Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people against science?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 3:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Theres a thread over in the conspiracy theory section where we were going on about whether science cant be trusted . I thought it was odd that people were debating whether science was trustworthy when the main principles of science was supposed to be about evidence and logic in the first place . You see supporters of creationism , alternative medicines and E.T. visitation etc refer to "Conventional Science" as if mocking it or devaluing it. Outside of the most contenscious issues like creationism etc does anyone else see a growing trend to refer to science as a negative thing? Do people on the street assume that science and alternative theories have an equally valid basis? And if they do, what is their thought processes. How do they choose which thruth is truer?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

once upon a time it was thought that the holes in the shells of Ammonites were caused by marine reptiles biting them as in this picture.

13427_big.jpg

Then a young girl pointed out that wouldn't the shells break when bitten. After some humble pie it was realised that it was in fact snails that were boring the holes in the shells.

Point being that anyone who comes up with a demonstrably better idea can have it accepted in science. You don't need to be a scientist , all you need is to some theory or evidence that others can test or reproduce.

There are a lot of claims for alternative science that doesn't isn't significantly better than the placebo effect or the effects Maslow? found, (didn't he do the lighting study?) which is why you need double blind trials. In fairness IMHO clinical trials shouldn't be compared to just placebo's but also against the current best practice treatment. We don't need another patented pain killer that isn't any better than the generics, unless there are less side effects or some other benefit, but I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    Outside of the most contenscious issues like creationism etc does anyone else see a growing trend to refer to science as a negative thing? Do people on the street assume that science and alternative theories have an equally valid basis? And if they do, what is their thought processes. How do they choose which thruth is truer?

I don't think its a "negative" thing. I think, rather, its a case whereby enough effort has been put in by enough parties to confuse some issues, that many Average Joes are consciously or subconsciously at a point where they don't have the depth of knowledge to know or understand who is making an honest argument and who not, and rely instead of other factors...such as "gut feeling", who they find more trustworthy as a source, etc.

This isn't helped much by the absolutely woeful standard of reporting when it comes to scientific issues. Even where it should be a clear-cut case, the journalistic notion of "balanced coverage" tends to mean "present each side as equally plausible".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

I dont think i worded the OP exactly right, i was trying to say how can people process "Well current knowlege say x=y, but this guy says x=z and ill believe him". And I think the whole confusion idea bangs it on the head there. Everyday you here some dumb survey, like 28% of people lost weight wearing yellow socks, and its thrown out like its some very big important research breakthrough . I think all that baloney keeps alive the idea of science and technology as wierdos in white coats swirling green goo in test tubes and not doing anything important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I have seen a growing trend with what I call Scienticians and Scientists with an atheist agenda.

Scientists should only have an agenda to the data. Keep your personal beliefs about global warming, God, and all out of the data.

Some scientists are very quick to mock the religious. Science at its core is asks for faith/credulity in the same way as religion.

Consider what Astronomers have known for over 30 years: the universe:
    (1) began, in a big bang,
    (2) from a singularity, outside of time,
    (3) that existed in superposition with itself (3).

(1) Sounds like the Bible was correct, the Universe had a beginning and was not cyclical. Don't forget that the term big bang was a slur against those that backed the Priest (Georges Lemaitre) since the beginning wasn't very big and there was no sound!

(2) The singularity sounds like one God. Since everything that ever was to be was co-located at that singularity, one could argue that this singularity had supreme knowledge, was all knowing, - an alpha and omega so to speak,

However, didn't Jesus claim that he and the father were one? What about the Holy Spirit? Ah ha! How can Christians explain that?

Well, Christians have been saying this for 2000 years and finally Quantum Mechanics has caught up.

Single objects can exist in multiple positions at the same time. Thus, the idea of One God existing in the form of Jesus and the Holy Spirit fits perfectly in the most accurate description of Physical systems that man has ever known: Quantum Mechanics.

Rather than accept what the Astronomical data shows, Astronomers have sat on the data as its implications are far too religious.

That's not science, it is activism. It is this type of "science" that is destroying the profession.

Another blow to science is the environmentalist zealots.

I cannot help but laugh at some of these Hummer hating environmentalists - most of which are pantheists without realizing it.

I point out that they worship mother earth, they have their own Pope (Al Gore) who is selling indulgences (carbon credits). They even have their own end of the world story - and guess what - it's a flood - how original!:)

The word Zealot is more than applicable to these dooms-dayer's as I am sure one of the defenders of the faith will soon show.

Science is only as good as the scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

It was a toss-up between replying to your post and deleting it.
    Masochism won.
    FISMA wrote: »
    Science at its core is asks for faith/credulity in the same way as religion.

Exactly the opposite. Science requires that you question everything and only provisionally 'believe' the most tried and tested laws until something better comes along.
    Consider what Astronomers have known for over 30 years: the universe:
    (1) began, in a big bang,
    (2) from a singularity, outside of time,
    (3) that existed in superposition with itself (3).
    And this is where you've lost it.
    1) Yes, there was a physical 'big bang'
    2) This is a mathematical construct. Its not that the big bang happened 'outside of time' but that we consider it as time 0, i.e. that which occurred previously has no effect on the current state of the universe.
    3) This is an abstract mathematical construct, not meant to represent how the universe is physically assembled. Its a tool to examine probability distributions.

The rest of your 'scientific' arguement is just taking scientific words out of context and applying them to your metaphysical constructs.
    Single objects can exist in multiple positions at the same time.
    No, they can't. They can have a probability distribution which allows for them to exist in a number of different places at any given time, but each individual particle only exists in one of them.

Thus your claim of religious implication is void.
    I cannot help but laugh at some of these Hummer hating environmentalists - most of which are pantheists without realizing it.
    Why is this funny?
    I point out that they worship mother earth...
    Change 'worship' to 'live on' and you may understand a bit better.
    Science is only as good as the scientists.
    Which is why every single successful scientist in the last 1000 years was either an aethiest or a believer who understood that religion and science are separate areas of study. They are neither contradictory or complimentary, they deal with entirely separate matters.

George Lemaitre was the very personification of this understanding. Whichever pope was knocking around Rome at the time became quite vocal in his agreement with Lemaitre's discoveries and the implications for matters of faith. He was quickly told by his scientific advisors to shut the fcuk up and leave science to the scientists.

I offer you the same advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I dont think i worded the OP exactly right, i was trying to say how can people process "Well current knowlege say x=y, but this guy says x=z and ill believe him".
    "If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence."
    Everyday you here some dumb survey, like 28% of people lost weight wearing yellow socks, and its thrown out like its some very big important research breakthrough . I think all that baloney keeps alive the idea of science and technology as wierdos in white coats swirling green goo in test tubes and not doing anything important
    If someone reads a headline in a paper that says "Scientists make breakthrough with weight-loss socks", they might think "fantastic - I don't have to get more exercise and change my eating habits, I just have to change my socks!" Logic gets pushed to the back of their minds because they hope they've found an easy, quick-fix solution to a problem.

I think most people believe that science and technology will solve most of our problems for us - we won't have to change the way we live - because it's a very convenient belief system. However, if science throws up some findings that may suggest we need to change how we live our lives, all of a sudden 'science' becomes a great big conspiracy, in which scientists are power-hungry doom-mongers attempting to gain control over every aspect of people's lives in some kind of Orwellian dystopia.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Logic gets pushed to the back of their minds because they hope they've found an easy, quick-fix solution to a problem.

Ah the L word! Thats what i was trying to put into english. I didnt want to start a thread " gee, arent some people dumb" , more how does people logic work. Is it just religious fundementalists who scorn mainstream science or does everyone not from a scientific backround think its all voodoo. Ive come across alot of opinions here on boards that science has no more authority than non scientific thinking. I dont like that and usually weigh in thinking, if they want to ridicule mainstream science then im gonna stick up for it (cue the stirring music!). But maybe im too easily riled up about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Gurgle,
    You appear to be getting many fundamentals confused. I'll take on a few of the more obvious.

First, your reference to "time" is archaic. Einstein still rules over the Quantum boys until their Chroton or Q Field Theory is demonstrable. Short answer - there is space-time, not space and time, but one continuous space-time.

When there was a singularity there was no space so how could there be any space-time? I think that's what the original poster (OP) implied. That what/whenever the singularity was, it was pre-spacetime. I think the OP appears to be saying that the singularity is God. The same God of the old & New Testaments that claims to be timeless.

When you start your stopwatch at t=0 s, negative time may be thought of as that amount of time before you started your watch, as any secondary school Physics students understands from using the kinematic equations when they get a quadratic eq. However, there was no before the singularity as their was no space-time.

You're also getting your preDetection and postDetection confused when it comes to superposition. You are most definitely wrong here as superposition has been demonstrated in labs throughout the world.

With the singularity, we are dealing with preDetection. The singluarity may exist in superposition with itself, 2, 3, 4, whatever. Certain objects in the labs exist in thousands. It's a neat explanation for the Trinity that I have heard before.

Finally, did I read correctly? The OP speaks of faith, you disagree and say that you need to "provincially believe?" That sounds like faith to me.
    :)

you cant use the wackyness of quantum physics to prove God exists. thats like saying

My garden has a pile of rocks
    Alice in chain really rocks
    My garden is Alice In Chains

mind you if i found them dudes rocking out in the garden shed, Id be making tea full time to convince them to stay...........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Finally, did I read correctly? The OP speaks of faith, you disagree and say that you need to "provincially believe?" That sounds like faith to me.
    :)
    I assume you read correctly and then choose to ignore the evidence.
    Gurgle wrote: »
    Exactly the opposite. Science requires that you question everything and only provisionally 'believe' the most tried and tested laws until something better comes along.
    Please let me know which religion you requires you to question everything and then to switch beliefs as and when better theories and proofs become available.

Thing about science is that if you or anyone can prove reproducibly that science is wrong about something then science has to accommodate that. Many religions have conflicting beliefs, as a general rule they don't change them to accommodate other religions.

• Advertisement

Religions have fundamentals which may not be questioned. This is commonly referred to as dogma. Dogma is the Greek for belief.

Science, at its core, has fundamentals which may not be questioned.

Mathematics is much the same. Referring to a Calc book, look at any proof. All start with an arbitrary statement you must take on faith: let, suppose, given, if, ... Again, a fundamental doctrine. Lesson learned: I can show how x is true, just don't question y.

For example, Gurgle, what IS mass? What IS Force? What IS Energy. What IS time?

Please spare me the text book - embarrassing definitions of, respectively: measurement of inertia, a push or pull, the ability to do work, and oscillations within a theoretical atom.

Short answer: we do not know what mass IS, or Force IS, or Energy IS. Instead, we know them by what they do. We define them, make measurements, objectify, quantify, and mathematize. It is doubtful that such a system could ever know the mind of God so to speak. Keep in mind that Physics is the study of the natural world. Physics is Greek for natural. By its own definition, it lacks the ability to analyze the supernatural.

Let's take an oversimplified example. A Force by my finger is applied to a block/mass and it accelerates.

"Why" did the mass accelerate? We do not know: there is no knowable link between cause and effect. MetaPhysicists do "why." Physicists, acknowledge that the mass' acceleration was the effect and that the cause was the applied Force of the finger.

It accelerated because you touched it, right? Wrong. My finger never came in contact with the block - so says atomic theory.

But electrons have electric fields which cause repulsion, that's why the mass accelerated. Well, (1) it's still called atomic theory for a reason and (2) fields are a construct that we made up. The field is our attempt at an explanation. It is not that the explanation is that there is a field. The field is there because we say so.

The point here is that there is a level at which you cannot question. These so called primitive concepts are taken by credulity, which is the scientists way of taking it by faith.

If you question F = ma we can quickly get mired down into a state of uselessness. If you accept F=ma we can literally do things that are out of this world.

Perhaps, that's God's point. Don't question the fundamentals, just have faith, and you can move mountains.

Easy there Capt'N. You are using evidence and proof as if they were the same thing. I hope you're not a lawyer or a judge or else we'll all be guilty!

Example. Many scientists believe in evolution because of evidence such as dna.

However, scientists cannot test that we come from chimps, nor can they replicate that we come from chimps. Chimps have never been observed to become sapiens. Thus, we cannot prove that we come from Chimps -hence the reason we call it the Theory of Evolution.

I think you are all getting confused between proving in the colloquial sense and Proving in the absolute sense. Concisely: I believe that science is chock full of proofs, however, cannot Prove a single thing.

I am not trying to be picky, however, if science is going to analyze the ultimate - God, then shouldn't it be able to stand up to its own tests?

Does that make sense or shall I clarify?

If anyone believes that anything can be Proven, in the absolute sense, please devise a simple test and I will demonstrate that although we may prove something, you can never really Prove anything.

Again, do you trust your memory? What's your scientific test to see if our memory is working properly?

wrong right off the bat. Science has fundementals proved, religion has fundamentals told. Not the same thing

it's still called atomic theory for a reason and
    misunderstanding of the word theory

The point here is that there is a level at which you cannot question. These so called primitive concepts are taken by credulity, which is the scientists way of taking it by faith.

Incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Science: observation/prediction based on evidence.
    Religion: belief in religious ideas not supported by evidence.

Simple as that, really. Perhaps the latest few posts in this thread are better off in one of the religion threads (we all know the one ;)), since they are merely hamfisted digs at atheism and nothing to do with the OP or, indeed, popular science!

On topic, I agree that irresponsible reporting of science, where both 'sides' of every argument are presented rather than the actual evidence, will lead people to write off science as unclear on issues when it really isn't. Even on some of the other forums here you get qualified people trotting out the tired old chestnut "you can find a reference for anything" - a superficial conclusion that ignores quality of evidence and data. If the qualified people can't be arsed looking at the evidence, what hope has Joe Soap?

I like arguing , so digs against science are very welcome here! :D

If you question F = ma we can quickly get mired down into a state of uselessness. If you accept F=ma we can literally do things that are out of this world.
    You seem to be ignoring the obvious here. Yes, equations such as the above are merely human constructs, but they are tried and tested human constructs. The fact that we do not understand everything about the interactions involving force and mass does not invalidate the relationship. If such a construct is demonstrably flawed, then it is either refined or replaced with a new construct. As has already been stated, the same could not be said of religion.

Take another example – the theory of gravity. Yes, it is just that, a theory, because nobody really has a clue how gravity works. All we know is that it works. Does that mean that we should ignore the evidence that our understanding of gravitational mechanics is pretty accurate (based on predicted/actual satellite trajectories, for example), or do we dispense with the law of universal gravitation because we do not fully understand what gravity is?
    However, scientists cannot test that we come from chimps, nor can they replicate that we come from chimps. Chimps have never been observed to become sapiens. Thus, we cannot prove that we come from Chimps -hence the reason we call it the Theory of Evolution.
    Indeed, it’s just a theory. Based on the available evidence. So what?
    I think you are all getting confused between proving in the colloquial sense and Proving in the absolute sense. Concisely: I believe that science is chock full of proofs, however, cannot Prove a single thing.
    Nothing can be proven to be 100% accurate, no. However, many things can be demonstrated to be true beyond reasonable doubt.

This would appear to be an old trick of the religious: science does not understand everything, ergo, God exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

djpbarry wrote: »
    This would appear to be an old trick of the religious: science does not understand everything, ergo, God exists.

Or put another way, which I think is closer to the point…

“Because something can not be explained… it can be explained”.

I wish I had a euro for every time people have presented the lack of evidence for an explanation as evidence for their own explanation.

I have seen it done in religion (if god did not do it then what did) in talk of ghosts (we can not explain why that chair moved by itself therefore it must be ghosts) and even conspiracy theories (they are not releasing the minutes of that meeting there, so this is proof that the agenda I am telling you they have is the one they have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

What's your scientific test to see if our memory is working properly?
    I think therefore I am.
    Please spare me the text book - embarrassing definitions of, respectively: measurement of inertia, a push or pull, the ability to do work, and oscillations within a theoretical atom.
    If you can't understand these 'embarrassing' definitions, there really is no justification for you to be posting here.

They aren't descriptions or measurements, they are definitions. By definition that means that the definition is the definition.

Take the speed of light, it was measured with greater and greater accuracy in m/s up to 1983, then it was decided to redefine the meter based on the speed of light as this was more accurate and precise than the previous base used (distance from the equator to the north pole).

Now the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 m/s and a meter is defined as exactly the distance travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 seconds.

BTW the second is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the transition between levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

These aren't 'measured' values with a margin of error / a limit in precision or accuracy. They are finite and complete definitions.

Religions have fundamentals which may not be questioned.
    Actually you'll find that religions question each other. If the fundamentals were universal and unquestionable then there would only be one religion.
    nope everything is up for grabs,
    Mathematics is much the same. Referring to a Calc book, look at any proof. All start with an arbitrary statement you must take on faith: let, suppose, given, if, ... Again, a fundamental doctrine. Lesson learned: I can show how x is true, just don't question y.
    it took a LOT of work to finally 1+1=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica
    "From this proposition it will follow, when arithmetical addition has been defined, that 1+1=2." – Volume I, 1st edition, page 379
    The proof is actually completed in Volume II, 1st edition, page 86

Perhaps, that's God's point. Don't question the fundamentals, just have faith, and you can move mountains.
    Every physicist knows F=ma is wrong.
    It's just an approximation that is only used at non relativistic speeds. :rolleyes:

BTW individual atoms have been visualised by electron microscope, but the theory of gas pressure had more or less confirmed the size of atoms long before.

I like arguing , so digs against science are very welcome here! :D
    It's the science forum
    arguing and digs have no place

please stick to facts and logical arguments

• Advertisement

Few of us ignore Gravity even though it's also only a Theory that we can't prove.

Also we did not evolve from chimps. To suggest this means you either don't understand the theory of evolution or are deliberately misrepresentating it. Neither deserve any respect.

Evolution suggests that we and chimps / bonobos had a common ancestor several million years ago, it does not suggest that we are direct descendents
    If anyone believes that anything can be Proven, in the absolute sense, please devise a simple test and I will demonstrate that although we may prove something, you can never really Prove anything.
    I'm taking that to mean you can disprove any proof of God. :p

Were you planning to use Kurt Gödel's incompleteness theorems perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Capt'n Midnight I must say, great posts! I thoroughly enjoy reading them, really interesting so they are.

It's the science forum
    arguing and digs have no place

please stick to facts and logical arguments

What I meant was I go on other threads and rain on a few peoples parade now and again so i feel its only fair to let others have there say here. The anti science opinions (for want of a better word) can be usually shown to be not well based in fact and an indicator of some other agenda, religion or spiritualism or conspiracy, whatever. And maybe people reading the thread with no interest in science at all will get a better view of science as a method not just another set of beliefs. (Cue inspirational music!) A little bit of argument spices things up a bit, i think anyway.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20627606.100-living-in-denial-why-sensible-people-reject-the-truth.html

just found this article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

OP - you seriously wonder why scientists are losing their esteemed place in society's hierarchy? Consider the following.
    Point being that anyone who comes up with a demonstrably better idea can have it accepted in science. You don't need to be a scientist , all you need is to some theory or evidence that others can test or reproduce.
    Wrong. You cannot test a theory. You cannot reproduce a theory. That's why scientists call it a theory. You look at the data, attempt to see patterns, examine evidence, and try to fit the pieces together. Evidence is something that supports the theory. It does not offer proof.
    I like arguing , so digs against science are very welcome here!
    Again, you wonder why people are losing faith (pun intended) in scientists and science. Perhaps, it has to do with all of the squabbling and bickering - like that you have encouraged.
    I think therefore I am.
    Please tell me you forgot the - I am joking icon. I was actually looking forward to someone providing some test that could demonstrate such.
    Now the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 m/s and a meter is defined as exactly the distance travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 seconds.

This is so wrong I am hoping that I mis-read.

1) We do NOT know EXACTLY at what speed light propagates a vaccuum. I bet it is close to what you said, however, what you have provided is the current best measurement and is not EXACT.
    BTW the second is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the transition between levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
    You're missing FISMA's point. FISMA (I just got it F = ma!) asked you what time IS. You provided a way to measure a second. What is time? You have not answered that. Do you believe in chronons?
    These aren't 'measured' values with a margin of error / a limit in precision or accuracy. They are finite and complete definitions.
    Wrong, wrong, and more wrong. They are measured values! There is a margin of error. There is a limit of precision. Their definitions will change in the future - thus, they are not complete.
    it took a LOT of work to finally 1+1=2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica
    "From this proposition it will follow, when arithmetical addition has been defined, that 1+1=2." – Volume I, 1st edition, page 379
    The proof is actually completed in Volume II, 1st edition, page 86
    Your "proof" clearly states that "when arithmetical addition has been defined." Again, we must arbitrarily agree upon something - definition of addition.
    The anti science opinions (for want of a better word) can be usually shown to be not well based in fact and an indicator of some other agenda, religion or spiritualism or conspiracy, whatever.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20627606.100-living-in-denial-why-sensible-people-reject-the-truth.html
    Your responses have been childish at best and offer no rebuttal. You disagree without support as if your single words merit themselves. I do however, agree that you have accomplished your mission of encourage arguments and spicing things up - troll on.
    A
    BTW individual atoms have been visualised by electron microscope, but the theory of gas pressure had more or less confirmed the size of atoms long before.
    Now that's just cute Capt'n - [sic] "visualised." You almost make it appear that we can see atoms, which we cannot. Or maybe that we can see atoms with an SEM, which we cannot. Check your wavelengths, the SEM cannot see an atom. However, correct, atoms may be visualized. But so to can dinosaurs be visualized in Jurrasic park. Neither, are really being seen. You should probably do another google search.

Also, Capt'n atoms do not have a definite shape

Finally, we come to the absolute worst quote of the day for which the poster receives the maximum amount of confused icons of 15
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Terrible, terrible, and terrible. However, Capt'n you do get an award, here it is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0 (safe to open)

Fair enough Capt'n. You did follow up with
    It's just an approximation that is only used at non relativistic speeds.
    F=ma is not wrong. It is correct. It is provable and reproducible in labs throughout the world, and outside of the world. True, when you are very small (Quantum) or very fast, the law needs to be tweaked. However, it is not wrong. It is not an approximation. You may have to approximate your measurements, however, F=ma does not.

Finally, Nick with respect to your provided link, a wise man once asked a question that I now ask you:
    What is the truth?
    Slan agus abhaille lads!

You cannot test a theory. You cannot reproduce a theory.
    F=ma is not wrong. It is correct. It is provable and reproducible in labs throughout the world, and outside of the world.
    :rolleyes:

Wrong. You cannot test a theory.
    A theory cannot be proved, it can only be disproved. In science if anyone, anyone at all, produces reproducible evidence that a theory is wrong then the theory will have to be modified to accommodate that evidence. A good theory will allow predictions, you test the theory by seeing if evidence matches the predictions.

Please refrain from commenting on what theories until you learn the basics.

Please tell me you forgot the - I am joking icon. I was actually looking forward to someone providing some test that could demonstrate such.
    there is a theory that the universe was created 5 minutes ago, complete with fossils and populated by people with fake memories.
    This theory can't be disproven since it makes no predictions that can be tested, so it's scientific value other than as a thought experiment is negligable.

1) We do NOT know EXACTLY at what speed light propagates a vaccuum. I bet it is close to what you said, however, what you have provided is the current best measurement and is not EXACT.
    two points
    Read up on Maxwell, you can calculate the speed of light without measuring it.
    The definition of meter and second are based on electromagnetic radiation. For the second you count microwaves, for the meter you count wavelengths.
    Wrong, wrong, and more wrong. They are measured values! There is a margin of error. There is a limit of precision. Their definitions will change in the future - thus, they are not complete.
    the speed of light given is +/- 1.6 meters per second, but that's more to do with the accuracy with which can describe the speed of light than our understanding of it. An example here is saying that water boils at 100C when in reality the difference in atmospheric pressure means that a full kettle will boil at nearly a milikelvin lower one that's almost empty one

Your "proof" clearly states that "when arithmetical addition has been defined." Again, we must arbitrarily agree upon something - definition of addition.
    just what do you think they were doing for the first 378 pages ????
    I've mentioned Gödel
    and besides you've taken it totally out of the original context
    Or maybe that we can see atoms with an SEM, which we cannot. Check your wavelengths, the SEM cannot see an atom. However, correct, atoms may be visualized.
    http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV1003.html
    Also, Capt'n atoms do not have a definite shape
    Learn about electron shells, S,P,D and then about hybridisation

F=ma is not wrong. It is correct. It is provable and reproducible in labs throughout the world, and outside of the world. True, when you are very small (Quantum) or very fast, the law needs to be tweaked. However, it is not wrong. It is not an approximation. You may have to approximate your measurements, however, F=ma does not.
    mass increases when velocity increases.

In the past science / engineering improved peoples lives enormously. Just look at the epidemics of the nineteenth century. We got radio , aeroplanes, cars, telephones , plastics (Bakelite) , vaccines against smallpox , refrigeration , electricity in the home in a relatively short time. And wars mainly affected soldiers or the civilians of other countries. And they didn't have the vote.

Later on we got weapons of war that were used on civilians a lot closer to home. We got espionage. We were getting diminishing returns on health schemes, which means the benefits aren't as obvious as before.

People in general are less trusting of authority than before, or at least are more able to be vocal about it than before. Must look up a snipped I heard on the radio about there only being 11 democracies in 1941 and you can be very sure freedom of speech was limited in many of those. Science is about questioning things so maybe in a way it's good.

But the media do have to take a responsibility when offering balance on opposing views, as giving equal airtime implies equal legitimacy. Fine if it's a political party, not so fine if you are comparing a regulated system with demonstrated benefits with something that works on a feel good factor.

Again, you wonder why people are losing faith (pun intended) in scientists and science. Perhaps, it has to do with all of the squabbling and bickering - like that you have encouraged.

Your responses have been childish at best and offer no rebuttal. You disagree without support as if your single words merit themselves. I do however, agree that you have accomplished your mission of encourage arguments and spicing things up - troll on.

I dont see how encouraging opposing views (like your own) can be seen as trolling. As for being childish, i present to you my rebuttal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

to the OP, My uncle used to say scientists are educated lunatics. Just his opinion on science in general. My other uncle used to call them apprentice sorcerors :D What we generally have is a lack of trust in the men behind science, probably due in a small way to who is sponsoring science the studies etc. Some murky ground there cos from my limited understanding scientists get sponsored to do research and the results that come out often can be a matter of getting a drug out in the market. Or in the case of tobacco 2 very different opposing views from one group to the other.

In a way it is very similar to some religions where for example if you take a passage from the Bible, put 10 of the top theologians in the room you end up with 10 different opinions. Opinions being the key word here. In science it's proof or theory really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

to the OP, My uncle used to say scientists are educated lunatics. Just his opinion on science in general. My other uncle used to call them apprentice sorcerors :D What we generally have is a lack of trust in the men behind science, probably due in a small way to who is sponsoring science the studies etc. Some murky ground there cos from my limited understanding scientists get sponsored to do research and the results that come out often can be a matter of getting a drug out in the market. Or in the case of tobacco 2 very different opposing views from one group to the other.

In a way it is very similar to some religions where for example if you take a passage from the Bible, put 10 of the top theologians in the room you end up with 10 different opinions. Opinions being the key word here. In science it's proof or theory really.

Scientific research is funded, but I'd hardly call the EPA, SFI, IRCSET etc... to be some clandestine bodies under the guise of the Illuminati. Scientific research has to be in some way verifiable, you can't just come out with something only to then find out that it was a fluke or you were telling porkies. Yes, people should have trust scientific research and results but you question them with informed critique. I'll give you an example;

Suppose Mr. Ford writes an article detailing research he has done which shows that CO2 emissions over the last 200 years are not 'unnaturally' high and that he has carried out research on palaeoclimatology from the Eocene epoch in which temperatures were massively higher than present and that CO2 levels were in the order of >500ppm etc...

Now suppose Mr. Green comes along, examines Ford's evidence and gives it a good scrutiny, now ignoring the fact that Ford looked at a totally different time period that has absolutely nothing to do with even the Pleistocene or Holocene, but he specifically picks on the CO2 aspect. Green conclusively shows that the isotope of carbon known as 12C is consistently rising and has a strong correlation with CO2. And that this form of carbon is only ever found in fossilised carbon, like coal and oil. And that evidence strongly points to the fact that CO2, although not as high as Ford's estimates, is still increasing with the release of fossilised carbon, and this indicates strongly that anthropogenic activities are causing this release etc...

Now, there's two arguments, equally valid (to a point). The point being, unless you want to be ostracised in the scientific community and have your work called into question (both by fellow academics and your employer), then it doesn't pay to mess up the research or produce shoddy or shady work. Eventually, you'll get caught and be 'shown up'. The example I've used here shows that, it's always good and extremely necessary and pertinent to challenge scientific view points and question data. The key bit is this though, don't do it because you hear it on the news or you read it on boards or it's from some rather dodgey or politcally-economically/financially motivated individual. Question the results with your own work, or peer-reviewed work of others. The underlined bits are also important, you should never, ever make clear cut statements about something because it's harder to prove than disprove. That's a very important point to remember, and you don't need to be a scientist to know that one.

Advertisement