Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to sell your stuff lads....

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

17 :D Well 18 on Tuesday.

I collect mainly because I don't remember the 16 bit and before era. I grew up on the PS1 but wish I had have grown up on the NES or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why do you have to have played something the first time around to want to play it/own it?

This hobby isn't just about nostalgia. Actually it's a bit anti nostalgia as it takes off the rose tinted glasses and stamps on them.

It's about good games being good games. Whether they were released 5 years ago or 30 years ago...on whatever platform.

That's fair enough. For me I really just want to replay stuff I played when I was younger - I'm about your age - as well as games I couldn't/didn't get around to playing when they were out.

I'm of the Mega Drive age and despite having had an Atari 2600Jr with a 52-in-1 cartridge I've not really much desire to play anything pre-Mega Drive. After the Mega Drive my brother got a Playstation though he flirted with getting a Mega -CD but still I really only want to play MD games and PSX games. If I come across a Mega CD or even a 32X that's not too expensive I might get it some day out of curiosity but it's not a priority.

I never heard of the Atari Jaguar so I've no interest in that.

I was big into the Playstation and considering that the Saturn was a sort of failed rival I'm sort of curious about it but I doubt I'll bother hounding down a Japanese one or whatever, I saw a console + pad for £10 in England the other week so I might go for that kinda thing someday.

I loved the N64 but never had one - always played my cousin's or best friend's- so I had to get an N64 and many of the games I played plus a few others.

So I'm not just about only playing games for nostalgia. Maybe just nostalgic for the consoles. I've bought a good few MD, N64 and PSX games I never played at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I started off something similar to yourself, trying to rebuy all the Megadrive games I'd played/rented when I was younger. Which was indeed the nostalgia factor. I never sold my original console and games, but I'd really played crap loads over the years. Took me a few years to get most of them.

I find what happens is you go through phases. Collected Nintendo stuff for a good while, then branched off into the Neo Geo and arcade hardware for about a year, followed by the PS1 and a brief spell with the 2600..now I'm back to Sega and going through my Saturn/Dreamcast phase. :D

I'm always buying Megadrive games. If there weren't so many crap ones I'd go for a complete PAL collection.

I'll also never say no to a console in the wild. Even if I have multiples. They're like lost children which need to be given to a new home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I'll also never say no to a console in the wild. Even if I have multiples. They're like lost children which need to be given to a new home :)

O RLY?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65802872&postcount=822

He said there was a second n64 there too but didn't buy it.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Master of the Universe

Yeah, my mate didn't buy it. If I was there I'd have bought both :P

• Advertisement

its another console im still dying for. along with a few other nintendo's, funny since i grew up on sega and sony consoles, had an n64 and it died, had a gamecube and my friend killed it, both whilst they were still selling games for them (ok i was young when the n64 went and gamecube was like ps2 is now)
    i still want them back damnit

Master of the Universe

Your n64 died? How?! I'm fairly sure they'd withstand a nuclear blast. We'll still be playing Mario 64 after the holocaust.

well,(now remember i was like 12) a friend of mine came into school with some cartridge pcb with a nintendo logo on it, i seen this and he gave it to me, cue me bringing it home and getting a bright idea to try this in my n64 cartridge slot, it killed it :( did try to have it cleaned at the time but it was all in vain and my savage little n64 was gone forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Just saw people were posting their ages, turned 25 a few days ago, was a NES/gameboy child

19, older bro had a megadrive, have some vague memories of a 2600/commodore 64 from when i was a small child

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the 19-21 people are lucky they didnt have the days of getting stuff on tape or floppy and then it wouldn't blooming work or it had a read error :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

28, my first gaming memory is finding my brand new Atari 2600 in the cupboard a few weeks before xmas. Seen a joystick on the box and nearly had a coranary. Cant remember how old I was but they were being retailed at the time.

My next one is waking up a few years later on xmas morning to a brand new C64 (still have it). Alas, there was no plug on the transformer (despite it being brand new) so I had an agonising few hours wait until my mother got up to fit a plug on it for me :o

Moving onwards another few years, the dawn of the 16bit era had arrived. My good mate was getting a Street Fighter 2 SNES pack for xmas, and to say I was jealous didnt even begin to describe the emotion. I cant remember what I was getting (santa no longer came to me by now), but it wasnt a snes. Low and behold, my mate came bursting around to me on xmas eve with news that a chap around the corner was selling a brand new & boxed Mario World SNES...well I had some convincing to do with my mother, but in the end she relented. I got my SNES that year, and to this day, the sight of a snes joypad fills me with hapiness (seriously!) :D

The next year was probably my best xmas ever. The dawn of the 16bit era had really got me into serious gaming, and I was eager to try more serious gaming. I wanted something more than a shooter/fighter. I wanted Zelda 3. I had never played it, never knew what it was about - I just read the back of the box & knew I wanted it, so I bought it. I left it sitting there during the build up to xmas, every day looking at the box, the map, reading the book...but I was adament not to begin it until xmas morning. It just so happened that year, that a few days before xmas, I came home from school to a massive parcel box from the states. A relation from the states had sent me something. Something big, and more importantly heavy :p. Upon ripping the box apart, it was like a scene from the sword & the stone. A Genesis, a Genesis CD & a 32X. I powered on the system to test it, and tried all the games except one...Snatcher CD. After reading the box, I decided to Give Zelda a brother. I was gonna wait till xmas to play the two of them...& my god what an xmas morning that was. It was never surpassed & never will be now given my age.

From then onwards I was on my own with gaming. I picked up a megadrive somewhere, & a mastersystem II. I also read avidly about this new fangled M2, which was gonna make the 3D0 the next best thing :rolleyes: But before long, a new device had my attention. The Playstation. It was 300 pounds, I was about 15 or so...the obstacles were immense. I had no option, I had to sell everything I had to be able to afford this beast. Being 15, older consoles had little meaning ot me back then so it wasnt much of a problem. I think I raised about 200 pounds, and got an interest free loan from my mother for the rest :p I remember getting the bus into Virgin Megastores, up the escalator, swing over to the right, head over towards the windows - "Can I have a Playstation please?"...I left Virgin like a presidential minder that day. I remember being BLOWN AWAY that xmas morning by the graphical power on my tv...

That was the beginning of the end for me with consoles that year, I never kept up with later generations after that. I guess it was growing up & doing the things that 16/17/18 year olds do. It was only later on, when I first discovered emulators that I got the bug again. I decided to regain everything I had once owned (and then some). Its taken quite a few years, but with the exception of a 2600, I have nearly everything that was mainstream. But to this day, as you can see above, I still hold xmas morning like a little special day for gaming events. Every year I try to get some classic or something I missed, and play it for the first time on xmas morning. This year, Im hitting Policenaughts on the PS1. Its fully translated, and if its as good as Snatcher, Ill be a happy camper in a few months.

Sh1t look at the lenght of this thread, I only meant to tell my age :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

36 and i went down the home computer route in the form of Spectrum 48k and then later on a 128k+, the hours of loading games to have them fail at the end aaagh! :)
    i then for some reason had a BBC Micro for a while but went back to playing on my Speccy
    Next came the Amiga 500 and later the Amiga 1200 loved them except when games like Monkey Island came on 14 disks and you had to swap disks when moving from one room to the next, oh how i longing looked at the 40mb HDD in the magazines :)
    since then it has been the playstations and pc gaming but they will never have as big a place in my heart as the older systems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Fred83 wrote: »
    the 19-21 people are lucky they didnt have the days of getting stuff on tape or floppy and then it wouldn't blooming work or it had a read error :mad:

Or typing it in.. Lots of games only came as listings.. Poster on one side.. The basic/hex code on the other side..

Spend 3 hours typing it all in.. it crashes, back to square one.. a month later you get the correction printed in the next edition ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Input_magazine_cover_ed_001.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Fred83 wrote: »
    Input_magazine_cover_ed_001.gif

lol I actually have every issue of Input at home (in the nice snazzy black and silver binders)

Advertisement