Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I never want to work again

Options
13»

Comments

As you are no doubt thinking the more you know about actual horse racing the more sense it makes, I don't go with the whole gambling on horses is maths theory, and I have a degree in Physics so maths don't frighten me. I think you need to know lots about horse racing and know a little maths to undertand are you getting value or not :)

I'm half thinking of writing a book about betting on the horses, I need to make a good lash out of betting first preferrably on betfair so I have proof for credibility :) I reckon 'twould be a great read :eek:

Woddle wrote: »
    Also having just scanned back over todays selections with the paper I think I only would have dismissed 1 for sure 6'20- the dunion-perth

So thats still 10 bets for the day. Going to get the tomorrows paper earlier than normal and give it a good detailed read, stay at home dad with 3 kids, the youngest being 4 months so it can be tough :D

racingpost.com :)
    Much better than any paper, lifetime form at your fingertips for free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I am trying to be more cautious with my bank hence the paper trading this week :D
    but lets say my % strike rate is 13% (not including the placed horses) is there a staking plan that I can use to make this strike rate more effective. 13% gives me a win every 7.69 races, so if I was to lose the first 7/8 races, should I then up my stake to 2 pts or am I being a bit silly.
    The 13% is what it has been this week but it has been higher.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm half thinking of writing a book about betting on the horses, I need to make a good lash out of betting first preferrably on betfair so I have proof for credibility :) I reckon 'twould be a great read :eek:

I'll proof read it for you and make sure that the simpletons can understand it :D

I am trying to be more cautious with my bank hence the paper trading this week :D
    but lets say my % strike rate is 13% (not including the placed horses) is there a staking plan that I can use to make this strike rate more effective. 13% gives me a win every 7.69 races, so if I was to lose the first 7/8 races, should I then up my stake to 2 pts or am I being a bit silly.
    The 13% is what it has been this week but it has been higher.

Only back selections 5/1 or bigger, first one loses than you try to win 60 on your 2nd bet (€50 + the lost €10) etc etc. Perhaps after 4 losers you may need to win €90 to still make your €50 and reclaim your losses. At this stage start back trying to win €50, when you do you'll be up €10. Winners I find are somewhat like the spaces in between cars at a roundabout, might be ages waiting for one and then a load come soon after each other. Loads of ways of protecting your betting bank, don't be afraid of making small losses, the alternative could be going bust by chasing them.

• Advertisement

Todays selections
    1'55 - Sal - Zahoo - win only
    4'00 - Perth - Bear witness - 75/25
    4'35 - Perth - Valley of giants - 75/25
    4'45 - Sal - Rio mist(nap) - win only
    6'15 - New - Hulcote rose - win only
    6'30 - Lud - Tyup pompey - 75/25
    7'25 - New - Baylini - 75/25
    7'40 - New - Tom folan - 75/25
    I've spent alot more time this morning on my selections, hopefully it will show

Update
    Todays selections
    1'55 - Sal - Zahoo - win only Lose -1
    4'00 - Perth - Bear witness - 75/25 Place(place odds 3.15) +1.28
    4'35 - Perth - Valley of giants - 75/25 NR
    4'45 - Sal - Rio mist(nap) - win only Win (win odds 4.16)+3
    6'15 - New - Hulcote rose - win only Lose -1
    6'30 - Lud - Tyup pompey - 75/25 Win (win odds 13.0, place odds 3.55) +4.66
    7'25 - New - Baylini - 75/25 Lose -1
    7'40 - Lud - Prescelli - 75/25 Lose -1
    7'25 - New - Tom folan - 75/25 Win (win odds 8.8, place odds 3.7) +3.77

Todays total €1/+€8.71
    Total so far €1/+€9.71

I've spent alot more time this morning on my selections, hopefully it will show

Todays total €1/+€8.71
    Total so far €1/+€9.71

What a day and I backed them all, see its worth spending the whole morning studying form :D
    Thank you roverjames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

see its worth spending the whole morning studying form :D

So this is your excuse for not getting any running done lately? :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    So this is your excuse for not getting any running done lately? :D

Absolutely, but with 24 weeks to the DM, well running will be top priority, new rule if I don't start the day with a run I don't get to gamble. :D
    I was gutted to see I had lost the 1'55 when I got back from our run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Update

Todays total €1/+€8.71
    Total so far €1/+€9.71

What a day and I backed them all, see its worth spending the whole morning studying form :D
    Thank you roverjames

If it was me I would have done 56 trebles and got an over 450/1 win...... dam.

• Advertisement

Update

Todays total €1/+€8.71
    Total so far €1/+€9.71

Thank you roverjames

Well done dude :D
    Don't get complacent tomorrow ;)

Well done dude :D
    Don't get complacent tomorrow ;)

Can't wait and cheers for pushing me in the right direction.

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Well done Woddle, This could be beautiful. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Todays total €1/+€8.71
    Total so far €1/+€9.71

What does the €1 mean? €1 stakes?

L'prof wrote: »
    What does the €1 mean? €1 stakes?

Yep, its the only way I know how to keep records, havn't a clue what the likes of ROI % and all that mean, I suppose the €1 could be just a plain unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yep, its the only way I know how to keep records, havn't a clue what the likes of ROI % and all that mean, I suppose the €1 could be just a plain unit.

Cool, just wondering. ROI is just a percentage of the profit you've made divided by the total amount you've spent in bets. Not that it matters anyway, once you're up, you're up :D

Return on Investment ROI = Profit--Divided by Amount Invested --multiply the answer by 100 to get youR ROI which is expressed as a percentage.

Profit........Invested..............................ROI
    10 ............./100..............= .10 x 100 = 10%

Todays selections
    2'30 - Newmark - Flag of glory - Win only(maybe a no bet due to odds)
    3'00 - Newmark - Burghley(Nap) - Win only
    3'35 - Newmark - Cape rock - Win only
    4'35 - Newbury - Essexbridge - 75/25
    4'45 - Newmark - General tufto - Win only
    5'30 - Aintree - Boogie dancer - 75/25
    5'40 - Newbury - Carr hall - Win only (maybe a no bet due to odds)
    6'50 - Ham - Whispered times - 75/25
    7'05 - Aintree - Nearby - 75/25
    7'50 - Newcastle - Silent lucidity - 75/25
    8'15 - Aintree - Flying doctor - Win only(maybe a no bet due to odds)
    8'25 - Newcastle - Game lad(Nb) - Win only
    8'55 - Newcastle - Miss daawe - Win only
    9'05 - Ham - Bo mcginty - 75/25

I managed to narrow it down to 14 bets from 22, I do reckon 3 of the above will be too short and I also reckon the odds of some of my 75/25 might shorten, making it a win only.

Woddle you gave me an idea for a post. See if you can make sense of this.

http://pricewiseextra.info/gambling-calculations/

An 11/8 fav left me down for nearly €5000 this evening :(

7.05 Aintree, The Jigsaw Man 7/2 won
    8.00 Hamilton, Tinaar 11/8 3rd
    9.05 Hamilton, Ingleby Star 9/1 won
    6.00 Aintree, Victor Daly 5/1 won

Had a €1 Lucky 15 and a €5 accumulator, still the docket is worth a few bob.

Apologies for the off topic Woddle but I'm not really active in any other gambling thread :).

• Advertisement

Disaster of a day. Back to the drawing board, see you Monday.
    Total so far is €/-€0.62

Apologies for the off topic Woddle but I'm not really active in any other gambling thread :).

At least your up, I had an absolutely rotten day, thought I was Mr cool after yesterday :(

At least your up, I had an absolutely rotten day, thought I was Mr cool after yesterday :(

Don't forget the roundabout dude, waiting for a gap in the traffic, you think one will never come, remember one will always come. The day after a good day is always a dodgy one too, things can go pear shaped quite quickly. I only said to the father about half an hour ago that I may well not have any single bets tomorrow and just do a yankee or something for a tenner or so. As I said a few days ago, you are looking at one of the hardest ways imaginable to return a regular income.

An 11/8 fav left me down for nearly €5000 this evening :(

7.05 Aintree, The Jigsaw Man 7/2 won
    8.00 Hamilton, Tinaar 11/8 3rd
    9.05 Hamilton, Ingleby Star 9/1 won
    6.00 Aintree, Victor Daly 5/1 won

Had a €1 Lucky 15 and a €5 accumulator, still the docket is worth a few bob.

Unlucky, I make that 416.50 back........... nearly 5k would have been a lot nicer.

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    Unlucky, I make that 416.50 back........... nearly 5k would have been a lot nicer.

:)

The guts of 5K would have been sweet, am still a happy chappy though. A month or so back I did a quadpot in Kempton that came in, paid 20/1 ish, was sick though as all 4 won.

BTW, you forget the 5/1 single win ;)

Jumps and all weather only today
    Todays selections
    2'50 - Newton - Justabout - 75/25
    3'10 - Wol - Namu - 75/25
    3'20 - Newton - Mae cigan -75/25
    3'50 - Newton - Foreign king(Nap) - win only but most likely a no bet due to odds
    4'10 - Wol - Almaty express - 75/25
    4'40 - Wol - Guildenstern - 75/25
    5'10 - Wol - Bob stock - win only
    5'40 - Wol - Red amy -

I'll only be paper trading the above, like last week anything shorter than 2/1 won't be bet.

I will however have one real bet today with money and it will be on foreign king.

So Woddle dude, what's the story ? I hope you're not getting despondent, I haven't had a winner myself in my last 5 bets.

Advertisement