Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Football Games

Options
  • 12-05-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

With the World Cup coming up I was thinking - what are your favourite retro footie titles?

Everyone knows FIFA and ISS/Pro Evo so let's scratch those.

One of my favourites was Nintendo World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Cup

I played it recently again for the first time in years, and it was complete nonsense, but still fun. It's 6 v 6 but you only control one character, however when your team mates are in possession you can press pass or shoot and they'll umm.. pass or shoot.. (Pass "I can't" Shoot "OK!").

there were no free kicks either, so when you rough housed an opponent they'd stay down for ages.

Each team had a different special move as well, or super shots, which are kinda tricky to pull off!

220px-Nintendo_World_Cup.png

anyone else have any favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Sensible Soccer on the SNES
    Got hours of enjoyment from it.
    Remember the first time seeing it and thinking this looks crap.
    Played it and was hooked, brilliant gameplay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I loved nintendo world cup, fantastic game. I was just playing it a week ago with a few friends... memories...

Other classics for me are Match Day 2 on the CPC464, USA 94 on the SNES, sensible soccer and Road to World Cup 98 on the PS1, that indoor 5 a side pitch was the best thing ever in a fifa game, ISS Deluxe on the SNES as well.

But my all time favourite (even though now it's a bit dodgy) was FIFA international Soccer on the snes. The first snes game I bought, saved up for ages to get it after inheriting a snes with no controllers. Unfortunately I still didn't have any controllers so I just sat and watched the game run a demo for ages... till my parents caved and got me a controller as an early birthday present.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Having played International Soccer on the C64:

Microprose Soccer was a great step up:

But the best retro footy game by far is SWOS on the Amiga:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

World Wide Soccer was considered absolute rot I thought?

Sensi on the Amiga and ISS Deluxe on the Mega Drive and SNES were the last footie games I enjoyed. I just don't get football games and can never enjoy them. NHL games and american football games always translate well though.

Nothing beats Speedball 2 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

raddo wrote: »

The textbook example of a graphically weak game blowing the competition away in terms of fun/gameplay. Cracker of a game. Simple & to the point...almost arcade like in its simplicity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Super Sidekicks 4

Power Goal

Football Champ

Love them all!
    I guess I could also add Virtua Striker. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I remember liking Actua Soccer for the PS1 a lot. I used to play with South Korea all the time and had 8 players playing up front in a kind of 'V' formation. Worked wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 razbee

italia 90 for the sega mega drive ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Roar wrote: »
    With the World Cup coming up I was thinking - what are your favourite retro footie titles?

Everyone knows FIFA and ISS/Pro Evo so let's scratch those.

One of my favourites was Nintendo World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Cup

I played it recently again for the first time in years, and it was complete nonsense, but still fun. It's 6 v 6 but you only control one character, however when your team mates are in possession you can press pass or shoot and they'll umm.. pass or shoot.. (Pass "I can't" Shoot "OK!").

there were no free kicks either, so when you rough housed an opponent they'd stay down for ages.

Each team had a different special move as well, or super shots, which are kinda tricky to pull off!

-anyone else have any favourites?

Nintendo World Cup was my favourite as well, have it on gameboy as well, though it's a complete mess on that. Was one of the 'Kunio' sports titles in Japan (which is the reason for the River City Ransom style visuals), and an update is being released soon on the DS, though apparently under a rather different name:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/15/river-city-soccer-hooligans-screenshot-kickoff/

Other than that I love Sensi Soccer as well

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

raddo wrote: »

Exactly right, it was so playable. I think I'd have to say Sensible Soccer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

two words,

sensible soccer

that is all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Anyone remember Goal! on the amiga? It was a Sensi rip off for sure but I remember getting a 'moves' sheet with a magazine. It listed a load of tricks you could do by holding the fire button and holding the joystick in a certain direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I played this a lot as a kid cause it came with the 6-in-1 cartridge bundle:

I don't think you could say it has aged well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i played the **** out of italia 90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

another one just came to me as i was reading this thread..

Street Gang Football on the Amstrad..

This was on one of the Codies "Quattro" tapes (think this was on the football pack).. Street football with added violence. Win!

street_gang_football.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Italia '90 on the Mega Drive is the first football game I ever played, looking back now it's awful ****e but it was plenty fun back in the day. Still have no idea why Ireland wasn't included, ****ing travesty.

I played every FIFA on the Mega Drive, I was very lucky to get them each year as they came out. They got very samey after FIFA 95. I also had European Club Soccer which was a unique game, you could pick just about any European team, the level of detail was impressive. You could see the ref and linesmen and the stadium and the crowd looked convincing.

I had some money saved up around the time my brother lent me his Playstation and I bought International Superstar Soccer Pro for it, it was a huge change from playing FIFA for years. The gameplay was really challenging, another excellent game is ISS Pro Evolution.

I had played FIFA '98 RTWC with a friend and we played that one summer straight, we would always try to get Ireland qualified all the way. They could have made that game so much better if you could randonmise the groups but it really is just a cash-in, the gameplay is poor now.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 was the game that still impresses me the most, and I am at the moment playing Pro Evolution Soccer 6 which is my favourite so far.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Italia '90 on the Mega Drive is the first football game I ever played, looking back now it's awful ****e but it was plenty fun back in the day. Still have no idea why Ireland wasn't included, ****ing travesty.

Ireland didn't have a pro(per) team until Italia 90! It was only a fluke that we qualified for the Euro '88. Not really that much of a travesty really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

But we did qualify for Italia '90 and it was no fluke!

We almost came close to Qualifying to another tournament in the 80s, think it was a European Championship as well but we failed.

I was thinking about this thread earlier about the Fifa games these days. Are any of the football games from the PLaystation or that gen played much? I can't imagine many people think back to like Fifa 2002 and say "ah yeah that was great". I can't tell them apart. It's the same with these yearly released games with few differences between each title. There's some gains made of course but.....

• Advertisement

I still play ISS Pro Evolution frequently. Deadly game.

The voices for the commentary are fairly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The only football game I ever play. The cart came with my cab :) It's a good bit of fun.

Never was one for sports titles though. Always found them a bit of a yawnfest. I can kick a ball around outside...can't fly a spaceship and steal cars. Well, I probably could but it wouldn't last very long.

Augmerson wrote: »
    I still play ISS Pro Evolution frequently. Deadly game.

The voices for the commentary are fairly bad.

the commentary on ISS 64 was amazingly bad...

midfielder... pass to.... defender... HE'S GOING ALL THE WAY.. he's created a run here... BRAZIL.. have.. WON A CORNER

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Versus Net Soccer is the best football game ever.

a horrible vision just flashed before me..

Adidas Power Soccer...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I remember a football game on the Game Boy but it wasn't World Cup. It was a similar looking game but it had more teams including Ireland.

There was a game on the Playstation called Libero Grande where you only controlled one player on the pitch. I only played a demo and never got to see what the full game was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

Kevin Toms Football Manager on the commodore 64, marathon week end sessions.

I remember a football game on the Game Boy but it wasn't World Cup. It was a similar looking game but it had more teams including Ireland.

There was a game on the Playstation called Libero Grande where you only controlled one player on the pitch. I only played a demo and never got to see what the full game was like.

I remember reading about Libero Grande and the idea seemed interesting but I never saw it around, so I never played it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh how can Striker not be talked about one of the best footy games on the Snes

And SuperSoccer

Advertisement