Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I never want to work again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

nice one, good start

Good thread as well, defo be keeping an eye on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

L'prof wrote: »
    When you say you want to make 2.5% of your bank per day, essentially that means taking your bank from €B to 8207.5*€B in a year unless you only mean to make 2.5% of your original bank per day and that would be 9.125*€B in a year. Massive differences here, so I was just wondering if you could clarify that.

Sorry just saw this now, at the end of each week I'll stop and have a look at the current balance and then it will be 2.5% of current balance for the following week, things are still a working progress although I'm doing ok today. I'll post the days selections and how they did at the end of the day.

Update
    Woddle wrote: »
    All selections
    3'30-wol-Dazzling begum-75/25 Place (place odds 3.75) +1.95
    3'40-Brig-Wind star-75/25 Place (place odds 5.7) +3.35
    3'50-Red-Peters gift-75/25 Lose -1
    4'10-Brig-Freedom fire-win only Lose -1
    4'30-wol-Mary helen-75/25 Place (place odds 3.3) +1.64
    4'40-Brig-Ocean countess-win only Non-runner
    4'50-Red-Caldercruix-win only Win (win odds of 3.05) +1.95
    5'10-Brig-Peppanan-win only-nap Non-runner
    5'20-Red-Eeny mac-75/25 Lose -1
    5'30-wol-Barbirolli-75/25 Lose-1
    5'50-Red-Elegant dancer-win only Lose-1
    6'10-wind-Buffett-win only Win (win odds of 4.80) +3.61
    7'00-Tow-Well mick-75/25 Lose -1
    7'10-wind-Gordon flash-75/25 Place (place odds 4.0) So unlucky, went to a photo +2.14
    7'30-Tow-Miss mamma wagga-win only Lose -1
    8'10-wind-The shuffler-win only Lose actually placed but I had it as win only.

I think I've calculated it correct but maybe someone else could double check but for a £1 stake, I returned + £6.64, given that my placed horses were £0.75/ £1.00 for the place.
    Not too bad a day

Update

I think I've calculated it correct but maybe someone else could double check but for a £1 stake, I returned + £7.41, given that my placed horses were £0.75/ £1.00 for the place.
    Not too bad a day

I may be wrong, but you put down 16 and picked up 20.46, 9.61 of which is subject to 5% commission to betfair so that means you picked up 19.98 so profit of 3.98 units ? I may be wrong though as I said at the start :)

Just saw you had 2 non runners so thats 5.98 units profit

I'm not too good at calculating it to £1 stakes, I stopped beting after the second race so although I took betfair prices I never put in the comission (which was me being silly.

I had it calculated at taking in £14.64 profit and losing £8 but as I said I'm not too sure of how it is actually done. I found the 75/25 really helped with profit today.

And subtracting comission £6.64

I just added the figures in above in post 34, have I done it correct?
    Also if this was my average £1/£6.08 would this be enough to go with my 2.5% a day?

• Advertisement

I get 6.64 after the 5% commission using excel..........

3'30-wol-Dazzling begum-75/25 Place (place odds 3.75) +1.81
    win 0.75*2.75*0.95= 1.96

3'40-Brig-Wind star-75/25 Place (place odds 5.7) +3.27
    win 0.75*4.70*0.95= 3.35

3'50-Red-Peters gift-75/25 Lose -1

4'10-Brig-Freedom fire-win only Lose -1

4'30-wol-Mary helen-75/25 Place (place odds 3.3) +1.48
    win 0.75*2.30*0.95= 1.64

4'40-Brig-Ocean countess-win only Non-runner

4'50-Red-Caldercruix-win only Win (win odds of 3.05) +2.05
    win 2.05*.0.95= 1.95

5'10-Brig-Peppanan-win only-nap Non-runner

5'20-Red-Eeny mac-75/25 Lose -1

5'30-wol-Barbirolli-75/25 Lose-1

5'50-Red-Elegant dancer-win only Lose-1

6'10-wind-Buffett-win only Win (win odds of 4.80) +3.8
    win 3.8*0.95= 3.61

7'00-Tow-Well mick-75/25 Lose -1

7'10-wind-Gordon flash-75/25 Place (place odds 4.0) So unlucky, went to a photo +2.00
    win 0.75*3*0.95= 2.14

7'30-Tow-Miss mamma wagga-win only Lose -1

8'10-wind-The shuffler-win only Lose actually placed but I had it as win only.

????????????
    Can't understand where you are getting your figures from to be honest, none of mine agree for the place only ones even ignoring commission.

Yay I got it
    Going to paper trade for the rest of the week and see if 1pt bets is the way to go rather than the 2.5%, as I said I'm very happy with how I select, its the staking that leaves me baffled.
    If I had of stuck to the 2.5% I would have finished for the day at 4'50 pm instead of 8'10 pm

All selections
    2'20- Yar- Fuzzy cat- win only (most likely a no bet due to odds)
    3'00- Bev- King of swords- win only
    3'10- War- Financial times- 75/25
    3'20- Yar- Fyodorovich- 75/25
    3'30- Bev- Dubara reef- 75/25
    3'40- War- Transfixed- 75/25
    4'00- Bev- Samarinda- 75/25
    4'20- Yar- Sharp sovereign- win only
    4'50- Yar- Atacama sunrise- 75/25
    5'00- Bev- Battle study- 75/25
    5'10- War- Eywa- 75/25
    5'20- Yar- Mr Plod- 75/25
    7'20- Sth- Eseej- 75/25
    7'50- Sth- Flores sea- win only
    8'00- Newton- Haldibari- win only
    8'20- Sth- Megalo maniac- 75/25
    8'30- Newton- Ryeman- win only

Most clear in the maths
    2'20 - Yar - Fuzzy cat
    8'30 - Newton - Ryeman
    8'00 - Newton - Haldibari
    3'40 - War - Transfixed
    7'20 - Sth - Eseej
    3'00 - Bev - King of swords
    4'50 - Yar - Atacama sunrise
    5'20 - Yar - Mr Plod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yay I got it
    Going to paper trade for the rest of the week and see if 1pt bets is the way to go rather than the 2.5%, as I said I'm very happy with how I select, its the staking that leaves me baffled.
    If I had of stuck to the 2.5% I would have finished for the day at 4'50 pm instead of 8'10 pm

The staking shouldn't be a problem so I'd stick with it. You can use excel to help you. I've attached a simple file here, ll you have to do is change the value of your bank and it'll tell you what your stake should be.

Thanks l'prof, I'll put it down to stupidity :D
    I'm going to stick with a fixed stake for the day and see if I can repeat yesterdays results. Quite happy with yesterdays reults and hopefully I wasn't just lucky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

I wouldn't bother with those ones when there is only 2 places.

POINTBREAK wrote: »

I wouldn't bother with those ones when there is only 2 places.

True but battle cry finished 2nd in the next and PP was only doing 2 places although betfair were doing 3. I went with PP because of the better place odds but I only copped it later that they were offering a place less, for maths purposes though I'll use the betfair price and sth to consider later, thanks pointbreak.

Update, currently €1/€-2.16
    All selections
    2'20- Yar- Fuzzy cat- win only (most likely a no bet due to odds) no bet/lost anyway
    3'00- Bev- King of swords- win only Lose -1
    3'10- War- Financial times- 75/25 Lose -1
    3'20- Yar- Fyodorovich- 75/25 Lose -1
    3'30- Bev- Dubara reef- 75/25 Place (place odds 3.95) +1.85
    3'40- War- Transfixed- 75/25 Lose -1
    4'00- Bev- Samarinda- 75/25 Lose -1 Unseated her rider on leaving the stalls
    4'20- Yar- Sharp sovereign- win only Win ( win odds of 6.2) +4.94
    4'50- Yar- Atacama sunrise- 75/25 Lose -1
    5'00- Bev- Battle study- 75/25 Place (place odds 3.35) +1.42 Got my place odds from PP at 4.33, I realised after why there was a difference, betfair 3 places, PP only 2 places, I'll count the betfair price though

5'10- War- Eywa- 75/25 Place (place odds 3.65) +1.63
    5'20- Yar- Mr Plod- 75/25 Lose -1
    7'20- Sth- Eseej- 75/25 Lose -1
    7'50- Sth- Flores sea- win only Lose -1
    8'00- Newton- Haldibari- win only Lose -1
    8'20- Sth- Megalo maniac- 75/25 Lose -1
    8'30- Newton- Ryeman- win only Lose -1

Not the best of days today.
    Todays Loss €1/-€2.16
    Overall profit €1/€4.48

Not the best of days today.
    Todays Loss €1/-€2.16
    Overall profit €1/€4.48

Thats not a bad result considering you hit very little.

:(

To be honest it's better for you in the long run that this happened on the 2nd day, there is no system that can give you selections in every HC race that will return a profit longterm. I wish there was but if there was it wouldn't last long.

The only way to pick winners regularly is to eat and sleep racing, watch as much of it as you can, read books about it, get to a racecourse and hang around the parade ring, learn about horses.

It takes 4 years in college to be an engineer or an accountant followed by a few years working before you make a good living from your profession, making money from gambling on horses is infinitely more difficult.

You need to finetune your system, use it in only races with 10 or less runners, only back the win only selection it turns up, the place game is more often than not devoid of value. Realistically no matter what you do I think the system will let you down unless you go with the increased stake way which is quite risky as it will drain your betting bank sharpish.

Things to remember, you are miles ahead of the average betting office dweller, you stay away from shortprices, you play on handicaps, you papertrade, you are wanting to learn :) It will take time though, lots of it.

The only way to pick winners regularly is to eat and sleep racing, watch as much of it as you can, read books about it, get to a racecourse and hang around the parade ring, learn about horses.

Have a read of my interview with a pro punter RoverJames. He says the exact opposite of that almost. You will be shocked!
    http://pricewiseextra.info/the-interview/

Not shocked at all :)
    I have read all that before (too often really), he does mention the importance of finding value (it’s a mathematical fact that to make money long-term from betting then you have to be backing things at bigger prices than they should be"), it's a lot easier to find value if you know more than nothing about horseracing ;)

Also he mentions "The most profitable bets that I do are backing the 2nd fav Each Way in horse races where there is a short-priced favourite, but these are bets that bookmakers hate to take (try walking into Boyles and having 500 quid EW on a 4/1 second favourite in an 8 runner race with a 1/3 favourite and a few no-hopers)" Anyone who knows about racing can testify that such races are few and far between, if they are few and far between one can't have winning selections regularly.

Also he says it's almost impossible to lose money backing like that and that he has made a 6 figure sum over 5 years from sports betting due to info from good contacts.

I'm not a pro punter but I'm no mug and have a very decent strikerate, if you try to make a living from betting on horses you need to know about racing, a chap who calls himself a pro poker player who gets sports info off folks in the know won't change my mind on that one :) He also won't dispute it I'm sure, you did say he says almost the exact opposite, in fairness he says nothing of the sort really, he just said he knows f all about racing and that he has made a few quid from it.

Well to be fair to you, you did say "the only way to pick winners" and that is a lot different from saying the only way to make money at it.
    I agree with you that there is no magic system and you do have to work at it. Having 16 or 17 single bets in a day is going to make it almost impossible I think.

Thanks again for the input and I've taken it on board and concentrated on races with 10 runners or less, I think there might be 1x12 runner field.

Todays selections
    1'55 - Font - Sean og -75/25 (may become win only)
    2'10 - York - Summerinthecity - win only
    2'50 - Exeter - Shergill - 75/25
    3'00 - Font - Kapplehoff - 75/25 (may become win only)
    4'10 - Font - Kijivu - 75/25
    4'30 - Exeter - Remember bampi - 75/25
    4'45 - Font - Wiesenfurst - win only
    6'20 - Perth - The dunion - 75/25
    6'50 - Perth - Dallas bell - 75/25 (may become win only)
    7'20 - Perth - Beidh tine anseo win only (most likely a no bet due to odds)
    8'20 - Perth - Storm prospect - win only
    8'30 - Bath - Dualagi - win only

• Advertisement

Update €1/€3.48 so far with hopefully stronger selections still to come.
    Todays selections
    1'55 - Font - Sean og -75/25 Place(place odds of 2.04) +0.49
    2'10 - York - Summerinthecity - win only Lose -1
    2'50 - Exeter - Shergill - 75/25 Lose -1
    3'00 - Font - Kapplehoff - 75/25 (may become win only) Lose -1
    4'10 - Font - Kijivu - 75/25 Lose -1
    4'30 - Exeter - Remember bampi - 75/25 Place(place odds of 2.26) +0.9
    4'45 - Font - Wiesenfurst - win only win (win odds of 4.3) +3.13
    6'20 - Perth - The dunion - 75/25 Lose -1
    6'50 - Perth - Dallas bell - 75/25 (may become win only) Lose -1
    7'20 - Perth - Beidh tine anseo win only (most likely a no bet due to odds) No bet
    8'20 - Perth - Storm prospect - win only Lose -1
    8'30 - Bath - Dualagi - win only Lose -1
    Today €1/-€3.48
    So far €1/€1

2 not so good days

Woddle, it strikes me that with 12 horses you are going to need something like 2 winners at 5/1 or a hell of a lot of placed horses to make a profit? Why dont you look at horses that look certain to be placed since most of your stake is on the place........

Woddle, it strikes me that with 12 horses you are going to need something like 2 winners at 5/1 or a hell of a lot of placed horses to make a profit? Why dont you look at horses that look certain to be placed since most of your stake is on the place........

It is sth I was considering this morning but as I looked back over my records for the last few weeks, it showed me that yesterday was my worst day , so I might keep the faith for a little longer (the rest of the week :D ) and see where I'm at, I am open to change though.

Good luck anyway no matter what way you decide to do it.

Good luck anyway no matter what way you decide to do it.

Cheers pointbreak, the feedback from the likes of yourself and roverjames are very much appreciated and due to these comments I've selected less races and concentrated on races with 10 or less (bar 2 it turns out, 1x12 and 1x11)
    Very determined to make this work.

I'd stay away from the place market, unless you are getting 1/3 of the betting shop win price for the place on betfair. You mention your system is based to a degree on a horses form, I would consider carefully what good and bad form is. A horse who had course and distance form in a race at a certain track who has been unplaced in the last four of its races may not be in bad form if the four races were not at its optimum trip or if the ground wasn't suitable etc. Recent form has a fairly significant effect on the odds and quite often interpretting the form correctly can put you on a nice bet. Of course such studying requires time and you won't be having a selection in as many races as you do now if you start that route.

Also when your system throws up horses do keep in mind in handicaps the horse in the top half of the handicap win more races than those in the bottom, iirc something like 1 in 7 HCs is won by the topweight.

I really think the place market is a waste of time :) I'm not going to say so anymore though, broken record and all that.

About the topweights etc, do remember that the handicapper isn't out to stop a horse winning, he is out to try and give every horse in the races an equal chance. Trainers then try to place the horses accordingly. If you presume the handicapper is doing his job correctly and the trainer is placing the horse with a view to winning (we could talk about that all night) the any other factor in the horses favour can be considered an advantage, eg 1m2f handicap and only one horse in the field has one over the distance before, if that race was also a handicap we have a nice little piece of form, if loads of other horses in the race have also ran in handicaps of a similar level over the same distance and not been close to winning we have lovely form, which may or may not be refected in the available odds. I love handicaps and I generally trust the handicapper, not in Irish racing though.

RoverJames wrote: »

Also when your system throws up horses do keep in mind in handicaps the horse in the top half of the handicap win more races than those in the bottom, iirc something like 1 in 7 HCs is won by the topweight.

This is very interesting as alot of the time my selection is from the bottom 1/3 of the list and I have noticed that whenever my choice is the top weight it does run close (if not win)

So I've already refined it from 17 selections down to 11 today (one of them was too short to back but did win) and if my selection is in the bottom 1/3 I'll have to scrutinise it that bit more. Really appreciate the advice I'm getting.

On a seperate note if I was looking to make my 2.5% a day I would have done so on every day so far without risking much but it is a fine line for sure as I've only scraped the 1 win today and yesterday, so I am close to obliterating my bank if thats the route I choose, any suggestions or will we just see how the rest of the week goes. Cheers

RoverJames wrote: »
    I love handicaps and I generally trust the handicapper, not in Irish racing though.

I've also stayed away fro Irish racing as it has done me no favours, for some reason though I do find that I do well in the AW in paticular Lingfield and Wolverhampton, not too sure why.

This is very interesting as alot of the time my selection is from the bottom 1/3 of the list and I have noticed that whenever my choice is the top weight it does run close (if not win)

................ but it is a fine line for sure as I've only scraped the 1 win today and yesterday, so I am close to obliterating my bank if thats the route I choose, any suggestions or will we just see how the rest of the week goes. Cheers

The "better" horses are generally at the top of the handicap, being close to obliterating your bank is never good, it puts you out of business. You then either stop or get another bank, not much point doing the latter unless you have a different plan really.
    for some reason though I do find that I do well in the AW in paticular Lingfield and Wolverhampton, not too sure why.

AW is hated my many punters, I love it :) The ground is relatively consistent ish, variations in turf going is huge. Also on the AW I only use AW form, I ignore most if not all turf form of horses on the AW, and vice versa.

• Advertisement

Also having just scanned back over todays selections with the paper I think I only would have dismissed 1 for sure 6'20- the dunion-perth

So thats still 10 bets for the day. Going to get the tomorrows paper earlier than normal and give it a good detailed read, stay at home dad with 3 kids, the youngest being 4 months so it can be tough :D

Advertisement