent: I have told him face to face about the issues I have with his disgusting behavour, but I have wasted my breath. The man needs re-education.

Left alone for long enough he would probably actually live in his own ****.

Were not talking about 5 star housekeeping here, just basic basic basic levels of hygiene and good home economics, and the lack of them , in the person I have to share a kitchen , the place where I eat, with.

*vom*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

moveme wrote: »

i got 2 loads of washing dried today inc towels and sheets

how thick is he it was blaring outside today, it seems to me like he just wanted to sit on his arse n watch tv rather than even venture outsede for a sec

would u not ask him why hes wasting money when theres free air outside that can do the job in the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

op i think you need to give us a bit more info........cause from all you ve said, he's guilty of only three things,; using the dryer, not washing his hands before he opens the fridge, and keeping pet maggots in the garden. could have been worse, they could have been in the fridge (which would have explained the mucky finger prints on the door !) maybe he's a fisherman on the side. when he ****s in the sink, get back to us, cause at the moment you're just coming accross as anal (in the hygenic sense of the word !)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

This whole thread is cringe. OP get a place to yourself !

Mini vom wrote: »
    I have talked to this guy. WASTING MY BREATH. HE needs education. OR to be brought back to when he was three years old and given the correct parenting that he obviously missed out on.

I am not unreasonable.

This guy is 25 years of age. I am now in my 30's , all grown up, and I don't consider having to put up with people like this part of growing up. He is a grown MAN but lacks the most basic standards of Hygiene.

This is not just a bad habit, its a health and safety issue.

Grandmaster: I don't use the iron all that much, Only occasionally.

Irish CRX: the guy did not need the clothes immediately.

Parkerkent: I have told him face to face about the issues I have with his disgusting behavour, but I have wasted my breath. The man needs re-education.

Left alone for long enough he would probably actually live in his own ****.

Were not talking about 5 star housekeeping here, just basic basic basic levels of hygiene and good home economics, and the lack of them , in the person I have to share a kitchen , the place where I eat, with.

*vom*

some people are just dirty and live disgusting lives.They do not seem to realise it and seem phobic about soap and water. Live on your own, nothing like it

Betteporter, The picture you have painted is truely hilarious.
    And sesna , I can agree with you that this whole thread is cringe.
    I'm not going to find any solutions here to the problem.

I don't pay the bill anyway. So he can run it up all
    he likes.what do I care.

/Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Sounds to me like u need your own place OP. Theres always going to be compromise with people you live with. From the information you've given in your post, this housemate shouldn't be causing you so much grief. It might irritate you personally but it's hardly disgusting behaviour. Definitely need to look into renting on your own.

It's very hard for us to give you advice when we can't understand why you're so irritated with him. However if they're are other things going on you've not mentioned maybe we're wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

mini vom wrote: »
    I don't pay the bill anyway. So he can run it up all
    he likes.what do I care.

If you don't pay the bill then leave him to his own devices....sure what do you care if he wastes his own money. Might be stupid and uneconomical but as long as it doesn't affect you let him.

Could the maggots have been for fishing?

You should deffo get a place on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mini vom wrote: »

*vom*

Bag of maggots? as in gone off food left and now swarming with them? or an actual bag of maggots? as was already said could be for fishing, tbh theres a lot more unsavoury things than some maggots in your average back garden, its not like they were in the fridge.

were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I suck at hanging up clothes. I'd have used the tumble drier. Also, no need to worry about rain, etc.

When we grow up and start living with other people, we realise that we and them have come from different households with different ways of doing things. Maybe they never used a clothesline in his house. I lived with a guy who, if you made tea and toast for yourself and finished the toast before the tea, would insist that you get up and wash and dry the plate before finishing your tea. Each to their own.

As for the maggots, it's not really a health and safety issue, it's just a bit manky. It's not like he's keeping them in a pot marked ''Jam: Safe for Consumption'' in the cupboard.

There's probably a few things you do that drive him mad / make him think that you're bananas. Best to try and stay out of each other's way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'd gladly take that guy over a housemate I had a couple years ago.

Dirty dishes in her room for months, when she finally washed them, they had mould on them.
    Forgetting to flush the toilet after she went (no 1 and 2)
    and worst of all
    Used tampons tossed on the bathroom floor beside the bin.

So I think you need a sense of perspective here OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I´m really curious as to why there´s a bag of maggots in the back garden though haha. That post made me laugh out loud, OP. I´d say try and have a sense of humour about the whole thing. It´s all you can do with things you can´t change.Take off the anal hat for one minute, read back on your post and try and find some humour in the situation. Maggots in the backgarden in the plastic bag...but WHY? Is it just me or does anyone else think that´s hilarious? Brilliant...

Advertisement